Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Darko posted:

It's not a Spielberg film.

Spielberg movies have almost absolute PERFECT balance between human elements and showing the "monster"/effects. Jaws and Jurassic Park are probably the most premiere examples of the genre. It's the perfect mix of buildup/anticipation and not showing too much/or too little.

War of the Worlds was also excellent in this, for a more recent example.

I agree. Spielberg always understands the power of restraint and doesn't spunk his entire load on overwrought CGI set pieces even when he has the budget to visualise whatever the gently caress he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Mr.48 posted:

I'm getting kind of tired of the "evil/reckless scientists wreak havoc with their creations" cliche. How about a drama about awesome scientists struggling to friggin' clone dinosaurs against all odds? Nope, we need a fourth movie where the dinosaurs break out and try to eat annoying kids.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also the Mosasaur is way too big, it just looks dumb.

A group of film-makers are sitting around a big table discussing the direction to take with the next Jurassic Park film.

"Hmmmm. I was thinking we should dial down the spectacle a few notches. You know, make things more about the day-to-day drama of gene scientists, and maybe scale the dinos down so they are more realistically proportioned. What do you think guys....guys?"

"You're fired."

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, I think feathered dinos look loving boss.

They also look terrifying to me. So otherworldly to what I was raised up. I love it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ApexAftermath posted:

I just really hope those Chris Pratt lines play better in context. His performance just feels stiff and weird. He sounds like he might burst into tears when he says to evacuate the island.
He knows how hosed this park is when this is all over, why must these movies end with the Park closing down forever, why can it be they solve the problem and everything goes back to normal.

I bet this poo poo starts because some Animal Liberation Front/Greenpeace assholes let the new death dinosaur escape because the dinosaurs are ruining the population of the unique indigenous wildlife. Screw the Isla Nublar deer, no one goes to this tiny island to see them, they come to see dinosaurs drat it! :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

A group of film-makers are sitting around a big table discussing the direction to take with the next Jurassic Park film.

"Hmmmm. I was thinking we should dial down the spectacle a few notches. You know, make things more about the day-to-day drama of gene scientists, and maybe scale the dinos down so they are more realistically proportioned. What do you think guys....guys?"

"You're fired."

It's more that I think the spectacle of Jurassic Park is seeing vaguely believable representations of dinosaurs. I've seen monsters the size of a submarine in countless movies, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Asylum films - I've not seen a really good depiction of a mososaur putting on a show for tourist, something that I think would be more amazing if it was presented with just a little more restraint. Bigger isn't always better.

I also know this is going to tie into the feather/no feather debate, but personally this bothers me, that doesn't. :iiam:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

exquisite tea posted:

It kinda seems like an 80ft sea monster that could leap out of the water and take out the first dozen rows of spectators over the barrier is pretty unsafe. Don't worry though, I'm sure it's a directorial masterstroke to demonstrate the inherent instabilities of any system that attempts to control engineered monsters for the entertainment of the well-to-do burgeosie consumer culture. And so on and so forth.

Orcas are real life animals that kill people all the time and they too are sequestered by a 3 foot high glass wall.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 26, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

mr.capps posted:

I want a modern and hip redesign of Mr. DNA

I was just watching the original last night and when Hammond goes "well this is just the preliminary version, it'll have a dramatic score etc.." I was just thinking - I sure as poo poo hope we get to see the final vision of this opening tour in Jurassic World.

I do really hope we get a good chunk of the film being the Park functioning before poo poo gets crazy. I do want to see what they managed to do to make a park where the first visitors largely were eaten into a viable product.

Also Exquisite Tea seems to me like maybe you just shouldn't watch the movie then instead of trying to convince the rest of us to hate it?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
"Waah, the aquatic reptile is too big! That's not realistic, things don't get that big! Less is more!" That's literally how loving big they were, shut up. I was obsessed with this poo poo when I was a little kid, and the aquatic reptiles were my favorite; I'm ecstatic to see them represented in a Jurassic Park film and I'm even more ecstatic to see them represented accurately in a Jurassic Park film. I'm not certain which species this one is, but eating a great white shark in one bite is completely within the realm of possibility for many of them. Also, giant facilities, particularly ones designed for amusement, are one of my great loves in life, and that loving arena is cool as hell. I will not have you take this away from me because your sense of wonder is screwed on backwards.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I appreciate exquisite tea's posts even if I don't agree wholly with them. Suppressing people from posting negative expressions and opinions suppresses discussion

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

The target demographic didn't like the feathers so they had to go.

I can't remember it coming up in the movies, even when JP3 started feathering its raptors, but yeah I thought this would be the right way to lampshade it if they ever wanted to.

-Dinosaurs keep hatching with feathers
-Nobody on Earth in the 90s is going to pay thousands of dollars for tickets to see a six foot turkey
-We're already successfully tampering with the genetic material anyway
-Suppress the feathers
-Put the dinosaurs that look like they should at the A site
-Hide the six-foot turkeys on Isla Nublar
-Profit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The end reveal should be a gigantic feathered t-rex that learns to fly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo Rasa posted:

The end reveal should be a gigantic feathered t-rex that learns to fly.

