Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

One side of the mountain
is drenched and verdant, a riot of green—
[...]
the other [...]
arid with elfin thickets of stunted growth
that thirst in sullen expectation.

Squaw Peak Academy, K-12 and College Preparatory School, top school in the state of Arizona since the new millenium, just this year raised their tuition 15% to about $30k. In the middle of a nationwide economic downturn they are renovating much of the campus, cutting crimson ribbons with silver shears and breaking dry dusty ground with gold plated ceremonial shovels. New modern buildings clash with the old, both in form and their human contents. Faculty turnover, you see, has been very high this past year.

But neither of those "growing pains" concerns the administrators, what does is the college counselor's warning passed to him by the top colleges that SPS "lacks a strong commitment to diversity." They've been warned about this before, and the insinuation was that they won't be warned again.

That brings us to today: in a well-air-conditioned room with huge windows the Admission Committee is hard at work filling the last few slots in the freshman class. What kind of applications are they looking at? The rubber stamped single page of "lifer" who's been going here since kindergarten? The child of an athlete recently traded to the Cardinals, or the Suns, or the Diamondbacks? One of those discount paying faculty kids, or a regular talisman of diversity, paid for in merit based scholarships?

The committee isn't going to miss dinner over this, that's for sure. They'll probably just pick the first 5 complete applications they see. Freshman year usually weeds out those who can't keep up in such an elite environment, then transfers from the SPA's parochial and charter school competitors fill in the gaps even in the middle of the school year.

Synirc #castersupremacy if you have any questions about apps or the school itself. The excerpted poem is "Rain Shadow," by Richard Taylor.

IRC/PM Q&A

Q: Is this just an open ended game?
A: Yes, I don't have a whole story planned out. My prep right now is just coming up with some seed events. For instance, the freshman trip to a ropes course to the north, where it's cooler and more rural. All of the equipment is very safe, the campsite secured, cell phone reception nonexistent. No place to plug them in, either.

Q: Where can I get Jackson Tegu's "Second Skins" collection of playbooks? Is SPA considering non-official skins?
A: According to the author, Second Skins is only available to kickstarter funders at the moment. Due to negative reviews in the FATAL & Friends thread, applications of "Skins for the Skinless" and homebrew skins are strongly discouraged. The Selkie is fine.

Q: What about the Hollow?
A: The premise is compelling but the mechanics don't feel right to me, so no.
e; A ghoul with the Hollow background sounds very promising.

Q: What timezone are people in? Is Japan okay?
A: I'm on Mountain Time, myself, but don't mind different zones. I'll try to put characters together whose players are active at the same time so they have a chance to banter, and if anything comes up that players want edited for any reason I'll respond ASAP to PMs, the OOC thread, or notifications in #castersupremacy, no questions asked. Not just triggering or creepy stuff, either; stuff you are interested in as well. Sort of like a PbP version of X-card and O-card

Q: Exactly what kind of school is SPA?
A: It's a secular, private, day school located in the rich part of Phoenix, close to the eponymous mountain. Most of the students are the city's elite and live within walking distance of the campus.

Q: How old are the PCs supposed to be?
A: What matters to me is they're new to the high school, so at minimum they're 14-15 year olds entering freshman year. Anything higher would be non traditional but not out of the question, like a transfer student, someone held back a few years, some kind of ancient supernatural, or maybe even a non student.

Q: Five apps are in! Is it still worth applying?
A: The Early Action students, Lì, and the three C's--Caleb, Cassie, and Christophe--are indeed locked in, but don't let that stop or rush you. Regular applications for the fall trimester will be open until Friday night, the 28th, at 11:59 PM MT. 2 spots will be decided on by me and the early appliers. After that I'll be paying attention to any peanut gallerying in #castersupremacy and open rolling admissions for the Winter or Spring trimesters or in case of dropouts.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Interested.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Lì Harris, the Vampire

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm the diversity pick. I work my rear end off, but of course the moment people see 'Chinese adoptee' and 'two dads' on the form field, that's it, that's everything people need to know. Maybe I'm inspiring, maybe I'm only here because of a quota, but lord knows you'll never need to actually talk to me to decide. I used to have all kinds of friends, but then I realized they didn't really care about me, they wanted to pretend they weren't super whitebread or for me to tell them their racist Asian jokes were super hilarious. So I gave up talking to people for a while. My dads' response was to take me to the doctor and see if I needed medication. It never occurred to them maybe it wasn't a problem with me.

I've only ever had one real friend. Jonas saw through the bullshit. He was 'weird' too, stuck on the outside like I was. Jonas wanted to be friends with me, not the weird projection of everyone's white guilt and homophobia that most people saw. Last summer...something happened between us. The memories are fuzzy, but one day I woke up and he was gone and I was different. Stronger, more clear-headed. Thirsty. Maybe no one else will ever know me like he did, but there's so much I can do now that it's hard to care. People are prey now, and I think I'm going to enjoy the hunt.

quote:

Name: Lì Harris
Look: intense, with hungry eyes
Skin: The Vampire
Origin: newly reborn

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: +3
Cold: +2
Volatile: 0
Dark: -1

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them.
When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that
person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and
make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a
mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you’re
alone with someone, though you take your time. You
escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful
place, by someone more powerful than you.

Moves

[+] Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you.
Roll with hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish
and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the
hypnosis works, but choose one:
  • they realize you hypnotized them;
  • they gently caress up your commands;
  • their sanity is unhinged.

[+] The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever
been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed,
choose two:
  • you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
  • you carry 1 forward,
  • they don’t die.

[+] Marked for the Hunt
When you feed on someone, you establish a close bond
with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their
whereabouts or well-being, roll as if you had Dark 3.

[+] Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up
fully healed.

[+] Make Others Feel Beautiful
When you make others feel beautiful, roll with hot. On a
10 up, choose two:
  • they carry 1 forward;
  • they remove a Condition;
  • they mark experience;
  • you carry 1 forward.
On a 7-9, you can offer them an experience point to do
what you want.

[+] Call People On Their poo poo
When you call people on their poo poo, roll with cold. On a 10
up, choose one:
  • they lose a String against someone else;
  • they freeze up, break down, or bail.
    On a 7-9, choose one, and they give you a Condition.

Strings
Caleb Randolph (1)
Christopher Locke (1)
Marina "Fleming" (1)
Ricard Reyes (2)
Cassie Jacobs (1)
Everyone Else (1)

Advancements
  • Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
  • Take another Vampire move.
  • Take a move from another Skin.
  • Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
  • Gain 2 of the Growing Up moves.
  • Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 18, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You receive an early letter indicating your imminent acceptance, but the acceptance letter itself is late in coming. At least one of your parents expects the worst: that it won't come at all.

