Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

In the end, the world didn't need a Superman, just a selfish one.
Problem description: Have been getting windows time out errors.
Built my own PC roughly 6 months ago with the specs below. It has been doing great, running games at very high settings, playing video without issue, and then in the last 2-4 weeks every time I play a game or even sometimes watching 60 fps video I get a flickered screen, and then one of several errors, either windows timeout detection and recovery, or various flavors of Nvidia driver kernal failures, or no error message but the game/video/google chrome crashes to desktop. Despite the fixes below, I am still having these errors.

Attempted fixes:
Rolled back drivers
DDU with clean installation of driver
Power management changes to high performance
Limiting graphic settings on games - still time outs
Reinstalled graphics card
HWMonitor (graphic card temp on loads in 70s)
Clean booting the system
Windows Clean Install
Contacted Nvidia customer support, whom basically walked me through the above

Recent changes: No hardware has changed since install. I update my NVidia drivers regularly, and update Windows regularly, and occasionally add games on Steam.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

System specs:

Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760
Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W
Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE-650-M 650W Continuous @ 50°C
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 LGA 1150 Intel B85
Storage HD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM
CD/DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Monitors: Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen x2
Primary HD: Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" TLC Internal Solid State Drive
And an Intel PCI wireless card I don't have the exact information of at the moment.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

After all this I don't feel like I am any closer to finding out what the culprit here is, much less how to fix it, and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Check the windows event log. Are you overclocking the CPU or video card? Update your motherboard BIOS and load system defaults in the BIOS. Run memtest on your CPU memory.

UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Check the windows event log. Are you overclocking the CPU or video card? Update your motherboard BIOS and load system defaults in the BIOS. Run memtest on your CPU memory.

Updated motherboard BIOS and ran the defaults.

Here's the copy and paste from the Window's Event log for some of the errors:

Windows Event Log posted:

"The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.
The application must close.

Error code: 7
Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3007 for more information."

Windows Event Log posted:

"The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
Variable String to Large"

That one has 327 errors in the last 7 days.

I am not overclocking. I have no blank CDs to run memtest, and all the stores are closed, but it will be a few days before I can do that. Thanks for your help so far.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
After updating the BIOS has the issue occurred again?

how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive
http://superuser.com/questions/727959/how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive

UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

After updating the BIOS has the issue occurred again?

how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive
http://superuser.com/questions/727959/how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive

Yes. The issue continues to occur with updated and default BIOS. Ran memtest to completion with no errors as well.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Have you run crystal disk and/or check disk on your drive to see if there are any failures there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownHero
Feb 17, 2006

Zarc posted:

Have you run crystal disk and/or check disk on your drive to see if there are any failures there?

Ran check disk tonight. No failures. Also tonight for the first time got a BSOD related to this, showing "video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys". Tried googling this and got back most of what I had tried already. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

• Locked thread