Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want a modern and hip redesign of Mr. DNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think it's supposed to be a pliosaur (maybe a Liopleurodon or a Kronosaurus).

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFHITnJ52pI

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Looks pretty bad. I bet they don't even have a Westinghouse SPB circuit breaker in it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The trailer got me excited and the fact that there's an actual park now automatically makes this better than JP3.

Really, I'm going specifically to see dinosaurs gently caress poo poo up so if that happens I will be satisfied.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Where are the feathers :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gohmak posted:

Sorry this is a theme park, if you want your realistic dinosaurs you are going have to go to the "Real Dinosaurs Zoo!"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gohmak posted:

The target demographic didn't like the feathers so they had to go.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Like the Transformers movies I'm hard-wired to love this no matter what it is, so I'm beyond hyped.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think it's supposed to be a pliosaur (maybe a Liopleurodon or a Kronosaurus).

It is a mosasaur. The palatine teeth are common in that group, and the head fit the profile of most mosasaur skulls. They just used the same model that was the idea for the really bad Jurassic Park video game, and made it much larger to be impressive. If it were a pliosaur the snout would have been thinner, lacking palatine teeth, and teeth likely would have overlapped the jaws.

theironjef posted:

Guess it can be chalked up to Velociraptors also being twice the size of real ones and Dilophosaurs having super spit, so why not. The double jaw is still a little off the wall though. Like the most we know about aquatic dinosaurs is from their jaws.

The only real "aquatic dinosaur" was Spinosaurus. What you are thinking of are marine reptiles (not related to dinosaurs at all), and we definitely have more than just jaws from them. Their skeletons aren't that uncommon at all.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

oddium posted:

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

On the one hand, I think that name is terrible. On the other, it sounds exactly like the sort of cheesy name that a park run by rich executives would come up with to bring more customers in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I understand them not going with multicolored feathers because of how iconic the Jurassic Park takes on the velociraptor and t-rex and such are. But man I would kill to see a dinosaur movie that rolls with that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jurassic Park is a perfect movie. Lost World isn't, but I still love the hell out of it, and Jeff Goldblum and I'm one of the few people that loves the T-Rex in San Fransisco bit that everyone hates. I get why people don't like the third one at all, I guess, but I'm down with just seeing the dinosaurs so I enjoyed 3 anyway (of course with the exception of the new dino killing the t-rex). So I am so down for Jurassic World. I got giddy at the final shot of Chris Pratt riding his motorcycle along his hunting dog Raptor pals.

I like the idea people are throwing around that the T-Rex is going to save the day at the very end, and it makes so much sense I think I'm gonna be a little disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I dunno why people have such a problem with the raptors being trained after being shown as killing machines before. People tame animals that should never rightfully be tamed all the time. There was that story a while ago about that giant crocodile that some dude became BFFs until it died of old age.

Honestly I really can't think of anything that a Jurassic Park movie could do that could really make me hate it. I don't care that much about how good the writing or dialogue is as long as we see dinosaurs doing their thing (I love that shot in the trailer of people kayaking down the Stegosaurus river) and eventually getting loose and causing all sorts of chaos.

oddium posted:

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

I hope this is true

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SublimeDelusions posted:

It is a mosasaur. The palatine teeth are common in that group, and the head fit the profile of most mosasaur skulls. They just used the same model that was the idea for the really bad Jurassic Park video game, and made it much larger to be impressive. If it were a pliosaur the snout would have been thinner, lacking palatine teeth, and teeth likely would have overlapped the jaws.

I see, my mistake then.

Speaking of Jurassic Park and games, I remember this fun scene from the Lost World game where if you got all the DNA bits, Ian Malcolm would congratulate you and then proceed to tell you to go outside.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The fact that we have recently found out that Spinosaurus was primarily a quadrupedal, aquatic, fish eating dinosaur really vindicates my childhood since I knew that T-Rex losing that fight was bullshit. Also bullshit is that the movie didn't end with the two T-Rexes from the TLW coming out and avenging the death of its child. (Yeah apparently that T-Rex was the baby T-Rex from TLW grown up)

I'm hyped for this movie man; its basically going back to the days when I played Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs or Jurassic Park Operation Genesis and watching me get bored and deciding to kill all the guests by destroying/blocking the exits and letting the dinosaurs out of their enclosures :unsmigghh:

Also cool to see a marine reptile in this franchise, they are really interesting creatures.

Finally don't care if its goofy, a pack of tamed raptors is badass as hell! :black101:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand them not going with multicolored feathers because of how iconic the Jurassic Park takes on the velociraptor and t-rex and such are. But man I would kill to see a dinosaur movie that rolls with that.

