Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Travis343 posted:

I'm using Victor Sant's scripts for the battle system. It requires at least three scripts and a fuckload of custom graphics but it is really versatile and customizable as hell. Victor himself is a very...prickly individual but his scripts are really good once you get them figured out.

Sadly, I never figured out the Bust script. I probably have to draw them. If so, I don't have the artistic talent to do so.

SystemLogoff posted:

*System Logoff kicks a folder with all his horrible RPG attempts under the stairs.

Believe me, you're not going to be happy with your first, or second...

Dude, I've scrapped maybe 15 by now. I know what you mean. I got quite far into my 15th one as well, had about 100 maps done.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When I first started messing with RPG makers back in the hazy days of RM95 I had a Mega Man game and a FF7/Chrono Trigger crossover. Yep.

Silegna, you do need custom pictures for the busts. You don't have to draw them yourself though. There are lots of busts out there if you're not an art person. There's probably more people developing resources for RPG maker games than there are actually making games with the thing. You may have to sign up for a few forums to get to them but they're out there.

I don't know how cool the OP is with this becoming the RPG Maker Megathread though so I'm gonna be quiet for now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Silegna posted:

Sadly, I never figured out the Bust script. I probably have to draw them. If so, I don't have the artistic talent to do so.

Use crude MSPaint line drawings, replace them later.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Drakenel posted:

There is something to be said for unraveling the tools and making something functional, no matter how basic.

poo poo, does anyone remember there was an rpg maker 3 for the ps2? I messed with that. I sucked for so long, but as a kid I actually made up to a two dungeon zombie rpg. With characters, temporarily allies, functional dungeons with bosses traps and loot, and cutscenes agonizingly typed out with the stupid controller. I was so drat proud of the initial camp scene, where it was overrun and rescued soldier joined your party in their rescue battles, and fighting the zombies inside the rest and heal building would allow you to use it again, and saving an npc out on the map opened up a shop.

The dialogue was stupid, the dungeon design entirely linear, and balance was stupidly easy. But gently caress I was proud of it. It was objectively terrible, but I was happy I made something.
I remember RPG Maker for PS2! Oh man, typing out dialogue with the controller was a total pain. And I could never get battles with NPCs to work. Still, it was fun to mess around with, and it was kind of cool designing in 3D. Neverwinter Nights was better on basically every level, though.

MrAptronym posted:

Space Funeral is certainly a game, a game which was made with RPGmaker.

And it's amazing. Everyone who plays or designs RPGmaker games should play Space Funeral.

Has anyone mentioned Tales of the Drunken Paladin ( http://www.drunkenpaladin.com/ ) yet? It's not perfect, but the way the creator did different descriptions for basically every object in the game and made a reasonable effort to make them funny is kind of awe-inspiring. I'm even willing to forgive the unavoidable random encounters. Drunken Paladin is a Good RPG Maker Game, and it shows a kind of depth I don't think would be practical in a commercial game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

avoraciopoctules posted:

I remember RPG Maker for PS2! Oh man, typing out dialogue with the controller was a total pain. And I could never get battles with NPCs to work. Still, it was fun to mess around with, and it was kind of cool designing in 3D. Neverwinter Nights was better on basically every level, though.

And it's amazing. Everyone who plays or designs RPGmaker games should play Space Funeral.

Has anyone mentioned Tales of the Drunken Paladin ( http://www.drunkenpaladin.com/ ) yet? It's not perfect, but the way the creator did different descriptions for basically every object in the game and made a reasonable effort to make them funny is kind of awe-inspiring. I'm even willing to forgive the unavoidable random encounters. Drunken Paladin is a Good RPG Maker Game, and it shows a kind of depth I don't think would be practical in a commercial game.

You know, I can probably count the "Good" RPG Maker games on one hand that I've played.
I can think of Ib, the Witch's House, Feral Dreams, and uh...those are the ones I've played that were good.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Travis343 posted:

I don't know how cool the OP is with this becoming the RPG Maker Megathread though so I'm gonna be quiet for now.

