Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The world is messed up because the Universe is over 15 billion years old and now it's entering its old age where it becomes a bitter old man who just wants to see humanity suffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Baba Ganoush posted:

Some nerds like to postulate that there are aliens right? I don't disagree. Now CareyB living out her own path to an aliums may not be of interest because they might realize you're a temporary spec of consciousness on a planet they aren't really a part of. Not only that but that individual(Carrey) thinks her own temporary life is so significant that she might even think she will live forever (or be more important than the millions who lived their lives before her). Kind of silly, right?

What exactly are you trying to say?

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Pitdragon posted:

What exactly are you trying to say?

That the world can't be messed up, in the simplest terms.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Baba Ganoush posted:

Some nerds like to postulate that there are aliens right? I don't disagree. Now CareyB living out her own path to an aliums may not be of interest because they might realize you're a temporary spec of consciousness on a planet they aren't really a part of. Not only that but that individual(Carrey) thinks her own temporary life is so significant that she might even think she will live forever (or be more important than the millions who lived their lives before her). Kind of silly, right?

The consciousness is everywhere though, it's not a part of the physical world that is perceived through our brains - which have evolved as they have purely to allow us to survive. You can feel when someones looking at you across a room. You have gut instinct. Everything has a level of consciousness based on the sum of all it's parts. Quantum entanglement shows that particles can communicate without physical connections as we realise them. The number of infinity is the connection between all things in nature but it's the power of the human brain and it's consciousness that allows us to manipulate and influence this going forward. It's the perception of the physical world that has ultimately led us to where we are today. Worshipping money, corporations and distorted deitys that are so far removed from the original message they are now merely tools to control others.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Baba Ganoush posted:

That the world can't be messed up, in the simplest terms.

Oh, I guess we agree.

As to the original OP question my personal theory is that things have always been this way, it's just now we have modern technology to put a spotlight on it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

CareyB posted:

The consciousness is everywhere though

What evidence do you have for this idea?

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

CareyB posted:

The consciousness is everywhere though, it's not a part of the physical world that is perceived through our brains - which have evolved as they have purely to allow us to survive. You can feel when someones looking at you across a room. You have gut instinct. Everything has a level of consciousness based on the sum of all it's parts. Quantum entanglement shows that particles can communicate without physical connections as we realise them. The number of infinity is the connection between all things in nature but it's the power of the human brain and it's consciousness that allows us to manipulate and influence this going forward. It's the perception of the physical world that has ultimately led us to where we are today. Worshipping money, corporations and distorted deitys that are so far removed from the original message they are now merely tools to control others.

Can't argue with that.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
God damnit this is GBS we aren't supposed to agree with each other we're supposed to be arguing in circles about our unprovable positions for the next 4-10 pages.

You're right OP, something has changed.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
this world.... pretty hosed up

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this thread has gotten pretty deep for me i better watch matrix reloaded a few times ive got a lot of catching up to do

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

The Dennis System posted:

What evidence do you have for this idea?

There's tons of it, however it takes a level of "faith". And some will reject it because of this, but if you open yourself up to it you will realise how the universe is formed and that you are capable of incredible things.

I can't really put down everything here (at work) and there is literally enough to be communicated in some form of bible. Basically...

The golden ratio is used in graphic design and art and shows a rectangle that can be sub-divided into itself infinitely.

The same ratio, based on the number of infinity, is shown here "to show the key, between the mysterious relationship between mass and energy use in animals" and show how the mesasurements of a single tree determine how an entire rainforest works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJcmlqYrEk

The brain is also fractal. Every connection that is made is based on the same competition system that exists throughout nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo0X2ZdElQ4
8 mins in, he talks about consciousness and how it can't be measured through material science.

Also talks about distinguished scientists and how they see consciousness and the universe as a giant thought, rather than a giant machine. (Plank, Einstein. Did you know Pythagorus and Newton wrote more on spiritualism than science?)

