Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is best, Celsius or Fahrenheit?
Celsius is best
I'm an idiot
View Results

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
whatever you grew up with is the best for your personal uses snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

counterpoint: i grew up with fahrenheit but moved to celsiusland and it only took me about a year to be more comfortable in celsius

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Doc Block posted:

when has anyone ever needed to know this? it's like when metric people try to prove how clever they are by asking how many rods are in a mile or something.

quick foreigns: without looking it up, how many decimeters are in a hectometer?

and i know it because learning words, and definitions, is not as hard as americans want it to be

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Hearing Americans trying to use inches, pounds and Fahrenheit to do engineering is loving hilarious to anyone not american just FYI. Especially when y'all start confusing pounds mass and pounds force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jammyozzy posted:

Hearing Americans trying to use inches, pounds and Fahrenheit to do engineering is loving hilarious to anyone not american just FYI. Especially when y'all start confusing pounds mass and pounds force.

i'm not sure anyone under 40 actually likes using imperial units for anything outside of casual stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jammyozzy posted:

pounds mass and pounds force.

I don't believe that you are in regular contact with Americans that are working on something that requires such an esoteric distinction yet still use imperial to express it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jammyozzy posted:

i learned about slugs in high school physics sorry that you know some terrible engineers

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I wish I wasn't, but the world ain't perfect.

Next up, when is a gallon not a gallon?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i learned about slugs in high school physics sorry that you know some terrible engineers

i didn't even learn that

like literally it was completely metric and maybe "1 inch = 2.5 cm", we didn't do anything with mass or energy or anything like that

reminds me, i found out that some extra special engineers tried to develop an imperial unit for electricity that was basically btu-e(lectrical) :lol:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

computer parts posted:

i'm not sure anyone under 40 actually likes using imperial units for anything outside of casual stuff

frankly i don't really ccare for the imperial system but it's what im surrounded with so it's what i can estimate in, hth

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

the olympic swimming pool is a measure of fluid volume, length is measured in football fields

I use an Olympic swimming pool as a measure of distance because of literally how many tortured lengths I have had to do. all throughout my life I have been swimming in 50 meter increments, and now whenever I have to estimate the distance of something visually I will do so by comparing it to the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol if 110f is painfully hot u never experienced a desert summer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ocrassus posted:

I use an Olympic swimming pool as a measure of distance because of literally how many tortured lengths I have had to do. all throughout my life I have been swimming in 50 meter increments, and now whenever I have to estimate the distance of something visually I will do so by comparing it to the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

same but agonizing trips to the fridge for another ice cold can of mtn dew

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
canada is weird but also the best of all possible worlds, as usual

height: feet and inches
distance between cities: kilometers
speed: km/h
dick size and other personal measurements: inches
land area: acres
furniture: BOTH argh! (thanks ikea)
temperature: celcius

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
as an american, celsius is better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
please do not pretend to be American. no real American uses celsius

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
someone from america please defend using dumb american paper sizes instead of the clearly superior iso 216 standard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when there are competing ansi and iso standards, ansi is usually correct. a4 is overly long and stupid. you can tell its poo poo because they named it "a4" and everyone calls the correct size for letters "Letter".

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

someone from america please defend using dumb american paper sizes instead of the clearly superior iso 216 standard

nah i'm with you on paper sizes

the metric system is dumb but they have good ideas about paper sizes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

rear end cobra posted:

switching would likely involve giving money to hp for new printers

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

i didn't even learn that

like literally it was completely metric and maybe "1 inch = 2.5 cm", we didn't do anything with mass or energy or anything like that

reminds me, i found out that some extra special engineers tried to develop an imperial unit for electricity that was basically btu-e(lectrical) :lol:

lol if you use anything but cgs for electrical work

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Metrication posted:

drat decimal systems are so dumb base 12 is natural to use *estimates distances in tens of feet*

did you know your hands are actually base 11

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
on one hand it being 83° right now sounds kinda nice

on the other it being 28.7° does not

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you can also encode numbers with your fingers up to 2^10 and I think some ancient central American civilization counted that way

but they're all dead so that just goes to show you don't count in base 2

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

on one hand it being 83° right now sounds kinda nice

on the other it being 28.7° does not

it's actually 83.2° right now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

nobody who doesn't own a train whistle reckons daily temperatures with decimal places

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
when has a paper size standard ever had an effect on your life?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
So wait, do the whole US use different size papers than the rest of the world do as well?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tin Gang posted:

actually for real using A4 instead of letter is really really convenient when doing documents because of how it scales.
so at least twice a week if not more

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Tin Gang posted:

figuring out which paper goes into which envelope or printing multiple pages per sheet

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
American paper still scales it's just your margins get hosed up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's actually 83.2° right now

wunderground uses decimals for celcuius but not fahrenheit because who the gently caress cares in fahrenheit

when i used to live up north 28.7° would probably be correct for today too anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh i guess the decimals depend on the weather station

who cares anyway. dirty foreigners thats who

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
American paper not only is hosed but has an unpleasing h/w ratio

it's too fat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

carry on then posted:

lol if 110f is painfully hot u never experienced a desert summer

temperature is meaningless without humidity. 110 in the desert isn't as bad as a tropical 90

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is this the thread to complain about america using e26 light fixtures when the rest of the world is on the e27 standard?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

is this the thread to complain about america using e26 light fixtures when the rest of the world is on the e27 standard?

yes please keep going

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rear end cobra posted:

yes please keep going

that's about it, really

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

light fixtures are easy to replace there's really no excuse not to have whatever size lightbulb you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

has anyone mentioned dates yet :iamafag:

• Locked thread