Oh I'm totally cool with it. I don't know a ton of how to code in Ruby so I'm learning stuff here and it's just great to see people getting really into it.

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
The Way was a decent RPG Maker game. Perhaps mostly because it was an "epic multi-part saga" like so many start, but it actually remembered to finish up its story. Also because it had an interesting enough custom battle system.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Is there an LP going on here, or is it just going to be people shilling their cash-grabs on Steam?

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Considering most of the games that have been mentioned are free? And that I doubt those here actually made the games that have been put forth (no offence!), then...

I've actually played quite a few good RM games. Then again, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to games, so...

Star Stealing Prince is pretty good fantasy. Battles can be a bit hard at times (especially bosses) but the graphics are great and the story is pretty neat.

Remnants of Isolation won the recent $10,000 game competition that Degica held (they're the company that publishes the English side of the RM series) and was pretty good. It uses very edited RTP and custom graphics, the battles are pretty good and require some thought, there's a couple of different endings and the story is pretty unique.

Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer is gritty, dark and I recommend everyone play it once. It's not a long game but it does leave you contemplating things. Warning, though, there's rape and torture in it and it's really not for kids. The subject matter of the game is pretty grim.

Sunset Over Imdahl is an older game but well worth checking out as it is still one of the best to use the parallax mapping technique. The game as a whole is really nice, the story is interesting and the ending is satisfying, if a bit sad. It does have it's issues, but it's a great game non-the-less.

All of these are free to play and well worth checking out. In fact... Most of the games on this list are worth playing.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Silegna posted:

You know, I can probably count the "Good" RPG Maker games on one hand that I've played.
I can think of Ib, the Witch's House, Feral Dreams, and uh...those are the ones I've played that were good.

Play Exit Fate and Space Funeral. I think those are good games, even without the "by RPG Maker standards" qualifier. But yeah, most of the stuff out there isn't very good. You might get a better ratio if you're into artsy horror games, a lot of those have artists who put lots of effort into custom effects.

On the plus side, even playing awful RPG Maker games can give you helpful ideas for your own work with the engine. Victim of Xen's cringe-inducing worldbuilding is really making me want to put a bit more effort into my current project's intro.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I for one am LOVING these suggestions! My job requires that I travel a lot, and my crappy laptop can't run a lot of current AAA games, so RPGMaker stuff is my staple gaming supply on long trips. How long are the above 4 games, by the way? I haven't found anything as lengthy and satisfying as Exit Fate (hell, i haven't found many mainstream RPGs as long and as satisfying).

EDIT: Also count me in as one of the people getting into RPGMaker because of this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I for one am LOVING these suggestions! My job requires that I travel a lot, and my crappy laptop can't run a lot of current AAA games, so RPGMaker stuff is my staple gaming supply on long trips. How long are the above 4 games, by the way? I haven't found anything as lengthy and satisfying as Exit Fate (hell, i haven't found many mainstream RPGs as long and as satisfying).

Check out Demon King Chronicle and Helen's Mysterious Castle on playism. The former is free and the latter costs like 2 bux.
The former is made by the guy who made Arisu Syndrome :unsmigghh:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

avoraciopoctules posted:

Play Exit Fate and Space Funeral. I think those are good games, even without the "by RPG Maker standards" qualifier. But yeah, most of the stuff out there isn't very good. You might get a better ratio if you're into artsy horror games, a lot of those have artists who put lots of effort into custom effects.

On the plus side, even playing awful RPG Maker games can give you helpful ideas for your own work with the engine. Victim of Xen's cringe-inducing worldbuilding is really making me want to put a bit more effort into my current project's intro.

