Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Growing up is hard, and nobody understands. At least, nobody understands how hard it is for you. Because you don't just have to deal with wearing the right clothes, making funny jokes, getting a good enough score on the tests for your parents but a bad enough score your friends won't think you think you're better than them. You have to deal with all that, while being a real, live (maybe) monster. Being stuck in a backwater town whose local economy crashed fifty years ago when the local resources ran dry is just the icing on the shitcake that is your life.

What This Is
This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up if you’ve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you haven’t -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are a bit down the page).

As it is, Salvation is pretty much a blank slate, aside from the fact that is small, a few hours out of the way of anywhere you might actually want to be, and it sucks. Anything beyond that can be established in applications, and decided as a group after the picks are made.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Along with your application, please submit;
-a location in the town, a business, landmark or whatever you think would be interesting,
- a rumor, myth or legend about the town: anything from weird noises in the library to the principle sacrificing students to keep the football team winning,
- a student or staff member at the school and what everyone knows about them.

I’ll give everyone who applies three questions to give them a chance to flesh out the character concept -- submissions will be open for probably a week, depending on how many or few I end up with. I won’t require reference pictures, but most people applying to these games tend to use one, and it’ll definitely help me remember your character. I’m looking for six characters, but it’s possible I’ll stretch that out to a higher number.

Skins:

For this game, feel free to use any of the basic skins, the Angel, the Selkie, the Serpentine, the Hollow or any of the Second Skins (only available to backers at the moment). Bear in mind that the Second Skins and the Angel are a bit more complicated than the basic skins are, and have some weird mechanics. Likewise, the Ghost and the Mortal can be a little tricky to use when getting into the game. So if you’re new to the game, you might want to start with something else.

Basic Skins
The Angel
The Serpentine
The Hollow
The Selkie

Third party skins for Monsterhearts range from good to total broken messes. Basically, use at your own risk, they’re generally less polished than the official ones, and occasionally outright gamebreaking. Here’s a short list of third party skins I’d be okay considering -- if you’d like to try something not on the list, ask me if I’m cool with it first and I’ll let you know.

The Anansi
The Mummy
The Shadow

I most likely will not be taking more than one character per skin.

Other Links:

Buy the game here
Reference sheet

Disclaimer: Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (teen sexuality, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic.

If you need to get ahold of me, you can contact me here or PM me. I’m also frequently online in #swampthings on Synirc.

The Cast:
1. Anne Andrews - The Chosen, thatbastardken
2. River - The Fae, walruscat
3. Maria Ricca - The Queen, Ferrosol
4. Matthew Oritz - The Serpentine, The Deleter
5. Zoe Haven - The Angel, mistaya
6. Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo, TurninTrix
7. Linda Mills - The Wyrm, Gazetteer

The String Sheet: Please also keep track of strings in your character sheet

Rumors:
- mass grave in hill, former mine, haunted by miners
- residents of the commune are a cult
- local gangs are extra bad, deal right outside school
- killer in the park, killed two kids in the lake
- kid missing in mcdonald's, has a 'secret' menu.
- animals have gone missing across town, latest being a mastiff

Locations:
- The School
- The Old Plant (shut down for a few years, site of explosion and mysterious flame thing. good makeout spot)
- Diner (owned by Mia Jackson, Anne works there part time?)
- Railway (frequent spot of runners. Still active?)
- The Echo (dive bar in bad part of town, doesn't card)
- The Commune (commune located on an old far at the edge of town, possibly a cult)
- The Library (giant building from the better days of the town, rarely used)
- Army Surplus Store (guns, knives, you name it. Easy access for kids)
- The Park (has a lake, potential location of a killer)
- Drive in Theater (shows double features, old films. popular date spot for teens)
- McDonald's (seedy, may have a secret menu and missing kids)
- Morgan's House of Teas (British tea shop, great variety, may sell stranger goods)