Get GRRM to narrate a voiceover - "And for the first time in millions of years, the night came alive with the music of dinosaurs."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The CG is the first to technically look better than The Lost World (lots of shots in JP look -bad- now; it's the models that still look fantastic), since JP3 was a step back in effects in many aspects. The only flaws at this stage (what you'd expect in an early trailer) aren't that bad at all.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Plot twist: Chris Pratt's character is a human-raptor hybrid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone please post that comparison of the Guardians of the Galaxy first trailer and the final release trailer.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The genetically altered dinosaur is going to fly, isn't it?

They seem to be hinting at it with the "did it climb (over this 40 foot wall)?" "Depends on what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab," line. Meaning "did it climb out of here?" "Well it would have to have unless it could fly." Kind of a callback to "they'll be fine unless raptors learn how to open doors" (Cut to a raptor opening a door.)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

LaughMyselfTo posted:

"Waah, the aquatic reptile is too big! That's not realistic, things don't get that big! Less is more!" That's literally how loving big they were, shut up. I was obsessed with this poo poo when I was a little kid, and the aquatic reptiles were my favorite; I'm ecstatic to see them represented in a Jurassic Park film and I'm even more ecstatic to see them represented accurately in a Jurassic Park film. I'm not certain which species this one is, but eating a great white shark in one bite is completely within the realm of possibility for many of them. Also, giant facilities, particularly ones designed for amusement, are one of my great loves in life, and that loving arena is cool as hell. I will not have you take this away from me because your sense of wonder is screwed on backwards.

I'm taking this away from you goon, the size of the largest mosasaur is estimated at 17m at most, and the one in the trailer has a head about eight and a half metres long. They also didn't have little spines down their backs, and they had that same blue-grey top/white bottom colouration that a lot of big ocean predators do (I think the trailer one might have that a bit though, it's hard to tell). Like I don't really care if the film is inaccurate but if you love this poo poo enough to get all salty about it, you should probably keep up with discoveries in palaeontology instead of relying on what you read in children's books years ago.

The trailer makes the film look like a bland, serious, standard hollywood blockbuster film plot with a vaguely interesting backdrop, so I'm probably not gonna watch it. The original film was a really good movie because all the parts of it worked really well, not just because it had cool dinosaur FX shots. This film doesn't look like it's going to be like that.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Red Bones posted:

I'm taking this away from you goon, the size of the largest mosasaur is estimated at 17m at most, and the one in the trailer has a head about eight and a half metres long. They also didn't have little spines down their backs, and they had that same blue-grey top/white bottom colouration that a lot of big ocean predators do (I think the trailer one might have that a bit though, it's hard to tell). Like I don't really care if the film is inaccurate but if you love this poo poo enough to get all salty about it, you should probably keep up with discoveries in palaeontology instead of relying on what you read in children's books years ago.

The trailer makes the film look like a bland, serious, standard hollywood blockbuster film plot with a vaguely interesting backdrop, so I'm probably not gonna watch it. The original film was a really good movie because all the parts of it worked really well, not just because it had cool dinosaur FX shots. This film doesn't look like it's going to be like that.

*cries in corner about misremembered oversized aquatic reptiles*

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As a palaeontologist, you guys complaining about accuracy in a movie about genetically modified monsters are just the worst.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ijyt posted:

As a palaeontologist, you guys complaining about accuracy in a movie about genetically modified monsters are just the worst.
Especially since most of these dinosaurs would be out of breath due to the atmosphere of the Mesozoic being about 10% (I think) more Oxygen rich than it is today :goonsay:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. The first movie never made any changes to the dinosaurs to make them more exciting to the viewer in a way. Things like giving the T-Rex binocular vision, frilly poison spit, or making the raptors twice as big as they should have been.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lotta people complaining about :

-CGI
-Child actors
-Hollywood blockbusters
-Scientifically inaccurate dinosaurs

...in the Jurassic Park thread.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lotta people complaining about :

-CGI
-Child actors
-Hollywood blockbusters
-Scientifically inaccurate dinosaurs

...in the Jurassic Park thread.

Yes bu-but that was 1993, our tastes are much more refined now. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm glad the millionth iteration of "this thing I liked as an 8 year old is going to be ruined" is proceeding according to schedule.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
They already established that they are loving with the genetics to make people want to come to the park. Who cares if the water reptiles (thank god we finally got one) looks too big in that shot. Maybe this is Mosasaur or whatever v2.0 and they gave him some blue whale DNA to increase his growth.

Being angry about an 80 foot dinosaur restrained by a tiny fence or a pack of raptors that love their handler is silly. We do that poo poo with animals all the time. Killer whales that let you pet their tongue, guys who wrestle with their lions and bears, raising packs of wolves, etc. Hell, maybe that Mosasaur is like those lazy 15 foot crocodiles at zoos that sit around behind their 3 foot fences and wait for the zoo keeper to literally walk up to them and drop a steak in their mouth?