Then you get an unexpected message, from Jonas. He has the letter and thinks you should come get it from him at night, and someplace private and familiar to the two of you. What do you do?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

You receive an early letter indicating your imminent acceptance, but the acceptance letter itself is late in coming. At least one of your parents expects the worst: that it won't come at all.

Then you get an unexpected message, from Jonas. He has the letter and thinks you should come get it from him at night, and someplace private and familiar to the two of you. What do you do?

Lì absolutely goes to meet him. He's got no idea why Jonas would have the letter, but even after all his changes, he trusts Jonas implicitly and wants to know why he dropped completely out of contact for the back half of the summer.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The result of a failed attempt by his mother to sustain a dying relationship, Caleb's second-hand, ill-fitting clothing clearly marks him as an "economically underprivileged" admission; he certainly wasn't admitted on the strength of his transcript. As far back as he can remember, he's always felt as if there was something off about himself. Everyone else got it. They got how to do long division, they remembered that there was a test today, they knew what you're supposed to say when one of the other guys makes a funny-not-really joke at your expense. Caleb was always just that one step behind; he stuttered, he tripped, and puberty (when it finally arrived) hit him like a freight train. Others certainly seemed to share Caleb's opinion of himself, and life as the easiest target in middle school was almost boring in its routine cruelty.

Squaw Peak was never a possibility; high school was barely a possibility. It never even occurred to Caleb to apply, and he owes his admission to the last hail mary of a vexed guidance counselor. For once things went Caleb's way, and the arrival of the admission letter was hailed as nothing short of a miracle. Caleb's admission was a chance for a fresh start, a chance to try again in a place where he wouldn't be burdened by his past. Maybe this is where it all starts to make sense, where he becomes the kind of person he's always wanted to be and soothes the aching loneliness he knows more intimately than his own body.

What's the worst that could happen?

quote:

Name: Caleb Randolph
Look: Awkward, with sad eyes
Skin: The Mortal
Origin: Nobody

Stats
Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 0
Dark: 1

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even
wants to. They’d rather you disappear.
Well, you’re not going to disappear.
You’re going to make life a living hell
for them. You’ll betray the wicked
to the judges, the weak to the
executioners. You’ll pit humans and
supernaturals against one another,
until everyone looks like monsters.
Only seeing the pain that you’re
causing your lover will let you escape
your Darkest Self

Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The
first is chosen during your backstory. If
you ever fall in love with someone else
instead, give them a String and they
become your new lover. You always
carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s
heart or fancy.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant
problem with your lover or how they
treat you, mark experience.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in
affairs not meant for your kind,
someone involved in the situation
gains a String on you, and you mark
experience

Androc fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 27, 2014

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

pre:
Christopher Locke, The Infernal

Vicious, piercing eyes
Chosen

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 2

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own
addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative
(and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole 
again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. 
You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even
worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings 
against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Dark Power
The Connoisseur 

Bargains

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner
of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Your Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
Christopher Locke, or Christophe as he prefers to be called, didn't always used to be popular. He didn't always used to be dangerously handsome, physically gifted, or socially respected. Nobody here in SPA knows that, or course. As far as they are concerned he is just one of the new faces who showed up a few years ago and started shaking things up in a big way. They can never know who he used to be.

Roll time back a few years to a little town called Ashwood in the pacific northwest and you will find a very different Christopher. He was that kid. Know the one. Always too skinny, always too smart, always the perfect kid to pick on when you were bored. Or feeling insecure. Or wanted to show off. Or just because you were a prick. Christopher was angry back then. Very angry. He didn't take being picked on well and would scream or cry at the slightest provocation. That's probably why the bullies just kept doing it. He was kid who always wore dark clothes that were full of holes and never fit right. He listened to loud, angry music. The kind about living on the outside of normal and not giving a gently caress. He also spent almost all of his time alone in his room. It worried his parents, but what could they do? He had no friends and refused to do anything extracurricular at school. He just sat up in his room with his music playing at three million decibels and doing God knows what.

What he was doing, exactly, was quite diabolical. You would be amazed what can come of an angry soul and an internet connection. Christopher spent hours every day looking up all manner of incantations and summoning spells to set devils and monsters on the kids that tormented him. They were almost all bullshit, of course. Almost. Much to his surprise, during one of his usual rituals, he got a reply. Something from Beyond made contact with the boy and answered all of his dark prayers. "Yes," it said. "Yes, of course I can make you handsome. Of course I can make you popular. Of course I can make the bullies scared to ever lift a finger to you. You just have to do a couple things for me in return." Christopher was hardly in a position to refuse.

Now, years later in Arizona, Christopher the outcast has become Christophe the tyrant. The user. The pervert. He knows things that he shouldn't know. He is good at everything he tries. He keeps everybody under his thumb. You either seek his favor and hope to come into his circle or stay the hell out of his way, because you certainly don't want to be on his bad side. Christophe always pays back a debt an eye for an eye and blood for blood. Of course there are reasons to want to be close to him other than fear. His friends, or so the sycophants that flock around him call themselves, seem to have their wildest dreams come true. Maybe they are just a lucky crowd, but it certainly isn't natural when a guy sells a brand new Camero to a high school punk for basically pocket change because Christophe said he should. It isn't normal when the hottest girl in school slums it to sleep with a crater-faced band nerd because Christophe had a little chat with her. Maybe it is blackmail. Maybe it is mind control. Maybe Christophe is just a really persuasive guy. Either way, the people around him seem to get what really want. The real question is, what is Christophe getting in return?

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 26, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You bike to the meeting location, a cozy coffee shop in a strip mall. It's the only thing open. Jonas's bike is nowhere you can see.

Besides you and him, no one's inside besides a barista taking the communal pitcher of complimentary water to the back to be refilled. There's no greeting: they expect no order from you. Jonas, though, smiles behind indoor sunglasses and gives you a bro hug with an ice cold hand. He grins apologetically for the federal crime of mail theft, saying he went to your house, no one was there, so he checked the mail to make sure you still lived there. Seeing the fancy envelope, which he surrenders to you (it's been opened), he feared that you'd forget about him after taking off for bigger and better things.

Whenever you ask about where he's been all summer, he coughs and says out of town. When you ask if he's going to the public high school that everyone else in your area is going to, he just coughs. Then his tone shifts to pleading: you're going to be drowning in the blue blood of the city's elite soon enough, won't you share some with him? He invested some of his in you, remember?

Either way, Jonas needs something to tide him over. You could help him gang up on the barista, he offers, or give him some of your own for old time's sake? What do you do?