NPCs
Students
- Matt Collins (Anne's old best friend, blames her father for the explosion, got into a fight with Anne)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Slim" Michael O'Reilly (Maria's gang, proud Irish heritage, good at sneaking)
- "Fat Jimmy" James Johnson (Maria's gang, big, clumsy, accidentally hurts people, puppydogs Maria)
- Amy Johnson (Maria's gang, James' twin, smart, popular, actually friends with Maria)
- August (tall thin and pale, new age druidy type, likes myths, smiled at Matthew once!)
- Tammy Slaughter (shy, good at school bad at life, likes Brad. Linda helped her out)
- Brad (douchey hipster type. Possibly fated to that life by name)
- Chris Hatcher (narced on by Linda for 'stealing' one of her tea sets. Expelled, possibly in jail?)
- Melody Sanders (popular, pretty, smart, athletic, has it all, immune to Linda's charms?)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Rico (rear end in a top hat, bully. Abusive father, rarely goes home. Bullied Jamie until threatened with narcing)
- Aileen (nerdy girl, nervous tick)
- Mike (former foster brother of River, stole money and broke both legs)
- Nina (Jamie's best friend, saw through his disguise, paranoid of being tricked)
- Cody (threw a big party)
- Natalie (creeped on by Mark, gave Zoe her phone dangle for help)
- Mark (creeped/spread rumors about Natalie, got narced by someone (Zoe))
- Mark (head nerd, flipped out when Matthew 'cheated' to win their game, possibly the same Mark)
- Andy Thompson (former Duke of the school, narced and sent to military school by Maria)

Teachers/Staff
- Mr. Hollingsworth (Bio/Chem teacher, young, nice, looks alone and sad. Runs big school events)
- Miss Angela Dunlop (Librarian, a witch? wears horrible pink cardigan)
- Ms. Grey (School Councilor, talks British, has a PHD and is way too good for the job)
- Mr. Hill (Custodian, Mr. Andrews only friend left, cool guy, used to be in the marines)

Family
- Mr. Andrews (Anne's father, former workers rights advocate, injured in explosion, dead inside)
- Ms. Andrews (Anne's mother, left town, invites Anne to live with her once in awhile)
- Mrs. Jayne Smith (River's foster mother, perfect housewife)
- Mr. John Smith (River's foster father, businessman, travels a lot)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Little Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's older brother, wants to go to college and get a good job)
- "Big Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's father, big man in the Chicago mob, had to leave fast, wants his son to - - follow his footsteps and have the perfect daughter)
- Bella Ricca (Maria's mother, didn't transition well, on the road to alcoholism)
- Hugo Ortiz (Matthew's Grandfather, head of the family. Mega-rich, has plans for Matthew, wants him to do - well)
- Charles Ortiz (Matthew's father, goes on about glory days, rich, works at bank)
- Aunt Izzie (Matthew's aunt, brings gifts when she visits)
- Aunt Josie (Zoe's aunt, has a dog)
- Daniel Haven (Zoe's father, works overtime, drinks at home, Very Disappointed)
- Mrs. Haven (died of medical condition, probably cancer)
- Mr. Chang (Jamie's father)
- Mrs. Chang (Jamie's mother)
- Grandpa Chang (Jamie's grandfather)
- Grandma Chang (Jamie's grandmother)
- Uncle Chang (Jamie's uncle, lives elsewhere, visits on holidays)
- Aunt Chang (Jamie's aunt, lives in an apartment in Salvation)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Susie Chang (Jamie's younger sister)
- ??? Chang (Jamie's younger sister)
- Ms. Mills (Linda's mother, Lawyer, embarrassingly happily married)
- Mr. Mills (Linda's father, Accountant, embarrassingly happily married)
- Gary Mills (Linda's younger brother, ten)

Others
- Mia Jackson (runs a diner Anne does part time work at, witnessed a monster attack)
- Theodore (works at the library, 50, works out. Has a bunch of prison tattoos)
- Mrs. Groverstein (mother of "the terrible tots")
- The Visitor (From Heaven, possibly the one in charge of the Zoe Haven/Remiel case)
- George Stacks (businessman and loan shark, owns large part of low income real estate, ties to org crime?)
- Mr. Morgan (British, owns Morgan's House of Teas, possibly deals other substances)
- Denny (family friend of the Changs, works in marketing, friendlier around Maggie)
- Mr. Thompson (Andy "The Duke" Thompson's father, retired military, sent son to army school after narced)

