Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was really great. I'm a fan of Telltale's games, but I never much cared for Borderlands - not the style, not the gameplay, nothing about it really. But somehow I found this really fun and engaging. Maybe the humor and setting just work better when they're the focus instead of a distracting backdrop to a dull gun collectathon. It also felt longer than some of Telltale's recent entries I think it took me a proper 2.5 hours, which is good.

I'm going to jimmy open Rhys's husk and jam a soul in there or die get him killed trying. Choices like being friends with Vaughn and trusting Sasha were a fun way to develop his character a little from the slick corporate yuppie archetype. Also he seems to like Sasha, at least if you go so far as trusting her - I wouldn't have mentioned it, but in his exaggerated retelling of killing August she also fawns over him, so maybe that's a thing. Also couldn't let Felix die by that bomb, Fiona's still got a heart.

Looking forward to the next episode. It's a refreshing spin on the Telltale formula, alongside The Wolf Among Us's noire-fairytale crossover.

And apparently this ghoulish ghost-man is very important, and also dead? Handsome Jack, the former CEO? And his cyber-ghost is in Rhys's head? That's gonna be fun.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, really I got enough context from Rhys's introduction where he stands in front of a massive portrait of Handsome Jack and strikes the same pose as him. Telltale's a big fan of themes and character arcs, letting the player pick which way they're going to lean, and it's pretty clear Handsome Jack represents the grasping corporate rear end in a top hat route as the "devil on your shoulder". Not that Rhys stops being slick or Fiona stops being sharp and sassy just because you can give them a little heart, mind you. The choices weren't quite so hard and grueling as in the Walking Dead, which fits the setting better.

Oh, also wanted to mention that on an animation front the fight scenes looked a lot better than some of Telltale's earlier stuff. I don't know if that's Borderlands' influence but the whole finale was a fun and exciting action setpiece. It really felt like you were a bunch of out-of-place goofballs scurrying around your typical FPS hero's level while he takes out the trash.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 26, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ryuujin posted:

I didn't take the shot at August, and someone said something about August dying in one choice they made so that sounds like more major branching in future episodes based off choices made.

This was my first Tell Tale Game so I am not sure how major the branches in the story can get based off decisions made.

I took the shot at August and he didn't die, so if he can be killed I don't know how.

As for branches, Telltale's a bit controversial since traditionally their divergent paths don't diverge too wildly and tend to fold back into the main trunk over time. If saving someone is determinant, usually it's either near the end of the season, they die/leave anyway in an episode or two's time, or they're not very important/around very often so it's easy to write around.

It depends on your attitude toward what choice means, I guess, and the fact that Borderlands has a pretty light attitude and the choices aren't these Grueling Hard Decisions probably means people won't be as invested in harsh consequences. It's better to see the choices as a matter of character and style than major plot forks. I had Fiona warn Felix, for example, because I thought she wasn't ruthless enough to screw him over even after what he'd pulled, but I don't expect he'll show up much more or do much else. It's more about how the decision reflects on Fiona than what Felix will do.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah he's fine. Those descriptions are general to the question, not the answer, and the two outcomes were evacuate or self-destruct (in peace or in pieces). Although I think if you order Loader Bot to self destruct he still puts himself together again and appears at the end, he just hates Rhys now instead of calling him "Righteous Father!"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We'll never know, since nobody's sick and twisted enough to ask heroic Loader Bot to blow himself up. No, don't show me the stats, I just know.

As for Rhys, I hadn't thought about it but I suppose one reason for the fashion change might be because he's rigged up with a hell of a lot of cybernetics, probably from Hyperion, which are also infected with Jack. It'll probably come back to bite him eventually, like Vasquez tracking him through his implants or disabling his arm and eye and he'll need to find some replacements. Dropping the Hyperion look in general would be smart while they're stranded on Pandora, the episode select screen shows him wearing it in episode 2 and 5 but I have to wonder if he won't change out of it at some point to avoid being spotted.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there any news on whether this game's been a success for Telltale or not? The reviews and discussion of it I've seen have been universally positive, but I don't see that much chatter online. Are people being turned off by it being a Borderlands game, while the Borderlands audience doesn't have a general appetite for adventure games?