Christophe
You know you're getting in: everyone who already got into SPA before high school gets their contract renewed, and even if there was any doubt, your application is always perfect since the Connoisseur tells you exactly what the most influential member of the admissions committee wants to see.

They're not the ones who surprise you. Your "friends" parents tell your parents that their kids--the ones indebted to you at SPA--are going somewhere else for high school. One to an all-girl's parochial school. Another to a boarding school. One's even moving their whole family out of state. All of them far away from you. Lynn Cooper and Joe Locke, your parents, deliver the news, concern all over their faces. Familiar concern, but also something new.

Before, when they thought they might have raised a loser they convinced themselves you'd just be a late bloomer. Nature would take its course. Now that you've been criticized by other parents, they are beginning to think they might have raised a bad kid. Suddenly they're smothering you in fumbling parental effort. They want to go back to church, to send you to a shrink. Should they take away your credit card? They're discussing it all, unrehearsed, right in front of you. What do you do?

Caleb
SPA does not have daily bus service contracted out, everyone's parents or nannies pick them up and drop them off. Lifers, of course, walk or bike to school from their nearby mansions until they get their sports cars upon turning age 15. All that's well out of your reach: your mom, Katherine "Kitty" Randolph, works different shifts during the week and can't drive you to school most days. What do you have to do to get there? Take Phoenix's lovely mass transit as far as it will go and walk the rest, showing up an hour early or an hour late? Luck into a carpool that will drive that far south? Hide out nearby at night, sleep on the streets and walk back the next morning? Or something else?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

Caleb
SPA does not have daily bus service contracted out, everyone's parents or nannies pick them up and drop them off. Lifers, of course, walk or bike to school from their nearby mansions until they get their sports cars upon turning age 15. All that's well out of your reach: your mom, Katherine "Kitty" Randolph, works different shifts during the week and can't drive you to school most days. What do you have to do to get there? Take Phoenix's lovely mass transit as far as it will go and walk the rest, showing up an hour early or an hour late? Luck into a carpool that will drive that far south? Hide out nearby at night, sleep on the streets and walk back the next morning? Or something else?

It turns out that one of the older kids who used to pick on Caleb is also going to SPA. It also turns out that he's gotten his driver's license and that his mom and Caleb's mom are friends.

All that old bad stuff was years ago, right? He might have changed. Maybe.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

You bike to the meeting location, a cozy coffee shop in a strip mall. It's the only thing open. Jonas's bike is nowhere you can see.

Besides you and him, no one's inside besides a barista taking the communal pitcher of complimentary water to the back to be refilled. There's no greeting: they expect no order from you. Jonas, though, smiles behind indoor sunglasses and gives you a bro hug with an ice cold hand. He grins apologetically for the federal crime of mail theft, saying he went to your house, no one was there, so he checked the mail to make sure you still lived there. Seeing the fancy envelope, which he surrenders to you (it's been opened), he feared that you'd forget about him after taking off for bigger and better things.

Whenever you ask about where he's been all summer, he coughs and says out of town. When you ask if he's going to the public high school that everyone else in your area is going to, he just coughs. Then his tone shifts to pleading: you're going to be drowning in the blue blood of the city's elite soon enough, won't you share some with him? He invested some of his in you, remember?

Either way, Jonas needs something to tide him over. You could help him gang up on the barista, he offers, or give him some of your own for old time's sake? What do you do?

Lì assured Jonas that he'd never forget about him - they had shared far too much for that. Applying to SPA had been Dad's idea, but with Jonas disappearing on him Lì figured if he was going to be surrounded by lovely people all day, he might as well try for new lovely people. He was still a little unclear on how Jonas had made him this way, but the bite seemed to make people's memories a little hazy around the edges, so he supposed that was to be expected.

He begged off on the barista for now. It was odd, but the act of feeding felt so intimate, the victim so vulnerable, that he didn't feel comfortable doing it to strangers. Old 'friends', acquaintances, enemies especially, but not a complete stranger. He had fed recently, so he offered Jonas a vein. As time went on and Lì's old life became more distant, he was slowly starting to remember that he'd done this before, back when he was alive.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Interested. Might try a Selkie once I come up with a backstory I'm happy with.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Marina "Fleming"

It was the music that drew me in. We have nothing like it you know, just dull boring history chants and funeral dirges. As soon as I heard that music I had to get closer to it to hear more of it. Must've surprised the hell out of the guy whose boat I climbed onto to find a naked young girl covered with no more than a seal skin sat entranced next to his radio.

Alan Fleming is his name a kindly old grandfather type a couple of years from retirement. Works as a professor of music theory for some college somewhere. On vacation with some of the money he'd saved for retirement.He never batted an eyelid just sat there next to me while we both listened to the music. After it I asked him a ton of questions. He was delighted to tell me more and we whiled away the long summer evening talking about it.

The next day we did the same and talked more about the music. But this time there was more, he wanted to know where I came from. So I told him. I remember he muttered something about Horatio and philosophy whatever that means, Then he shocked me he told me had to return to work in some place called Arizona and would I like to come with him to learn more about human music.

I eagerly accepted wanting to learn more about these people and how they produced their strange music. One thing still puzzles me from that first song though, why is standing on someone's strangely coloured foot coverings such an offence?

quote:

Name: Marina "Fleming"
Look: Sleek with far away eyes
Skin: The Selkie
Origin: Enticed from the sea by art

Stats:
Hot: 0
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Darkest Self:
People have mistreated you and made
you an outcast here. It’s time to show
them how it feels to be lost at sea,
to be apart from the things you have
loved, to have parts of your identity
stolen from you. So you will flood
the Earth. You will destroy what they
cherish. And you will take their pelts.
You escape your Darkest Self when this
place reminds you of home, or when
you recognize what you came here for.

Moves:

Outer Skin

When you wear your pelt you look like
a seal. Without it, you can swim like
a human, but with it you can breathe
underwater and swim like the dickens,
and, if you want to, return to The Deep
Kingdom. If you do return there, it’s for
good, so make a new character.

Their Word:

People can steal your pelt, but never
destroy it. When someone withholds
your pelt and demands that you do
something for them before they’ll
give it back, add 1 to rolls you make
in pursuit of that task. If they don’t
return your pelt, take a String on them,
and they'll give you another task.

Catch of the Day

Whenever you don’t understand what’s
going on or what someone means,
and it gets you into trouble or leads
you to make unwise choices, mark
experience.

Body of Water
When you go a day without
submerging yourself in water, take
1 harm. Whenever you submerge
yourself in water and can relax, heal 1
harm and 1 Condition.

Sympathy is My Weapon

Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and
excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Siren Song

When you’re soaking wet, you can sing
a haunting song and roll with cold.

