Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tales from the Borderlands is a Telltale Games adventure game for the Borderlands universe, in the same style as their recent licensed adventure games. (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and what will be the concurrently running Game of Thrones series). Like all of the aforementioned titles, it will be released episodically. There are 5 episodes planned, with "roughly" a month between them.

PLATFORMS AND RELEASE DATES

PC (Telltale Store and Steam) - November 25, 2014
    Playstation 4 (Playstation Network US) - November 25
    Playstation 3 (Playstation Network US) - November 25
    Xbox One - November 26
    Xbox 360 - December 3
    Playstation 4 (Playstation Network EU) - December 3
    Playstation 3 (Playstation Network EU) - December 3
    IOS - December 12

Information on other platforms (such as Android) is to be released.

TRAILER
Welcome Back to Pandora (Again): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOPmNBM3Yew

STORY
The game takes place after the entirety of Borderlands 2. Like 1 and 2, the setting is the isolated, inhospitable, devourer of all corporate attempts to colonize it - the planet Pandora.

There are two protagonists: Rhys (the inescapable Troy Baker), a white-collar worker of the intergalactic megacorp Hyperion with aspirations of ruling the company, and Fiona (Laura Bailey), a famed Pandoran con artist who unfortunately is becoming too famous to continue the job and is trying to go out with a bang.

The framing device is these two telling their side of the story, including competing versions of the same events. Another twist on top of that is that neither make for a reliable narrator - both will question the other's account while trying to embellish their own. According to Telltale co-founder Kevin Bruner "You never really play what actually happened, you're playing this Big Fish version of what happened."

The story will have the theme of greed, with brought up examples including having the choice to profit from throwing people under the bus, or being forced to pick only one out of multiple appealing choice rather than between two hard decisions.

MISCELLANEOUS FAQ
Do I need to play like 3 games before this one?
Like the rest of Telltale licensed games, the writers have aimed for a game with lots of things to appreciate for existing fans but is still entirely comprehensible for players that have never touched the source material.

Who's behind this thing?
The nature of the collaboration means the game is written and designed by a Telltale writing team, with Gearbox writers in a "consulting" position. This is similar to the past roles of the authors of the original comics for their respective games.

Where's Krieg?
The majority of the cast will be made of new characters like Rhys and Fiona, but there will be an unknown number of returning characters from the other Borderlands games. Fingers crossed.

If anything is missing, then just ping me right in this thread.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
I was not excited at all about this game and was really looking forward to the Game of Thrones Telltale game. After reading several reviews this seems like a rock solid game and I want it now. With the steam sell starting tomorrow I am going to wait but I am excited to give it a go.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mycot posted:

Where's Krieg?

This is the most important question.

Also, the game is live on steam. Installing now :toot:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I have never played a Borderlands game, but I took the plunge and preordered this purely on the strength of Telltale's recent work. I'm hoping it doesn't rely too much on knowledge of the games, but I'm thinking it should be fine. I knew nothing about The Walking Dead or Fables and didn't have any issues getting into their worlds. I'm looking forward to playing the first chapter tonight.

I know a lot of people like to wait until an entire season is out before buying a Telltale game, but I really like the episodic format. It's fun getting a self-contained chapter of a game that can be played in one sitting every once in awhile, rather than just another 10-15 hour long game to add to the backlog during a sale.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just wish they were more transparent about the timing of the episodes.

Finishing episodes 1-4 of The Walking Dead: Season 2 and then having to wait for episode 5 with no release date was :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The first episode was a lot of fun!

Don't reload the checkpoint to look for other pieces of loot when you get to the place with lots of items on the ground. You end up back before a bunch of unskippable scenes, and you can only ever pick up the white item. Just a friendly piece of advice, totally not based on personal experience.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just wish they were more transparent about the timing of the episodes.

Finishing episodes 1-4 of The Walking Dead: Season 2 and then having to wait for episode 5 with no release date was :(

It's rough, but I don't think there's a happy middle. The games aren't done with episode one, and it's hard to tell when a project like that should be finished I think. I'd hate to see them rush out unfinished to meet a deadline or just blow past it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Man episode 1 was great. All the characters are great, the music is great, the little details are great:

I need MORE

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Really surprised by how good the episode was. Slightly disappointed at the start because it seemed like the animation was worse than earlier Telltale games, but once the game got going I soon forgot about it.

Also, the game missed a great chance to mess with the player - when it switched to Fiona's arc and she talked about Rhys' eye being able to scan the Vault Key, I thought maybe I missed a chance to scan it while playing as Rhys. Would have been a nice little divergent path - either you scan it and you as Fiona has to use the EMP, or you don't scan it and something else happens happens that breaks the key instead.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sooo...if I've enjoyed Walking Dead season 1 and 2, and loved Wolf Among Us, will I like this? I liked Walking Dead because it really had nothing to do with its source material, and I liked Wolf because I enjoyed Fables (to a point).