Yeah, they could've at least made the Gallimimus feathered. But anyways, getting hyped as gently caress :pcgaming:

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm hyped for this movie man; its basically going back to the days when I played Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs or Jurassic Park Operation Genesis and watching me get bored and deciding to kill all the guests by destroying/blocking the exits and letting the dinosaurs out of their enclosures :unsmigghh:

I hope we get Operation Genesis 2 out of this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Jurassic Park is a perfect movie. Lost World isn't, but I still love the hell out of it, and Jeff Goldblum and I'm one of the few people that loves the T-Rex in San Fransisco bit that everyone hates. I get why people don't like the third one at all, I guess, but I'm down with just seeing the dinosaurs so I enjoyed 3 anyway (of course with the exception of the new dino killing the t-rex). So I am so down for Jurassic World. I got giddy at the final shot of Chris Pratt riding his motorcycle along his hunting dog Raptor pals.

I like the idea people are throwing around that the T-Rex is going to save the day at the very end, and it makes so much sense I think I'm gonna be a little disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I dunno why people have such a problem with the raptors being trained after being shown as killing machines before. People tame animals that should never rightfully be tamed all the time. There was that story a while ago about that giant crocodile that some dude became BFFs until it died of old age.

Honestly I really can't think of anything that a Jurassic Park movie could do that could really make me hate it. I don't care that much about how good the writing or dialogue is as long as we see dinosaurs doing their thing (I love that shot in the trailer of people kayaking down the Stegosaurus river) and eventually getting loose and causing all sorts of chaos.

I hope this is true
You are my kind of guy. This whole post is my kind of post. I don't have much love for Jurassic Park III for a lot of reasons, but I still watch it from time to time. I'm a sucker for actors reprising their roles for sequels and so far Jurassic Park movies have gone 3 for 3 without recasting which is great. It still thrills me a tiny bit to see Sam Neill as Alan Grant in JP3 and somehow the fact that they got BD Wong to reprise his role as Henry Wu in JW blows my mind for how smart it was.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Dr. Wu is back in this movie? I knew Crichton made a mistake killing him in the books. He owns.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Suck it down, Shamu

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

IMB posted:

Dr. Wu is back in this movie? I knew Crichton made a mistake killing him in the books. He owns.
He is, in fact I think we can hear him in the trailer briefly too when Chris Pratt's character talks about the claw marks. Wu was awesome in the book, and deserved more than what he got in the first film so I'm psyched he's back for this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mentioned this before elsewhere, but I think it would be interesting if the real threat from the dinosaur hybrid comes not from the fact that it is killing people, but rather it starts hunting the other dinosaurs in the park and loving up the ecosystem.

It would be a good way to make the film feel less like a retread, since its not only human lives that would be at stake, but also the dinosaurs.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 25, 2014

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I love how the trailer seems set to be taking the piss out of Disney World, Universal Studios (look at that feeding scene and tell me that's not Jaws), and Sea World all at the same time.

I'm down. Velociraptor bloodhound pack felt a little weird at first, but I'm growing to like it.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 25, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr. Wu erases something off his clipboard and brushes the residue off into the sensitive lab environment so h*ck off Dr. Wu

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IMB posted:

He's probably going to die a horrible death.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

He is, in fact I think we can hear him in the trailer briefly too when Chris Pratt's character talks about the claw marks. Wu was awesome in the book, and deserved more than what he got in the first film so I'm psyched he's back for this.
He also deserved more in the book too

Veks posted:

Yeah, they could've at least made the Gallimimus feathered. But anyways, getting hyped as gently caress :pcgaming:
I want this to kind of be the reason why attendance is slumping is because the park is getting denounced a lot by Paleontologists for presenting inaccurate dinosaurs. Basically calling out Jurassic Park as like a massive Creationist Museum Theme Park.

Stare-Out posted:

You are my kind of guy. This whole post is my kind of post. I don't have much love for Jurassic Park III for a lot of reasons, but I still watch it from time to time. I'm a sucker for actors reprising their roles for sequels and so far Jurassic Park movies have gone 3 for 3 without recasting which is great. It still thrills me a tiny bit to see Sam Neill as Alan Grant in JP3 and somehow the fact that they got BD Wong to reprise his role as Henry Wu in JW blows my mind for how smart it was.
I love Sam Neill because he gave a life to the character of Dr. Grant that immediately resonated with me at the age of 5. (I immediately knew I wanted to be a paleontologist after seeing JP) Much better than the novel version since movie Dr. Grant has an actual arc.

I didn't really like Sam Neill in JP3, his character was kind of bitter and had changed his opinions from JP where he called the dinosaurs "animals" to JP3 where he is calling them "genetic monsters".

Also I want there to be a cameo scene of Jeff Goldblum watching CNN from his apt as the park is in flames and starts to :smug:ly smile as the headlines read "Jurassic World in Chaos"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

I hope there's no feathers because they're saving that for Jurassic World 2, where the theropods are evolving at an insane rate. Into BIRDS.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

oddium posted:

I hope there's no feathers because they're saving that for Jurassic World 2, where the theropods are evolving at an insane rate. Into BIRDS.

