Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
lol jk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
but its true

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Graffiti is just as legitimate an art form as video games.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Junk posted:

but its true

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Some of it's actually pretty nice OP

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

satanic splash-back posted:

so garbage then

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
There's been no such thing as art since the jews filled the museums with used tampons and urine

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

nothing gets my adrenaline pumpin like sneakin into a railyard and taggin up some train cars with a something i designed in the 3rd grade

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Junk posted:

but its true

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Stuff White People Like posted:

Keeping up with art is hard; trips to galleries, enormous books, and costly bi-annual magazines are just a few of the many expenses you will incur during the process of attempting to stay current with art. While the challenge and difficult of this proposition would seem to actually attract more white people than dissuade them, the amount of work required to become and remain an expert on art is simply too much for the majority of white people.

Of course there are exceptions such as the people who have invested both their money and their lives into the appreciation of art: people with Art History Degrees. But as you have probably noticed, they have very little value to both you and society. The latter is evidenced by their annual salary while the former is to be determined on a person by person basis.

Currently, the artist who is both cutting edge and easy to keep up with is Banksy, and white people love him. He is anonymous, British, easy to understand, and he works in the medium of graffiti! This last bit is very important since all white people consider graffiti to be art when it looks like something other than a bunch of squiggles. In every other instance, they consider it vandalism.

As with any conversation involving white people and taste you should be forewarned that you are walking into a potential minefield. However, art does not work the same way as Indie Music when it comes to the need to like the obscure.

Here’s how it works: if you say your favorite artist is Vincent Van Gogh, MC Escher or Monet, you will appear as though your taste in art is derived entirely from college posters. This is unacceptable. Conversely, if you list Jeff Koons, Laurie Anderson, Damien Hirst or Basquiat, you’ll look like you are trying too hard but don’t really know what you are talking about. Chances are that white people will assume your art education consists entirely of documentaries, bio pics, and looking up references from Gossip Girl on Wikipedia.

Finally, if you list your favorite artist as a current, bleeding edge visionary who white people have not heard of, they will immediately recognize you as a threat and dislike you. It is also a certainty that they will call you pretentious behind your back.

Needless to say, it’s complicated. But Banksy is just right. He’s just edgy enough to be outside of the mainstream, but popular enough to be available in coffee table book form at Urban Outfitters. Though if you spot this book on the coffee table of a white person it is strongly recommended that you imply they got the book at a Modern Art Museum gift shop and not at an Urban Outfitters. This will make the evening far more enjoyable for everyone concerned.

If you find all of this to simply be too much work and wish to ensure that white people will never speak to you about art again, there is an easy escape. Simply mention your favorite artist is Thomas Kinkade and that you are in negotiations to purchase an original from the store in the mall. This will effectively end any friendship you have with a white person.

TLDR: banksy and white people are both bad and dumb

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

but its true

how is graffiti any different than a dog pissing on a tree to mark its territory? hey nice GYER painted his name on every overpass in massachusetts, who gives a poo poo?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Junk posted:

but its true

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Schnedwob posted:

TLDR: banksy and white people are both bad and dumb

graffiti too

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Tonight you're gonna see some breakin and some rappin and some breakin and some scratchin and some breakin and some graffitti and some breakin and then you're gonna see some more breakin

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Gay Roads posted:

how is graffiti any different than a dog pissing on a tree to mark its territory?

it's exactly the same and why it's cool

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

open container posted:

it's exactly the same and why it's cool

dog pee goes away more easily than a tag, therefore it is better. yes, dog pee is better than graffiti.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

sweet

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtY3EHjltY4

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
theyre wall scrawls, baka gaijin!!!!

open container
Sep 16, 2008

drat op you must feel p stupid right now

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i know someone who did a pretty big mural with stencils and then it got wrecked the next day because some guy didnt like that he used stencils in graffiti or whatever lol owned bitch!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
My neighborhood is strict about appearances and whenever this mysterious "Rain" tags something I am simultaneous horrified and aroused.

In a few days it is painted over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

graffiti makes cement hells look a lot less boring and awful so i'm all for it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

but its true

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Junk posted:

but its true

Well my opinion has just changed. Well argued.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

It's not real graffiti unless it's illegal. Don't bring that weak, sterilized poo poo you did on a state sanctioned wall and call it "graffiti." call it what it is: sucking the establishment's dick.
Art is a struggle and real art spits truth right in the face of authority.

Anyway that's my two cents. Feel free to disagree.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you dont think this is art you are a broken human

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ones a bunch of crap sprayed on a ugly rear end wall making it look even worse.. and the others graffiti :xd:

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Applewhite posted:

It's not real graffiti unless it's illegal. Don't bring that weak, sterilized poo poo you did on a state sanctioned wall and call it "graffiti." call it what it is: sucking the establishment's dick.
Art is a struggle and real art spits truth right in the face of authority.

Anyway that's my two cents. Feel free to disagree.

edit nm i mis-read ur reply

again edit: but what about how most graf is just people writing their name? even if the city council agrees to let some wall get painted on or whatever, it's not like they are gonna have to censor it or anything. and having a place where graifiti is allowed doesn't preclude that same artist from doing his stuff illegal spots too

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gay Roads posted:

how is graffiti any different than a dog pissing on a tree to mark its territory? hey nice GYER painted his name on every overpass in massachusetts, who gives a poo poo?

Me. There are a lot of overpasses in Massachusetts, that would be quite an achievement.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ghaz posted:

edit nm i mis-read ur reply

again edit: but what about how most graf is just people writing their name? even if the city council agrees to let some wall get painted on or whatever, it's not like they are gonna have to censor it or anything. and having a place where graifiti is allowed doesn't preclude that same artist from doing his stuff illegal spots too

What I'm suggesting is that the illegality is a fundamental part of of the identity of "graffiti." If you're painting on a wall you're allowed to paint on, that's not graffiti, it's just a mural.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

smh if u don't think this is art, either ur a troll or a scrub irl

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Applewhite posted:

What I'm suggesting is that the illegality is a fundamental part of of the identity of "graffiti." If you're painting on a wall you're allowed to paint on, that's not graffiti, it's just a mural.

hm unless you consider every surface fair game for public art, regardless of whether you have permission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

numberoneposter posted:

if you dont think this is art you are a broken human

• Locked thread