Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I am honestly shocked more people aren't being dicks to Vaughn. Dude's a creepy midget with a obnoxious voice, and he betrayed you to suit guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Irish Joe posted:

I am honestly shocked more people aren't being dicks to Vaughn. Dude's a creepy midget with a obnoxious voice, and he betrayed you to suit guy.

And great abs.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Dude's like... freaky ripped though.

e; fb

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

That song would work great for the opening of episode 3. Assuming it's a mess of crazy Atlas base security going haywire and shooting up the place/August's mooks. I'm pretty excited to see how the cliffhanger resolves, the situation is primed for being absolutely hosed. I'll be a little surprised if Vaughan and Sasha both make it out alive, since they're definitely the most expendable of the supporting cast at the moment.
This kind of raises the question of whether or not New-U stations are a thing. In any other series one would assume those were just a gameplay mechanic and wouldn't show up but in Borderlands 1 basically the very first thing you do is give your DNA to the system and BL2 has the "Kill Yourself" quest which also goes to show that no, those aren't just a way to handwave gameplay mechanics, they are actually a thing that everyone knows about. I could absolutely see a mostly comedic game like this killing off a main character and playing it for drama right up until they show up unharmed 10 minutes later because they had to hoof it back over from the closest New-U station. The only real excuse they have for not doing that is if they do something to piss off the entire hyperion corp. enough to get them wiped from the system like Roland was. That or they just never got around to doing it out of laziness which I could also totally see from this game.

Irish Joe posted:

Oh, you :rolleyes:

strangemusic posted:

And great abs.
He is pretty yolked. I'm a little envious of the definition he's got going there...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I get the impression the New U stations are mostly a vault hunter thing. Peons and the bandits you normally deal with don't get access.

I mean Wallethead (I honestly can't think of him other than that) was ready to shoot Rhys and Vaughn and he doesn't seem THAT dumb to just let them pop back alive.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I get the impression the New U stations are mostly a vault hunter thing. Peons and the bandits you normally deal with don't get access.

I mean Wallethead (I honestly can't think of him other than that) was ready to shoot Rhys and Vaughn and he doesn't seem THAT dumb to just let them pop back alive.
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that. Maybe it's something that only people in high risk work do.

By high risk I mean murdering people and taking their stuff.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually assumed the bandits did use the New-U stations and that's how they're always respawning everywhere - you're not actually killing ten thousand bandits, you're killing the same few hundred bandits over and over. Would also explain how Marcus is still around, as I'm pretty sure he got shot in one of the DLCs. Maybe they're just really pricey and most randos just can't afford to use them. And Wallethead is the head honcho of Hyperion, the people who control the New-U system, so I'm pretty sure if he wants someone to stay dead, they stay dead.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
New-U is not considered part of the world. It's purely the mechanic for how the player reenters the game after they die. It's no more a part of the actual setting than the player stashes that let you twink guns between characters. That's the gospel on high from Gearbox. The characters would react to someone bringing them up the way Fiona reacts to Scooter doing his pose for an invisible audience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Doodles posted:

New-U is not considered part of the world. It's purely the mechanic for how the player reenters the game after they die. It's no more a part of the actual setting than the player stashes that let you twink guns between characters. That's the gospel on high from Gearbox.
Could you link where they said this? I've been curious about this point myself for a while, because the BL games themselves are weird about how they regard New-Us.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I went to Old Haven first with Team Boys, what happens if you try to meet up with Team Girls first? And did anybody open Sasha's present?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

You don't get to see Janey Springs at all (:() and the Girls' interactions with Athena are a lot less civil. Namely, she's about to nab them when loader bot flies in, grabs her, and literally throws her across town. The boys don't actually show up at all, it just cuts to them approaching Old Haven in the caravan

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I hope Gaige and Krieg make more of an appearance. They had my favorite back-story blurbs, and I'd like to see their characters now that the series is in more competent writing hands. I liked Pre-Sequel well enough, but none of the protaganists interested me in the least, because they didn't have the "nothing to lose" vibe of the Bl 2 characters. Hell, PSQ has a character who's only there because she's rich and bored.

Anyhow, Episode 2 was worth the wait, but I really hope the rest of the series can keep up a better pace with releases.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 16, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

InequalityGodzilla posted:

You don't get to see Janey Springs at all (:() and the Girls' interactions with Athena are a lot less civil. Namely, she's about to nab them when loader bot flies in, grabs her, and literally throws her across town. The boys don't actually show up at all, it just cuts to them approaching Old Haven in the caravan

No, they do. After Loaderbot whips Athena across town Rhys and Vaughan are back at the garage and you can tell Scooter they're your friends, which gets a nice reaction if you're trying to get the four main characters to get along.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I brought this today on a whim despite not having any particular love for the Borderlands universe. This game is far better than it has any right to be. It's just more charming than any Telltale game in a long time, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything having not finished either of the two previous games.

