Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I had absolutely no idea about any of that poo poo. I’m not shocked that making Lisa Frank merch was nightmarish but what a ride the rest of it was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That episode definitely didn't go in a direction I expected

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I'm getting the vibe Gareth doesn't recognize the subject. How did he miss the neon barf that was Lisa Frank?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Baller Ina posted:

I'm getting the vibe Gareth doesn't recognize the subject. How did he miss the neon barf that was Lisa Frank?

Don't worry, Gareth gets one of his classic "recognizes the subject part way through the episode" moments.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fifty Farts posted:

Don't worry, Gareth gets one of his classic "recognizes the subject part way through the episode" moments.

I am amused that his kneejerk guess was my little pony

He was in the ballpark from the jump but didn’t quite have it nailed down

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Baller Ina posted:

I had no idea what that stuff was called until my wife told me in my late 20s.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's easy enough to miss depending on your age and how popular they were in your school, unless you just happen to have strong memories of school supply shopping.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just heard about Gareth’s other other podcast, We’re Here to Help. Sounds like it’s doing great

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/...ce=articleShare

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It’s pretty good and now they have a live studio. This call might be the best to intro.

https://youtu.be/qTtJs5nwezs?si=BZtim60wBYgdxqiO

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't particularly like it. When it comes to advice columns or call in shows I enjoy useful advice and failing that, outright hostility towards the person asking the question. A guiding premise of the show is that the hosts are on the side of the person asking the question no matter what, which means you lose out on a lot of potential for catharsis. Maybe they felt like that vein had been thoroughly tapped by the likes of r/AITA etc, but the show just seemed a bit bland to me.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I found one of the rare photos of Lisa Frank on the internet and uh…boy does she have an intense stare

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Imagine being screamed at by this woman

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Froghammer posted:

I am guessing this is the most muted outfit she owns.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Froghammer posted:

swickles posted:

I am guessing this is the most muted outfit she owns.

yall didnt listen to the episode huh

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

yall didnt listen to the episode huh

I am like 3/4's the way through it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wouldn’t have taken many pictures either if my body was always trying to escape my head (wtf is that stance, is one of the only pictures of her to get out somehow an awkward motion shot?)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's kind of funny that an episode about Lisa Frank is actually like 3/4 about her lovely ex husband and the lady he was loving on the side.

very little to actually say about lisa frank. Rich kid makes mediocre art that's easy to market, rich family puts her in contact with people to sell it.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Froghammer posted:

I can. it's really easy to imagine that actually. Same with her husband, who looks exactly what you would imagine he would look like. I feel sorry for the people they had to work for them, but like Gareth can't help laughing every time I see Lisa Frank artwork now because this is the poo poo they were going psycho over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's kind of funny that an episode about Lisa Frank is actually like 3/4 about her lovely ex husband and the lady he was loving on the side.

very little to actually say about lisa frank. Rich kid makes mediocre art that's easy to market, rich family puts her in contact with people to sell it.
Well she also may have stolen other people’s ideas…

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The sirius station at work has "Spinning Wheel" in their rotation so I hear it at least twice a day, and I always think of Dave's running bit from the Arthur Bremer live episode.

I finally subscribed to the patreon and no ads alone is worth it, much less the bonus stuff that I haven't even really touched yet. It wasn't so bad in the earlier episodes, and the one or two where Finn sat in as Gary were kinda cute and Dave's trying to play it straight while Finn obviously does not give a gently caress. The problems are 1) they just drop the ads seemingly randomly in the middle of the episode now (I know Dave was threatening to do that for a while) and 2) they now play new ads instead of the original ones, so an episode from 2019 will have Gareth promoting his upcoming tour dates. I get it, the companies aren't sponsoring the show anymore, but it still feels weird.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Amazed that it took 600+ episodes before Dave got to Anita Bryant

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

"Of course it's a hardcover"

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to remember how many years he was trying to do some kind of climate change group and then just gave up

I don't even think Dave or Gareth are masking anymore or using Corsi cubes. They only talk about COVID in some tweets.

Anywho, latest episode is a bit personal. It's about a right wing psycho running for school board in Dave's son's district.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As far as I know they are still touring in a van because they got rid of the masks being required on planes rules

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Okuteru posted:

Anywho, latest episode is a bit personal. It's about a right wing psycho running for school board in Dave's son's district.

I am absolutely 1000% behind Dave using his pettiness to go after people like this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okuteru posted:

I don't even think Dave or Gareth are masking anymore or using Corsi cubes. They only talk about COVID in some tweets.

More people making GBS threads on Chris rufo is always a good thing

gently caress Chris rufo, that dude needs to be more well known as someone absolutely full of poo poo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to remember how many years he was trying to do some kind of climate change group and then just gave up

planitchange10.com now redirects to exxon mobile's site

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

A+

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just realized there's not an "e" on the end of mobil after 41 years

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Dave has stared down the same problem that all of us environmentalists have had at some point

Where the gently caress do you start to even make a change? There are mega corporations happily venting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of oil and fossil fuels as byproducts of their harvests, there are military motor pools and airliners that are kept running 24/7, burning more than entire cities’ worth of people’s yearly carbon footprint in just a long weekend, there are manufacturing facilities burning and venting all kinds of poo poo…

Government is unwilling or unable to help, anything beyond criminal vandalism is ignored and downplayed, criminal vandalism is ridiculed, almost all of the major environmental groups are toothless and hollow these days…

:smith: Dave never had an actionable idea, as far as I heard. That’s the stumbling block.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah nothing ever got nailed down but one of the things he talked about was to try and create places where people could even just talk to each about fear and grief around oncoming biosphere collapse without worrying about getting argued with, or spilling baggage onto the un- or semi- willing.

But a community based around just fear and/or grief isn’t self-sustaining, and I don’t know if anyone has ever lived who could be a prime mover for such a group, even for a few months much less indefinitely.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah nothing ever got nailed down but one of the things he talked about was to try and create places where people could even just talk to each about fear and grief around oncoming biosphere collapse without worrying about getting argued with, or spilling baggage onto the un- or semi- willing.

But a community based around just fear and/or grief isn’t self-sustaining, and I don’t know if anyone has ever lived who could be a prime mover for such a group, even for a few months much less indefinitely.

The biosphere thread in the CSPAM subforum is still around, but it is a soul crushing read.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah it is. There are plenty of communities based around fear and grief. You're posting in one of them!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Okuteru posted:

The biosphere thread in the CSPAM subforum is still around, but it is a soul crushing read.

Yeah that has the “open discussion” part but the idea was to mitigate the burden of trauma instead of add to it like that thread

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I would like to submit to the official canon of great dollops the one where prince Alfred visits Australia.

Highlights include the prince's ship sailing right past Perth even though its citizens are gathered in the harbor with a band and everything, religious riots in Adelaide, the citizens of Melbourne lining the harbor and shouting "don't be afraid of us" as the ship docks, prince Alfred acting like a prick and stiffing everyone including the ladies at the classiest brothel in Melbourne. There's even a perfect third act twist as the recurring comic relief gang The Fenians shows up and attempt to assassinate the prince in Sydney, something the Sydney Morning Herald reassured us the next day "had no connection in any way whatsoever, however remote, to anything Australian."

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Whenever the Fenians show up it’s going to be a good time for sure, even if they’re only in one part. Very much a Dumbest Guys You Know Have A Good Cause situation.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
fenians are the jan 6ers for canada

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

fenians are the jan 6ers for canada

Except the Fenians are cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009