Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is best, Celsius or Fahrenheit?
Celsius is best
I'm an idiot
View Results

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

the point is that you're clinging onto the tiniest of threads and all you have left is that you like your one because on a average day its between 0 and 100.

what if i told you that the top speed limit in nz is 100km/h
are you all of a sudden gonna wanna start using km/h because your average daily driving speeds are betwen 0 and 100

its literally the same argument but i bet you give no fucks about mph being on a less-than-aesthetically pleasing scale

in texas the highest speed limit is 85mph and people regularly drive 95-100 on that road so mph suits my needs in this regard thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

when has anyone ever needed to know this? it's like when metric people try to prove how clever they are by asking how many rods are in a mile or something.

quick foreigns: without looking it up, how many decimeters are in a hectometer?

1000?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
no im right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
see? owned.

whereas everybody can remember 5280 in a mile, or 212 is water boiling

metric is easily confusing because all the numbers are the same just with zeroes on the end

imperial gives you interesting numbers that are easy to memorize

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody will debate that driving a beautiful scenic mountain road with dips and turns is less boring than driving i-70 across west kansas' endless flat cornfields. metric is those cornfields. just seas of zeroes and zeroes to bore you and cause you to make some easy mistakes because you didnt move a decimal point correctly. imperial measurement = safety through awareness

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow imperial is your one direction huh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the point is that you're clinging onto the tiniest of threads and all you have left is that you like your one because on a average day its between 0 and 100.

what if i told you that the top speed limit in nz is 100km/h
are you all of a sudden gonna wanna start using km/h because your average daily driving speeds are betwen 0 and 100

its literally the same argument but i bet you give no fucks about mph being on a less-than-aesthetically pleasing scale
actually mph works great as long as your speed is about 60 mph b/c on the highway i can figure that im going about a mile a minute so when a sign gives distance to the exit that also defines the fraction of minute i have to be in the correct place

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
can we all just agree kibibytes are loving stupid?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tin Gang posted:

can we all just agree kibibytes are loving stupid?

i am going to start measuring distance in kibifeet just to make everyone in this thread mad.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
5.15625 kibifeet in a mile

60 mph is roughly 310 kibifeet/hour, so the conversion works out to be a nice non-power of ten imperial conversion number.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 25, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
celcius is excellent and america is not very good :)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Metrication posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Metrication posted:

i feel like you might have a dog in this fight

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

metric sucks because they sell a 500ml bottle for the same price as a 20oz

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my arbitrary dad could totally measure up to your arbitrary dad

also i came to say nobody uses hecto and then i remembered that's what a hectare is

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
this thread is retarded as hell jfc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Doc Block posted:

point was that 0 - 100 F is the range of temps humans commonly live in/experience.

people's individual temperature preferences within that range are irrelevant to F or C.

actually it's -40 to 40c hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I brought myself down to the level of defending my home countries measurement system on the basis of aesthetic appeal of scale and it owned me

never again

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Metrication posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I brought myself down to the level of defending my home countries measurement system on the basis of aesthetic appeal of scale and it owned me

never again

the trick is just to say the thing that works for you is by definition good and then pack a few handfuls of oatmeal in with the mealworms

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

computer parts posted:

90% of the metric system is completely arbitrary

lol what's a kilogram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram#Stability_of_the_international_prototype_kilogram

quote:

What has become clear after the third periodic verification performed between 1988 and 1992 is that masses of the entire worldwide ensemble of prototypes have been slowly but inexorably diverging from each other. It is also clear that the mass of the IPK lost perhaps 50 µg over the last century, and possibly significantly more, in comparison to its official copies.

turns out we have no idea! gently caress it, add more zeros because anything other than base 10 is hard

what's a meter?

quote:

The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.

yeah cool let me measure that in my house and then add more loving zeros

the metric system is exactly as stupid as the imperial system

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lol what's a kilogram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram#Stability_of_the_international_prototype_kilogram

turns out we have no idea! gently caress it, add more zeros because anything other than base 10 is hard

what's a meter?

except when casually used it is substantially easier. the maths underlying it's measurement may be more complex, but for the layman who gives no shits they can comfortably state that there are a 100 centimetres in a meter.

to the dude who was saying 'what is a hexameter' or whatever, who the gently caress in their day to day use of measurements uses loving hexameters you clot.

none of this applies to me since I measure distance by Olympic swimming pools.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ocrassus posted:

wifi finically

lol same

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i wonder if anyone had done an experiment with imperial and metric users to see who can more accurately estimate volume, distance etc with their respective system

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ocrassus posted:

none of this applies to me since I measure distance by Olympic swimming pools.

the olympic swimming pool is a measure of fluid volume, length is measured in football fields

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

to the dude who was saying 'what is a hexameter' or whatever, who the gently caress in their day to day use of measurements uses loving hexameters you clot.

right so you can't then go "lol the imperial system has furlongs"

everyone knows 12 inches are in a foot and four quarts are in a gallon and 4 and 12 are numbers just as easy to work with as 10

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody will debate that driving a beautiful scenic mountain road with dips and turns is less boring than driving i-70 across west kansas' endless flat cornfields. metric is those cornfields. just seas of zeroes and zeroes to bore you and cause you to make some easy mistakes because you didnt move a decimal point correctly. imperial measurement = safety through awareness

so you're saying your posts are metric?

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
when you use fahrenheit you can set your thermostat to 69 degrees

proof is in the pudding

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lol what's a kilogram

what's a meter?

p much because all measurement systems are arbitrary

for good-enough measurements you can take 111 moles of hydrogen, burn them to make water and derive the other units from the litre of water you get out of that

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

.lnk to the past posted:

proof is in the pudding

yeah it proves that its a joke of a system!!!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
drat decimal systems are so dumb base 12 is natural to use *estimates distances in tens of feet*

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Metrication posted:

drat decimal systems are so dumb base 12 is natural to use *estimates distances in tens of feet*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
And be it remembered that the iron yard of our Lord the King containeth 3 feet and no more, and a foot ought to contain 12 inches by the right measure of this yard measured, to wit, the 36th part of this yard rightly measured maketh 1 inch neither more nor less and 5 yards and a half make a perch that is 16 feet and a half measured by the aforesaid yard of our Lord the King.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
iron yard sounds better

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

my stepdads beer posted:

'hello this is my horse he is 16 hands and 4 stone i love him a lot'

you, around the water cooler

unironically this

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i'll show you my iron yard ;)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Metrication posted:

i'll show you my vale yard ;)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

.lnk to the past posted:

proof is in the pudding

i could set my thermostat to 69c and things would definitely get hot :wink:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Doc Block posted:

fahrhehnheiht
50: uncomfortably cold
60: chilly, cold, etc. can stay out in it for a bit.
70-75: ideal indoor temp
80: comfortably warm. great temp for doing stuff outdoors.
90: uncomfortably warm. outdoor activities start to get unfun.
100: just flat out hot. hope u got AC
110: my eyes are boiling
120: gently caress poo poo drat

celsuis
10: uncomfortably cold (50f)
20: a tad under ideal temp (68F)
30: pretty warm, getting kinda uncomfortable (86F)
40: lol hot as poo poo, hope u got AC (104F)
50: gently caress poo poo drat (122F)

0 is freezing
10 is not
20 is warm
30 is hot

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flakeloaf posted:

the olympic swimming pool is a measure of fluid volume, length is measured in football fields

or rhode islands

• Locked thread