Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Waste an evening on the Wikipedia entry for Action Park if you have the time. The episode's great, but they could have stretched it out into a two parter easily, it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not a huge audio dork or anything, but the two channel hiccup on the funeral home episode is making it very tough to listen to for some reason.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

PantsOptional posted:

The missus almost drowned at Action Park as a kid so this one is pretty interesting for her.

The pool with 12 lifeguards that had rescues every day sounds terrifying.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm not a huge audio dork or anything, but the two channel hiccup on the funeral home episode is making it very tough to listen to for some reason.

This reminds me; last week a dollop finally had the audio go bad enough that Dave didn't post it on the main feed. Instead he put it up Here. If you can stand a loud buzzing noise for 8 minutes, I thought it was a pretty funny one. I have a feeling some people will find this less annoying than some of the other issues :v:.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

This always kind of pisses me off too because I have hearing loss in one ear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My dad had a friend of a friend who literally skinned himself alive in Action Park. These two worked in the park itself and liked to gently caress around on the rides before it officially opened. They were racing on the concrete flume when this poor bastard went flying off the edge, hit the concrete below on his back, and left most of his flesh behind on the skid.

He lived, but probably wished he hadn't. Pity not his dumb (and flayed) rear end, but the maintenance workers who had to hose away all the blood before their supervisor showed up.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This miniature doc about Action Park is loving great (and features Chris Gethard (who rules) as mentioned by Dave in the episode)

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I thought Action Park was the safari place that shut down and left all the animals behind. Am I making that up? Is that a thing?

Those alpine slides are a loving nightmare. I shredded a good amount of flesh off of my left leg on one when I was like 12 or 13. No one really explained the whole braking mechanic to me before my first ride.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Jet Jaguar posted:

The pool with 12 lifeguards that had rescues every day sounds terrifying.

Average of 30 rescues on busy weekends. If you're doing your PhD in lifeguarding, this is where you get sent for ultimate training.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
yup, that sure looks like somebody designed it on a napkin

DangerDummy! posted:

I thought Action Park was the safari place that shut down and left all the animals behind. Am I making that up? Is that a thing?
That's Jungle Habitat.

http://weirdnj.com/stories/abandoned/jungle-habitat/

The story about "they just packed up and left the animals there" seems to be an urban legend though.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 12, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
tons of cool magic tricks in this new ep! highly recommended.

Oh Father O'Brien!

Gross, smelly ham!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 15, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am so glad I found this podcast. I almost died listening to The Rube episode. A man with a dog's brain chasing fire trucks and wrestling alligators all while out pitching Cy Young.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Gary seriously needs to clear out his sinuses before doing these

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 25, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you want to read Bunko Kelley's book Thirteen Years in the Oregon State Penitentiary that was mentioned briefly in this episode, it's up on Google Books (but not Project Gutenberg).

Looks like it might be kind of entertaining as a historical memoir. From the introduction:

Bunko Kelley posted:

I must enlighten my fellow-men as to what becomes of the money they pay for taxes. Oh, fools that you are! Amen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I finished up LAPD month a couple days ago and again the episodes about terrible, horrible stuff are the best episodes. Gary just being destroyed is an evil delight and listening to him going from lighthearted jokes to macabre, horrified jokes, to "I have nothing Dave. You broke me." is just such a twisted dark humor.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I finished up LAPD month a couple days ago and again the episodes about terrible, horrible stuff are the best episodes. Gary just being destroyed is an evil delight and listening to him going from lighthearted jokes to macabre, horrified jokes, to "I have nothing Dave. You broke me." is just such a twisted dark humor.

Youre gonna love the Omaha race riots episode, my friend.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Galloppoli!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
After listening to the episode on him I Watched Man In The Wilderness, the 70s movie based on Hugh Glass. Thought it was gonna be a badass revenge movie but it's actually about a guy who realizes he shouldn't have abandoned his kid after his wife died. It's not bad but could have used more blood and crawling for miles (his injuries seem kind of mild compared to the real story, he mostly limps around a bunch). Kinda disappointing.

Can't wait for Iñárritu's movie about him with Tom Hardy and DiCaprio, that seems like it will be closer to the real story. Although how the gently caress Hardy ISN'T playing Hugh Glass in that remains a mystery to me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The Owen Kildare ep is such a ridiculous emotional rollercoaster that I feel like "Owen" may have embellished the details of his life. But I hope it's true!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

They always talk about how people are clamoring for episodes about X but as far as I can tell they only have a website with no comments and a facebook. Where are they doing the clamoring, id like to see an episode about the Citizen Genet affair.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Twitter, I'd assume, I've gotten responses from them about stuff on there so I wouldn't be surprised if people tweet at them suggesting poo poo. Citizen Genet would definitely be amusing, Mike Duncan did a nice ep in the Revolutions podcast on that affair.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Twitter, I'd assume, I've gotten responses from them about stuff on there so I wouldn't be surprised if people tweet at them suggesting poo poo. Citizen Genet would definitely be amusing, Mike Duncan did a nice ep in the Revolutions podcast on that affair.

