Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So the internet hates him because his wife cheated on him or something? Jesus christ.

In fairness, he's not saying "why did far cry 3 get a nomination and not borderlands 2". He's just quite reasonably saying "why did far cry 3 get nominated" and seriously, how did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

mycot posted:

They also admitted that the cat statue in the Next Episode previews is another thing that never showed up. I was looking forward to how that would have made sense in context.

That actually shows up.
e:^ it's AAA so I assume bribery.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

VagueRant posted:

So the internet hates him because his wife cheated on him or something? Jesus christ.
In fairness, he's not saying "why did far cry 3 get a nomination and not borderlands 2". He's just quite reasonably saying "why did far cry 3 get nominated" and seriously, how did it?

He convinced his wife to have an open relationship and got angry she got more action than he did, it's pretty stupid stuff all around and tends to clog up Borderlands threads.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

VagueRant posted:

They make fun of him because he forced his wife into an open relationship which spectacularly backfired with him not being able to actually find anyone that'd date/have sex with him, only person he did date was a grabby gay guy, the open relationship eventually led to his wife leaving him and taking his wiiu

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Khizan posted:

I assumed this was just interference from the storm.

:thejoke:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ErichZahn posted:

That actually shows up.
e:^ it's AAA so I assume bribery.

Huh, what are they talking about then?

quote:

Haha yeah I tried to get that cat back. He was from an early rev on the character. We pivoted off a cat being involved in his story, so now you're stuck with a next time on that make 7% less sense. Sorry

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jenny was a really boring character and devoid of the brokenness that kinda defines every other Pandoran. Zed, Scooter, Marcus, Tina, Moxxi, etc are all fundamentally good-ish deep down but they're all seriously damaged goods from having to live on Pandora.

Ekusukariba posted:

They make fun of him because he forced his wife into an open relationship which spectacularly backfired with him not being able to actually find anyone that'd date/have sex with him, only person he did date was a grabby gay guy, the open relationship eventually led to his wife leaving him and taking his wiiu
This is pretty much it and it's loving hilarious.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fabricated posted:

Jenny was a really boring character and devoid of the brokenness that kinda defines every other Pandoran. Zed, Scooter, Marcus, Tina, Moxxi, etc are all fundamentally good-ish deep down but they're all seriously damaged goods from having to live on Pandora.

I can agree with that. It really bugged me that she was like a combination of Tannis and Scooter but without the interesting parts of either.

The Presequel also had cyborg merc grandpa voiced by Ladd Russo so it's take some lose some.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

mycot posted:

Edit: if people didn't skim that AMA then I like how Telltale admits the achievement names don't actually mean anything. Clever.

Yeah, but getting an achievement titled "What's it Worth?" just when Sasha was in the middle of biting it made that scene way more effective than it should've been considering it was another fakeout.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also his wife left him for a goon

Not only a goon but an LP goon

Not only a goon, not only an LP goon, but an LP goon that lives in his parents' trailer in fuckin backwoods Louisiana

It's perhaps the most hilarious thing ever

Also realtalk Anthony Burch gets ridiculed a lot both because he revealed that poo poo (that info isn't from doxxing or some poo poo, we know all this from tweets that he made to garner...sympathy? I guess?) and also and to me more importantly he's that sort of self-aggrandizing feminist who doesn't really care about feminism so much as hectoring people on the internet. He's the sort of feminist that makes people who care about feminism roll their eyes because it's a bunch of hugboxy tweets about how more progressive they are than everyone else. It's that distinctly Burch combination of his life being a complete disaster and him being totally full of himself that makes him a really easy target

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://www.themarysue.com/talking-female-characters-friendzoning-and-representation-with-the-writers-of-borderlands-the-pre-sequel/

quote:

“They wanted to make a friendly, likable, not-homicidal character for the player to befriend,” said Burch. “Eventually, we decided it’d be cool to make her a lesbian as well (as franchise director Matthew Armstrong pointed out we had lots of bisexual women characters, but no lesbians). Once we did that, it gave us an interesting angle to push on depending on which character you play as.”

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So she was intentionally made insanely boring. Check.

Also Sir Hammerlock was friendly (and canonically gay) and not homicidal outside of being a hunter and he was cool.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Well, it's more that her creation was dictated from on high than anything else.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mycot posted:

He did some scenes, just like what all non main writers do. The scenes he definitely did were the one where Rhys returns to Helios and the eyeball scene.

Which were great scenes. And the latter was one of the best scenes in the game IMO.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
After a point, knowing too much about the lives of game writer people reflects more poorly on you then on them .
All I know is whoever wrote Jack's dialog in Tales did a great job cause he is far more entertaining then in BL2 .

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Guys OP is going to close this thread if we continue talking about AB getting cucked. As funny as it is (very) I enjoy talking about the actual TftB series so we should stop talking about AB getting cucked.

I found August to be kind of a lame character. It seems like he kind of just exists to push the plot forward, but has no real mind of his own. He pretty much does whatever the player or his boss wants him to do. He's like a human gun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

Guys OP is going to close this thread if we continue talking about AB getting cucked. As funny as it is (very) I enjoy talking about the actual TftB series so we should stop talking about AB getting cucked.

Har Har you smartass.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I found August to be kind of a lame character. It seems like he kind of just exists to push the plot forward, but has no real mind of his own. He pretty much does whatever the player or his boss wants him to do. He's like a human gun.