Also I'm hoping the context of the framing device scene can change based on your choices, like the person in the suit turning out to be different people depending on what you did in the past or Fiona and Rhys actually faking their antagonism if you choose to make some plan to fool someone in order to achieve... something. Or at least let there be several possible reasons for them being mad at each other.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How sensitive is Borderlands as a series to what's canon or not? If there's divergence, will they just pick certain choices as canon or will it be important to make sure everything more or less shakes out the same way (like killing off Shade later if he survived episode 1)?

I guess we don't know yet if Rhys and Fiona survive the season, but it's an interesting question considering how some other Telltale protagonists have been handled.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Next episode's supposed to come out Tuesday and I'm pumped. I only regret how much work I'll have to slog through first before I can play.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I definitely saw Jan 27th as a release date for "Atlas Mugged" bandied about on game blogs, but maybe they were just speculating... If it's not coming out Tuesday then I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I hadn't even considered the possibility that you could save the bullet all the way up to the framing device and then use it to pop your captor in the last episode, that'd be an incredible payoff. Better yet if you save it that long and it turns out to be a dud because... I don't know, it got wet or something.

As for release date, I already jumped the gun when blogs were throwing around last Tuesday as a release date for episode 2, so I'd be wary of anything you see until Telltale make a proper, unequivocal announcement. The new Game of Thrones episode is coming out this Tuesday, so I suppose the Tuesday after that is as reasonable a guess as any.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Today's the day, time for another rousing rendition of "Argh, just put the new episode up for download already!"

Edit Edit Edit - Theeeeere we go!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 17, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CLLLLLLIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFF HANGAR! Damnit. And Fiona, blowing yourself up with a grenade isn't a plan! Especially when you don't know what the grenade does!

I'm really enjoying all the opportunities to make the main four characters friends and get them working together. Vaughan and Rhys's bro-down, getting bailed out as Fiona and calling them friends, telling Vasquez it's your friends who got you that far, all the little things. It didn't take as long as I thought, really, so I'm expecting whatever gets Rhys and Fiona at each other's throat will be something big, probably to do with Jack.

Good episode all around, I thought, and clocked in at two hours for me. Leaves me on the edge of my seat for the next one, which will hopefully be out in less than 4 months but I won't hold my breath.

Is anyone playing Fiona or Rhys as jerks? How's that going?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Prior to the Walking Dead, Telltale actually had quite a history of comedy games. It's really just the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones that buck that trend, while Borderlands is a return to form.

I actually quite like the mix of comedy and drama in this series so far. Put me in the camp that wasn't interested in the Borderlands game but are now enjoying Telltale's take on the wacky Space Mad Max. As silly as most of the game is "bro Bro bRO BROOOO" it's got a little edge and a little heart too. It's easy to get invested in the main characters' issues of friendship, family and trust, and the plot involving Athena, Atlas, the Gortys project and the devil Holo-Jack sitting on your shoulder is running pretty smoothly so far.

I'm also curious about the mystery surrounding Felix. It's starting to look like he didn't just steal the money out of greed, there might have been some kind of unfinished business he had to take care of. Glad I didn't kill him now so I can find out the full story. I bet the woman in that picture with Felix is the one who tore the picture at the end of the episode, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's August's boss too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

AirRaid posted:

Wouldn't be surprised? August flat out says her name (Vallory) in one of his conversations with Fiona.

Exact same thing happened to me :( I wanted to tell him he was awesome cos he totally Stuck up for me while getting the crap kicked out of him

We know that Vallory is August's boss and she's part of the reason Felix did what he did, but we don't know if she's the woman we saw a glimpse of at the end of the episode or the one that appeared in the picture with a young Felix. That's just a hunch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Heart of gold's the way to go. Bro-downs and sincere admissions of friendship for everyone!

SoggyGravy posted:

Also did anyone notice that Rhys' eye colors are different in the flashbacks, he loses the blue-echo eye shine thing I'm thinking it has to do with Handsome Jack getting out etc... anyone have any definitive thoughts here?

Apparently if you go with Jack in the ending choice, Rhys's eye turns the same shade of orange as it is in the future. Which could mean that in the future, Jack has actually taken complete control, or has blended with Rhys, or maybe that's the color the eye turns when it's deactivated and in the future Rhys has switched those cybernetics off.

Nothing definitive, I guess, but there's options.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mokinokaro posted:

It also could mean Jack transferred himself into the bunker systems and is no long in Rhys at all

Unless he gets stuffed back into Rhys by the end of the Old Haven sequence I doubt they'd do anything to split Jack and Rhys up this early, especially not if it's determinant. Although you're right that the orange eye might signify when Jack has vacated the premises by the time Rhys and Fiona are captured, it could be a sign that those particular cybernetics are inactive.

I'd like to say that it's taking a little too long for Rhys and Vaughan to put together that Jack is an AI that was on Nakitomi's ID drive, probably as part of some plan to bring him back to life. If you tell Vaughan about it they seem to treat him as a ghost.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That song would work great for the opening of episode 3. Assuming it's a mess of crazy Atlas base security going haywire and shooting up the place/August's mooks. I'm pretty excited to see how the cliffhanger resolves, the situation is primed for being absolutely hosed. I'll be a little surprised if Vaughan and Sasha both make it out alive, since they're definitely the most expendable of the supporting cast at the moment.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

InequalityGodzilla posted:

You don't get to see Janey Springs at all (:() and the Girls' interactions with Athena are a lot less civil. Namely, she's about to nab them when loader bot flies in, grabs her, and literally throws her across town. The boys don't actually show up at all, it just cuts to them approaching Old Haven in the caravan

No, they do. After Loaderbot whips Athena across town Rhys and Vaughan are back at the garage and you can tell Scooter they're your friends, which gets a nice reaction if you're trying to get the four main characters to get along.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Any day week now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

New episode tomorrow! Finally.

Think I'll replay Episode 2 tonight to remind myself of what's going on. I'm really looking forward to finding out how the current cliffhanger resolves itself, because as is the two choices seem really different. If I had to guess, I'd say there'll be two different opening sequences that are fairly similar, except in one the base security is on your side and taking out August's goons while you run, and in the other they're haywire and trying to take out everyone while you also run.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well that was fun! For some reason it felt a tiny bit less polished in places, but the story's going interesting places and all the characters shine bright.

First thing's first, I think Athena's out of the story. I looked up some Borderlands stuff and the framing device for the Pre-Sequel is Brick and Mordecai dragging Athena to Lilith to answer her questions about Jack. I think this must've been how that happened. That aside, though, her mentoring Fiona for a while was pretty neat, giving her lessons on how to be a Vault Hunter - it's enough to make me wonder if Fiona'll join the cast of Vault Hunters in the main-line games, she was holding her own with the other named characters by the end of it.

Now, when I said the polish was a bit off, partly I'm talking about the animation in some of the fight scenes. In particular, the opening scene with the Atlas robots and the bandits was a bit jerky. Maybe the version where Jack takes over the security looks a little better. Some things also felt a little off, like how little Vaughan was in the episode. Also, is Vaughan dead? Seems like they were implying Vallory killed him.

The Sasha and Rhys stuff was cute, I thought, although I was a little surprised to see only 30% of players went for it. Maybe it was how it was presented, it was kind of awkward, and not just literally awkward like Rhys stammering with the flower but awkward in the story like they weren't sure how to write it. A little more comedy might've helped smooth their scenes walking to the tower, even the punchline where Sasha lets go of Rhys and falls all of two feet didn't feel like enough to balance out the rest of the scene. Still, they're pretty fun together, and it's kind of neat to see the vibes from the first episode following through.

Gortys is a lot of fun. I never guessed it'd be a robot, much less a fun, naive ball of friendliness. The upgrade was a bit weird but they make for a good plot motivator, although I guess they don't need any more parts since she/it figured out the Vault is actually on the moon?

Glad that Vasquez is dead, although his death didn't seem to get enough fanfare for how much of a pain in the rear end he'd been. Jack also felt a little underutilized, although that might be because I kept telling him to screw off. I guess if you're going back to Helios next episode that'll be his time to shine, but yeah, some of the plot threads like what Felix was up to/is up to now weren't followed up on as much this time through. Probably just mid-season hang-time.

It'll probably be a few more months until the next episode, but I enjoyed this one and looking forward to seeing where the rest of the season goes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roman Reigns posted:

This is so much more fun than GoT. I genuinely give a poo poo about these characters.

Have to say I'm disappointed with the way Vasquez went. It kind of felt like his comeuppance should have come from Rhys. Maybe they couldn't afford to keep Patrick Warburton.

It was worth it for Gortys's plucky efforts to wake the silly sleepy man. We might see some more blowback about Vasquez's death once we get to Helios, he was the big thing standing in the way of Rhys and Vaughn's return and their old jobs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They don't really sound anything like any of the characters we've met so far, so either it's someone we know who's doing an excellent job of acting or it's a new character. Or someone from the main games I wouldn't recognize, I guess.

Also, how did some people get Vaughn to not be paralyzed? He got hit by an electro-dart while we were escaping and spent the game until we met the scientist frozen, but I've seen screenshots where he's moving around and I'd hate to have missed out on some good interactions considering he might be gone for good. Was it because I didn't let Jack take over the security system?

Speaking of Jack, there's quite the difference between making friends and blocking him out - apparently he takes over your Echo Eye and turns up in the background making fun of people if you trusted him? I almost forgot about him completely in my run, he showed up about twice in the whole episode. It's kind of making the whole "Devil on your shoulder" thing a little too easy, so hopefully even if you're trying to ignore him he'll have some more presence on Helios.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Rhys's character arc, where there's Jack and all the success, money and power he idolizes on one side and his friends and life outside of being a grasping corporate stooge on the other. In fact the only issue I've had with it so far is it's almost a little too good at letting you cut Jack out if you want. I guess maybe if you've been an rear end up till now then stuff like the road trip and the down-time at the pretty dome are meant to belatedly build some rapport and friendship in the group, so maybe the conflict works better if you've given into temptation a few times like trusting Jack to get you out of the base, because otherwise Rhys doesn't seem all that conflicted. I'm curious if the extra scenes you get with Vaughn for trusting Jack are meant to try and draw you back toward the friend side of the equation?

Fiona's direction as a character is still a little vague. You've got Sasha to look after (I can't wait to see her reaction to Rhys's flirting), Athena and by extension Felix was trying to train you for vault hunting, adventure, taking charge and being independent. She has some tension in her character surrounding revenge, like reacting to Felix's betrayal or when Athena tries to murder the scientist. I want to say her story's about whether she's hardening to the unfairness of the world or whether she's still a con with a heart of gold. Which is bad news for Sasha, since the ultimate test of that character would be how she reacts to losing her sister, something they teased this episode with what Athena said.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ryuujin posted:

So after finishing Episode 3 I felt like going back through the game on a new playthrough going all gung ho Jack! Picking the other option at the end of 2. But while doing so I found something new in Episode 1, or at least something I didn't know was possible. After meeting Shade for the second time when Fiona is in the ducts trying to set the EMP I took too much time trying to listen to the conversation and didn't manage to place the EMP in time, and Felix just told Sasha to keep going and hope Rhys doesn't scan the key. Rhys does actually scan the key, recognizes it is fake, and then as August looks on in confusion drops it, then the usual bandit invasion happens. The story then continues as normal. I had kind of expected that it would either wait for you, or that it would be a failure condition. But nope it continued on anyways.

That's actually really cool!

Also, Jack doesn't possess you if you trusted Fiona over him. I went and looked up what happens if you do, and holy crap there's actually quite a lot of little differences. I watched a pro-Jack run on youtube and not only were scenes significantly changed, the tone of different character relationships and interactions were changed too. It made me very happy to be playing friendly Rhys.

Honestly, Telltale games usually get a lot of flack for lacking choice or for the choices not mattering as much as they appeared to, but for some reason Tales from the Borderlands doesn't feel like it has that problem. I think a large part of that has to do with tone, since the more dramatic games try to build up these ~tough decisions~ which set high expectations, since if the decision doesn't end up having enough impact then it wasn't as important as it seemed. Comedy adventures like this work better since choices that focus on character over results can feel meaningful just by being funny, so that when there's unexpected real differences that come out of your decisions they feel like a bonus.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder if anything from Tales will affect the rest of the Borderlands series? Say, if they make a Borderlands 3? Fiona getting training in Vault hunting from Athena could be a setup to her being a character (maybe a DLC one), not to mention if they actually make it to the Vault of the Traveler vaults are extremely important to the story (so far as I can tell). Could be some big important alien in there or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I haven't played Borderlands proper but can't that just go under tutorializing the player like a character saying "Press X to reload!"? The thin paint of in-game justification doesn't have to be taken seriously.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's out on Steam, and my complete lack of self-control has me playing it right now.

And here I thought they killed Vasquez because the voice actor was too expensive, but here you are disguised as him with Patrick Warburton providing the voice! And the goddamn astronaut walk, cracked me up. Pretty surprised Sasha's coming though, I assumed Vallory'd hold her hostage to make sure Rhys and Fiona come back - as is she doesn't have any leverage.

Edit - Scooter noooooo!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 18, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't remember but I think that might just mean he's vacated the building. I rejected Hyperion but I did try out accepting just to see what happens, and as soon as the upload finished I'm pretty sure Handsome Jack betrayed Rhys, so I assume people saying Jack made them president sided with Jack previously in order to win him over? Presumably he can find out Angel's dead even if he was cooperative with Rhys until then and maybe go apeshit that way. And what's this about a "new body", does he mean Rhys?

Vaughn survived for me, he gave a static-y transmission near the end but he said the Atlas doctor was critical to him getting out alive - did anyone let Athena kill the doctor, and if so did Vaughn not survive? I guess we might not see him until the epilogue either way so that's an easy enough divergence to make.

As for the masked stranger, I don't expect him to be the Atlas general because that guy lost both his eyes, looked shorter and wasn't woken up properly. I could imagine his identity being determinant, since the suit is very concealing and the voice is modulated, but that's clearly his shotgun in Jack's trophy case so whoever they are they'll need to gain access to it somehow. To be honest, they don't seem to act like many other characters and no one we know besides Felix is all that good at long cons.

A lot to cover in the last episode, although I guess it might not all get addressed if they do a Tales 2 or incorporate it into the next mainline Borderlands game. Some parts like Vallory don't necessarily need much resolving, just ditch her goons and go on the run when you return to Pandora. It's not like resolving plot threads always needs to be a federal issue, I told Sasha and Fiona about Jack in Rhys's head and they got over it reasonably well.

That astronaut walk was seriously amazing. When Fiona's face shot up between Rhys and Sasha I lost it.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 19, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mazerunner posted:

I didn't get a space walk- is that if you don't go with Jack's plan to get in the office? Instead Rhys had to climb up through Jack's trap door murder hole in his office.

I meant the intro scene with the music. Every episode's intro scene has been fantastic, I can't pick a favourite.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm like 99% sure he's just supposed to be some extra. He does some finger-gunning with Rhys in episode 1 and his model is the basis for some other extras (like one of the thugs in the first town Rhys and Vaughn visit).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That plus Scooter hoving into view immediately after, contender for best moment of the episode. Goddamn so good.

We haven't had a chance yet to have Fiona address Rhys and Sasha becoming a thing, but that honestly seems like the right reaction. Still, if they manage to survive and find the vault maybe they've got time to work things out. Although I'm willing to bet if Rhys takes over Hyperion even with the best of intentions that'll be a deal-breaker for Sasha.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You can still have a bit of that two-character thing if they let you control Fiona's reaction to Sasha and Rhys at some point. It's obvious she's catching on and her first reaction looks pretty negative (she didn't react well to August kissing Sasha that one time either) but there might be a chance to wrap that up.

As for Sasha and Rhys as a couple, I like them. Sasha might only come off as too young because she's one of your protagonists' little sister, and they definitely play with the protective big sister angle for Fiona. Rhys isn't especially mature anyway, in most of their interactions Sasha has the upper hand and Rhys just makes a fool of himself. I guess I also might not see her as too young because she's voiced by the same actress who voiced Snow White in The Wolf Among Us.

It's nice for Rhys and Fiona to (potentially) be friends, since I think it better supports them as dual protagonists. There's already a bit of an issue where Rhys can come off as more important and more like the "main character", he was introduced first and he's the one with Handsome Jack in his head. Having the male and female leads hook up is a bit of a cliche and usually leads to the man taking the main role. Besides, their bickering at the end works fine for erstwhile partners, especially since no matter how things go with Sasha and Rhys it'll probably end up being a sticking point for Fiona (Stay away from my sister/you broke my sister's heart/my sister is dead and it's your fault).

Either way though, I think having a relationship is a good idea to inject just a sliver of seriousness and emotion into the game. Much like how Scooter died, they've done a good job of cultivating some investment in their characters despite how comedic and absurd the game is most of the time. It's the kind of world where corporate douches can get vaporized by security while on a tour of someone's office but you can also worry about the outcome of a hostage situation or a relationship argument.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 21, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I bet it'll turn out Jack wants to use Rhys as his new body and will be trying to install new cybernetics into him so he can upload himself. It'd explain why he's dressed nicely and sporting the silver arm in the future, since Jack was preparing to take him over and he had to escape. It'd also fit because Jack is a backstabber supreme and no way would he settle for being number 2 while letting Rhys take the spotlight, and it'd mean Rhys going in the same direction whether or not he accepted Jack's offer at the end of episode 4. I think Jack definitely said something about a new body in one of the endings.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really Pants posted:

I'm sure it's what she would have said, if not for that whole "getting KO'd by rockets to the face and then dragged off for an important date with the Pre-Sequel" thing.

Yeah, I saw it like doing Athena a solid by covering for her.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Word is the final episode's coming out October 20th, same day as the final episode of Life is Strange. Going to be a busy day!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know how I'd feel about that reveal, since it's really the sort of twist that'd only be appreciated by Borderlands fans, and it's not even an especially high-profile part of the series proper (a dlc character, I think?). He also doesn't seem to have the personality for it, reading his wiki entry, since he seems to dislike Jack and only worked for him due to student loans - not really much of an ambitious, mysterious agent type.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jubs posted:

Is there a thread for Minecraft?

I haven't seen one which is a pity because I'd be interested to know the Goon Opinion on it - it's not really something that immediately interests me, but then again if you'd asked me whether I'd prefer a Borderlands or Game of Thrones Telltale game before they came out I wouldn't have said Borderlands, so first impressions can be wrong.

If anyone's played it, an opinion would be welcome.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I have poor impulse control, so I ended up picking it up anyway. It was pretty good, I can agree that it certainly wasn't breakout great but yeah "good enough" to start a series with. It definitely felt more kid-friendly and is basically a perfect fit for my Minecraft-loving younger cousin who's still too young for Telltale's other games.

Hyped for the Borderlands finale this Tuesday. I wonder if they'll consider a second season? I'm guessing probably not, since Gearbox can follow up on any loose ends in their next Borderlands game and the Walking Dead only seemed to get a second season for being their big hit (which ended up falling short of expectations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now that is how you end a season. 6/5, 12/10, loved it. It just felt so content-rich and lots of great payoffs on character bits and dialogue. If you want to make a choice-driven game, you could do worse than keeping a tight focus on an entertaining cast and your interactions with them.

Gortys's friendship Voltron, oh my god yes.

• Locked thread