Thats what I was thinking of, if Mike Duncans lame dad jokes could make that funny id love to hear the Dollops take on it

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Didn't they ask for suggestions via email early on in the show? I remember sending in a few, but never got a response. My guess is they got enough entries in that first push to last for awhile.

I figure that because there's no other explanation for not having a Smallop on Bubbles the Chimp. Every sentence in that Wikipedia article is insane.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The past few episodes have been really great. I thought the Australia ones were kind of boring but since then, even if the stories haven't been particularly funny, they've been crazy fascinating.

I rather liked the Australia episodes. In general, except for UYD, I tend to like live episodes more than studio episodes.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

In general I find live podcasts to be a crapshoot because so many clubs have horrendous recording setups and/or the recording gets mangled. We Hate Movies live episodes are consistently unlistenable.

caligulamprey posted:

Didn't they ask for suggestions via email early on in the show? I remember sending in a few, but never got a response. My guess is they got enough entries in that first push to last for awhile.

I figure that because there's no other explanation for not having a Smallop on Bubbles the Chimp. Every sentence in that Wikipedia article is insane.

They asked a few episodes back as well, and there's a submission form up on the website. I doubt they're running out any time soon but I sent in a local story for kicks anyway.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just loving the preponderance of Irishmen in a lot of the eps lately. Never gonna get tired of those accents.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Three Jesuses thing really reminded me of The Physicists, but it's real life so it just turns out their doctor is a manipulative rear end in a top hat. I think the play was written shortly after the experiment too, not sure if there's a connection.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 2, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I really enjoyed the Three Jesuses episode but I'm bummed that Dave just read someone else's work more or less word-for-word. (Not for the first time, either, from the same author.) An author who also has a podcast where someone reads the articles out loud.

So if you find those stories interesting you should probably check out DamnInteresting.com for more (though without comedians riffing over top of them). Lots of cool stuff there.

Also Dave write your own poo poo or have someone write some poo poo for you. Preferably with Irishmen involved. I seem to remember Dave occasionally thanking someone for helping him put stuff together in the early episodes, but not as much recently.

edit -- I guess I should say, rather than 'Dave write your own poo poo' it should be 'get permission to read something from the author' and 'attribute it at the end of the podcast'.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ChetReckless posted:

I really enjoyed the Three Jesuses episode but I'm bummed that Dave just read someone else's work more or less word-for-word. (Not for the first time, either, from the same author.) An author who also has a podcast where someone reads the articles out loud.

So if you find those stories interesting you should probably check out DamnInteresting.com for more (though without comedians riffing over top of them). Lots of cool stuff there.

Also Dave write your own poo poo or have someone write some poo poo for you. Preferably with Irishmen involved. I seem to remember Dave occasionally thanking someone for helping him put stuff together in the early episodes, but not as much recently.

I've wondered several times how much completely made up poo poo you could slip into a dollop submission and still get it read on the air.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
While we're almost complaining, is anyone else on earth as trusting of spell-check as Dave is?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
That bothers me too. I googled a few lines from the radioactive boy scout episode, and they came up word-for-word from articles online. He should know better.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I don't think Dave ever intended to write his own stories. The premise is that he reads an article, whether it be on wikipedia or somewhere else, to his friend Gary to gauge his reaction.

Having said that, I do agree that he should at least credit or list the source of the article. But I'm guessing they're just way too lazy

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ChetReckless posted:

I really enjoyed the Three Jesuses episode but I'm bummed that Dave just read someone else's work more or less word-for-word.

Well, it looks like whoever runs DI noticed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I always wondered why Dave never gave any credit to the writers of the stuff he reads. Surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

AndrewP posted:

I always wondered why Dave never gave any credit to the writers of the stuff he reads. Surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Especially since, its my understanding that, he's quite active in the writer's guild etc. (He's badmouthed the netflix /amazon etc shows for being non-union for the writers anytime those come up in a podcast he's on). In my mind its even more of a sign because of that. Just crediting on the website would be something

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AndrewP posted:

He's mentioned researchers in passing before but he's also mentioned writing it himself (autocorrect and such.) He says they're going to make a statement tonight.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Some pretty great twitter aggro going on over this.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not surprised. That Three Jesus episode was pretty egregious. It was the first time I made the connection as its such a distinct story, but then its easy to see the other cases. I didn't know the part about the Patreon and Dave making claims about 'endless research' (sure Dave).

Too bad there isn't some kind of truce because there are a lot of cool stories on DI but I can see why the DI guy would be cheesed. Dave is big into writer's rights (I remember him ragging on Patton Oswalt for liking Daredevil on Netflix because of some health insurance stuff) so I was a little surprised he was so overt about it.

edit -- especially considering how rampant joke stealing and whatnot is in the comedy world.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Welp, if you did want to listen to those episodes, you should probably get downloading now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Welp, if you did want to listen to those episodes, you should probably get downloading now

Those are some great episodes, too. Especially Killdozer.