I rather liked August towards the end. He begrudgingly helps out despite all the poo poo we put him through. His skill set is just labeled "brawler", which doesn't sound impressive but his moves in the final fight were pretty badass. Gortys cracking her robot knuckles as he took over was great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
A retrospective on the game from Telltale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMm0gN0H9c

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hate borderlands but bought htis and it is fukkin awesome really touching too, good job telltale.

didn't see the reveal coming. that was clever and cute :3:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I am deeply saddened by the number of people who will refuse to play this game because it is borderlands and thus miss out on one of the best games of the year.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is there any way to save the case of cash in the first episode? I must have rewound and played through '2 Fast 2 Fiona' 4 or 5 times and no matter what I do I can save Felix but the case still goes boom.

This game is amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The cash goes bye-bye no matter what.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WarLocke posted:

Is there any way to save the case of cash in the first episode? I must have rewound and played through '2 Fast 2 Fiona' 4 or 5 times and no matter what I do I can save Felix but the case still goes boom.

This game is amazing.

How far have you played through so far?

But no, there's no way to save the case. Luckily there's plenty of other opportunities to find cash throughout the game, if never quite that much.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

How far have you played through so far?

But no, there's no way to save the case. Luckily there's plenty of other opportunities to find cash throughout the game, if never quite that much.

I'm a little into episode two (and Vaughn's ridiculously ripped abs :stare:)

This is my first Telltale game and I am kicking myself for missing out until now.

e: Are there any particularly big cash payouts I should save for? I went cheapo on the racing masks because I only had $235 :ohdear:

And since I've played BL2 but not beaten it, I kind of freaked out at the Jack reveal...

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

WarLocke posted:

I'm a little into episode two (and Vaughn's ridiculously ripped abs :stare:)

This is my first Telltale game and I am kicking myself for missing out until now.

e: Are there any particularly big cash payouts I should save for? I went cheapo on the racing masks because I only had $235 :ohdear:

And since I've played BL2 but not beaten it, I kind of freaked out at the Jack reveal...

You're completely missing the point of these type of games. Don't replay anything until you've completed all five episodes. And don't look at spoilers for anything. It will ruin the experience. A lot of the fun is comparing how different your playthrough was to other people.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 4, 2016

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah. You can't really get it "wrong". Just go with your instinct and watch it shape the narrative.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Geniasis posted:

Yeah. You can't really get it "wrong". Just go with your instinct and watch it shape the narrative.

It seems like a lot of choices aren't very clear-cut in what the character actually does with them. Or I have trouble deciding which nuanced choice a particular character would choose in that situation. But I guess that's a good thing.

What's up with Athena having glowy eyes and voice modulation in Hollow Point? I don't remember any of that in TPS.

Also, the climax of episode 2 (I am trying to draw this out and savor it instead of rushing through in one day) was intense as hell. I probably hosed up letting Jack into my brainmeat, but Fiona's "plan" seemed even worse...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WarLocke posted:

It seems like a lot of choices aren't very clear-cut in what the character actually does with them. Or I have trouble deciding which nuanced choice a particular character would choose in that situation. But I guess that's a good thing.

What's up with Athena having glowy eyes and voice modulation in Hollow Point? I don't remember any of that in TPS.

Also, the climax of episode 2 (I am trying to draw this out and savor it instead of rushing through in one day) was intense as hell. I probably hosed up letting Jack into my brainmeat, but Fiona's "plan" seemed even worse...

Make sure to check out the LP when you're finished (but not UNTIL you've finished), since they went the other way! (it's a good LP)

Also, there's only two points in the game where you can really make the "wrong" choice, and trusting Fiona is definitely one of those wrong choices. You did the right thing.

That doesn't mean you won't regret it, of course

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

WarLocke posted:

Remember, the main game is two unreliable narrators telling as outlandish a story as they can get away with without being contradicted by people who know better.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CuwiKhons posted:

Remember, the main game is two unreliable narrators telling as outlandish a story as they can get away with without being contradicted by people who know better.

Don't forget Marcus, the narrator at the start of every episode and the other games. It's an Inception of unreliable narrators.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

GlyphGryph posted:

Make sure to check out the LP when you're finished (but not UNTIL you've finished), since they went the other way! (it's a good LP)

Also, there's only two points in the game where you can really make the "wrong" choice, and trusting Fiona is definitely one of those wrong choices. You did the right thing.

That doesn't mean you won't regret it, of course

You're going to have to remind me what you're referring to. If one of them is what I think it is, I still wouldn't call it the "wrong" choice exactly, though I agree with you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Geniasis posted:

You're going to have to remind me what you're referring to. If one of them is what I think it is, I still wouldn't call it the "wrong" choice exactly, though I agree with you.

I'd say there's a lot of them from a 'best ending ever' perspective, actually. If you do not:

- Warn Felix
- Tell Mordecai you're a Vault Hunter
- Be nice to Athena and/or tell Springs that Athena loves her
- Blame someone who's not August for the Vault Key deal loving up
- Honor Scooter
- Stop Athena from killing Cassius

your ending will not be as awesome as it otherwise could be.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 7, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The other wrong choice is hiring the mystery vault hunter.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I chose that option because I liked surprises. I did not like that surprise at all. :negative:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wait, do people really not like Claptrap? I thought that him being hated was mostly in-universe. I love the little guy

Seriously though, I did miss a lot of those choices and ended up with Athena, Dr. Cassius, and August. Which I actually liked to be honest. As cool as Zer0 would have been, it was really awesome to have a team of characters who had really been a part of the story and had a stake in what happened.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You fail unless you bring [spoiler]Athena AND Janey[/url] along.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which is it, a spoiler or a url???

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Geniasis posted:

Wait, do people really not like Claptrap? I thought that him being hated was mostly in-universe. I love the little guy

I also love that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I think he was terrible in 1 and great in 2, mostly on account of the sequel leaning into how bad he was the first time around.

• Locked thread