Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

CGI looking better with every new trailer

:dogbutton:

That was really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Or they got human DNA a different way.

:pervert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
The game (and new movie) does look good, but my crippling OCD makes the TT games unbearable. I feel the need to destroy everything and anything that gives me studs, and then to collect every stud when it explodes out. It makes the games last way too long, and before I've even finished the first level I'm already burnt out. :negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Stare-Out posted:

Possibly. There are playable dinosaurs but it's not confirmed if they're actual characters you can switch to or just setpiece type things.

I dunno, are there even a 100 characters to gather from the films, not counting the dinosaurs? I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller ones did end up bona fide selectable characters.

edit: I wonder if we'll get super obscure characters that most people don't even recognize, like Henry Wu or something.

edit 2: It seems Wu will have a much bigger role in the new film, so I suppose that'd be a yes

edit 3: A playable Dotson? Or perhaps Gennaro? Or a playable 'the kid from the dig-site' :allears:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 16, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

precision posted:

Don't forget Dodgson. We've got Dodgson here!

I don't know, the child characters wouldn't feel safe around him these days. :ohdear:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

blackguy32 posted:

I thought the genesis Jurassic Park was way better than the SNES version. I never did play the genesis sequel though. However I did play the SNES sequel and it was hard as gently caress but it was fantastic. It had some loving awesome music.

I think the novelty of playing as the raptor alone put the Genesis version above the SNES.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Peanut President posted:

Is it bad that it took me a second?

Same here, I was thinking "decent sculpt, good paint job, cool pose, what's the.....ooooh..." :what:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

Jurassic Park toys were the best thing ever when I was a kid. Firing missiles, biting electronic dinosaurs with CAPTURE GEAR, dinosaurs and vehicles with DINO DAMAGE, hell yeah. :krad:

The objectively best Jurassic Park dino toy of all time. :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zefiel posted:

I beg to differ. :colbert:

I don't know, wasn't that one like, solid plastic?

The reason I always rated the young one higher was because of the latex like neck, which meant you could sort of move his head around and open/close his mouth, which made devouring hapless G.I. Joes even more satisfying.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zefiel posted:

Nope. It was amazing, only the legs were solid plastic, the rest was the same latex-like material, so you could really get it to open its mouth. I did it with mine so much the mouth tore open and -then- the Rex could really eat the original JP figures years before Kenner figured out the Bull TRex

drat I guess I missed out then. :(

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

It also made electronic stomping noises when you stomped its feet on the ground.

Ugh, kids should make their own sound effects, like I always did. Don't need no electronic doohickies to make sound effects for us! :corsair:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

PriorMarcus posted:

"She's killing for sport."

There's no way she doesn't have some human DNA mixed in.

"You added human DNA?" :clint:

"We thought it would make imprinting easier, and help our trainers teach them tricks! WE DIDN'T KNOWLISTEN!" :negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I feel the same way, albeit for slightly different reasons. The reason the park failed was Nedry, not "life finds a way". Worse case scenario, more dinosaurs would eventually be recognized by the staff than were supposed to be in the pens. Is that really a catastrophic failure?

I think the book mentions how each paddock has multiple video cameras that track the dinos to make sure they know their numbers, but there was some problem that made the staff not notice. I don't remember but it was sort of flaky, and even then more dinos doesn't mean the park is a disaster.

Imagine if Nedry hadn't hosed everything up; they would have identified the breeding problem, traced it to the frog DNA, altered the DNA so that future dinos didn't suffer the same fate, and everything would have been golden.

Similarly in the sequel, everything screws up because our plucky heroes let the caged dinosaurs loose in the camp, and the grizzled hunter guy fucks around with the baby T-Rex (which causes a lot of trouble for everyone in the form of angry T-Rex parents).

Basically the only thing that really caused the downfall of Jurassic Park was the rear end in a top hat humans and a very flawed security program, not the dinosaurs themselves. So it sort of makes the whole philosophy of "didn't earn it", "didn't think if they should", and "life finds a way" rubbish completely unfounded.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

feedmyleg posted:

The problem is that zoos contain animals. The dinosaurs in Jurassic park are not animals, they're monsters.