On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you, though a
character that takes harm will stop
suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.

• On a 7-9, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you until they would
face harm or physical danger, and then
they choose:

-press forward and take the harm,

-or stop suddenly and gain the
Condition dazed.

Beyond the Veil

when you open your mind to the sight, gaze into the abyss.
on a 10 find a hidden string on someone. on a
7-9 add the option: the visions are clear but you cannot control the sight or use this move again until you dull your senses.

Your Backstory:

You’ve seen someone swimming,
but they either didn’t see or didn’t
recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, withholding
it from you to make you their errand
boy. They said they'll give it back. Each
gain a String on one another, and they
say the first task they've given you

Filthy Pelt Stealer: Ricard

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 30, 2015

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Christophe

I've gotten pretty good at navigating situations like this over the past few years. Whenever somebody gets in trouble because they got caught doing something they weren't supposed to they always point their fingers at me. Listen, I'm not making anybody do anything bad. They already want what I'm giving them. I just make it possible. Usually it is pretty simple to talk my way out of any involvement. I always cover my back.

Amee, the girl being sent to the priory, wasn't even one of my projects. Her family is super up tight and churchy, so by the time she started sniffing around me she was already acting out. She just wanted to be in my little clique because it was edgy and she knew it would piss off her parents. I just told Lynn and Joe that it wasn't my fault and her parents were overreacting because she wasn't their perfect Christian daughter like they wanted. They won't be happy until she is in a convent anyway.

Tyler was a little different. I did have a little hand in corrupting him, but I never thought it would go so far! He used to be a nice, shy little kid with great grades and all the smart kid clubs you could think of: Chess, debate, student government. Snore. Sooo boring. All I did was take him out for a fun time one night. Had him sneak out after his parents went to sleep and we stayed out until two. How was I supposed to know he was going to miss his first period exam the next day? Alright, so I did know that was going to happen. That's what the Connoisseur wanted so the kid could feel what it was like to get a rush once in his life. After that though he started ditching out of class and staying out late on his own. Sure, he was hanging out with me some of the time, but that's not my fault that he invited me. It's not my job to keep him in line. I just fessed up to my parents about the one time he and I snuck out, but they really can't blame me for the rest of it.

And then there was the last one: Juan-Pablo. His parents have been having all sorts of problems because his dad got his hours cut and his mom has been secretly popping Oxy like skittles. She's also secretly screwing the pharmacist to get the Oxy, but that's just between you and I. Anyway, he has two younger sisters and his parents made him get a job to help with the money problems. He just went along with it, like a dutiful little drone, but I said gently caress that. His dad should quit drinking an 18 pack each night and get a second job and his mom needs to stop pretending the arts and crafts class she teaches is worth a poo poo and do something worth a drat. He shouldn't be picking up the slack for them, so I got a fire under his rear end and had him stand up for himself. He'd always been such a little push over, and growing a backbone is good for him. So he quit his job and started skipping out to hang with Tyler and I. Of course I didn't admit that. I just told Lynn and Joe that JP's parents were having their own lovely problems and projecting it on me because they were too embarrassed to admit they were being bad parents. I'm sure they are just moving to somewhere that JP's dad can actually find work.

Like I said, it is easy to dodge the flak and this isn't the first time I've had to deal with my parents. This is the first time they've talked about me right in front of my face though. Usually it happens behind closed doors, but I hear it anyway. Lynn tries to stick up for me. She still thinks I'm her sad, fragile little boy and that this is just all a big misunderstanding. Joe is a little more down to earth. He knows what's going on and he says it straight out--disappointment, rotten, bad influence. I shouldn't care, but in truth I really do. My life was pretty lovely back in Ashwood, but my parents always at least tried to make it better. They just couldn't and the Connoisseur could. So ya, I'm disappointing my parents, and that feels kinda lovely, but if life had stayed the way it used to be I'm sure I'd be into drugs or gangs or maybe just loving hung myself a long time ago. I was always going to disappoint them somehow, but at least now I not such a pathetic little crying bitch.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quote:

Name: Cassie Jacobs
Look: Unkempt, with savage eyes
Skin: The Werewolf
Origin: Bite

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: -1
Volatile: +2
Dark: 0

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them.
You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed.
You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Moves

[+] Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

[+] Uncontainable
When you attempt to escape any formof physical entrapment, roll with volatile.
On a 10 up, you escape.
On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you want to escape.

[+] Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll.
On a 7-9, ask one:
• Where’s my best escape route or way in?
• Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
• What’s their secret weakness?
• What poses the biggest threat to me?
• Who’s in control here?

[+] Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

[+] Make Others Feel Beautiful
When you make others feel beautiful, roll with hot. On a
10 up, choose two:
• they carry 1 forward;
• they remove a Condition;
• they mark experience;
• you carry 1 forward.
On a 7-9, you can offer them an experience point to do what you want.

[+] Intervene Against an Act of Violence
When you intervene against an act of violence, roll with
volatile. On a 10 up, choose one:
• they take -2 to their roll (NPCs either act at a Disadvantage or fail entirely);
• deal harm to them;
• give them a Condition.
On a 7-9, they choose
• take -2 to their roll (NPCs either act at a Disadvantage or fail entirely);
• target you with the violence instead.

Strings

Cassie Jacobs, daughter of superstar lineman Mike Jacobs, has problems with rules. She's never really been much for other people telling her what to do. Call it bitchy, bossy, assertive, whatever. Most people think she got that attitude from getting anything she wanted from Daddy, and nothing will get you on her poo poo list quicker than saying so. And everyone at her last school knew it. She wasn't quite the queen bee that had other girls at her all girl's school flocking to her, but she was popular enough, if for no other reason than she could lay you out flat if you weren't respectful.

Now, if pushed, she'd admit that she never really needed anything in her life. She's not so far up her own rear end that she doesn't realize how much she lucked out. However, her father made drat sure he didn't spoil her. Anything she wanted, she worked for. New clothes, new jewelry, anything. The one exception was lacrosse equipment. Her father had always supported her in the sports. I mean, it would have been kind of odd if he hadn't, right?

So, in one of her many side jobs to get that new necklace or pair of shoes, she found herself working some crummy summer camp. She'd only come here to make some easy money babysitting munchkins in the woods, but that's where she met Tony. He was a bronzed sculpture given life. His eyes always looked like he was about to laugh, and his She'd never really spent much time with boys before (one of the many downsides to an all girl's school), but she knew that Tony was something special. They'd laughed together, ate lunch together, and even snuck off during the closing campfire together. He invited her back to her cabin. She hesitated for a second, and seeing that hesitation, he grinned and added, "Only if you want to." And since one of the rules of the camp was "No going in the opposite sex's bunks," well, it was practically a dare at that point.

