Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So how did a game this awfully half-assed manage to get onto Steam? Was it during a time when the standards were more lax?

I was a little curious about how it played when I first saw it on there. I'm not so curious anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Testekill posted:

Also, the dev kinda being a bit of a baby.

Hahaha of course.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
You probably need to learn at least some scripting if you really want to get anywhere with the latest versions of rpg maker. Enterbrain, being the genius company that they are, culled a lot of features that were available in previous renditions of rpg maker, actually making it harder to do certain things compared to doing it in older versions.

Some of the stuff removed makes no sense either. Like in previous rpg makers, you could set an event to do stuff depending on whether a number was equal to X, less than X, more than X, etc. With the current one, the only condition you can set is if a number is higher than X. Not if it's just X, not if it's less than X. Just X and above. If you want the other conditions, well you still can if you put in a little extra work. But that's just it. They made it MORE difficult to accomplish something that wasn't as convoluted in previous versions. Seriously who's bright idea was that?

Still, if you do know scripting, you can do some pretty grand things with the engine. Great community support too. Hell, even if all you know is how to copy-paste scripts into your game that other people have made publicly available, that's already enough to put you miles ahead of Victim of Xen.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

What version would you recommend? What about the renpy program someone mentioned earlier? Seeing these people do such a terrible job is giving me an itch.

Well, definitely the latest (which is VX Ace.) For all the dumb, it's still got vast improvements over its predecessors. It's just taking a step back every few steps forward. Though I personally jumped from 2k3 straight to Ace, skipping over XP and VX, so I can't say if they're better or worse. I personally loathe the text display and default controls on XP though, and supposedly VX Ace is just VX but better somehow.

Renpy's nice, but what makes rpg maker easy to work with is that it gives you everything you need to get a dude running around in a forest right away, whereas you'd need to figure out how to code it in Renpy. Just like how Renpy gives you visual novel framework right off the bat, whereas you'd need to figure out how to code it in rpg maker. So really just depends what you wanna build.

SystemLogoff posted:

It is a little bit of a pain it was removed from the side panel, but I guess they were trying to make it easier for new users.

This is exactly what ticks me, because it's not easier at all, it just made it more convoluted to get what you want. Come on Enterbrain, the point of the editor is so that you DON'T have to code this crap!

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
By the way, if anyone wants to learn RGSS3 scripting (aka for RPG Maker VX Ace), I highly recommend DP3's tutorial vids.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19863-rgss3-scripting-tutorial-videos/

Also, try taking scripts and fiddling around with them to figure out how they work. And don't be afraid to hit up the forums and ask questions!

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

silversatyr posted:

Am I the only one hating the cut-away of the bottom edges of the maps? I mean, even if they'd used something to show some depth, it'd look better, but just blackness...? I'm not a fan.

Guess what ends up there :allears: by default? :allears:

That's right, games in VX Ace (and probably ordinary VX) have a default resolution of 544 x 416? Why? Enterbrain. Most monitors don't support that resolution, so at full-screen you get that black border effect going on.

Fun fact though, you can bump the resolution up to a more standardized 640 x 480 with exactly one line of code. Though doing so can mess with certain scripts/systems if they don't account for the increased resolution. Plus all the RTP parallaxes and battle backgrounds then need to be re-sized to the new resolution. I want to say our friend, mister Victim of Xen tried to do this, then backpedaled when he realized the (honestly piddling) amount of extra work it would involve. But honestly, I doubt he even made it to that first step.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

SystemLogoff posted:

You don't need a replacement DLL, you can just create a new script under materials and place this:

Graphics.resize_screen(640, 480)

You do need other scripts for fixes to broken parts though, like the viewports.

Also, I think I'm going to start doing tutorials on (in my opinion) what makes a good RPG Maker game, and how to stand out. If people want to read something like that anyway.

Supposedly things bork if you try to resize the graphics past 640 x 480, which doesn't happen if you use the replacement DLL?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

Think I ran into a bug or something... when setting up shops there is a checkbox for Buy-Only, but enabling it doesn't skip you to the Buy screen. What's the fix for this?

It's not really a bug as much as just lazy programming. To do what you want to do, you'd have to go into the default scripts and:

1. Find the code for buying stuff.
2. Rewrite 'Buy online' function to go directly to buying stuff.
3. Rewrite leaving the buying stuff menu to go directly back to the map, instead of to the 'Buy / Sell / Cancel' menu, and to only do that if 'Buy online' is activated.

It's not horribly complicated per say (at least I don't think it is, haven't tried it myself), but it definitely requires more than average knowledge of rubying.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

queserasera posted:

Might as well share my own toolbox. I use Celtx and Twine to write scripts and flowcharts. Free Celtx is bare bones; paid Celtx offers more assistance for movie makers. I use it for scripting text games and comic books, so free works fine for me. Twine replaced my old flowchart method of index cards and string on a clean table or rug.

Sweet, thanks for the recommendations! I've used free Celtx before and it's great in its simplicity. Haven't heard of Twine though, and I've been looking for a decent flowchart program so I'll definitely check that one out.

Also guys, read the helpfile. All the basic stuff, including how to set up your own tilesets can be found there. I still frequently check there whenever I'm not sure what something does.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
One option is to track the x, y positions of each projectile, and to have things happen when they equal the player's x, y positions.

Alternately, one of Yanfly's scripts allows setting tiles that npc's can walk on, but not the player. You can try using that. Actually, that'd probably work better.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
That is correct, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

I make all of my maps a single screen because Rpgmaker sucks at scrolling

What do you mean? What does it do now vs what you want it to do?

• Locked thread