Homes
- The Changs (Large, middle class home has seen better days, in a nice part of town, houses seven)
- The Andrews (Slightly run down two story house in a could be worse part of town)
- The Smiths (Nice house big enough for five, two cars)
- The Havens (Trailer on small plot. Nice, but second hand)
- The Oritzs (Large house in affluent neighborhood)
- The Riccas (Little house in the suburbs)
- The Mills (Comfortable two story house with typical upper-middle class amenities)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I would say to ignore the watermark but proper photo crediting is important, yo.
Adrian Donahue

Adrian has never taken anything he's received for granted. He knows very well that there's starving children in Africa and, why, there's children right here in this very town that would give their left arm to have half the opportunities you've had, young man. Stern but not unkind, Adrian's aunt and uncle did their best to raise him up to be the kind of person his mother and father would have been proud of (what happened to them, anyway? And why is it such a secret?). Adrian is also a person of profound, if uncomplicated, religious faith, though he at least knows enough to not push it where it isn't welcome. Adrian believes in the good in people, which can make the world a frustrating place when everything could be better if people would just be good. If he can see it so clearly, why can't anyone else?

That was how Adrian thought, anyway, up until recently when his aunt and uncle decided that public high school would be a good experience for him over continued homeschooling. At the same time, Adrian has begun to think about and even to doubt some of the thing he's always simply accepted. The earth feels like it's shifting underneath Adrian's feet, and he now struggles to make sense of a world that's suddenly more questions than answers. Questions like, can good people still go to Hell? Who was that weirdo that seemed to be following him the other day? Was his horn that he saw in a mirror out of the corner of his eye real? And why does Adrian feel so strange when he sees other boys changing in the locker room?

quote:

Skin: The Unicorn
Look: Trick of the Light, Humble Eyes
Origin: Hunted to Extinction
People should never: Lie, be selfish, bully, gossip, disobey elders, disappoint Jesus

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves:
When you lay your head in a virgin's lap,
gain a point of Integrity and choose:
  • give them 1 forward to
    protecting you,
  • roll to turn them on.
When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
When you have sex, lose all your
Integrity.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and
you can't hold it together anymore. It's
not because everything is too much
to bear – just that you aren't good
enough. So beg their forgivenesses,
everyone you've wronged by being too
weak to help; and show them how
sorry you are, in whatever small ways
you can muster before the final curtain
falls. Don't seek their acceptance.
You don't deserve it. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone reflects to
you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Moves
With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly,
holding yourself to a high moral
standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect
this, which starts at zero and can climb
to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
  • you take the moral highground
    about an issue that matters,
  • you follow through on something
    important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per
scene. When a move calls for you to
roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity
after you roll.

A Good Person
Spend an Integrity to offer someone an
experience point to do what you say.
If they undertake to do that thing, and
you directed them towards making
a third party happier at no one's
expense, mark experience.

Hunted
There are things that hunt you, things
you often catch out of the corner of
your eye. When one of them comes out
into the open, choose:
  • stand up to it and award yourself
    a point of Integrity,
  • call out for help and anyone who
    comes to your rescue marks
    experience,
  • look directly at it and ask the MC
    a question about your hunters.

"You can see the whole town from Lookout Point, it's awesome when the stars are out. I found a used condom there once, though, that was gross."

"Father Hartford's been around forever, I bet by now he knows just about everything about everyone. I think he must have known my parents, sometimes when he thinks I'm not paying attention he gets this real sad expression when he looks at me."

"A lot of people have switched to that new mega-church, though it's kind of a drive. I've heard they have all sorts of cool stuff, even video games, but that's not what really matters, right? And... is it just me, or do some of the people who go there seem kind of off when they come back?"

Androc fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 26, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Adrian Donahue - The Unicorn
So, if you were homeschooled, you probably didn't have as many chances to make friends (or enemies) as other kids did. How did you meet your best friend growing up, and what did they do that made you cut ties with them?