Borderlands, as a setting, doesn't strike me as terribly interesting. I liked 2's story well enough (BL1 had a story?), but the Pre-sequel made me stop playing almost immediately.

I guess what I'm asking is: As a Telltale game does it offer anything new or deviations from their formula? As a Borderlands game, will the writing make me want to gouge my ears out?

I do like playing Telltale games as they come out, rather than in one lump sum at the end.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Sooo...if I've enjoyed Walking Dead season 1 and 2, and loved Wolf Among Us, will I like this? I liked Walking Dead because it really had nothing to do with its source material, and I liked Wolf because I enjoyed Fables (to a point).

I guess what I'm asking is: As a Telltale game does it offer anything new or deviations from their formula? As a Borderlands game, will the writing make me want to gouge my ears out?

Yes, you'll probably like it. It has Telltale level writing, not Borderlands style writing. There's still jokes, and they're still funny, but they're not the main focus. There's no memes that I noticed. The voice acting is great, and I like all the characters. I dunno about deviations from Telltale's formula (only played TWD season 1) but there's a motorcycle chariot race. I dunno what more you could want, really.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The writing is much better than in any other Borderlands game.

edit:

Kerrrrrrr posted:

There's no memes that I noticed.

Well, the dubstep theme is definitely a meme. But don't remember any other references.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 26, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ymgve posted:

Well, the dubstep theme is definitely a meme.

Man hate all you want but that poo poo cracked me up when I heard it. :colbert:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Sooo...if I've enjoyed Walking Dead season 1 and 2, and loved Wolf Among Us, will I like this?

As someone who never played nor really cared for the Borderland games and was disappointed with TWD season 2 and slightly less so with TWFAU...

Buy this. Its loving awesome. Its funny, its stylish, the characters are lovable dicks, and it was just a blast to play through. Even for an episode its probably the longest I've played from any Telltales series (I started to think at one point that I was actually playing a complete game) and I am definitely looking forward to the next one.

Pretty much most of my doubts about Telltales in regards to this and the upcoming Game of Thrones series have been eased.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just finished the first episode up, that was a LOT funnier than I'd imagined it would be. Telltale has always had good humor in it but I was not expecting them to manage the sheer density of jokes that Borderlands normally has but they pulled it off.

I was definitely worried about how action heavy the game would be since it's based off of Borderlands and while there is plenty of action it's nice to see that most of it's done by other people/things. I do definitely have to say that it does have a lot more action than TWD or even The Wolf Among Us. It still boils down to TellTales usual mash the button/dodge/ line up the cursor deal although it mixes up how that formula's presented a whole lot more. Overall I liked it and I laughed quite a bit.

I've also gotta say I honestly wasn't expecting the ending. They distorted Jack's voice more than enough for me to not be able to recognize it. I have to ask though, I never played past the second Borderlands 2 DLC though I have a few half remembered bits of plot from the ones I didn't play. Was the professor they stole the ID from trying to clone Jack or just store his memories/personality?

ymgve posted:

The writing is much better than in any other Borderlands game.
edit:
Well, the dubstep theme is definitely a meme. But don't remember any other references.
They have plenty of references to phrases from the games that ended up becoming memes in their own right and there was a YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG meme reference that got me chuckling simply because it was out of loving nowhere.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Just finished the episode and I really enjoyed it. It was funny (especially the bandit guard that talks to Fiona and Vaughn), the characters were likable and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I've also gotta say I honestly wasn't expecting the ending. They distorted Jack's voice more than enough for me to not be able to recognize it. I have to ask though, I never played past the second Borderlands 2 DLC though I have a few half remembered bits of plot from the ones I didn't play. Was the professor they stole the ID from trying to clone Jack or just store his memories/personality?

Nakayama was trying to clone Jack in the Hammerlock DLC in BL2 (he failed miserably). He was also in the Pre-sequel where it was shown that he had a completely unhealthy romantic obsession with Jack (which also failed miserably).

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Nakayama was trying to clone Jack in the Hammerlock DLC in BL2 (he failed miserably). He was also in the Pre-sequel where it was shown that he had a completely unhealthy romantic obsession with Jack (which also failed miserably).
See and from what little I remembered hearing about the Hammerlock DLC I was kind of hoping Nakayama would be the villain ingrained in Rhys' head and make what was (I assume) an incompetent fuckup more formidable. Can't complain that Jack is Back though, he was pretty much one of the best parts of BL2, at least in my opinion.