I was originally looking for a seperate TED talk that showed thousands of Yogi's going into various cities around the world and meditiating and measuring the results. The stock market in Tel-Aviv went up, violent crime in Chicago went down, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity

"Loop quantum gravity (LQG) is a theory that attempts to describe the quantum properties of gravity. It is also a theory of quantum space and quantum time, because, according to general relativity, the geometry of spacetime is a manifestation of gravity. LQG is an attempt to merge and adapt standard quantum mechanics and standard general relativity. The main output of the theory is a physical picture of space where space is granular. The granularity is a direct consequence of the quantization. It has the same nature as the granularity of the photons in the quantum theory of electromagnetism or the discrete levels of the energy of the atoms. But here, it is space itself that is discrete."

ie. everything is quantized based on the equations of infinity and fractal patterns.

"the consequences of LQG are radical, because they fundamentally change the nature of space and time and provide a tentative but detailed physical and mathematical picture of quantum spacetime."

When you're attracted to someone, or when they are attracted to you. I mean proper life long partner level attraction, we are immediately drawn to this person (or them us in my case as I rarely notice it first....) But there is nethertheless a real connection that exists there that attracts us together. What is this? Well it's one persons life experiences matching in some esoteric way with anothers. These connections only become known and real once you get to know each other... but something drew you together in the first place... for example, my last girl was a vegeterian for 5 years and I'd just turned veggie, her dad grows weed, I smoke weed, he's also in a creative industry as am I, she's just started DJing, I make music. The list goes on, the point is this girl came from nowhere sat down next to me in the pub and we just got talking. What actually draws people together is this conscious energy that we give off as a product of who we are and what we think. Point being the consciousness on this level just is, we don't think about it, we just think about how hungry or thirsty we are or how much we want that new job, but everything that has been built inside us through our previous experiences (and how we handle that personally in the here and now) makes us who we really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9dP9F5nKpY

FBI agent discovers plants have consciouness.

This is proven further on mythbusters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStmk7e9lJo

Now material scientists have taken this into the lab and done tests and shown nothing, but i feel there is one very real issue with how these tests are done... If you are telling people to behave in exactly the same way each time, say the same things, walk the same way, be a robot basically but in your mind intend to do something one way or another.. the plant is never going to respond to you because you are not acting a truly natural way. If you're not being natural, your body is not giving off the connections that will allow the plant to realise you intend to harm it. I believe this way of thinking is basically permeating the continued belief that living things don't have consciousness despite there being very real proof to the contrary.

This has been scrawled down and I may not do it justice but happy to defend or expand on anything written above. A lot of it will require you to do you own research on the back of it all. God knows I was sceptical for the longest time (hence the mythbusters video..) but now everything makes sense and like I said earlier in the thread, despite the planet being near as makes no difference totally hosed I am happier than I ever have been because I feel I am making a positive difference in every way I can.

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 25, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

why are you here posting on a dying internet forum instead of doing these "amazing things" with your secret knowledge

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Torka posted:

why are you here posting on a dying internet forum instead of doing these "amazing things" with your secret knowledge

I am doing amazing things every day. Why dont you watch the videos I posted up :)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The thing thats changed in the (Western) world is that we're all waiting for the other shoe to drop and we don't know where it's going to come from. There, zeitgeist identified, move along now

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

nah op its p chill. just gotta be one with your zen. namaste.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

CareyB posted:

I am doing amazing things every day. Why dont you watch the videos I posted up :)

Holy crap man lay off the drugs

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Pitdragon posted:

Pitdragon posted:

I laid off the drugs a couple of months ago thanks

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
nothing crazy for me
just good old fashioned scientology

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

chaos reigns

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nah the world is getting better op, you're just getting worse :cool:

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
That slow spread of malaise you are experiencing is because as a human, as *life*, you have millions of years of evolution driving you to kill in order to live, but civilization has denied you that experience.

Until now, OP.