Also, don't forget to list the things that People Should Never do.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

"Mom and Dad (Well, Aunt... you know who I mean) used to take me to the park all the time. There was this other kid I used to see there that always looked kinda lonely, so one day I talked to him and we just sorta became friends from there. Mom and Dad said it was really charitable of me to hang out with him but I just thought he was cool. But I guess as he got older they must have heard that he or his parents had been doing some bad things or something because they said he was a bad influence and didn't want me hanging out with him any more. I miss him, I hope he's not angry at me."

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Emma Gladstone

undeaddiary.livejournal.com posted:

Profile Details:
Feeling: Depressed :(
Listening to: Linkin Park - In The End

so my family decided we need to move to this lovely little town in the boonies. i'm soooooo p.o.'d! we're rich! why we got to live like this? we're not even in like some mansion or anything, just a normal house.

even if we weren't rich, we're still super powerful! but no, we got to play the masquerade!! god, DAD! between you and trent, my life is nothing but misery! i bet if i was still in my last life, i'd be the one giving out orders!

this might no be so bad tho. maybe some of the kids at school could be nice to meet. maybe there's a hot boy or two! maybe even a hot girl!

anyways, still working on my IZ fanfiction. it's turning out super good (ZADR is my OTP!), but i'll be drained of inspiration when i'm out here. v.v

quote:

Emma Gladstone, The Vampire
Look: pale, dead eyes
Origin: Newly Reborn

Stats:
Hot 1
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark 0

Vampire Moves
The Feeding: You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
-You heal 1 harm previously suffered,
-You carry 1 forward,
-They don’t die.

Marked for the Hunt: When you feed on someone, you establish a close bond with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their whereabouts or well-being, roll as if you had Dark 3.

Your Backstory
You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you’re alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
This is me expressing interest, but this is also me telling Mr Tastee that he forgot the +1 to one stat.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 27, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Went back and fixed it, thanks!

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Edit: Withdrawing my Chosen app.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 27, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anne Andrews

quote:

Dad used to say that there was no monster worse than human greed, and standing up for the working man was the best way to fight that. These days he doesn't say much, just sits and watches t.v. and drinks all the time. After the accident at the old plant killed most of his buddies the heart went out of him. I don't blame Mom for leaving, it's like living with a ghost some days. The company men that went round the town after the accident told everyone that it was "operator error" that caused the explosion, and because they promised to build a new plant in town no-one wanted to make a fuss. I guess they didn't want the jobs to go overseas, or to the next state. Dad tried to get an investigation going, to get justice, but everyone was too scared.

I know it wasn't the fault of those men that they died.

I know that the explosion wasn't an accident.

And I know that there are real monsters out there, worse than a C.E.O. trying to keep costs down.

No-one is going to believe me, but I'll find the thing that killed those men, that might as well have killed my dad. And I'll put it down before it can kill this whole town.

Character Sheet posted:

Anne Andrews, The Chosen
Look: Stubborn, Unwavering Eyes
Origin: Doing what's necessary.

Stats:
Hot +1
Cold -1
Volatile +2
Dark -1

Harm
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

[ 5 ] Strings on:

River 1; Maria 0; Matthew 1; Jamie 2; Zoe 1; Linda 2

Chosen Moves
To The Books
When the chips are down, and the sinister villain seems unbeatable, you can turn to your friends for research
help. Roll with the number of people assisting you. On a 10 up, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:

• ask the MC a question (MC must answer truthfully);
  • your enemy gains the Condition secret weakness;
  • gain a String on your enemy;
  • carry 1 forward.

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience

Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to
your lash out physically roll and add
1 harm to any harm dealt.

>>
Your Backstory
You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

a place posted:

The Old Plant has been shut down and closed off for a few years, declared unsafe since the explosion that killed more than a dozen workers. Of course, that doesn't stop nosy teens from going in to explore it, or to find somewhere private to make out for a while. What did they make here? Some kind of machines - maybe something military? Dad never said.

a rumor posted:

There's supposed to be a mass grave up in the hills, where there used to be a mine. Story goes that back in the 1890's a bunch of miners went on strike when people started dying in the mine, and the bosses hired gun-thugs to scare them back to work, only it ended up with almost all of the miners getting killed. Dad used to say that the spirits of the dead miners would yell at him if he got sloppy at work.

a person posted:

Mr Hill is the school custodian, and my Dad's only friend who's still in town and alive. He retired from working at the plant before the accident and he's hella old. Cool guy though, used to be in the Marines. Sometimes he comes round to talk to Dad, and it's the only time Dad seems alive again.

RP Agenda posted:

I want to learn more about the monsters - where they come from, what they are, how to kill them.
I want to maintain a sense of normality. Go to school, work, hang out with other kids.
I want to figure out what I'm going to do with my life after school. College? Professional Monster Hunting?
I need to protect people. My friends, Dad, the town, anyone who can't look after themselves. And that's pretty much everyone.
I'm afraid that I'm just crazy. No such thing as monsters, just a psycho little girl who can't admit she needs help.
I'm afraid that my powers are controlling me, rather than the other way around.
I'm afraid of the costs of my actions. Even if I am sane, I can't just go around killing people, can I?
I will never be a helpless bystander in the face of evil again. No matter what, I will act.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 24, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Oh ffs of course someone got a chosen app in before me.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

Oh ffs of course someone got a chosen app in before me.

I can app something else. Weird that we both introduced a custodian npc.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

walruscat posted:

I can app something else.
If you want, that'd be cool. I like the mysterious viking past angle you have going there.

walruscat posted:

Weird that we both introduced a custodian npc.
Clearly it's ~destiny~ that the school have a cool old dude to help wacky teens with their problems.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

If you want, that'd be cool. I like the mysterious viking past angle you have going there.

Clearly it's ~destiny~ that the school have a cool old dude to help wacky teens with their problems.

I'm currently a little obsessed with the Vikings TV show.

I think I'll app a faery shortly.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I've spent my life being passed around foster families. They always promised to take care of me and give me a stable home to live in. None of them ever kept that promise.

It was only recently when I found out I could finally make them pay for what they did to me. At least I could right their wrongs, even though I could never make them keep their word.

I think this new family will be the one that finally does. They seem great. Married for twenty years, two kids of their own near my age. They promised to give me a good home and treat me like one of their own. They aren't like any of the other families I've been with. They just seem so perfect.

I really they will be the ones to finally keep their promise.

quote:

Name: River (Jones)
Skin: Fae
Look: Dainty, mesmerizing eyes
Origin: Adopted

Stats:

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Harm
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self:

Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Moves:

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
-they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
-add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
-they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience.
Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Beyond the Veil
When you attempt to commune with the Faery King, gaze into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: find a hidden String against someone. • On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions are clear, but the Faery King demands a favor of you.

Backstory:

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

You've captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Strings:

Promises:

Linda Mills: "My help never hurts anything. I can promise that," I say airily to River, easing myself back over to my side of the aisle.

The Echo
An old dive bar on the bad edge of what passes for downtown Salvation. It's not much to look at, but you don't have to be 21 to get in and they've got a stage for local bands.

Ms. Grey, the School Counsel
She talks like a Brit and has a Ph.D. She's clearly overqualified for her job and seems to know way too much about her students.

The Commune
There's an enclosed commune on a old farm at the far edge of town. Rumor is that its a weird cult, but no one really knows what goes on there. You see them out sometimes, always in groups of two, getting supplies, but they never talk to anybody.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 4, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You seem like an upstanding young man, but I noticed that you don't think people should never break the law. Why is that, and what law have you broken?

OOC Question: What interests you the most about the move Hunted?

Emma Gladstone - The Vampire
Did your father ever bother to explain why he moved to one of the rear end ends of nowhere? And who is Trent, anyway?

Anne Andrews - The Chosen
Everyone knows monsters aren't real, so why are you so convinced that one caused the explosion? What does your mom think about your suspicion, and did you tell her before or after she left?

River - The Fae
Do you know why you can balance the scales of justice? What was the first time you made someone pay?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

Everyone knows monsters aren't real, so why are you so convinced that one caused the explosion? What does your mom think about your suspicion, and did you tell her before or after she left?