The last thing she clearly remembers is the heated making out, but after that, her next clear memory is waking up in the hospital. The rest is a blur of pleasure and pain.

Her dad threatened the camp with a lawsuit that would ruin it, safety waivers be damned, but the only thing that Cassie could think of was Tony. She spent the next few days in the hospital, recuperating while sick with worry about him. If he was all right. If something had gotten him. If, if, if. She couldn't wait until she was able to leave the hospital and go find him. It was a local camp, so he had to live nearby. Then, the day before she was released, she felt something in her snap. Her heart had broken, and she somehow knew that Tony was with someone else. He hadn't even come to see her.

A few days later, when her dad (desperate to get her out of the depression she seemed to be slipping into) suggested Squaw Peak Academy for high school, she jumped on the idea. A new start is just what she needed. She'd make new friends and forget about Tony. It was the smart, reasonable choice.

...Still, part of her still wanted to see him. She couldn't decide if she'd tear his arms off or just his clothes, and the rest of her didn't want to find out.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 7, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Cassie
In the acceptance letter you find out that the Fall class trip freshman year is to a ropes course and camp site not far from the one you and Tony worked at. Your father Mike wants to know if they're connected in any way, or if you might want to opt out. Maybe you could make some new friends, talk them into doing the same, and you all could go on a better trip of your own! He's clearly caught between a desire to protect you this time, but also giving you whatever you want. A Jacobs family trip with friends wouldn't be easy on him though, since as you know he can't miss practice or a game for it... what's the deal? Is he all talk? What do you do?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Ricard Reyes – The Queen

Basketball is in my blood. My grandfather had a long career with FC Barcelona, my father moved to America because he was drafted by the Suns and I took Squaw Peak all the way 3 years in a row. My father is a bench pure point guard. But that’s redundant. At least he’s paid well. He laughed when the bill for the Squaw Peak came in.

Turns out when you’re the captain of a championship team three years in a row, score 20+ a game and are a constant Double-Double threat, you’re well known. Everyone knows my name around this place. Me and my teammates stroll these halls like the kings we are. We are the “Kings Club”, the “Big Five”, well we were, sadly, my shooting guard moved away because his father was traded to the Knicks and I don’t know who coach will put in. All I know is that High School Teams won’t know what to do against the Kings Club.

Current Members of the Kings Club:
Me (Obviously)
SG (empty)
SF Keith Kaiser
PF Alric Allen
C Brandon Bell

quote:

Look: Stunning with Calculating Eyes.
Origin: The Most Popular Kid in School.
Stats: Hot: 1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 0, Dark: -1

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition, “One of Them“.
While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self:
They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy.
You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example.
You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Moves:
The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around.
They count as a gang. Strengths: They’re talented (sports team)

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you.
(NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 8, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I've been chosen... to kill monsters. That's right, you heard me right.

It was easy to ignore the signs at first. My raven birthmark was just a birthmark. Some people see Jesus burnt into their toast, I see a raven on my ribs. No big deal.

Then there's the stories my grandma told me about how my great-grandmother used to fight monsters at the turn of the century. She says we are descended from an old Tohono O'odham** ** bloodline that's sometimes called to fight monsters on behalf of the Tribe. She's probably just going crazy in her old age, right? Well her stories get a little easier to believe when she tells me where to find a trunk full of her weapons hidden in our basement.

Here's the real kicker. I just saw a vampire. I should have led with this. I was coming home late when I saw a couple going at it hot and heavy in an alley. I go to take a picture to text to my friend, suddenly, he's in my face, his mouth drenched in blood with a pair of fangs. So I punched him till he ran. I guess I know what the stake in the chest is for now.

Here I thought the only thing I'd have to adjust to this year was going to an off-Reservation school and trying to make friends. Now I gotta deal with this too.

quote:

Name: Gabriel
Skin: The Chosen

Look:Outcast, blue eyes

Origin: Marked by the Supernatural

Stats:

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Harm

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self:

None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Moves:

Growing Pains

When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience.

Come Prepared

You have an outlandishly large armory, complete with ancient artifacts. Just in case the need arises.

Backstory:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a string on each.

There's someone who knows that you're the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 27, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

slydingdoor posted:

Cassie
In the acceptance letter you find out that the Fall class trip freshman year is to a ropes course and camp site not far from the one you and Tony worked at. Your father Mike wants to know if they're connected in any way, or if you might want to opt out. Maybe you could make some new friends, talk them into doing the same, and you all could go on a better trip of your own! He's clearly caught between a desire to protect you this time, but also giving you whatever you want. A Jacobs family trip with friends wouldn't be easy on him though, since as you know he can't miss practice or a game for it... what's the deal? Is he all talk? What do you do?

No way would I run scared just because their might, maybe, possibly be a connection between this ropes course and the Sleep Tight Camp. But... some time with Dad wouldn't be a bad thing. He's been pretty busy in training, so we haven't seen each other too much recently. He could probably to push them into giving him a day off, letting us make it an overnight trip, but that'd put some bad blood between him and the rest of the team. He keeps saying they've got a shot of going all the way this year, and I know he doesn't have too many years left in football. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also, ducking out of the trip would be like telling all the classmates she didn't invite that she thought they weren't worth her time. Probably not the best way to start life in a new school.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Who am I? Don’t you remember me? I’ve been here forever, you must just have never noticed me. I’ve been here all my life, trust me - ask me anything about Squaw Peak, anything that only a lifer would know?

I’m not entirely lying. I have been here all my life - but my life has only been a few years. Technically. This /body/ has been here longer, little Zoe Barnes, and my ‘parents’ won’t tell me how /she/ died. All I know is she did, and they remade me in her image. Not as perfect as they hoped.

I’m not sure why I was made, exactly. ‘Mom’ - or as most people know her, Miss Barnes, Biology Teacher, stopped pretending like I was her real daughter a few years ago, but she won’t tell me the how or why of how she got me in her daughter’s corpse. She acts like I owe her, like it cost her something, like I should be grateful, but frankly I don’t give a drat. I didn’t get a choice here, and I didn’t get a childhood.

After all, why bother with that when they could just take an empty thing, pack its head full of memories like some demented encyclopaedia, and rely on it to be their perfect little princess?

Sorry if I sound cynical, but wouldn’t you be in my position? I mean, I’m not /me/, really. I’m just a bundle of lies and expectations wrapped up in a teenager’s body, all nice and neat, with knowledge but no memories, no past or anything, just what my ‘parents’ saw fit to give me.

