Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

bonestructure posted:

I occasionally see them when I'm out kayaking. They can imitate a cattail so well that you can pass right by them and never realize it unless they twitch. The noises they make are cool, too.
Their call is great. Instead of using vocal cords, they inflate their esophagus, click their beak and pump their neck to make a sound like a broken plumbing fixture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz1wYb7S728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

Their call is great. Instead of using vocal cords, they inflate their esophagus, click their beak and pump their neck to make a sound like a broken plumbing fixture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz1wYb7S728

That is an extraordinarily accurate description of the sound that bird makes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

This is my favourite bird.

Such a pudden. :kimchi:

Relax, she's just yawning.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Moon Potato posted:

The Swallow-tailed Kite has a forked tail, too:
http://www.evergladesphotosociety.org/articles/stkstory.html

Kites are great birds in general. I just finished editing a documentary about the White-tailed Kites we have in California.
https://vimeo.com/99209716

Their prey handoffs are kind of amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5GwdACKi0E

Bitterns are another one of my favorites. They're pretty much muppet herons that can stretch like a Chuck Jones cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdAF7B4lT7Q

I'm curious, what shape is a bittern, exactly?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Stalin McHauntler posted:

It is a tube.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My bird feeder's squirrel defense system:

The only critter, bird or rodent, they take poo poo from at my feeder are the woodpeckers.

It's a very established hierarchy at the feeder that I've observed. Red-bellied woodpeckers > blue jays > grey catbirds > boat-tailed grackles > tufted titmice > common grackles > cardinals > miscellaneous sparrows and other tiny birds.

Honorable mention to the bobwhites. I startle little flocks of them most evenings on my way out of work.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 14, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He sure does! And they sure are :3:

A few different plover species such as the spurred lapwing also have wing-claws :black101:
It turns out lots of birds still have wing claws, here's an ostrich hand:

Here's an article about it:
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/06/30/clubs-spurs-spikes-and-claws/

quote:

In fact, digit I claws are generally present in ratites, gamebirds, waterfowl, divers, storks and kin, finfoots, owls, New World vutures, the Secretary bird Sagittarius serpentarius, waders and many others... Digit II claws are rarer but are present in some neornithines (like some ratites, juvenile waterfowl and flamingos), so might also be primitive for the clade. It’s sometimes said that cassowaries have a particularly large claw on digit II that they use as a weapon

Can one of you Australians please go test out the cassowary thing, I'd like to get an answer on that. TIA.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Another kayaking favorite, the purple gallinule. You'll see them hanging out in beds of water lilies, because they have such long, spidery toes that they can walk across the pads without sinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_d2W6AbvI

Big feets are also good for fighting

You sometimes see them motoring along the surface propelling themselves with their wings, with the big feet popped out of the water and held in front of them to lessen drag.

The juveniles are especially adorable. :3:

The lighter spot on the forehead of the adults isn't feathers, but a bony plate similar to that of the New Zealand takahe. Another dinosaur holdover.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So dignified :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Stalin McHauntler posted:

They are all shapes at once, but our mortal minds can only process one form at a time. If you pierce their avian vessel, it basically turns into the last half hour of Akira.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Crows are awesome

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

New Zealand birds best birds!

The majestic tui. It makes lots of noises, but it's favorite seems to be *HONK HONK tweet tweet*.

The adorable fantail. Makes noises like a squeaky toy and isn't afraid to get in your face if you're invading its territory.

The super-cool kokako. It runs through the treetops like a squirrel on its long legs, and has a flute-like song.

Plus, NZ also has kiwi, penguins, parrots ... it really is awesome :parrot:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Your post is missing Keas

A shameful oversight

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Sadly I haven't been to the South Island yet to get my car destroyed by keas. One did try to steal my bag at the zoo, though:

Give that back kea, it doesn't even have food in it!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lord funk posted:

Yeah after all the crazy parrots and Bower birds, the Chickadee is the best. I like to watch them feed. They have a social hierarchy, so if a younger one starts to get a seed and an older one shows up, they back off and wait for the older one before flying in to get their own. Plus I think they can have like 200 hiding spots for their seeds.

There's a lady nearby here in WI who is a Chickadee expert. I have to go visit her some time.

ha i didnt know that, that's cool. come to think of it i dont know much about them other than they are super cute. we just got our first house this year so im gonna try and get some seeds they like for the bird feeder in the spring.

BURDS!

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
A bunch of my favourites are already in here so have some waxeyes:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Derp birb best birb.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Tendai posted:

Derp birb best birb.

reminds me of http://vani-lla.tumblr.com/

She can get her birb to wear elaborate little samurai outfits and pose for pictures, I can't even get mine to hold still while I'm clipping his nails

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 18, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

:swoon:

Now I finally know where bee bird came from!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Tendai posted:

Derp birb best birb.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I was unprepared for how hard this picture made me laugh.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Some kind of bird internet?

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
This thread needs more Mindo.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ApathyGirl posted:

This thread needs more Mindo.

Okay

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Best birb consumes all other birbs and gains their powers.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:stare:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I was dubious of that gif so I went and found the source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JdkTUGU2YY&t=32s

:stare:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Yeah pelicans will eat anything. There's a gif of ac stork eating a bunny somewhere out there too :3:

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I once saw a seagull eat a sparrow at the beach.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Seagulls are basically the rats of the sky, so it's not that surprising.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Seagulls are basically the rats of the sky, so it's not that surprising.

There's a pair of hawks that live next to my apartment complex. I fistpump every time one grabs a starling or grackle.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

My coworkers know I am a crazy bird lady so one of them found me when something happened outside his window. We're on the second floor and he came and got me into his office very quickly. I guess he'd been working when a hummingbird bonked into his window. It landed on the outside window ledge just feet from him and was recovering from the trauma when a crow swooped in, grabbed him, flew to a nearby branch and began ripping him to shreds and eating him. We watched as the crow pulled off pieces and swallowed them, finishing with the tiny little skull.

I used to have a Peregrine Falcon in my education program. Telling people that her primary diet was other birds always got responses like "Oh, so she's a cannibal!" (chuckling at their own joke) and I would explain that, no, in fact she did not eat other Peregrine Falcons. She ate other species of birds. Like how we eat other mammals... cows, pigs, and monkeys...

:P

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

People must think birds are like dogs, where they're all the same species, just different breeds, which is a profoundly stupid thing to believe about birds but would make statements like that actually make a little more sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a Honeyeater living in the tree at the front of my house who despises Magpies. We keep him fed with a few extra seeds and things for the service.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a Honeyeater living in the tree at the front of my house who despises Magpies. We keep him fed with a few extra seeds and things for the service.

What exactly does they Honeyeater do to the Magpies?

Puffins definitely have some bad angles

Like this

But sometime.... wait um...

And they always look sad

But in the end you can't forget where they.... umm

I've forgotten why I was posting puffins now :stare: Someone please remind me

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't think they've been posted, but caiques rule. Dom DeLuise was also pretty cool.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The prettiest pigeon

(victoria crowned pigeon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug