Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What's that like? :smith:

(I'm hoping to see something other than "well, I have a cushy IT job where I basically just get paid to gently caress around on the internet all day.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

thanks to hot hot metrics there arent that many cushy IT jobs these days imo. i had one for a couple years and it kind of sucked even then

i dont know how to answer your question though op, my job stresses me the gently caress out

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
It helps to have good coworkers and a fun working environment.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Most of them aren't in the US.

Going to guess that fewer than 20% of US citizens enjoy their jobs.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

It's the best thing in the world, op. I get to put out fires, pull people from burning buildings, and save people having heart attacks and stuff. The pay is awesome, and it's rewarding as all hell.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

I do software qa and my job is basically to gently caress around on the internet all day, mostly actually doing my job, but there's enough time for some goofing off too. sometimes i do programming as well. the whole thing is pretty fun and challenging which is important, but also my work is flexible with scheduling/working from home and stuff.

So I like my job a lot op! yay!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i had a job where i was paid to gently caress around on the internet all day but thats because there was a gigantic work bottleneck and management would rather call endless meetings than actually pay someone to fix it

then they liquidated my entire department because no one could figure out why nothing was getting done ayy lmao im hosed

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I work in the cheese sandwich factory.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Would you like some sausage?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoy my job. Almost every aspect of them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

People speak to me with so much pity about my job (Substitute Teacher in :canada: with plans on becoming a Big Boy Teacher), like my life must be Hell and that everyday that I'm not a real teacher must be miserable and embarrassing for me... but I'm pretty happy with it tbh, and my life is pretty great.

On the other hand I've seen teachers literally get off work and go to a party and drink full glasses of wine and beer in one gulp/ from a bag of wine, so I think some people just are unhappy?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what is a good career to go into if you want a basic kind of job where managers do not swoop in to corner you about getting your unwavering support in their feudal turf wars

because i would like to do that kind of job, where i do work and do not have to sign loyalty pledges

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

what is a good career to go into if you want a basic kind of job where managers do not swoop in to corner you about getting your unwavering support in their feudal turf wars

because i would like to do that kind of job, where i do work and do not have to sign loyalty pledges

be your own boss

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

learn how to blacksmith and make chainmail for larpers

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I do networking stuff for a really big company. We do have the metrics and stuff to deal with so it's not like I can slack off all day (or much at all, really) but the work itself is pretty interesting and I like my coworkers for the most part. The downside is that everything is exceedingly technical

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my dad is a subcontractor for JPL and geeks out about his job constantly

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

learn how to blacksmith and make chainmail for larpers

this is what i do, very rewarding

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

smoobles posted:

this is what i do, very rewarding
if i want to apprentice blacksmith do i have to bring my own medieval filth and ignorance or is that provided onsite

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

i enjoy some things about my job..other things I don't like.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sup op

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I legit enjoy my job and shake my head at people who bitch about Mondays and constantly ask if it's the weekend yet. Fuckin' slaves, strive for something better then.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
i do motion graphics, so i get to animate stuff with after effects, flash and maya when i have work, otherwise i just watch youtube and poo poo. i'm fulltime & salaried so i get paid either way

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
have you tried applying at the dick sucking factory op

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Daedra posted:

have you tried applying at the dick sucking factory op

that job sounds like a great way to get someone completely jaded about sucking dick

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh yeah great, hot loads in my hair and eyes. must be fuckin wednesday or some goddamn thing. christ.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
I test commercial fire alarm systems. So everyday I go someplace new and set of the fire alarm. I can be very technical but mostly it's a lot of walking around and looking how good/bad everyone else has it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i am pretty much homer simpson

i sit around all day and hope the building doesnt catch on fire

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

It helps to have good coworkers and a fun working environment.

Yeah. I work with cool people at a fun place and it's awesome really.

Plus the sinks in the bathrooms are foot pedal operated, I mean... that's the poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Being rich is p. sweet. Would recommend/

redshirt fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 26, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I legit enjoy my job and shake my head at people who bitch about Mondays and constantly ask if it's the weekend yet. Fuckin' slaves, strive for something better then.

can't we do both?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I only ever realize I liked a job after I left it :smith:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my job is stressful as all gently caress and i see horrible, horrible poo poo as a matter of routine.

but it's also rewarding as gently caress and i keep children safe from abuse and harm

i work for CPS

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

my job is stressful as all gently caress and i see horrible, horrible poo poo as a matter of routine.

but it's also rewarding as gently caress and i keep children safe from abuse and harm

i work for CPS
my wife is a nurse in the baby section and gets to see sick dying meth babies non stop and im just like welp i read the internet and played games on a kindle all day :getin:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I sell beds in a store that employs myself and one other guy. I see ~4 customers in a day. It is awesome.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
well, I have a cushy IT job where I basically just get paid to gently caress around on the internet all day. The hardest part is while I'm browsing imgur during a meeting and I come across a pic that makes me laugh really hard but I have to try to hold it in. Then my boss gives me this look and then I send him a link to the pic on Google hangouts and then he's stuck trying to contain his laughter.

Oh and Sometimes I make fancy PowerPoints.

Seriously though get a job in IT :feelsgood:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I used to really enjoy my job but now I don't have to work at all which is a million times better than having a job you enjoy imo.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

well, I have a cushy IT job where I basically just get paid to gently caress around on the internet all day. The hardest part is while I'm browsing imgur during a meeting and I come across a pic that makes me laugh really hard but I have to try to hold it in. Then my boss gives me this look and then I send him a link to the pic on Google hangouts and then he's stuck trying to contain his laughter.

Oh and Sometimes I make fancy PowerPoints.

Seriously though get a job in IT :feelsgood:

most IT jobs are NOT like this just a BIG warning wanna put that OUT there

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
my job is ok but it's pretty stressful and also times pretty slow and tedious i realize that it is a good position but i also feel like there's something that's a better fit but the perks are just so good that it's hard for me to even consider anything else

also i have to take vacations every few months because if i don't then i slip into a deep depression so at least it gives me a reason to see the world a bit

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Professor Shark posted:

People speak to me with so much pity about my job (Substitute Teacher in :canada: with plans on becoming a Big Boy Teacher), like my life must be Hell and that everyday that I'm not a real teacher must be miserable and embarrassing for me... but I'm pretty happy with it tbh, and my life is pretty great.

On the other hand I've seen teachers literally get off work and go to a party and drink full glasses of wine and beer in one gulp/ from a bag of wine, so I think some people just are unhappy?

Being a sub sounds like a good job if you enjoy teaching. Like, I assume you rarely have to deal with parents and the teachers I know always tell me that parents are the worst part of the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Subbing in :canada: must be completely different because in Merica they just hand out worksheets and its pretty much a free day

• Locked thread