"Don't tell anyone - and I mean that, breathe a word of this and I'll beat the poo poo out of you - but I was there that day. Not in the plant, the guard wouldn't let me in and I was cutting school anyway. I wanted to see Dad, talk to him about some stuff without Mom being around. I was waiting for the shift to change at the picnic spot that looks down on the plant and I saw something, a man made of smoke and flame. He walked into the plant, put his hand on one of the buildings and it blew up. So yeah, I saw a monster, or a ghost or something. I've seen some other ones since then but they didn't seem as bad.

Mom and I...We had a lot of arguments before she left. I said some things that probably sounded pretty crazy, and I think she thought I was trying to protect Dad in my mind. Making up a story with a villain so that things weren't Dad's fault, y'know? We haven't really talked since she left. She invited me to come and stay with her a few times but if I leave, no-one's going to look after Dad. Or go after that monster."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

GodFish posted:

You seem like an upstanding young man, but I noticed that you don't think people should never break the law. Why is that, and what law have you broken?

OOC Question: What interests you the most about the move Hunted?

"I... guess I never really thought about it. It's in Romans that you're supposed to obey the law and stuff...? But I mean, laws are really important! You can't just go around killing people or stealing their stuff or driving the wrong way on the highway, that would be crazy!

...But, um. One time there was this... well, it was a CD, and I'd heard a little bit of it on the internet. It was the kind of music Mom and Dad would really, really hate and never let me listen to. So, I... stole it. It was awful. Not the music, I mean, but I was so scared of getting caught that I got sick after a few days and threw up. I never told anyone, and whenever I hear one of the songs from it on the radio I get really nervous."

As a whole, Adrian is a character who's suddenly finding his identity pulled out from under him and is way out of his depth. The hunters represent another way of pulling him out of his comfort zone and getting him caught up in things he isn't really prepared to deal with. Furthermore, they're a way of bringing his identity as a supernatural being to the table- he isn't yet aware of it himself, and none of his moves are exactly supernatural.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

GodFish posted:

River - The Fae
Do you know why you can balance the scales of justice?

There's another word just around the corner. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of it in the mirror. You can get the best view of this world by tripping on certain mushrooms. This world is naturally just. In it, if a promise is broken, the one who made the promise is punished. It's like gravity or the first law of thermodynamics. It just happens as a natural consequence of the laws of nature.

When I do it, I'm just bringing a little bit of this perfect world into our imperfect one. It helps set things right and make it feel a little bit more like home.

GodFish posted:

What was the first time you made someone pay?

It was a few years ago. I was living with this family that was fostering three kids. They had this older son, Mike, who they'd leave in charge of us. Whenever they'd send us out to the park, or the movies, they'd give money to Mike, make him promise us to share whatever he bought. But he never did. He'd always keep whatever he got to himself.

I knew better than to rat on him. That never went well. They'd never believe one of us over one of their own. It's not like things like this hadn't happened before. But this time, it started to really grind on me. I could feel every one of his broken promises in my bones. It got to the point where it practically consumed my every thought. I knew I had to set things right.

I didn't even realize it was my doing when it first happened. There was a car speeding on the road. He was about to cross it and something distracted him from looking for traffic, but he kept walking. He got hit and broke both his legs. I knew I should feel bad for him when it happened, but it felt so right. For a small moment, the world had become just and I felt at peace in it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Interest post - thinking of doing a Serpentine. Help me, I can't stop applying for *World games.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

GodFish posted:

Did your father ever bother to explain why he moved to one of the rear end ends of nowhere? And who is Trent, anyway?

"It was some bullshit about how The Hunters were closing in on us. I mean come on! We're fuckin' vampires! It's not like we couldn't take some puny mortals!"

"Trent's my older brother. Been bossing me around since he was reborn before I was. Plus he "saved" my life from some hunters, so he thinks I owe him an unlife debt or some poo poo."

(Forgot to add the lore things so here you go.)

Weird Place?? posted:

okay, so I've been noticin this one mansion on the way to and from school. it's really weird, like i think i heard whisperin comin from it. i asked some other kids and they said it's abandoned and there's demons or creatures living under there. if it wasn't so creepy i'd wish we were there instead of this boring suburbs house.