But most importantly, got to preserve that bullet through the whole game. It's the only choice.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just bought ep 1 today and I'm pleasantly surprised. Apart from theshade jump scares, and even those were funny with the option to slap the poo poo out of him this game is pretty hilarious

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 5, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CottonWolf posted:

I brought this today on a whim despite not having any particular love for the Borderlands universe. This game is far better than it has any right to be. It's just more charming than any Telltale game in a long time, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything having not finished either of the two previous games.

You are missing many very small things from not having played/finished the two (three) previous games, but if you have "no love" for the universe then you're noot missing anything of value to yourself.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I have no idea how you can afford the 1000 plus options for the ride, didn't spend any cash in either game, and didn't break 1k until after that scene. Also was it possible to hack anything other than the gun? It looked like the car was an option, and the gun had 3 things to try, but the first I looked at moved the scene along.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I afforded the top car option with a hundred or so to spare. There's cash lying about in various places, like behind posters on walls (:confused:), just gotta scour every inch of the landscape to find it. In true Borderlands style.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AirRaid posted:

You are missing many very small things from not having played/finished the two (three) previous games, but if you have "no love" for the universe then you're noot missing anything of value to yourself.

It's almost convincing me to go back and have another try. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started the first one or something. I didn't get very far, I just gave up. Which would you advise would be the best one to play?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't remember Janey showing up at all in Ep. 2 so I think I made a mistake in my playthrough :ohdear:

Also is Ep. 3 out yet? C'mon Telltale, I needs a fix bad...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You didn't make a mistake, you can't make mistakes like in The Walking Dead, Janey shows up if you have Rhys and Vaughn go straight to Old Haven, Fiona and Sasha encounter her in Scooters place.]

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

It's almost convincing me to go back and have another try. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started the first one or something. I didn't get very far, I just gave up. Which would you advise would be the best one to play?

BL2 probably. BL1 shows it's age a bit, and TPS was a tiny step down in a lot of ways. Bear in mind they are nothing like this in gameplay terms. If you want to see more of the world and the tone of the humour suits you then you might enjoy yourself tthough.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BL2 is probably the best one of the FPS genre. Play through 1 if you want the complete story, or just skip to 2 (like I did) if you don't particularly care and want to experience the best of the series.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The best advice I can give is to play Bl2 (or 1) with a buddy. Preferably in the same room. With access to alcohol. Nothing makes those games more of a blast than making fun of each other dying, or reaching over and smacking them for stealing a gun from a chest you opened.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah definitely play with a friend if possible. If not in the same room then make sure you have voice chat.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Borderlands is a lot of fun with a buddy but can be really boring otherwise. I owned the first game for years without finishing it then in coop knocked it out in a single night because it was that much more enjoyable. BL2 is good enough to play solo but coop really adds to the experience.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Agreed with playing with friends. Even having one or two buddies on a Skype call will make the game way more enjoyable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Any day week now.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I love this game! My favorite part is easily in the first episode when you meet Vaughn for the first time. You get the choice of blowing his mind or breaking his heart.

Atma McCuddles posted:

And did anybody open Sasha's present?

It's a pocket watch that has "Time heals all wounds." engraved on it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's been like, two months, but the next episode is coming out the week of June 23!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

New episode tomorrow! Finally.

Think I'll replay Episode 2 tonight to remind myself of what's going on. I'm really looking forward to finding out how the current cliffhanger resolves itself, because as is the two choices seem really different. If I had to guess, I'd say there'll be two different opening sequences that are fairly similar, except in one the base security is on your side and taking out August's goons while you run, and in the other they're haywire and trying to take out everyone while you also run.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I am so amazingly excited there are really no words for it. Hopefully the updates will pick up the pace with this release just like The Wolf Among Us

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
:siren: Episode 3 launch trailer :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYKid6PQvk

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well that was fun! For some reason it felt a tiny bit less polished in places, but the story's going interesting places and all the characters shine bright.

First thing's first, I think Athena's out of the story. I looked up some Borderlands stuff and the framing device for the Pre-Sequel is Brick and Mordecai dragging Athena to Lilith to answer her questions about Jack. I think this must've been how that happened. That aside, though, her mentoring Fiona for a while was pretty neat, giving her lessons on how to be a Vault Hunter - it's enough to make me wonder if Fiona'll join the cast of Vault Hunters in the main-line games, she was holding her own with the other named characters by the end of it.

