Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2849992/new-cruise-ship-a-floating-heaven-for-tech-geeks.html

quote:

NETWORKINGbusiness
New cruise ship a floating heaven for tech geeks

Nick Barber
@nickjb Nov 19, 2014 11:05 AMe-mailprint
Walking up the gangway to board Royal Caribbean’s tech-laden Quantum of the Seas, it was hard not to marvel. Across the harbor was Manhattan, and at 348 meters the new ship is almost as long as the Empire State Building is tall. But it’s what the ship contains that made my inner geek salivate.

While most passengers were ogling the food options I checked the speed of the satellite WiFi and tested the raft of other technology onboard—including robot waiters and virtual seascapes—that the company hopes will increase passenger convenience.

Billed as a smart ship, the Quantum of the Seas will make trips from New York harbor (Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey, specifically) to the Caribbean until the middle of 2015, when it embarks on an odyssey to reposition to its new home port of Shanghai. As a tech reporter invited on board for a few days to check it out, I was determined to maintain a skeptical stance, but some of the futuristic services enticed me to capture footage of gadget after cool gadget.

See Quantum of the Seas and its robots.

Satellite Wi-Fi

Quantum’s Wi-Fi is provided by a constellation of satellites from O3B Networks. The last satellite went into space in July and Royal Caribbean’s Allure of the Seas was the first ship to deploy the service, about four weeks before Quantum.

On the first morning at sea, when we were about 100 miles off the East Coast I clocked 4.65 megabits per second down and 4.03 megabits per second up, as tested with speedtest.net. Later in the day it was 3.85 megabits per second down and 0.85 megabits per second up. During the second test I was still able to stream high definition video on Netflix and YouTube.

The ship will have three tiers of Wi-Fi service available for passengers to purchase. There will be hourly, daily and full voyage packages that are $20, $40 and $160, respectively. The full voyage price is based on seven nights and all three prices are for the middle tier of speed—what Royal calls premium—designed for posting photos, browsing and streaming standard definition video.

During our tests we were given access to the top tier, or premium plus, of service. The ship allowed all passengers to connect to the network for free during this sail. There did seem to be some issues with the Wi-Fi while we were in port. It was difficult to connect and the connection was slow or non-existent at times, but those problems seemed to be fixed once we set sail.

“We’ve only been able to get the capacity utilization up to about two-thirds of what we have on board [600 megabits],” said Bill Martin, CIO for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

He said that because there is capacity, the company doesn’t need to limit demand for the service by charging high prices. He doesn’t expect the service to be a big moneymaker for the company. It should only account for about 4 percent of revenue on the ship, according to Carloa Mengolini, vice president of onboard revenue. Food and beverage accounts for about 30 percent.

Martin said that other ships charge up to 75 cents per minute for connectivity, significantly slower than Quantum’s.

RFID and luggage tracking

“We don’t lose bags, but our passengers think we will,” joked Richard Fain, chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises.

When passengers board the ship, they will drop their bags at check-in and each bag will get an RFID tag. Through Royal Caribbean’s Royal IQ smartphone application, guests will be able to track their bags from the curb to their room. Fain said it’s helpful because bags aren’t delivered instantly and passengers can enjoy the ship while waiting for an alert that their bags arrived. For this preview sailing we were told not to bring more luggage than we could carry ourselves. Porters weren’t available so I wasn’t able to test the tracking technology. It’s too bad because when I’m traveling with my video gear, packing light is not my forte.

The ship is cashless and passengers use RFID wristbands to pay for items, open their stateroom doors and check in during muster drills. The muster drill, required for everyone on board, happens before the ship sets sail and is a way for passengers to familiarize themselves with emergency procedures. Passengers are assigned a specific spot on the boat to assemble and the crew is able to check in passengers using the RFID wristbands. That information is sent in real time to the bridge, where the captain can monitor the status of an evacuation.

Virtual balconies

Of the 2,090 staterooms on board, about 400 are interior rooms with no live view of the ocean. Instead, passengers can view the passing sea through a virtual balcony. On the bridge of the ship are two $20,000 Red Epic cameras capturing the ocean in 5K resolution. The image is transmitted within a few milliseconds to an 80-inch high definition display turned on its side in the guest’s stateroom.

“We use high speed processing because if what you feel doesn’t match the motion of the water then you may start to feel sick,” said Martin.

Martin said that the virtual balconies are not going to be repurposed for other content. Guests can turn them on and off and change the volume, but they can’t watch a football game and they won’t be used for ship announcements.