Cool kid! posted:

i met this one kid who also writes fanfiction! his name's kyle. he's mostly into bioshock and my little pony and has been writing a crossover fic between the two! i bet he's good at it!

Mr. Gore posted:

there's this weirdo english teacher named mr. gore. he likes quoting stupid plays and books all the time and his classroom is full of posters and stuff for horror movies. like he keeps this huge collection of stephen king on display. i wish he wasn't a total creep towards me.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Mara, the Ghoul

Have you ever been scared? I don't mean "heard Mom knock on my door while I was smoking a bowl" scared. I mean knowing you're going to die, or thinking that you know it, and that you have absolutely no control over it. I was always scared. How could I not be? The news is a constant stream of crime and pointless death. Even in a sleepy town like this one, there was always rumors of psychopaths lurking in the dark, of people on drugs that would cut your throat for the spare change. I tried to ignore statistics, until I became one.

He smelled awful. I never tried meth, but you hear people talk about what it smells like. I did what I was told to do - emptied my pockets, said nothing. Just give him what he wants, and he'll go away. Losing twenty bucks and your sense of safety is better than bleeding out in an alley next to a convenience store. But he wasn't done - he was angry. Maybe it wasn't enough, or maybe he was so wired that it didn't matter. The cheap utility knife rattled as he swung it across my body. I blacked out, thinking that this was it.

It wasn't. When I... woke up(?) he was gone. And all I wanted to do was find him. Make him as scared as he made me. More, even. I'm still looking.

quote:

Character Name: Mara Yates
Look: Thin Look, Hungry Eyes
Origin: Rejected
Skin: The Ghoul

Hot -1, Cold +2, Volatile +1, Dark -1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
XP : ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]The Hunger
You have a hunger for Fear.
When you heedlessly pursue a hunger, add 1 to rolls.
When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

[+]Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with Cold

[+]Watchful Golem
When you defend someone without them ever knowing about it, mark experience.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an
additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self:
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the
nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly.

You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you
or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure –
at least thirty or forty minutes.

Backstory:
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever.
Give them 2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Strings (On them / On Me):

Advances:

Notes on Family situation: Lives with her father, Michael "Mickey" Yates. Her mother died in a car accident after being hit by a drunk driver about eight to ten years ago. Mickey is still suffering complications from the same crash, and has been on long-term disability ever since, having worked construction for most of his life before the accident. He's not taking it well - he drinks almost constantly, and the only thing preventing his bitter anger from causing actual physical harm to Mara is his various back, nerve, and muscle problems.

Location: Jansen's Pawnbrokers. This place has been getting a lot more business as of late. A lot of people having to sell their dreams to keep the lights and heat running. Thomas, the owner, is part of the third generation of his family to run the store.

Rumor: There's been a lot of speculation about what caused the reversal of fortune for this town - most of them staying far away from actual economics. There's a local author and folklorist who claims that Salvation has been on these 50 year boom/bust cycles since it was founded. Which means things should start improving, right?

Person: Frank Metzger. The closest thing Salvation has to a well-known local criminal. They say all sorts of things about him, from his apparent payoffs of the entire PD to his involvement in the newly accelarating meth trade.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 28, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Matthew Ortiz - The Serpentine

I think my dad is crazy. I mean, when I was a kid, I used to love hearing his stories about ancient temples and rituals to make the sun come up and floating gardens. But nowadays when he goes on about it, I look at our garden with the rhododendron and think "seriously?" And he goes on about restoring our former glory, when we live in a Podunk town that's too far from anything interesting. Then he asks me to go on errands for him. Harmless stuff, mostly.

I think so, anyway.

School is... okay. I don't have many friends, and sometimes I say or do something that makes people look at me funny. I mean, nobody picks on me, really? But I'm not one of them. My dad's rich, I spend my evenings playing Minecraft, there's nowhere to hang out except the mall... Like, I don't get it, really. I want to hang out with them, but everyone just thinks I'm the weird kid. And Dad doesn't want me to be friends with any of them. He says they're beneath me, they're not worth my time. He says I should listen to my family. What, the aunts and uncles and cousins all living in exciting cities, that never come over except on Christmas? What do they know?

