Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Problem description: I turned on my computer today to find all the files I had saved to the desktop gone, while most of the shortcuts are still there. My system settings such as theme and desktop picture. However I can view the files in explorer.

Attempted fixes: System restore to two (2) different restore points. Tried to restore the folder but when it came to file/folder "save card" it said I didn't have permission and to contact an admin.

Switched to view hidden files.

Ran malwarwbytes and Microsoft essentials both came back clean
Ran unhide.exe from bleepingcomouter.

Recent changes:The last update

--

Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
System specs: Compaq cq-57, amd 1ghz dual core 6 gigs of ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Are you running and antivir program? If yes, which one?

e: Also you might want to stop working with your PC, maybe some fiel recovery can get your files back.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 25, 2014

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm using Microsoft essentials, and avp free edition

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Usually having more than one antivir program is not a good idea.
From what I've seen on the internet this does seem to happen, and while I don't think there is a solution right now - don't save your files on the desktop.

I will look around a bit more, but no promises.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Ok thanks.
Found and fixes the problem. It was loading a default account.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1820762/windows-logs-temporary-profile.html

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread