Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just finished the first episode up, that was a LOT funnier than I'd imagined it would be. Telltale has always had good humor in it but I was not expecting them to manage the sheer density of jokes that Borderlands normally has but they pulled it off.

I was definitely worried about how action heavy the game would be since it's based off of Borderlands and while there is plenty of action it's nice to see that most of it's done by other people/things. I do definitely have to say that it does have a lot more action than TWD or even The Wolf Among Us. It still boils down to TellTales usual mash the button/dodge/ line up the cursor deal although it mixes up how that formula's presented a whole lot more. Overall I liked it and I laughed quite a bit.

I've also gotta say I honestly wasn't expecting the ending. They distorted Jack's voice more than enough for me to not be able to recognize it. I have to ask though, I never played past the second Borderlands 2 DLC though I have a few half remembered bits of plot from the ones I didn't play. Was the professor they stole the ID from trying to clone Jack or just store his memories/personality?

ymgve posted:

The writing is much better than in any other Borderlands game.
edit:
Well, the dubstep theme is definitely a meme. But don't remember any other references.
They have plenty of references to phrases from the games that ended up becoming memes in their own right and there was a YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG meme reference that got me chuckling simply because it was out of loving nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Nakayama was trying to clone Jack in the Hammerlock DLC in BL2 (he failed miserably). He was also in the Pre-sequel where it was shown that he had a completely unhealthy romantic obsession with Jack (which also failed miserably).
See and from what little I remembered hearing about the Hammerlock DLC I was kind of hoping Nakayama would be the villain ingrained in Rhys' head and make what was (I assume) an incompetent fuckup more formidable. Can't complain that Jack is Back though, he was pretty much one of the best parts of BL2, at least in my opinion.

Also is the Pre-sequel any good? I enjoy Borderlands' gameplay a fair bit but that struck me as such a cash-in that I had no intention of buying it unless it got waaaay marked down during the holiday steam sales.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

And apparently this ghoulish ghost-man is very important, and also dead? Handsome Jack, the former CEO? And his cyber-ghost is in Rhys's head? That's gonna be fun.
From what you wrote I'm assuming you never played BL2, or at least very much of it but yes Handsome Jack was the former CEO of Hyperion (and the main villain) before being killed at the end of the game. He was also a hilariously massive rear end in a top hat with some funny lines and a great VA so I'm really looking forward to him loving around inside of Rhys' head. That is kind of my one criticism so far. They said you wouldn't need to have played any of the other games to understand what's going on but knowing who Jack is is kind of important to getting why that's an "Oh poo poo" moment.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yeah but it kind of fails to show how big of an rear end in a top hat he was to...well, everyone. And the sort of things he was willing to do to get more power. Though, it's still only ep. 1. Plenty of time for people to get acquainted with him left.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2014

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

It really felt like you were a bunch of out-of-place goofballs scurrying around your typical FPS hero's level while he takes out the trash.
That was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for from these games as well. One of the things I kind of got tired of in BL was that basically everyone you follow is a mass murderer which is fine for an FPS but it always made me wonder what life was like for all the more mundane people. Now we know! They try desperately to stay out of the heroes' way while they murder loving everything.

I kind of hope Brick or Salvador shows up at some point and you end up having to dodge just as much indiscriminate gunfire from them as you do from bandits/Hyperion.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

jeeves posted:

Just don't play your first character as Krieg. You'll spoil yourself rotten.
How so? Does he have spoiler lines or...?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Four episodes still to go. Fingers crossed!
Five episodes, six vault hunters. Who's gonna be the odd man out?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

croutonZA posted:

Since you're enjoying playing Rhys as an rear end in a top hat, I think you'll like Jack.
I was playing Rhys as loyal to his friends but otherwise absolutely ruthless when it came to his advancement, but I kind of like that idea and I might try it, just to see if Jack responds in a kind of "hey, you're my sort of guy!" way.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

We'll never know, since nobody's sick and twisted enough to ask heroic Loader Bot to blow himself up. No, don't show me the stats, I just know.
When I played it I'm pretty sure it was barely over 1 in 5 people.