Not sure if you're being specious or not, but I guess that's the downside to the film. It tried to go for scientific accuracy, but fell down quite a few times (imho).

Raptors opening doors? Hell, the thought process involved alone is pretty implausible; "the tasty pink things ran through this, so if I claw at this handle thing I can get in and eat them!" is pretty far fetched. That might be behavior exhibited by a domesticated house cat, but these aren't domesticated animals. I'd guess most wild animals would simply think you're a wizard who disappeared through a magical portal and that was that.

And of course there's the scale errors in the dinosaurs, compared to actual fossils, dinosaurs spitting when there's no evidence to suggest so, T-Rex having no sense of smell and lovely eyesight, etc. etc. They really were downgraded to B-movie monsters. :(

However I'm still convinced Jurassic Park would have succeed if not for human interference. :colbert:

edit: on second thought, on the issue of scale I suppose they get a pass for the raptor at least, I guess it's just a technicality that the name is wrong.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure the park could really be called a success without human interference. Unless I suppose Wu engineered some monkeys to be smart enough to hold down jobs that pay well enough for them to go on a vacation to Jurassic Park.

Robots.

No dino would eat a robot now would they.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That depends; can the robot feel pain?

They aren't programmed to, however some develop feelings and gain consciousness and become wise-cracking smart asses.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Devol_Tettran posted:

But if they opened Westworld on the same island too...

Okay then disaster is afoot. :ohdear:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

It's a component of the park's systems. They didn't manufacture the computers and electric fences on the island, either.

I'd assume also for the super rich who would scoff at the idea of taking a boat with filthy poors, a jet+helicopter transport would be arranged. So in a way it is as much a part of the park as the ride vehicles and jeeps.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Danger posted:

The Delorean DMC-12

That one does work both ways, seeing the car makes me think of BttF, and seeing BttF makes me think of a DeLorean.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Octy posted:

Any goons who saw the original release care to confirm or deny this? It seems pretty weird to me.

Definitely stdh, no doubt in my mind.

Also from the same site:

quote:

Wondering

After Dr. Grant and the children avoid being crushed by the Ford Explorer, there were originally three different versions of when Dr. Grant and the children wonder into the jungle.

I wonder where they wondered so wonderly.

edit: also the bit about Goldblum convincing Spielberg to change a bit with his character seems weird too, especially as it happens on screen just like it's written in the script.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 4, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ruby idiot railed posted:

AIUI dialogue changes during filming get rolled up into the shooting script so they are literally on the same page to work off every day.

Fair enough, but it's not exactly just a change to dialog is it. I mean, the article says Malcolm was going to cowardly run away and that was it? But then it changed to Malcolm grabbing a flare, imitating Grant, getting chased/engaged by the Rex, nearly getting eaten, and also getting injured somewhat seriously (he is effectively out of action the rest of the film).

So to say a change that drastic happened casually with a quick rewrite of dialog is a bit specious.

If you think about it, what if Malcolm hadn't grabbed the flare and instead ran away as the article suggested? Would the Rex have noticed him? Would he have gotten injured? Would he have had a more active role in the rest of the film? Would he have gotten separated from everyone else? It's a big change to make, especially for the actor themselves to suggest it. That's why I'm sort of skeptical on the whole thing.

Now if that article said it was Goldblum's idea for the "when you gotta go" toilet joke, that would be easy to believe.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I thought it was alright. :yaycloud:

edit: though the ladies' acting seems a bit wooden.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Macaluso posted:

I think some of you guys are really overestimating the amount of people who are going to think the dinosaurs look bad

Not only that, but these days making photo-realistic looking dinos is a lot easier than you might think for a big production studio with talented artists, I'm sure they'll handle it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Deakul posted:

I think this might fit better in a thread actually about Whedon or done via PM, feels like we're cluttering up the JW thread.

• Locked thread