“If you do anything else with it, you start to lose the illusion,” Martin said.

Robotic bartender

Two robots on the ship can strain, muddle, mix and shake about a thousand drinks a day at the Bionic Bar. Set in one of the high traffic areas on the ship, the two Kuka robots created cocktails after passengers scanned their RFID wristbands and designed their own custom drink or chose one from a menu. After adding a drink to the queue, the robots got to work, whizzing and whirring around 30 liquors and 21 mixers. About 60 seconds later a small conveyer belt delivered the drinks to the passengers.

The origin of the project had nothing to do with Royal Caribbean.

“It was a request from Google for their IO conference in May to show how new technology is changing the way we live,” said Michael Lewis, a developer at Makr Shakr who worked on the robots.

“The Bionic Bar doesn’t reduce staffing,” said Richard Fain. “It’s actually more work.” He said the bar needs two bartenders to help passengers with the app and to answer questions.

The robots are calibrated to millimeter accuracy to know where all the drinks and mixers are located. Beside the robots, the system displayed drink analytics with the most popular beverage being a liquor-filled Long Island Iced Tea.

Sister ship Anthem of the Seas, a virtual duplicate of the Quantum, will be cruising from Southampton, England, to the Mediterranean in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
*goes on floating resort for a luxury cruise across the world*

*stays on laptop the whole time*

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Bazinga in boat form.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
:pray: somalian pirates, if you have to hit one ship, please...

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
All aboard the USS Insufferable!

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why is GBS so stupidly anti cruise ship? For Caribbean trips it's the best way to travel to 4 countries over 7 days.

You know how expensive exhausting it is to fly that much in such little time.

gently caress it, why visit Mayan ruins in Cozumel when I can visit Dranei ruins in Draenor.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Prorat posted:

Why is GBS so stupidly anti cruise ship? For Caribbean trips it's the best way to travel to 4 countries over 7 days.

gently caress it, why visit Mayan ruins in Cozumel when I can visit Dranei ruins in Draenor.

I think it's because this ship has ship autism not because it is a ship

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can I tweet my followers on this ship

cause that's extrememly my poo poo

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Prorat posted:

Probably because the people who go on cruises are often entitled shits, and because of the darkly humorous disparity between the wealth that a cruise represents vs the ports that they visit.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Vernii posted:

Probably because the people who go on cruises are often entitled shits, and because of the darkly humorous disparity between the wealth that a cruise represents vs the ports that they visit.

no its because fat people hate slippery environs E.G. the salty deck of a cruise ship

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going to take a vacation from my job where I look at screens while on the internet by going on a boat where I look at screens while on the internet.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vernii posted:

This is completely inaccurate. You can go on a 4 day Caribbean cruise for 100 bucks. Entitled people don't go on 100 dollar vacations. Not 100 a night, 100 for all 4 days.

http://www.cruises.com/desktop/resu...iCruiseId=false

A long night at a bar on a Saturday night costs almost that much.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Prorat posted:

This is completely inaccurate. You can go on a 4 day Caribbean cruise for 100 bucks. Entitled people don't go on 100 dollar vacations. Not 100 a night, 100 for all 4 days.

http://www.cruises.com/desktop/resu...iCruiseId=false

A long night at a bar on a Saturday night costs almost that much.

Don't they gently caress you without lube once they have you trapped on their ship with $15 cocktails and $25 hamburgers though?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NihilismNow posted:

Don't they gently caress you without lube once they have you trapped on their ship with $15 cocktails and $25 hamburgers though?

Not really, you can buy exclusive passes and stuff. Prices aren't even close to ballpark prices.

edit 6.25 for a Crown Royal. Not bad. http://www.cruisin.me/info/carnival-cruise-lines/alcohol-prices-selections.php

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Cruises seem like such a low class vacation method. I really don't understand that or going to resorts in the Caribbean.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Demonachizer posted:

Cruises seem like such a low class vacation method. I really don't understand that or going to resorts in the Caribbean.

class is kind of for the birds dude

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Prorat posted:

Not really, you can buy exclusive passes and stuff. Prices aren't even close to ballpark prices.

edit 6.25 for a Crown Royal. Not bad. http://www.cruisin.me/info/carnival-cruise-lines/alcohol-prices-selections.php

quote:

Carnival confiscates dozens of water/soda/wine bottles that have been refilled with liquor prior to almost every cruise. It’s been this way for a long time. You have a VERY LOW chance of getting smuggled liquor on this way.