What I'm doing, is having a bit of dialogue setting who the main character is, and then going into the opening lore of the world I'm building. I had to stop working on the database for a while, as I spent easily 15-16 hours in their already. Needed to do some world building before I burned myself out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

silversatyr posted:

Sunset Over Imdahl is an older game but well worth checking out as it is still one of the best to use the parallax mapping technique. The game as a whole is really nice, the story is interesting and the ending is satisfying, if a bit sad. It does have it's issues, but it's a great game non-the-less.

Oh, hey, I remember Imdahl! That was one of the games I found on those old CDs that came with game magazines. I wonder if that means it was originally a German game that got translated to English, or if it was an English game that got translated to German.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Probably German > English, though I'm not 100% sure of that. There was some wonky writing in it which would be explained by translation errors. It's not so bad that it's unplayable but it's a little jarring now and then. The game is pretty great, though.

Quite frankly, there are a lot of good RM games out there, they just don't get seen enough (and there are a literal crap-ton of terrible games) so a lot of people don't know they exist.

avoraciopoctules posted:

This is something that I always tell people they should do when they get seriously about game creation. Just playing bad games shows you what is bad about games and thus, what you should avoid doing in your own creation.

You'd be surprised (or not) how many people do the same mistakes over and over - from slow walk speed/huge maps to slow text speed to over/under decoration, etc. That's not even getting into the technical side of things like items costing too much money for not enough healing juice, healing spells not healing enough to be effective against dying from enemy attacks or even using certain default engine skills that will kill your party at a slow, drawn out rate that is painful to watch. Seriously, don't use the default paralysis party skill.)

Playing bad games can reinforce what not to do as much as playing good games can show you what works well.

Also, play your own game a lot and if anything gets boring or annoying, think long and hard about cutting it. If it's necessary to the game, think about how to make it better so that it's not boring.

Confession: I've been part of the RM scene for about 15 years now (it's my main hobby - I started with the PSX version), so I know a bit about the engines and the games that were made. Always happy to share some advice if it's needed. (But then, isn't everyone?)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 3, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just got a game over in the test RPG I started yesterday.

It's an odd feeling.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
By the way, if anyone wants to learn RGSS3 scripting (aka for RPG Maker VX Ace), I highly recommend DP3's tutorial vids.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19863-rgss3-scripting-tutorial-videos/

Also, try taking scripts and fiddling around with them to figure out how they work. And don't be afraid to hit up the forums and ask questions!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I just got a game over in the test RPG I started yesterday.

It's an odd feeling.

It is. Given most games are easy enough you'll never see that screen. I've actually gotten a bit further in my own game that's been on and off for years now...first boss? I thought I'd be able to fight it at the starting level. Nope. I was quickly handed my rear end on a silver platter.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Just keep in mind that however hard you find it, you players (if you release the game to the public) will find it even harder due to not knowing where everything in your game is and how to combat the enemies in question. It's something a lot of people forget to keep in mind.

Actually, this thread made me want to make more of my own games, so I've been messing with my current one (I have far too many) today. Coming up with new ideas for learning skills can be annoying and hard. I'm not using default level skills (equipment skills crossed with elemental changing energies) so...

Also, I'm pretty weak at coming up with skills in any case. It's something I have to work on.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 3, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

Just keep in mind that however hard you find it, you players (if you release the game to the public) will find it even harder due to not knowing where everything in your game is and how to combat the enemies in question. It's something a lot of people forget to keep in mind.

Actually, this thread made me want to make more of my own games, so I've been messing with my current one (I have far too many) today. Coming up with new ideas for learning skills can be annoying and hard. I'm not using default level skills (equipment skills crossed with elemental changing energies) so...

Also, I'm pretty weak at coming up with skills in any case. It's something I have to work on.