Anyway, this looks awesome and I hope we get more than a 2 minute montage of the park operating peacefully and according to schedule.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Guys, calm down. Remember: Raptor Squad!

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I'm glad so many other people want to see some of how the park normally functions. When I was a kid Jurassic Park was one of those fictional locations I wanted so badly to exist so I could just explore it so I'd love to see how poo poo works right. It's also the reason I spent so many hours playing Trespasser as a ten-year-old despite the general glitchiness.

I'm also glad this probably means the Jurassic Park section in Universal Studios Orlando isn't going to be demolished for more Harry Potter stuff cuz I love it

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Trespasser actually owned as a game. Even with how glitchy and broken it is, it's fun as hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IMB posted:

Trespasser actually owned as a game. Even with how glitchy and broken it is, it's fun as hell.

It's also got my favorite Let's Play ever.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Had the best Hammond monologues too

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah the Research Indicates LP is lightyears better than the actual game. I should watch it again.

Whoolighams posted:

I'm glad so many other people want to see some of how the park normally functions. When I was a kid Jurassic Park was one of those fictional locations I wanted so badly to exist so I could just explore it so I'd love to see how poo poo works right. It's also the reason I spent so many hours playing Trespasser as a ten-year-old despite the general glitchiness.

I'm also glad this probably means the Jurassic Park section in Universal Studios Orlando isn't going to be demolished for more Harry Potter stuff cuz I love it

Me too. I used to draw elaborate dinosaur park maps and figure out where all the buildings and facilities would be. And I really hate to bring this up but if that mosasaur is as big as it seems, they would need to wall off a ludicrous acreage of ocean to give it a livable habitat. Or in other words they are probably keeping it in absolutely horrible living conditions just like SeaWorld. :v:

Also that freeze frame is not kind on the CG, look at the fences.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

IMB posted:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Reference to this in Jurassic World, please.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Hahahahahhahah, I gotta find my old CD and load that sonbitch up. I actually bought a version a few years ago off Amazon, and it was in frigging Chinese.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

link to this instead of the trailer in the OP please

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

But yeah gently caress you JP3 Spinosaurus you think you were all the poo poo, but this is what you really looked like

Just a top heavy, giant, webbed foot, aquatic dinosaur; T-Rex would have kicked your rear end :argh:

Thats what it looked like in the movie so I don't understand your point.

And I liked JP3 more than the Lost World. It had Sam Neil back and the amount of redshirts in the Lost World getting owned got old real quick. Not to mention that LA bullshit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

So basically what you are saying is these are the special effects I can look forward to in the movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
JP3 just didn't do anything interesting. It was just a bunch of people trying to escape the island and there wasn't much plot beyond that. The movie was a letdown because it just didn't try to do anything. Sam Neil is the movie's saving grace and he's a pleasure as always, but the rest of the movie is just so boring and unambitious.

JP1 was about the ethics of tampering with nature and things we couldn't possibly understand, TLW had kind of an animal conservation \ illegal poaching theme. JP3 was about a dysfunctional family on an island of dinos I guess? I feel like the movie was sorely lacking a human antagonist up to a no good scheme.

The first movie also had some really likable \ memorable characters played by talented actors, too - Dr. Alan Grant, John Hammond, Ian Malcolm, Robert Muldoon, Dennis Nedry and so on. JP2 and 3 both took characters from the first movie because that's who we wanted to see and the new castmembers were rarely all that interesting. (TLW had a few neat characters here and there, but they were mostly the bad guys like Roland Tembo.)

I think the next logical step after TLW would be to explore how reintroducing dinosaurs adversely effects the surrounding ecosystem. People smuggle compys off the island and sell them in the pet trade, only to realize they make terrible pets and release them like Iguanas in Florida. Raptors make it to the mainland and start eating people. Sauropods are causing deforestation, and so on. InGen get sued into oblivion, John Hammond winds up in prison and the federal government has to make laws prohibiting taking dinosaurs into the country.

Of course I guess that would make for a less interesting movie than Frankenstein super-dinos and raptor squads to most audiences so yeah.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gammatron 64 posted:

JP1 was about the ethics of tampering with nature and things we couldn't possibly understand, TLW had kind of an animal conservation \ illegal poaching theme. JP3 was about a dysfunctional family on an island of dinos I guess? I feel like the movie was sorely lacking a human antagonist up to a no good scheme.

JP3 was all about the family dynamic from what I remember. The main conflict is the people stealing the raptor eggs, and at the end a family of Pterodactyls escape into the outside world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

computer parts posted:

JP3 was all about the family dynamic from what I remember. The main conflict is the people stealing the raptor eggs, and at the end a family of Pterodactyls escape into the outside world.

It was. It was just a different kind of movie and I think a lot of people wanted to learn more about InGen or how the dinosaurs were doing in the modern world vs. a story about a dysfunctional family that so happened to have dinosaurs in it. It just feel much smaller scale than the last two in a big way. Even the effects aren't as good. It's more like a Jurassic Park side story than Jurassic Park 3, really.

• Locked thread