Murder you;re famil

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

TEAYCHES posted:

CARCOSA CARCOSA

THE YELLOW KING

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Yaldabaoth posted:

The world is messed up because the Universe is over 15 billion years old and now it's entering its old age where it becomes a bitter old man who just wants to see humanity suffer

This is the best, most accurate answer.

Stay vigilant, stay safe. Stay puft marshmallows.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

googootiger posted:

shouldnt this book be titled "jacking off in a dark room"

I want to start calling it "bowling alone"

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

googootiger posted:

ever since the late 2000s ive been slowly overcome by this pervasive sense that things just aren't....right. I cant tell if I'm projecting my own fears onto everything else, just getting older, or the world is getting slowly worse in a really creepy way. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's just business as usual.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
corporations are people my friend, the cool black dude did not solve anything, it's looking like we're about to go balls deep in the middle east again, nobody went to to jail for 2008, and we've given up on space exploration pretty much

I mean that's what i see but maybe it isn't what you were thinking about OP

circ dick soleil posted:

It's just business as usual.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Monkey Fracas posted:

corporations are people my friend, the cool black dude did not solve anything, it's looking like we're about to go balls deep in the middle east again, nobody went to to jail for 2008, and we've given up on space exploration pretty much

I mean that's what i see but maybe it isn't what you were thinking about OP

I wish I was a corporation. My profit margins are zilch, my revenue equals expenditure at the best of times; wages - (rent + food + utilities + booze) < 0. Guess that means I don't pay any tax, if I was a corporation. Good thing I'm not publicly traded, otherwise some other douchebag will own me after an easy hostile takeover.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CareyB posted:

God knows I was sceptical for the longest time (hence the mythbusters video..) but now everything makes sense

:stare:

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

googootiger posted:

I was sitting in Penn station recently waiting to meet up with a friend really bored with nothing to do. Being there for a couple hours I noticed a recorded message plays on repeat about once every five minutes. It's a very stern woman's voice warning passengers that they must have their luggage secured at all times. She goes on to say that luggage may be searched at any time and k-9 units conduct regular walks through the terminal and that you are not permitted to pet them. It ends with, and I poo poo you not, "If you see something, say something. And remember....Stay safe."

Like, its a little thing I suppose, but does that just seem not normal to anyone else? It's something I expect to hear in a campy 80s movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Did it say you can't make eye contact with a K9 while bouncing a tennis ball?

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

i appreciate an earnest post.

this thread is hammer lickin good

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hello yes no actually this is how every generation has been since forever.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

googootiger posted:

I was sitting in Penn station recently waiting to meet up with a friend really bored with nothing to do. Being there for a couple hours I noticed a recorded message plays on repeat about once every five minutes. It's a very stern woman's voice warning passengers that they must have their luggage secured at all times. She goes on to say that luggage may be searched at any time and k-9 units conduct regular walks through the terminal and that you are not permitted to pet them. It ends with, and I poo poo you not, "If you see something, say something. And remember....Stay safe."

Like, its a little thing I suppose, but does that just seem not normal to anyone else? It's something I expect to hear in a campy 80s movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

It sounds like they want to keep their airports safe.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

CareyB posted:

Basically give it 20 years there'll likely be a mass extinction event, do what you can to prevent it, if you care.

Lmao if you think anything short of a gamma ray burts could wipe out the human race.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
if you think a mass extinction is coming in twenty years, well, you're just really dumb yo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's all goin' to poo poo Bandy-ran, time to end 'er bud

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

imagine my surprise to realize that the kyoon smiley is gone

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

the Bunt posted:

if you think a mass extinction is coming in twenty years, well, you're just really dumb yo

ur gunna look really stupid when an asteroid comes from behind the sun and suckerpunches the earth in the face

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
getting old sucks. just vote republican and watch fox news and pretend like the world isn't changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

the Bunt posted:

yeah everyone knows it is actually happening in 23 years.

January 19, 2038 03:14:08 GMT

• Locked thread