My skill system is interesting, I have everyone able to learn anything. But you have to buy skill books to teach the party member in question, and once you know all the skills the shop has to offer, the shop no longer offers skills.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Update 3: Yes being turned into a Butterfly is an analogue to Trans issues, please don't kinkshame

LAST TIME

SPIDERS

SENILITY

BONKED ON THE HEAD

Despite clearly winning that fight, Will was taken prisoner. I still feel that you should have been able to beat them but you get a scene afterwards where they take you prisoner but that's logical game design and you can't have that.

We wake up in prison already standing because why not. I harp on this a lot but just use an unconscious sprite to symbolise somebody being knocked out or sleeping. I mean sure, there isn't a sprite for them getting to their feet so you'd have to custom sprite that yourself but still.

PICTURED: UNCONSCIOUS SPRITES

The only thing that we can do is talk to this charming fellow.

To say he isn't interested in us is an understatement.

I shouldn't be here. I'm not an Oppress soldier.

Okay then.

Let's help each other out.

What do you have in mind?

Simple. You pretend to be hurt and I attack the guard.

So just turn around and face the wall and it'll go fine.

Ready?

Wait, how do I know I can trust you?

You don't. Ready?

I guess.

Yeah, that's not cliche or anything. Also why would you immediately trust the only other prisoner?

I would have personally had another prisoner in there with you. Have that prisoner showing concern for us while Groucho is all being like "...." and just kinda being distant because he's too cool for school. Here it's just like

"Hi"

"I don't care"

"Well okay then"

"Let's escape"

"Okay then"

Again, why would you trust this guy? You know literally nothing about him. Maybe he's in there for murder or something. Maybe he's in because he's a menace to sobriety. How do you know he isn't going to abandon you as soon as he gets out?

Not even going to say it.

I'm not a girl.

Sssh.

If they think you're a boy then they won't care.

Wait, who's not a girl? I'm so confused.

Are you guys trying to trick me? Because that's very rude.

Gonna keep on bringing up that it's so dumb that we're supposed to be sick/hurt and were just standing with our back turned to the guard. It's nitpicky I know but it's just come up so often that I still feel the need to point it out.

Searching the guard gets us a drink. Fun Fact: Drinks and Food cannot be used in combat.

Wait. I don't even know your name.

It's Markus.

I'm Will.

But I'm not a girl....

Time to get out of here. Markus also comes with zero equipment so we have a minor issue.

I would wager that this room is important.

:stare:

Oh...uh.... so this soldier is planning on huffing something from what I can tell.

This time we can lose this fight.

That is bad. The soldier gets a free turn to use a Combat Bag. Combat Bags provide a hefty boost to all major stats and can ruin your poo poo. So let's take this random soldier down quick.

Markus comes with a skill called Military Strike. I have no idea what a highly trained attack means but I'd have to guess that it's a move that hits for increased damage.

OH HOLY gently caress! This guy can take off almost a third of Wills health thanks to the combat bag. He has to die quickly.
Now imagine if you had no defensive equipment. That's some pretty unfortunate poo poo.

Same XP, gold and item drops as the Oppress Soldiers. If I had to guess, I'd say that the monster entry just cloned them and changed the art. No big deal really since they're generic soldiers and all.

So here's another dick move in regards to weapons. You get a military sword, a shield and a combat bag from the bench. Only one of each though. So if you were unaware that the weapon shop in Serene Town stopped selling weapons when you get transformed then you'd be kinda stuffed since this would be the first weapon that you found.

Let's take out this patrolling guard and also trigger the battle by walking right next to him.

Markus, that's pretty impressive. Keep it up.

We can take these two Markus. Don't be a wimp.

But these two? Yeah, we've got this poo poo.

Or one? What?

Okay then, the second appears on the first turn. Don't know why both can't be there from the start but this is more just kinda confusing.
A battle like this makes Will a fair bit less effective. As I explained earlier, Double Hit attacks two random foes and each individual attack can miss.

Here's a fun game. Guess what Will did three turns in a row.

You know what? I don't think that we have this.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this castle might be a little bit linear. Let's go right.