Now, when I said the polish was a bit off, partly I'm talking about the animation in some of the fight scenes. In particular, the opening scene with the Atlas robots and the bandits was a bit jerky. Maybe the version where Jack takes over the security looks a little better. Some things also felt a little off, like how little Vaughan was in the episode. Also, is Vaughan dead? Seems like they were implying Vallory killed him.

The Sasha and Rhys stuff was cute, I thought, although I was a little surprised to see only 30% of players went for it. Maybe it was how it was presented, it was kind of awkward, and not just literally awkward like Rhys stammering with the flower but awkward in the story like they weren't sure how to write it. A little more comedy might've helped smooth their scenes walking to the tower, even the punchline where Sasha lets go of Rhys and falls all of two feet didn't feel like enough to balance out the rest of the scene. Still, they're pretty fun together, and it's kind of neat to see the vibes from the first episode following through.

Gortys is a lot of fun. I never guessed it'd be a robot, much less a fun, naive ball of friendliness. The upgrade was a bit weird but they make for a good plot motivator, although I guess they don't need any more parts since she/it figured out the Vault is actually on the moon?

Glad that Vasquez is dead, although his death didn't seem to get enough fanfare for how much of a pain in the rear end he'd been. Jack also felt a little underutilized, although that might be because I kept telling him to screw off. I guess if you're going back to Helios next episode that'll be his time to shine, but yeah, some of the plot threads like what Felix was up to/is up to now weren't followed up on as much this time through. Probably just mid-season hang-time.

It'll probably be a few more months until the next episode, but I enjoyed this one and looking forward to seeing where the rest of the season goes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dolash posted:

The Sasha and Rhys stuff was cute, I thought, although I was a little surprised to see only 30% of players went for it. Maybe it was how it was presented, it was kind of awkward, and not just literally awkward like Rhys stammering with the flower but awkward in the story like they weren't sure how to write it. A little more comedy might've helped smooth their scenes walking to the tower, even the punchline where Sasha lets go of Rhys and falls all of two feet didn't feel like enough to balance out the rest of the scene. Still, they're pretty fun together, and it's kind of neat to see the vibes from the first episode following through.

I kept the flower for myself, and was surprised that only 18% chose that one.

Telltale managed to trick me good with the subsequent Sasha "sacrificing" herself - was wondering if they seriously were killing her off or if I just sucked at QTEs...and then, the payoff.

Also, DON'T use the clothing changing machine. I got a bug where the mouse cursor got permanently stuck on the screen and every time I returned back from the pause menu I was back in the clothing change menu again. Had to restart the chapter because of that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ymgve posted:

Also, DON'T use the clothing changing machine. I got a bug where the mouse cursor got permanently stuck on the screen and every time I returned back from the pause menu I was back in the clothing change menu again. Had to restart the chapter because of that.

Oh, I got that but it went away as soon as I moved onto the next part.

Fiona's gotta stay styl'n and she bought gifts for everyone! :3:

(except Loaderbot, he's too expensive...sorry bro.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Clothing machine worked fine for me. Glad it did, everyone is baller as hell now. :whatup:

That was a hell of a ride and I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for the next one. I want it now, Telltale!

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Episode was good as always. If the last two episodes keep up the quality, I would put this series even ahead of Waking Dead S1 for Tales series.

The action scenes was definitely jankey at some points, god does the Tales engine need an upgrade. I can't tell if it was supposed to be a meta joke to have one character mock another for trying to roll out of the way of a bullet, and then have another character literally roll away from bullets.

The break between the episodes have been long at about 4 months, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for episode 4 before October or so.

Anyone have suspicions on who the masked guy is, assuming he is a known character? His personality doesn't seem to match with anyone like Felix for example.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

So It Goes posted:

Anyone have suspicions on who the masked guy is, assuming he is a known character? His personality doesn't seem to match with anyone like Felix for example.

Vasquez in a life sustaining suit a la Darth Vader. Calling it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

So It Goes posted:

Vaughn's sexy abs have turned evil and found a robo-suit. Now they're getting revenge for being paralyzed. :ohdear:

God, I love these episodes, and they're either staying consistently fantastic or getting better. In regards to Sasha I made sure to keep it friendly and not romantic. Sorry, Sash, but I'm saving Rhy's heart for Fiona.

• Locked thread