Also is the Pre-sequel any good? I enjoy Borderlands' gameplay a fair bit but that struck me as such a cash-in that I had no intention of buying it unless it got waaaay marked down during the holiday steam sales.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Also is the Pre-sequel any good? I enjoy Borderlands' gameplay a fair bit but that struck me as such a cash-in that I had no intention of buying it unless it got waaaay marked down during the holiday steam sales.

It's decent, just not as good as BL2 and most people will agree that it's not worth full price. It has its moments though, and I liked it just fine.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
For some reason I really got a laugh out of when you skip the credits you get:

Telltale Games will remember that.

All in all its a pretty standard Telltale Game that I enjoy with great humor, plus the "main theme" is super swanky and cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MsP-87pACY

JuHoZ fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 26, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JuHoZ posted:

For some reason I really got a laugh out of when you skip the credits you get:

Telltale Games will remember that.

I just finished and that part really made me smile. They've really gotten into dicking with you on the "X will remember text." It was amped up through TWD2 and TWAU, but the credit bit was gold.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Wow, only 6% of players let Felix blow himself up? What happens if you take the other option?

Really enjoyed the episode. I didn't feel like my lack of knowledge about the setting held me back at all, although I had no idea that was supposed to be Handsome Jack at the end. Might have to read up a bit more on the storyline before the next episode. Were any of the other characters returning from the series? The only one I thought might be was Zero..

I found it pretty amusing that the two main characters are voiced by Female Boss 1 & Male Boss 1 from Saint's Row 3 and 4, especially since they're playing 'puckish rogues' here too. I was trying to place Vaughn's voice the entire time too and I was not expecting Chris Hardwick.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

This is fun times. Borderlands' writing was always in and out, but TftB filters the creators' ideas through a competent writing team to make a Borderlands story that irons out a lot of wrinkles.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

Wow, only 6% of players let Felix blow himself up? What happens if you take the other option?

Really enjoyed the episode. I didn't feel like my lack of knowledge about the setting held me back at all, although I had no idea that was supposed to be Handsome Jack at the end. Might have to read up a bit more on the storyline before the next episode. Were any of the other characters returning from the series? The only one I thought might be was Zero..

I made the same choice as you did. Screw that guy! As far as returning characters: Shade and all his menagerie (Bewm, Nakayama, Steele) are from previous games/dlc, as are Tector Hodunk (the bouncer) and Moxxi (who is on the phone with Zer0 at the end). I think everyone else is new as far as I can remember.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

I found it pretty amusing that the two main characters are voiced by Female Boss 1 & Male Boss 1 from Saint's Row 3 and 4, especially since they're playing 'puckish rogues' here too. I was trying to place Vaughn's voice the entire time too and I was not expecting Chris Hardwick.

It makes sense when you think about it, Pandora would fit right into the Saint's Row universe.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Oh man the dialogue with the guard.

After season 2 of TWD was kinda mediocre I wasn't expecting a lot from this even as a fan of Borderlands but I'm happy to be wrong. Chapter one was friggin' hilarious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was really great. I'm a fan of Telltale's games, but I never much cared for Borderlands - not the style, not the gameplay, nothing about it really. But somehow I found this really fun and engaging. Maybe the humor and setting just work better when they're the focus instead of a distracting backdrop to a dull gun collectathon. It also felt longer than some of Telltale's recent entries I think it took me a proper 2.5 hours, which is good.

I'm going to jimmy open Rhys's husk and jam a soul in there or die get him killed trying. Choices like being friends with Vaughn and trusting Sasha were a fun way to develop his character a little from the slick corporate yuppie archetype. Also he seems to like Sasha, at least if you go so far as trusting her - I wouldn't have mentioned it, but in his exaggerated retelling of killing August she also fawns over him, so maybe that's a thing. Also couldn't let Felix die by that bomb, Fiona's still got a heart.

Looking forward to the next episode. It's a refreshing spin on the Telltale formula, alongside The Wolf Among Us's noire-fairytale crossover.

And apparently this ghoulish ghost-man is very important, and also dead? Handsome Jack, the former CEO? And his cyber-ghost is in Rhys's head? That's gonna be fun.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 26, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah if nothing else I like the change up from the depressing grimdark stuff TWD and TWAU had. Until Game of Thrones, anyway.