It's some kind of shindig. Sleeping guards have adrenaline that you can steal. I have no idea what it's for since I haven't gotten a status condition inflicted on me and the description is pretty vague.

Sure

What's at Freeport?

This guy is pretty jolly, I also endorse his cool, cool task of binge drinking.

There are two spilled wine bottles, 5 goblets and 4 bottles that haven't been spilled. How difficult could it be?

South is bad.

Using portraits for generic characters is really confusing to me. Portraits (or busts in this case) should be for people that you should remember, not for random man number 37.

Times that Will has been hit on: 2

Why does that keep on happening?

What's going on generic scholar?

:eng101: What was her name?

:cheers: Xen?

:eng101: Yeah! *Hic* She was kina cute.

STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER

:nyd: She's a witch!

I agree generic female scholar

:nyd: She can't be cute!

Oh. That was what you were going at.

:eng101: Aahh, come ooon! *hic* she *hic*

:nyd: Whatever. She went back to Oppress anyway.

I am shocked that a witch from a country would return to said country. Also does that mean Oppress got the poo poo kicked out of them?

Escaping literally means walking out the back door and down some stairs. There are three passed out guards and one who is too worried about his drunk friend to care that we've escaped. It's weird, it feels like this dungeon should have had more guards wandering around. Otherwise we fight two single guards and one pair. It just seems like a low number of encounters here.

That's actually a nice little detail. When Markus throws the bush on the fire, the flame is larger.

Isn't that going to attract attention?

I wouldn't worry about it. We're pretty far out.

We're actually not that far away from the castle. It's also not very dark.

That you were a guy.

Uhhhh.... It's kind of a long story.

Witch turned out to be a bitch and made me lose my junk and also my friend is a butterfly that is in this jar in my bag. THE END.

We have all night.

I guess we do... Where to begin... I

A witch...?

Broken down like this, the concept of the story doesn't seem too bad. Will was forcibly transformed and he wants to find Xen and get changed back. It has some potential as something other than wankbait and could genuinely use gender issues as character development. However everything just lacks execution and effort.

Then how'd you end up in that prison?

I'm a very poor swimmer.

It's quite a story.

What's yours?

Sorry

We got our first party member! AND HE'S SHADY AS gently caress!

Then you believe me?!

Why not?

Oh god, don't go along with this Will. He's going to go along with this and then throw you off the boat as soon as you get it.

We'd better rest up for your trip back to Oppress.

I'll see you next time if Markus doesn't shiv me in my sleep.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 3, 2014

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Gotta admit, he is pretty shady. But at least he's straight-forward with his avoidance of history and being grumpy. He could have been a creeper or overly friendly in a really, really creepy way... that would have been 'fun'.

Am I the only one hating the cut-away of the bottom edges of the maps? I mean, even if they'd used something to show some depth, it'd look better, but just blackness...? I'm not a fan.

And yeah, the concept itself isn't too bad but the way it plays out so far is pretty bland and, frankly, boring. The only thing keeping this boat afloat is OP's added snark (and Grandma). Here's hoping we get an interesting character in the future (but chances are slim from the looks of it.)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Umm did I miss an update somewhere? I went from update 1 to update 3.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Umm did I miss an update somewhere? I went from update 1 to update 3.

Update 2 was split into two parts and hosted on the SSLP test post thingamabob. It was kinda buried on page 2 and it completely slipped my mind to update the OP at the time.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21153

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21156

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

One thing I'm noticing is that I have no appreciative scale of reference for the world we're in. Maybe that'll glue itself down once we get to traveling the overworld some more, but as of this point, there's a kingdom not too far from buttfuck nowhere, said castle doesn't seem to consist of anything more than a few very claustrophobic corridors and a prison, and finally when we make it out in the woods, it feels like we're still twenty meters from the castle.