More like 6-foot turkeys.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Going back to JP3 I just want to say that this really vindicates my childhood hatred of that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlkiA7_H5M
(If you have the time watch it, really interesting doc plus it has my curator of the Carnegie Museum where I volunteer in the public paleolab)

But yeah gently caress you JP3 Spinosaurus you think you were all the poo poo, but this is what you really looked like

Just a top heavy, giant, webbed foot, aquatic dinosaur; T-Rex would have kicked your rear end :argh:

Really if Jack Horner really wanted to make a "Super-predator" to kill T-Rex he should have gone with Carcharodontosaurus which literally means "Great White Shark Toothed Lizard"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

achillesforever6 posted:

Going back to JP3 I just want to say that this really vindicates my childhood hatred of that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlkiA7_H5M
(If you have the time watch it, really interesting doc plus it has my curator of the Carnegie Museum where I volunteer in the public paleolab)

But yeah gently caress you JP3 Spinosaurus you think you were all the poo poo, but this is what you really looked like

Just a top heavy, giant, webbed foot, aquatic dinosaur; T-Rex would have kicked your rear end :argh:

Really if Jack Horner really wanted to make a "Super-predator" to kill T-Rex he should have gone with Carcharodontosaurus which literally means "Great White Shark Toothed Lizard"

To be fair, a massive crocodile with extra accoutrement would be pretty cool in any other situation besides fighting a T-Rex. Have that thing just menacing a group of survivors in zodiac rafts? Get out of town that would be amazing. If they want to kill a T-Rex they could go with their new Mosasaur though which has to be somewhere between two and three t-rexes long.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

To be fair, a massive crocodile with extra accoutrement would be pretty cool in any other situation besides fighting a T-Rex. Have that thing just menacing a group of survivors in zodiac rafts? Get out of town that would be amazing. If they want to kill a T-Rex they could go with their new Mosasaur though which has to be somewhere between two and three t-rexes long.
Its kind of funny how the final "battle" with it in JP3 is actually pretty accurate with how it lived as a swimming dinosaur.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No joke the scene in JP3 where the Spinosaurus just chills at the edge of the jungle and looks at Grant & Co. for a while before attacking is pretty slick.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Let's just establish right now what the second and third movies were really missing. The real reason they suck compared to the first Jurassic Park.

They neither had a character as awesome as Robert Muldoon nor a death scene as bad rear end as his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

Jurassic World might be on the right track with Pratt"s character, but they need a truly bad rear end death scene with equally quotable final words.

Jurassic World needs a "Clever Girl".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

No joke the scene in JP3 where the Spinosaurus just chills at the edge of the jungle and looks at Grant & Co. for a while before attacking is pretty slick.
The best part is also that the cell phone ringtone is still audible even though its in the colon of that giant dinosaur

Crain posted:

Let's just establish right now what the second and third movies were really missing. The real reason they suck compared to the first Jurassic Park.

They neither had a character as awesome as Robert Muldoon nor a death scene as bad rear end as his:

Jurassic World might be on the right track with Pratt"s character, but they need a truly bad rear end death scene with equally quotable final words.

That and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clU0Sh9ngmY

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Crain posted:

Roland (Pete Postlethwaite) in The Lost World was a pretty awesome character even if he survived.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Whatever new dinosaur they're telegraphing, it looks like it'll be able to fly given the camera angle of the crowds running away and that 40-foot high fence line.

I'm so on board for this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

wordsauce posted:

Roland (Pete Postlethwaite) in The Lost World was a pretty awesome character even if he survived.
Roland Tembo is also a total white knight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I, Butthole posted:

Whatever new dinosaur they're telegraphing, it looks like it'll be able to fly given the camera angle of the crowds running away and that 40-foot high fence line.

I'm so on board for this.

I can't imagine it'll fly. Unless they, while making hybrid dinosaurs, literally made a dragon, which I would be like "uh" then "hmm" and then "yes good".

The overhead camera angle made me think that the pterodactyls get out (maybe the poster's idea about the new dinosaurs wrecking the other dinosaur areas releases them?). There's also the shot of the kid hiding in terror at what I imagine is a raptor, but that could be another trailer misdirection and and that could be one of Pratt's hunting dog raptors. He'll burst in and start licking the kid's face and then Chris Pratt comes in and is like "he likes you"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Like the Transformers movies I'm hard-wired to love this no matter what it is, so I'm beyond hyped.
I was rolling my eyes at the very idea of this movie... until I saw the trailer. Between the helicopter shots of the approach to Isla Nublar, the Gate and then the moment their version of William's theme started up I was instantly wrecked. Okay I'm a teenager again and I'm going to be here on opening night. Goddamn you nostalgia.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Roland looks an awful lot like Patrick Stewart, which means that The Lost World is a holodeck excursion. The jury's still out on JP3 though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Roland Tembo is also a total white knight.
He also defeated a bull T-Rex with just a rifle with a tranq dart... while on foot :stare:

They got rid of this scene just because they didn't want him too likable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope a raptor jumps a motorcycle off a ramp and high-fives a T-rex in mid air as they tag team super dino

• Locked thread