Junkfist posted:

I bet you all didn't even take that dying dude's money.
As a Borderlands veteran if course I did. Stealing dead people's poo poo is intrinsic to the Borderlands experience.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I really didn't think it was even possible. But god drat, they managed it.
I always thought shade was funny :shrug:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Shade is hilarious, but god drat have you actually looked at his face? :stare:

I think I figured it out. This is how he looked in BL2:

Bad enough, but in this game they let you see his eyes. His crazy, crazy eyes. :pwn:
He's like if someone smacked Raoul Duke in the face with a frying pan a couple dozen times, how is that not funny?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

He is also really good at keeping bodies from rotting somehow.
No, no, not really. They're just very, very fresh. Shade's crazier than we thought.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kickass, finally! I don't mind long waits so long as they actually give us an idea of when it's coming.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

They finally posted the trailer for Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2GbQbUeLc

:dance:
Aw man. Rakk hive, Athena, and Scooter. I'll admit I'm pretty psyched for this.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Gotta say, for some reason Vaughn just happening to be absolutely ripped was my favorite joke of the entire episode.

Also, very glad I shelled out for Scooter's special package. It's got a uni-skag!

Kaethela posted:

If I didn't catch Steam updating it I would've had no idea it released. Anyway, if you didn't tell Scooter he's awesome then you have no soul. :colbert:
I guess I have no soul then. I thought it'd be funnier to just slam the door.

"Oh uh, alright. Not like thas gonna make me real sad or nuthin':smith:"

Also I dug that they made a reference to the long wait at the start with Marcus saying something like "yeah, yeah, I know it's been a while."

Edit: legitimately kind of sad that Janey Springs didn't show up when Scooter mentioned her, though.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 20, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Double post

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I guess I'll summarize it in more detail in the spoiler block here. I had Rhys and Vaughn go to Old Haven and not stop at Hollow Point, they did their thing and made a building pop out of the ground. Then when I was playing as Fiona again we were in Hollow Point, I got the caravan fixed up by Scooter, and we went to Felix's old cabin and found some neat things and hand grenades. Fiona and Sasha got jumped by some chumps, then Athena started chasing them. When they managed to run away to Scooter's garage, Athena threw her shield at them and it got lodged in a wall. Fiona and Sasha then got into the garage and Janey was already talking to scooter. It turns out Athena and Janey are a couple, which Scooter things is REALLY COOL, and Janey thinks Athena's bounty hunting days are over. On the way out in the caravan, Fiona notices that Athena left her shield outside, and you get the option to take it. Athena can't say anything since it would reveal she's still hunting bounties to Janey, but if you take it it gives you a pop up that says "Athena will REALLY remember that". So now Fiona has Athena's shield in my game.
Okay, it was totally worth replaying that section differently to see that bit. Athena's still a big old awkward dork :3:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

That song would work great for the opening of episode 3. Assuming it's a mess of crazy Atlas base security going haywire and shooting up the place/August's mooks. I'm pretty excited to see how the cliffhanger resolves, the situation is primed for being absolutely hosed. I'll be a little surprised if Vaughan and Sasha both make it out alive, since they're definitely the most expendable of the supporting cast at the moment.
This kind of raises the question of whether or not New-U stations are a thing. In any other series one would assume those were just a gameplay mechanic and wouldn't show up but in Borderlands 1 basically the very first thing you do is give your DNA to the system and BL2 has the "Kill Yourself" quest which also goes to show that no, those aren't just a way to handwave gameplay mechanics, they are actually a thing that everyone knows about. I could absolutely see a mostly comedic game like this killing off a main character and playing it for drama right up until they show up unharmed 10 minutes later because they had to hoof it back over from the closest New-U station. The only real excuse they have for not doing that is if they do something to piss off the entire hyperion corp. enough to get them wiped from the system like Roland was. That or they just never got around to doing it out of laziness which I could also totally see from this game.

Irish Joe posted:

I am honestly shocked more people aren't being dicks to Vaughn. Dude's a creepy midget with a obnoxious voice, and he betrayed you to suit guy.
Oh, you :rolleyes:

strangemusic posted:

And great abs.
He is pretty yolked. I'm a little envious of the definition he's got going there...

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I get the impression the New U stations are mostly a vault hunter thing. Peons and the bandits you normally deal with don't get access.

I mean Wallethead (I honestly can't think of him other than that) was ready to shoot Rhys and Vaughn and he doesn't seem THAT dumb to just let them pop back alive.
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that. Maybe it's something that only people in high risk work do.

By high risk I mean murdering people and taking their stuff.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

You don't get to see Janey Springs at all (:() and the Girls' interactions with Athena are a lot less civil. Namely, she's about to nab them when loader bot flies in, grabs her, and literally throws her across town. The boys don't actually show up at all, it just cuts to them approaching Old Haven in the caravan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The best advice I can give is to play Bl2 (or 1) with a buddy. Preferably in the same room. With access to alcohol. Nothing makes those games more of a blast than making fun of each other dying, or reaching over and smacking them for stealing a gun from a chest you opened.

• Locked thread