Really, looking at this is making me realize how well the SNES Final Fantasy games gave their worlds this feeling of enormity and grandness, between the panning set up shots for important areas, wider rooms, and careful use of overworld transitions.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Testekill posted:

Witch turned out to be a bitch and made me lose my junk and also my friend is a butterfly that is in this jar in my bag. THE END.

Broken down like this, the concept of the story doesn't seem too bad. Will was forcibly transformed and he wants to find Xen and get changed back. It has some potential as something other than wankbait and could genuinely use gender issues as character development. However everything just lacks execution and effort.

You know, this could have been really cool if you played the guy that got turned into a butterfly. Frog princes can talk, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to. Being tiny and flying would let you bypass some obstacles, but also make doors really challenging. You'd be super dodgy, but die in a hit or two. Spells that automatically hit would be a huge threat, and you'd need to carefully manage aggro or use reflection/elemental barrier skills.

Also, "combat bag"? It's like Victim of Xen is going out of its way to name items as boringly as possible.

EDIT: I just realized you could design Butterfly Dude to play like Navi from Ocarina of time. Apply debuffs to certain enemies, reveal the monster's stats, and do other support stuff. It'd be a kind of unusual role for the hero, and it would really encourage you to learn how to effectively use new party members.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 3, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell, you could go Anachronox with it and make him the cursor. Wait, does RPG maker even allow for a cursor?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Hell, you could go Anachronox with it and make him the cursor. Wait, does RPG maker even allow for a cursor?

There's probably a script for it.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
There is a script for it.

A butterfly strategist, eh? That actually sounds like a pretty neat concept. Instead we got sex-change McMan for a main. I was thinking a neat idea would be if there was no changing back and he just had to adjust to thinking of himself as a woman from now on, while dealing with the war that seems to be looming on the horizon and trying to Suikoden his/her way through it.

Realistically, something as dramatic as a change in gender would probably throw you for a curve when it came to even small things like movements and balance - you'd be so used to how your body worked as a man that it would take some time for your mind to catch up to now being in a different body with different weight distribution.

Also, something that did peeve me off a little is that he suddenly changed his look completely. Like, his whole DNA structure was overridden by suddenly having breasts. He'd have still had the same colour hair and eyes, still have the same basic bone and muscle structure (I mean, it didn't change what muscles he had built up over his lifetime. If he were fat as a man I'd expect he'd be fat as a woman too.) The sudden change to 'pretty blonde chick' is, in a word, stupid when you really think about it.

It's actually more like he swapped bodies with some blonde woman who was passing by.

Oh, now there's an idea! Having Xen and he swap bodies by accident - they both faint, the soldiers cart Xen's body away and suddenly they're both in very different circumstances. That would have been an interesting idea, too.

Still, gotta give the creator points for not doing the 'breast examination' trope. Probably because he doesn't seem bothered to expound on the characterisation of his characters much beyond clichés, I guess. Still, it was nice to see that that one wasn't in use.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 3, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The blonde girl is a default character, I think. :effort:

Also man RMVA default tileset is awful restrictive

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

silversatyr posted:

Am I the only one hating the cut-away of the bottom edges of the maps? I mean, even if they'd used something to show some depth, it'd look better, but just blackness...? I'm not a fan.

Guess what ends up there :allears: by default? :allears:

That's right, games in VX Ace (and probably ordinary VX) have a default resolution of 544 x 416? Why? Enterbrain. Most monitors don't support that resolution, so at full-screen you get that black border effect going on.

Fun fact though, you can bump the resolution up to a more standardized 640 x 480 with exactly one line of code. Though doing so can mess with certain scripts/systems if they don't account for the increased resolution. Plus all the RTP parallaxes and battle backgrounds then need to be re-sized to the new resolution. I want to say our friend, mister Victim of Xen tried to do this, then backpedaled when he realized the (honestly piddling) amount of extra work it would involve. But honestly, I doubt he even made it to that first step.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What gets me is that he uses the unconscious sprites for the guards several times this update, but for the main character, he just has him face "up" instead of just switch between the unconscious sprites.

