Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
LOL if you have to waste two hours sitting at a computer, thinking of a way to start your bullshit dissection essay about the choice of book you have to read and the "symbolism" that are "hidden" throughout the story when it's just an author writing a loving book to tell a loving story / or make money. loving dumb rear end, go major in science or something else that allows you to work with facts and gain respect. Don't be chump, you will never be J.K Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hingehead posted:

LOL if you have to waste two hours sitting at a computer, thinking of a way to start your bullshit dissection essay about the choice of book you have to read and the "symbolism" that are "hidden" throughout the story when it's just an author writing a loving book to tell a loving story / or make money. loving dumb rear end, go major in science or something else that allows you to work with facts and gain respect. Don't be chump, you will never be J.K Tolkien.

such a post... looks like we've got another J.K Tolkien on our hands.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
real men drop out of college

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LOL

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LOL @ those college degrees, just lOL at them

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I hate literatures so much!!!! *sets ur copy of moby dick on fire*

See its a metaphor for being a big ol gay!!!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

*in weasily liberal arts unemployed fag voice* "wow but social sciences have value"

*me in badass stem major voice* LOL

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
J.K. tolkein and CK Lewis

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Sweet Tea posted:

such a post... looks like we've got another J.K Tolkien on our hands.

I am coming up with the best Harry Potter / Lord of the Ring crossover Fan fic you will ever want to read in your entire life. What if Gandalf is actually Dumbledorft?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hingehead why do you post on this site

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the art of bullshit is super useful, dumbass

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Hingehead posted:

i went to college for comparitive literature and got a bunch of B's first semester, then took a class with a teacher i really liked, who really liked me, and i wrote a killer essay and he gave me a D and stapled 3 sheets of paper to it with a handwritten response, longer than my essay, explaining how my potential was so great but i really just didnt get it, and while he couldnt really put into words what was wrong with my paper, he couldnt shake the feeling that it wasnt right and that i could have done better

so then i switched to hard sciences the next semester and now i can make a living for myself because i spent those years learning how to do things rather than learning how to analyze what other people have already done in minute critical detail

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

mr.capps posted:

hingehead why do you post on this site

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The theoretical deconstruction of Hingehead's thesis is a very interesting topic that is important to many people around the world. It is with great confidence that one must believe in such as statement, as Hingehead did, if one is to further one's own standing in the world; only then can humanity make progress.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sexy young infidel posted:

J.K. tolkein and CK Lewis

Louie CK and J.K. stanhope

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
somethingawful should kickstart its own accredited university imo

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

comedians are modern philosophers qed another reason liberal arts are useless

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

TEAYCHES posted:

funnily enough your av is of a fictional STEM professor

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
knock knock

whos there

tolkien

tolkien who?

lol jk

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
pikachu actually went to trade school

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

funnily enough your av is of a fictional STEM professor

i wouldnt know because i dont care about, or even like, anime

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

i wouldnt know because i dont care about, or even like, anime

not anime bud :rolleyes:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
op never got over his english teachers dissing on his Scarlet Letter essays in sophomore year

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what is anime?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

what is anime?

cartoons

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Stoic Commie posted:

pikachu actually went to trade school

pikachu has a doctorate in rear end whuppin, dont try to diminish what he has accomplished in secondary education

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it cant be that simple

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

what is anime?
the yellow death of western civilization

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

it cant be that simple

it can be my friend *takes u on a magical journey thru the worlds gayest cartoons*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
maybe the green light just means fitzgerald thought it woudl sound cool?? god...

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i went to college for comparitive literature and got a bunch of B's first semester, then took a class with a teacher i really liked, who really liked me, and i wrote a killer essay and he gave me a D and stapled 3 sheets of paper to it with a handwritten response, longer than my essay, explaining how my potential was so great but i really just didnt get it, and while he couldnt really put into words what was wrong with my paper, he couldnt shake the feeling that it wasnt right and that i could have done better

so then i switched to hard sciences the next semester and now i can make a living for myself because i spent those years learning how to do things rather than learning how to analyze what other people have already done in minute critical detail

This guy got the right idea. I graduated with Associate in Art, hoping to major in history. Of course nobody wants a history major these days. Philosophy was cool, but it was also full of poo poo since it was useless to ponder whether the world is loving real or not. Writing dissection essays became a major pain in the rear end, worse so if you had to write 20 pages spewing the same crap in different vocabulary words. So I changed my major to a B.S degree in kinesiology. Best decision ever because I am now able to write a 10 to 15 page lab reports on oxygen intake at ease in less than a day and still get a 100 on it. I actually feel like I am accomplishing something in the scientific field.

Hingehead fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 26, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't have any sort of degree but I remember there being some study that said people in fields like IT and stuff actually literally have worse employment rates than someone with a Liberal arts degree.

Tbh, to me it seems like bitter people rage about people with "useless" degrees getting jobs while they get owned by an over saturated market.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I make 90k a year as foreman at a philosophy factory, OP. What do you have to say to that?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was a history major but I met a rich girl in the and ended up marrying her so I'd say it all worked out for this guy!

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
How many STEM majors have over a thousand twitter followers? :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I was a history major but I met a rich girl in the and ended up marrying her so I'd say it all worked out for this guy!

Hey I know a guy who did that IRL. Are you that guy? Hint: I'm the guy who dated your wife right before you did if you're that guy.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Applewhite posted:

I make 90k a year as foreman at a philosophy factory, OP. What do you have to say to that?

How do you know you really work at a factory? Is it based on empirical evidence that you have the notion of working at the factory or does it all exists only in your head? How do you prove that?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hingehead posted:

This guy got the right idea. I graduated with Associate in Art, hoping to major in history. Of course nobody wants a history major these days. Philosophy was cool, but it was also full of poo poo since it was useless to ponder whether the world is loving real or not. Writing dissection essays became a major pain in the rear end, worse so if you had to write 20 pages spewing the same crap in different vocabulary words. So I changed my major to a B.S degree in knesiology. Best decision ever because I am now able to write a 10 to 15 page lab reports on oxygen intake at ease in less than a day and still get a 100 on it. I actually feel like I am accomplishing something in the scientific field.

lmao

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hingehead posted:

How do you know you really work at a factory? Is it based on empirical evidence that you have the notion of working at the factory or does it all exists only in your head? How do you prove that?

You're not gonna trick me that easily; I'm off the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Applewhite posted:

You're not gonna trick me that easily; I'm off the clock.

even a stopped clock is right twice a day

how does that make you feel?

• Locked thread