Well, I do have one thing. This feeling deep inside, more than just a feeling. A /need/. I can’t affect my past, or the lack of it, can’t fill that hole, but I drat well can feel alive by breaking the rules, and the happy little neatness people take for granted.

quote:

Zoe Barnes, the Ghoul

Hot -1 Cold 2 Volatile 1 Dark -1

Gaunt, Hollow Eyes, Constructed

Moves:

The Hunger
You have a Hunger for: Chaos
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
}}heal one harm;
}}remove a Condition;
}}mark experience;
}}carry 1 forward.

Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 28, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ferrosol posted:

One thing still puzzles me from that first song though, why is standing on someone's strangely coloured foot coverings such an offence?

Ok, I'll admit I laughed.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I find that my life and everything around me is full of contradictions; things that shouldn’t be, yet they are. I want to indulge in the arts, especially painting and yet I’m more suited to public speaking and politics. My mom tells me that I was part of a grand heritage of true beauty and wonder, that it is mine and I am free to pursue them; my dad meanwhile tells me that I’m part of a legacy of power and influence and that whatever actions I take will damage his family. My dad very much into politics and sees himself at the White House in a couple of years; as such he requires complete control of how we look. Mom takes things very seriously, while dad is more relaxed, certain that things will happen over time.

Any other would feel pressure or stress or see something depressing, and yet I feel nothing but serendipity. Perhaps I’ve become far more like dad than mom; in that way I feel sad. Sometimes she shows me things of her heritage, the world beyond the one live in, the things she has back in her hometown - if it could be called that - and I want to be part of that way of living. I try to break out to fulfill that want whenever I could, in between dad planning things for me. He welcomes me talking to others and being involved, and yet says that I should have nothing to do with certain people. He wants me to make the right kind of friends, but what makes one friend more ‘right’ than another?

He talks about this school he wants me into; saying that it’s good for me, and saying to mom that It’s good for this family… I overhear mom saying to dad that it isn’t good for me and that this school would make more a stranger to myself. Despite the soft voices they almost were spitting venom at one another. It’s like they don’t know themselves of anything, and it makes the world much more confusing. I can only hope this new school may be simpler and not speak in contradictions...

pre:
Name: Roosevelt “Reese” Summers, The Fae
Look: mysterious, quick eyes
Origin: Fae-blooded

STATS

Hot: 1 | Cold: 0 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1

Sex Move

When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 strings on them.

Darkest Self

Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. 
If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. 
To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice. 

MOVES

Faerie Contract: If someone breaks a promise with you, take a string on them. When spending a string 
to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:

- They gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
- Add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
- they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not;

Unashamed: You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.
Hope there's time to squeeze a foot in the door.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

:siren: APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED :siren:

Lì and the 3 C's let me know which 2 or 3 apps you prefer here, by PM, or in #castersupremacy, and I'll have final picks and prompts ready tomorrow.

e; waiting on Androc and ilootthecorpse.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 29, 2014

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I hope I get accepted, it's literally like high school again.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

BallisticClipboard posted:

I hope I get accepted, it's literally like high school again.

God I hope not. I was always the last one to be picked then as well :)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Acceptance letters for regular admission show up for Ricard Reyes and Marina Fleming. Everyone else gets waitlisted and reminded about rolling admissions for Winter and Spring trimesters.

Reyes
Your 'contract' is renewed for freshman year, as everyone knew it would be. It'd have been pretty poor form to let you go after you served as a consultant for the tryouts for transfer students that came attached with a fat scholarship, basically on the same level as Coach Creed. The only other student with such privileges is a rival of yours, Victor Coutinho, the dilettante. Your dad once remarked that if he bothered to focus on basketball instead of splitting his time between baseball and soccer and track and lacrosse etc. he might actually be worth starting. The possibility looks tempting when the tryouts reveal no prospects, except Coach Creed and he get all infatuated with this one PG. That's your position, but they say you're so versatile, and it'd be worth recruiting him just to take him out of the pool. They're actually afraid of this guy's potential to lead a rival school against you! What do you do?

Marina
Dr. Fleming gets you into SPA at the 11th hour through his connections with all the music teachers there, a couple of whom are current and former grad students of his at Arizona State University (go devils). Not only that, he also secures you a summer's worth of private lessons in any and all the instruments you want, and takes you out dancing every night. Salsa here, ballroom there, blues, swing, every style he can. He usually watches you from the bar, smiling. One night though, a particular song comes up that twists him into a wreck, making him start sobbing seemingly against his will. When you break away from your partner to go to him he starts on about what you mean to him? What song is it? What does he say? What do you do?

:siren:EVERYONE:siren:
It's time to assign background strings! I'll be keeping track of them in a statblock at the bottom of every one of my posts. Get to it!

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 30, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
How early in the year are we starting play?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Green Bean posted:

How early in the year are we starting play?
Right at the second week of the Fall trimester. Background stuff can have happened sometime between the (mandatory) Labor day brunch picnic and the first Monday of school, at the beginning of the second week.

The picnic combines freshman orientation and a tour of the facilities and meeting of the staff. Parents are invited, and many attend when they hear about the complimentary mimosas. Some of the ones who live within walking distance bring 'extended family' party crashers and get sauced. Students who came up through SPA's middle school like Christophe and Ricard and the King's Club will have been tour guides.

The first week of school starts the next day. It's short, four-day week, when the teachers are still pulling their punches when it comes to homework so everyone can have time to sample all the extracurricular after school activities.

Naturally you'll all be on your best behavior, since you can only make one first impression!

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 6, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

In case anyone doesn't have the actual rulebook: If Your Backstory says “Someone once saved your life. Give them 1 String on you,” you should discuss with that person how they saved your life. Don’t go into exhaustive detail, but do take the time to sketch in some details of your shared history.

I'm also gonna ask everyone to put a Q&A section at the bottom of their character sheet, for when questions come up on IRC or OOC or whatever. That way if anyone isn't around for them they don't miss out on anything that will become future subtext.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

The Vampire posted:

You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

Lì was the model teenager during the brunch picnic and first week, socializing, meeting new people, charming the teachers, all that fun stuff. He's shed his middle school awkwardness over the summer, and good thing too, because as the cute foreign-looking guy he was a definite centre of attention. He got a whole bunch of really awkward compliments about how good his English was, and he overheard some comments about his parents from the drunker adults, but he played it off with a polite smile and bottomless patience. On the drive home, his dads kept telling him how proud they were that he was coming out of his shell and clearly this year was going to be much better than the last. Lì agreed, though probably not for the same reasons.