I mean, that would at least be something.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

The blonde girl is a default character, I think. :effort:

Also man RMVA default tileset is awful restrictive

I think the blond party member is a Mage by default, actually.

Then again, he probably just did a change-actor-graphic on the orange-haired Ralph character he started with.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think The Demon Rush looks better than this game. In probably every aspect.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

I think the blond party member is a Mage by default, actually.

Then again, he probably just did a change-actor-graphic on the orange-haired Ralph character he started with.

Still don't understand why this costs money. It's the most basic thing you can make. Is there anything that ISN'T from the default RTP?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ask the dev, he's a talkative fellow. Of course, he'll probably answer something else entirely.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Yes, she's a default character, but there are other females who would have worked better as a model. In Ace there are 5 sheets of characters that work for heroes, so...

I mean, Ernest's graphics look feminine enough to pass for female (despite being male) and the hair at least matches. And it's not like he couldn't have picked any other hero to use that could match up with one of the other women better, either. Hell, there's a blonde guy that could have worked for Will-not-woman. Two of 'em, in fact. Two blue-haired guys and a blue haired girl, a green haired girl and guy who even have the same eye colour and look a little alike (though boyo has a scar) and two brown haired guys that would have matched the brown haired girl... :sigh:

Oh, and I'm not talking about the black around the walls (which isn't to do with resolution but instead due to having empty space around the edges of the map), but the choice of mapping itself. Most people map like this, this or this.

He actually cuts out the roof tiles completely and leaves it black deliberately. That annoys the hell out of me for some reason.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 3, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Silegna posted:

Still don't understand why this costs money. It's the most basic thing you can make. Is there anything that ISN'T from the default RTP?

It is just as much a mystery as those unofficial Minecraft story books that sell for real money. :iiam:

Seriously though, dude probably just needed a (easy) source of income and didn't want to apply for/could not get a job.

EDIT: After reading some forum posts and their website, turns out they're trying to raise funds for their next game.

And just like many others in this thread I too have been bitten by the RPG maker bug and have started messing around in VX Ace some. So, if anything this bad game is an inspiration.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 3, 2014

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Shark Tower posted:

Guess what ends up there :allears: by default? :allears:

That's right, games in VX Ace (and probably ordinary VX) have a default resolution of 544 x 416? Why? Enterbrain. Most monitors don't support that resolution, so at full-screen you get that black border effect going on.

Fun fact though, you can bump the resolution up to a more standardized 640 x 480 with exactly one line of code. Though doing so can mess with certain scripts/systems if they don't account for the increased resolution. Plus all the RTP parallaxes and battle backgrounds then need to be re-sized to the new resolution. I want to say our friend, mister Victim of Xen tried to do this, then backpedaled when he realized the (honestly piddling) amount of extra work it would involve. But honestly, I doubt he even made it to that first step.

There's actually a replacement DLL you can get that lets you set any resolution, though I think you need a separate script like Yanfly's Core to activate it too? New DLL even has Enterbrain's permission, apparently. I briefly messed about with my old project and it worked fine in 1280x720 aside from things like transitions being a bit screwy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

geri_khan posted:

There's actually a replacement DLL you can get that lets you set any resolution, though I think you need a separate script like Yanfly's Core to activate it too? New DLL even has Enterbrain's permission, apparently. I briefly messed about with my old project and it worked fine in 1280x720 aside from things like transitions being a bit screwy...

You don't need a core script to resize, you can just create a new script under materials and place this:

Graphics.resize_screen(640, 480)

You do need other scripts for fixes to broken parts though, like the viewports.

Also, I think I'm going to start doing tutorials on (in my opinion) what makes a good RPG Maker game, and how to stand out. If people want to read something like that anyway.

Edit: What a slip, you do need the DLL, what you don't need is a core script.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 3, 2014

• Locked thread