Yeah this sounds like a good time. Let me go check myself into this floating hotel that doesn't even allow me to bring my own booze. I mean hotel bars try to gently caress you over but at least they let you bring your own booze to your room.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Cucking Mama posted:

class is kind of for the birds dude

Not a huge fan of hanging out with white trash :shrug:

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Prorat posted:

Because they are lame vacations for idiots? M yes 36 hours on board, then a 4 hour docking where I can visit the shops right by the dock. I can't wait to tell everyone at home about all these fabulous countries I visited!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Prorat posted:

I don't like relying on some white bread pablum corporate ideal of a vacation for my enjoyment...

I had an amazing time when I toured Southern Italy for a month in a car. I setup hotels all over the place and saw some pretty amazing poo poo. Visited all 8 world heritage sites in Southern Italy, ate sea urchin that I fetched from the waters myself, watched a pizzica festival in Melpignano and it was a blast. But I guess you could eat as much pizza as you want on a cruise ship instead.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 25, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Are hookers allowed in international waters? That would be pretty cool cruise.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Sound posted:

Because they are lame vacations for idiots? M yes 36 hours on board, then a 4 hour docking where I can visit the shops right by the dock. I can't wait to tell everyone at home about all these fabulous countries I visited!

maybe they're good for people who don't want to bore their friends/colleagues with stories of their adventures but not for you. no need to insult anybody dude

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Good thing I'm not a tech geek. :)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Get off the loving computer when you're on a cruise and just relax.

naem
May 29, 2011

I can't wait to use the Internet on a boat!! As opposed to my house or work!!!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Over There posted:

Get off the loving computer when you're on a cruise and just relax.

Can I view my virtual balcony on my iPad while I am on the boat?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NihilismNow posted:

Yeah this sounds like a good time. Let me go check myself into this floating hotel that doesn't even allow me to bring my own booze. I mean hotel bars try to gently caress you over but at least they let you bring your own booze to your room.

Tell me about the time an airport, bar, sports stadium, amusement park, zoo or anything else now days let you bring in your own drat alcohol.... ya dolt.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Why is franco posting random news articles in GBS

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's finally snapped

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sound posted:

Yeah you're right, getting drunk as gently caress on a boat while sailing to visit ancient Mayan ruins is pretty lame. I can't wait not to do that and tell people on an internet forum how stupid it would be if I did.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Prorat posted:

Tell me about the time an airport, bar, sports stadium, amusement park, zoo or anything else now days let you bring in your own drat alcohol.... ya dolt.

Not to mention that most lines let you bring one bottle of wine per person.

Just got back from a 4-day to the Caribbean. 61 days until my next cruise.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i like cruises because it's like going to a hotel except the hotel floats on water and has cool views of a giant and vast ocean that makes you feel small

the ports don't matter they're all the same tourist crap that's been recycled a million times.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

i like cruises because it's like going to a hotel except the hotel floats on water and has cool views of a giant and vast ocean that makes you feel small

the ports don't matter they're all the same tourist crap that's been recycled a million times.

I feel small in regular hotel rooms.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

you see I'm a goon I take all my vacations in the wilderness where I support local indigenous people without exploiting any natural resources of any kind it's a great way to stay active and a part of my One World Community

*posts in gbs*

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Applewhite posted:

I feel small in regular hotel rooms.

I've never spent a lot of time in my room except to sleep or eat food on the balcony or something but I usually stay in pretty big rooms on land and it's never been that huge of a deal for me. I can see where some people would be claustrophobic but at the same time these ships feel like cities so I've never had that issue. I just like to sit on the top deck in the sun and watch the water and stuff it's pretty neat

I'm also not a big dude so I guess if you're some sorta 6'5 giant then that sucks

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My mom just did a crossing on the QM2 and that sounds classy as gently caress, but no thank you to Caribbean cruises.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Private yacht is the only way to cruise the Caribbean. You spend more time in far smaller ports and get to know the local people instead of spending a few hours wandering around a tourist trap before getting back on your big dumb ship

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bishop posted:

Private yacht is the only way to cruise the Caribbean. You spend more time in far smaller ports and get to know the local people instead of spending a few hours wandering around a tourist trap before getting back on your big dumb ship

I don't know how to drive a yacht!!!!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Arian_Samurai posted:

I don't know how to drive a yacht!!!!

Look at this guy who doesn't have a skipper on retainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I am glad they spent thousands of dollars on high end cameras and screens to disrupt the window.

• Locked thread