The Vampire posted:

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

I kind of want Marina to have done this, but I'm not sure how it would have happened. Any thoughts?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

slydingdoor posted:

Reyes
Your 'contract' is renewed for freshman year, as everyone knew it would be. It'd have been pretty poor form to let you go after you served as a consultant for the tryouts for transfer students that came attached with a fat scholarship, basically on the same level as Coach Creed. The only other student with such privileges is a rival of yours, Victor Coutinho, the dilettante. Your dad once remarked that if he bothered to focus on basketball instead of splitting his time between baseball and soccer and track and lacrosse etc. he might actually be worth starting. The possibility looks tempting when the tryouts reveal no prospects, except Coach Creed and he get all infatuated with this one PG. That's your position, but they say you're so versatile, and it'd be worth recruiting him just to take him out of the pool. They're actually afraid of this guy's potential to lead a rival school against you! What do you do?

About time this thing showed up. Did it get lost in the mail or something? Now to focus on what to do about the upcoming season. I need a Shooting Guard and all I'm given is Victor, a Bo Jackson wannabe who's trying to burn himself out faster, and a Point guard in the form of a transfer student. He's not even tall enough to play a stretch 2 but Coach and Vic are sweet on him. They want to take him because they're afraid he'll take a rival against us. Do they really not trust me to beat any Point I come across. They want to sell him something that's not theirs to see and that's my position.

I could kill two birds with one stone and move to SG and let the kid or Vic fight it out for PG. The new guy seems to be a Pure PG so I'd definitely be his outlet pass every time down. Either way, they'll need to know their role. That captain mark will not leave my jersey. Okay, let's give the call to coach and tell him to move me to SG. Take the New Kid since he and Vic like him so much and they can slot him in at PG. Now I'm the best thing that could have happened to the SG spot and I look great because I willingly changed my position. I better tell the boys as well before they start a riot.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

The Queen Background posted:

You find someone threatening.
Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

That Christopher guy is really . . . I don't know but he's a bad guy. He rolls up out of the blue from some nowhere place in middle school and people, even the lifers, treat him like royalty and that's bad enough in my book. The stories around that guy are too strange. I heard that he bullied a teacher so hard she quit, bringing up that she was cheating on her husband and other stuff that you'd need some serious connections to be privy to that information. He took down 2 guys on the football team by himself. That twig looks like he couldn't break a paper bag much less bust a person's nose. Luckily he seems to know his place and stays away from my court. I tell my boys to stay away from him and do the talking when he's around. I'll be keeping a closer eye on him this year.

Ricard takes two strings on Christopher. Giving one up to Christopher.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The Mortal Background posted:

Declare one person to be your lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

I think Christophe makes the most sense here, since desperate hangers-on are kinda his thing. ilootthecorpse, what are your thoughts?

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

quote:

I think Christophe makes the most sense here, since desperate hangers-on are kinda his thing. ilootthecorpse, what
are your thoughts?

I'm down with that. It kind of plays into his story and background because...

pre:
That seems like a definite fit.

pre:
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
I figure if Christophe and Caleb are involved then there has to be at least some secret sharing, so I'll give Caleb one String.

Ricard is influential enough to dig up a little dirt on Chris, so I'll give him a String.

Lastly, the Connoisseur helped Christophe get here, so it gets one String.

pre:
Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each 
gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.
I want this. It seems to fit, since Christophe is such a manipulator. Also, I love Marina's character.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A few things. OOC stuff is in italics

slydingdoor posted:

Marina
Dr. Fleming gets you into SPA at the 11th hour through his connections with all the music teachers there, a couple of whom are current and former grad students of his at Arizona State University (go devils). Not only that, he also secures you a summer's worth of private lessons in any and all the instruments you want, and takes you out dancing every night. Salsa here, ballroom there, blues, swing, every style he can. He usually watches you from the bar, smiling. One night though, a particular song comes up that twists him into a wreck, making him start sobbing seemingly against his will. When you break away from your partner to go to him he starts on about what you mean to him? What song is it? What does he say? What do you do?

Yeah, we were at some music venue where they were playing the top songs of the 1960s and they played this song and he just came to pieces. At first I thought he'd just drank too much of that brown liquid he likes but it seemed more than that. So I did the only thing I could I called a cab and got in it with him to take him home. Then I did what might have been the hardest thing I've ever had to do and asked him what'd happened. He explained through his sobs that he'd been a young university student years ago and he'd met a girl, they fell in love and married and then a few years later had a beautiful young daughter. Then one night his wife had been coming to pick him up from a concert but she'd been in a car crash with another driver that killed both of them. The song he went on sobs dying down had been his wife's favourite. It humbled me to see Alan, my mentor, my friend rendered so naked so vulnerable.... so human by music. Do you people even know what you have when a song can take a man back so far and into such pain? I helped him into bed and sat with him till he fell asleep. The next day when he awoke he apologised for ruining our night out but wouldn't say anything more about it. I think he's still hurting even after all these years.

Green Bean posted:

I kind of want Marina to have done this, but I'm not sure how it would have happened. Any thoughts?

I could see two options first could just be your garden variety racists going after him for being a Chinese kid or the two dads thing, but I'd assume he'd be able to handle that with vampire stuff. You could have Marina interrupt a beating that was going too far and take him to the school infirmary. The only other thing I could think of is inadvertently getting in the way of a vampire hunter who was chasing him.

ilootthecorpse posted:

pre:
Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each 
gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.
I want this. It seems to fit, since Christophe is such a manipulator. Also, I love Marina's character.

I'd be down with this. But I'm not sure what the limitations of the pelt should be, should we be talking about pseudo-blackmail level material or are we talking something more like control of thoughts or actions?

Character Sheet posted:

Your Backstory:

You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

I figured I'd make this Cassie if there are no objections. Unintentionally watching her do laps of the pool to work off some anger management issues.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 30, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Christophe, what kind of task would you give Marina?

Ferrosol posted:

It humbled me to see Alan, my mentor, my friend rendered so naked so vulnerable.... so human by music. Do you people even know what you have when a song can take a man back so far and into such pain?
O-carding this. What kind of relationships do the people of the Deep Kingdom have with emotions or self-control that they know sets them apart from humans?

pre:
Name	Harm	Strings							Conditions
CAL	0/4	cass, cris2,						none, yet
CASS	0/4	mari2							none, yet
CRIS	0/4	cass, cal4, mari, ric,					none, yet
LI	0/4	cal, cass2, cris, mari, ric, 				none, yet
MARI	0/4	cass2, cris						none, yet
RIC	0/4	cass, cris3, 						none, yet
pre:
Name	Harm	Strings							Conditions
CONN	0/?	cris2,							none
I took the liberty of giving everyone their first on little Cassie McNoStrings, from the part of her backstory: "You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone." Waiting on her.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 30, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

I could see two options first could just be your garden variety racists going after him for being a Chinese kid or the two dads thing, but I'd assume he'd be able to handle that with vampire stuff. You could have Marina interrupt a beating that was going too far and take him to the school infirmary. The only other thing I could think of is inadvertently getting in the way of a vampire hunter who was chasing him.