Hannibal Smith posted:

The option I took involved whether or not you saved your bullet.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Dolash posted:

I'm going to jimmy open Rhys's husk and jam a soul in there or die get him killed trying. Choices like being friends with Vaughan and trusting Sasha were a fun way to develop his character a little from the slick corporate yuppie archetype. Also he seems to like Sasha, at least if you go so far as trusting her - I wouldn't have mentioned it, but in his exaggerated retelling of killing August she also fawns over him, so maybe that's a thing. Also couldn't let Felix die by that bomb, Fiona's still got a heart.
I can never be a totally nice guy in Telltale's games. The stories always seems to work better for me when I start off as something of a jerk and then slowly soften up over the course of the season. Rhys and Sasha definitely didn't like each other that way in my playthrough. They didn't hate each other, but I didn't pick up anything like that.

Roman Reigns posted:

The option I took involved whether or not you saved your bullet.
Ah, I'm guessing that's not just a binary choice, which is why my percentage was so low. To clarify I had the option to shoot him and didn't do that, but I didn't warn him when he went to open the case.

I'm just wondering if he's able to survive or if he's killed another way if you warn him about the bomb.

I know it's a Telltale game and won't make a huge difference, but I'm still curious.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

As far as the bullet is concerned, I was tempted to hang on to it in case there's a payoff in the final episode. Then again, it's a Borderlands game. It felt wrong to not waste it the first chance you get. It'd be like playing a nice and level-headed corporate guy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I knew it was likely Felix was going to blow himself up anyway and that I'd be wasting the bullet...but goddamn when he started acting all smug about it I couldn't resist. Its probably going to bite me in the rear end in another episode, but I'm going to stick by it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

And apparently this ghoulish ghost-man is very important, and also dead? Handsome Jack, the former CEO? And his cyber-ghost is in Rhys's head? That's gonna be fun.
From what you wrote I'm assuming you never played BL2, or at least very much of it but yes Handsome Jack was the former CEO of Hyperion (and the main villain) before being killed at the end of the game. He was also a hilariously massive rear end in a top hat with some funny lines and a great VA so I'm really looking forward to him loving around inside of Rhys' head. That is kind of my one criticism so far. They said you wouldn't need to have played any of the other games to understand what's going on but knowing who Jack is is kind of important to getting why that's an "Oh poo poo" moment.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
They give enough info to figure it out though, the introduction talks about how everyone at Hyperion wants to become the new Handsome Jack after he died, and the description of the doctor says he is obsessed with cloning Handsome Jack.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yeah but it kind of fails to show how big of an rear end in a top hat he was to...well, everyone. And the sort of things he was willing to do to get more power. Though, it's still only ep. 1. Plenty of time for people to get acquainted with him left.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

If you want the full backstory on Handsome Jack: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Handsome_Jack

Or just listen to this video for a bit and you'll get the great experience of listening to him ramble and gloat at you throughout BL2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIA4yduPwDM

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, really I got enough context from Rhys's introduction where he stands in front of a massive portrait of Handsome Jack and strikes the same pose as him. Telltale's a big fan of themes and character arcs, letting the player pick which way they're going to lean, and it's pretty clear Handsome Jack represents the grasping corporate rear end in a top hat route as the "devil on your shoulder". Not that Rhys stops being slick or Fiona stops being sharp and sassy just because you can give them a little heart, mind you. The choices weren't quite so hard and grueling as in the Walking Dead, which fits the setting better.

Oh, also wanted to mention that on an animation front the fight scenes looked a lot better than some of Telltale's earlier stuff. I don't know if that's Borderlands' influence but the whole finale was a fun and exciting action setpiece. It really felt like you were a bunch of out-of-place goofballs scurrying around your typical FPS hero's level while he takes out the trash.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 26, 2014

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns

Roman Reigns posted:

I knew it was likely Felix was going to blow himself up anyway and that I'd be wasting the bullet...but goddamn when he started acting all smug about it I couldn't resist. Its probably going to bite me in the rear end in another episode, but I'm going to stick by it.

I did the same. It was extremely satisfying.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

It really felt like you were a bunch of out-of-place goofballs scurrying around your typical FPS hero's level while he takes out the trash.
That was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for from these games as well. One of the things I kind of got tired of in BL was that basically everyone you follow is a mass murderer which is fine for an FPS but it always made me wonder what life was like for all the more mundane people. Now we know! They try desperately to stay out of the heroes' way while they murder loving everything.

I kind of hope Brick or Salvador shows up at some point and you end up having to dodge just as much indiscriminate gunfire from them as you do from bandits/Hyperion.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

If anyone here IS interested in picking up Borderlands 2, the GOTY edition is currently $13 on Steam which is a drat steal. Comes with all the good DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Borderlands 2's DLC is definitely amazing, and at 13$ for the total package that is a steal.

Just don't play your first character as Krieg. You'll spoil yourself rotten.

• Locked thread