Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Another kicker who sucks is Matt Prater.

I would have appreciated it if he would have sucked more while he was with Denver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wheez the roux posted:

you hear all the time about passing stats not being comparable between different eras because of the differences in the game like the rules regarding passing, new styles of offense, how defenders are allowed to play the ball, etc. I'm curious if there's a similar argument to be made for the run game and if so, what it is. I mean I feel like if there are any notable differences they aren't anywhere near as important as those that affect passing but I could be totally wrong

I can't find anything to back me up on this right now but I've always heard waaaaay back in the day they used to call holding incredibly tightly, like you just couldn't engage a defensive player at all with your hands. If that's right loosening up the holding rules is probably one of the bigger things that happened. I did find something that claims holding used to be a 15 yard penalty up until 1974, changing to 10 probably helped a little I guess.

All the recent stuff from here seems to slightly favor the defense in the run game other than maybe the horse collar rule. They've slowly gotten rid of chop blocks except in a certain situation (interior linemen lined up next to each other on a running play is all that's left now I think?), you used to be able to clip guys wherever you wanted to instead of at least trying to make it look like a cut block now. If they ever actually get rid of cut blocks it's going to make running a hell of a lot harder.

e: Didn't think about looking at college rules, maybe I'll try to see if anything jumps out there later.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
RG3 is completing almost 70% of his passes this year, while taking sacks a rate that would make Alex Smith blush back in his late 49ers days.

It seems like he just doesn't want to throw the goddamned ball unless he's almost sure he can complete it (and then have it turn into an interception anyway), which is really sad. I remember him being super aggressive at Baylor and in that first year :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

well if andy reid could get his hands on him I think rg3 could become what he was supposed to be

Has no chance of happening unless maybe everyone else in the world passes on him, but I wouldn't mind this. Feel better about taking a chance on turning RG3 around while backing up Smith than I do getting something out of Aaron Murray or Tyler Bray.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bad Moon posted:

Noted offensive genius Marty Schottenheimer will save the day

Don't blame Marty, I'm sure if he had any say in things Brian would have been a DC or ST coach like he should be.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

stubblyhead posted:

Snazzy uniforms on the refs there.

Was that a promotion of some sort or what?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

When you look at what Washington gave up it is way more brutal than blowing either of those picks. Leaf and Russell only cost the teams one pick (1st and 2nd, we all know that though), while the Rams got 8 picks out of the trade (since they traded 1 Washington pick for like 3 others). Washington gave up the number 6 pick, number 2 pick, number 22 pick, and a 2nd rounder that became Janorous* Jenkins.

The Chargers actually traded up a spot for Leaf, although I'm too lazy to go find out what everything turned into past looking at wiki for the original trade...actually check that I just remembered this thing exists and I used it to look up the Hershel trade a while back.

San Diego acquired the second overall pick Ryan Leaf for: Eric Metcalf, Patrick Sapp, 1998 first round pick (#3-Andre Wadsworth), 1998 second round pick (#33-Corey Chavous), 1999 first round pick (#8-David Boston).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

Thank gently caress Latavius Murray showed enough that the Raiders won't grab Rice

God drat as if I needed more reason to hate that game. Rice to the Raiders would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The Chargers are much better than the Chiefs

Scoreboard. For now.

Also you should play your backups in week 17 to let KC backdoor their way into the playoffs, fair is fair.

• Locked thread