I'm going fairly low-key vampire power-wise with Lì, so a group of random drunken racists would pose a real physical threat. How does this sound: Lì was getting in one last feeding with a someone he really couldn't stand from his old school, but he gets spotted and it turns out the guy's older brother is there with a group of friends. They mistake it for 'something else', but Marina interrupts and gets him out before it turns into a gay panic beating (or at least before the beating does permanent damage). Lì made her promise not to tell anyone, but obviously she's got some serious leverage on him.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ferrosol posted:

I'd be down with this. But I'm not sure what the limitations of the pelt should be, should we be talking about pseudo-blackmail level material or are we talking something more like control of thoughts or actions?

To my understanding, yeah, it's just "I won't give it back if you don't do what I want.

Ferrosol posted:

I figured I'd make this Cassie if there are no objections. Unintentionally watching her do laps of the pool to work off some anger management issues.

Yeah, that's fine.

Werewolf posted:

You've spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now.
Take 2 Strings on them.

Cassie had taken to swimming laps in the pool as part of her conditioning for lacrosse. She was never much of a swimmer though, so she didn't want anyone to see her flailing around. At least until she got the hang of it. The odd thing was that, no matter how early she got there, this other girl was always there before her, making Cassie wait in the changing room, watching her smooth strokes through the water. She must be on the swim team. Cassie never asked her name, but a few days in, Cassie accidently-on-purpose knocked over the other girl's gym bag and found that her name was "Marina."

Werewolf posted:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

The picnic was surprisingly enjoyable. Cassie wore her heart on her sleeve, and everyone noticed a bit about her.
Li noticed that she too ever so slightly tensed up when one of the drama teachers slipped with a serving knife and nicked their finger, bringing blood welling up.
Caleb saw that she was a little too eager to make friends, and considering the source, that was impressive.
While they were listening to the New Student Orientation, Christopher picked up on her impatience with rules, filing it away for future use.
Marina noticed that Cassie was a little too familiar when she introduced herself. Her body languague suggested that they were already friends even though they never met.
Ricard caught a little of her in the pick up soccer game. She's got the knack for it, but she's a bit too... forceful in some of her maneuvers. She's not one to take losing well.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

ilootthecorpse posted:

I'm down with that. It kind of plays into his story and background because...

pre:
That seems like a definite fit.

pre:
I figure if Christophe and Caleb are involved then there has to be at least some secret sharing, so I'll give Caleb one String.

Sounds good. How would you want to characterize the relationship between Christophe and Caleb? How much does Caleb know, how mutual is it (vs Caleb just being a hanger-on or just thinking Christophe is cool from a distance), how intimate is it?

Androc fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 1, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

slydingdoor posted:

O-carding this. What kind of relationships do the people of the Deep Kingdom have with emotions or self-control that they know sets them apart from humans?

Answers to some questions from the IRC peanut gallery

Okay this all of OOC knowledge. But my idea of Selkie society is that it's almost a pseudo-japanese society in that public displays of emotion are frowned upon and everyone is expected to maintain an iron mask of social control that you only lower for family and close friends. Strong emotion is obviously still a thing but you're expected to bottle it up and not express it publicly. To allow another to witness your displays of strong emotion is a gesture of respect/admiration/love/friendship for them. So the human ability to express and experience emotion through song is both odd and fascinating to her.

This leads to the pelt issue. For a Selkie every pelt is unique. You can only use yours to transform no one else's will work for you. To give someone your pelt to hold is the ultimate gesture of trust you can bestow on someone because you are giving them control of your greatest vulnerability. Though that said the precise nature of the relationship can vary depending on the individuals involved. For example when Marina gave Alan her pelt it was for her acknowledging and agreeing that they had a close mentor/student relation and that she trusted him implicitly. In the hands of a lover it's the closest of relationships. In the hands of a friend you're incredibly close like blood brothers.

Now taking someone's pelt without their permission is possibly the second greatest crime you can commit on a Selkie (second only to murder) and is seen as a violation of sorts. So for someone like Christophe to steal her pelt is a heinous crime in her eyes. Now he can blackmail her to do whatever in order to get it back. But if she ever gets her pelt back her first thoughts would probably turn towards vengeance towards him and anything he cares about. Whether Christophe or his dark power realise this or not should lead to some interesting stories.

Someone was asking about the sirens song ability in relation to the above stuff. The way I intend to play it is that using that ability amongst her people is rare but not unheard of. To be able to use it you need to overcome social conditioning and be able to express your feelings publicly and openly to everyone. People who can do this are considered outcasts but weirdly they're almost respected and treated as folk heroes and serve as a sort of safety valve for selkie society. Now there are old legends of people using it on land dwellers but that must be a myth right? I mean what would land dwellers have that any self respecting selkie would want?

The overall theme I'm looking to explore in this game is what does humanity look like to someone from outside of it. Things we take for granted may appear extraordinary while others we are proud of may not be considered of much value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Everything's looking great.

Now that backgrounds are picked if not completely fleshed out, we may as well fill out the seating chart. You all are in the same "advisor group," a homeroom analogue, with Dr. Alys Coon. She's the stuffy, matronly gray-haired head of the English Dept, and teaches all the freshman class English.

It's hell. She doesn't just demand that you write with perfect spelling and usage of SAT-tier 25-cent vocabulary words, perfect academic grammar, and completely standard fonts and styles, she also demands that you speak that way. Perfect pronunciation is a must. No mumbling. In and out of class.

For some reason, likely Stockholm Syndrome, she also has won the hearts of the very competitive sophomore class, who gasp in shock and glance at her in unison whenever someone violates any grammatical law, no matter how arcane. You'll have to be extra careful around her and them not to accidentally say you're "doing good" instead of "doing well."

The laid back senior class refers to her as "Coon Tang." Preferably behind her back, but in earshot of as many of her ardent sophomore fans as possible.

While you all pick your seats, which she asks that you do not change until she and you all have memorized one another's names, tell everyone about someone or something that you're sitting next to. Besides the permission slips for the freshman trip to the ropes course that lie perfectly in the center of each desk.

pre:
         [DrAL]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][    ][    ]
2[    ][    ][    ][    ]
3[    ][    ][    ][    ]
4[    ][    ][    ][    ]
Either quote this thing and fill in your 8-bit game 4 letter abbreviated name, and your npc's if applicable, or just reply with the coordinates etc. of each.

• Locked thread