He asked me to get him a knife from the army surplus store. It wasn't hard. I printed a fake ID.

Why can't I be normal?

quote:

Name: Matthew Ortiz
Look: Skittish, Darting Eyes
True Form: Green Feathers all over, a snake head
Origin: A family from old wealth
Skin: The Serpentine

Stats: Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves:
Failing Dynasty

In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. The Quetzel Bloodline wants to regain their political clout.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

The Big Reveal
When you reveal your true form to someone, they take a String on you. If they accept your true self, they mark experience. If they reject you, carry 1 forward against them.

Temptation
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be able to reconcile the human and serpent worlds. You can’t live with the lies and insanity any longer. You need to reject one side or the other to escape this madness. Run the gently caress away, hide, return to the bosom of your serpent family or abandon them entirely for the human world. You’ll threaten, hobble or destroy anyone who tries to keep you enmeshed in contradictory obligations. You escape your Darkest Self when you submit yourself to the old obligations once more, or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

History
You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

Harm: ()()()()
XP: ()()()()(Advance)

Conditions:
Carry Forward:
Family Commands:

Strings on: 1 on Anne, 3 on Zoe, 1 on Linda

Place: The Army Surplus Store, for when you seriously want to give kids access to dangerous poo poo. Anyone in this town who owns a gun, or any dumb kid who tries to impress their friends with a knife - they got it from here. It's run by old William Appleby, who's kinda deaf and kinda out of it.

Rumor: They said there used to be a killer in the park nearby. Said he killed two kids when they tried to go swimming in the lake. It's just a story to scare people, but people stay away from the lake in the dark. It's not safe.

Person: There's Miss Angela Dunlop, the school librarian. She insists on wearing this horrible pink cardigan all the time, and the younger kids say she's a witch. No witch with an ounce of self-respect would wear that cardigan, right?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 2, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Anton Ramirez, Ghost

Mom calls me Tony, everyone else, Ant. You know, the helpless bug bored kids pop with a sunlight through a magnifying glass. Dad, last of his bloodline, brought Mom and baby me to Salvation so I could be raised out of the big scary city, where her bad family lived. But dad was called to war, where he died.

I'll never forget the strangers at the memorial reception, stuffing their faces with deviled eggs, telling mom that out here they knew it took a village to raise a child. Since she was one of them, she wouldn't need to worry about me. Bullshit, they just wanted to shut her up, stop the crying. It was easier just to leave our big old house and never come back if they wanted to stop hearing it, so that's what happened.

They didn't help raise me either, unless their parenting guide is a one page pamphlet about tough love. When you cry for help alone in the wilderness it's really just a neon "all you can eat" sign for all the predators. No one's going to go in after you, best case scenario they'll call someone about the noise. Another predator with a badge or diploma (no one has both) will stop by to tell you to shut up. Everybody's got problems, deal with them yourself.

That's what I planned to do. Buy a rope, connect neck to tree branch, jump. But I hit the ground face first, turned around, and saw my body hanging there, grinning at me. It raised a finger and wagged at me. I got so mad, I went to grab a rock to throw at myself. It went straight through the body like a slug through a piñata full of a swarm of fireflies and hornets. When the cloud of bugs cleared the body was gone. That was an hour ago.

For lack of anything better to do, I'm back to errands. I'll hit the ATM, get groceries, then start the car engine when I get home so the battery won't die. More people than normal--actually everyone shoves past me like I'm not even there, forcing me to narrow my profile or step into the street or alley. I stop outside the Cher's Diner and Patisserie like I always do, to look at Sharon, the proprietor, Gasha, the apprentice/cashier, and the treats through the window. This time, I cast no reflection. While I'm frozen, someone walks right through me, making my body tingle with numbness. I drop the grocery bag and they trip over it. I pick it up before they can and they pull a face, then a pocket flask that they swig while speedwalking away.

I just laugh and laugh, for the first time since dad died.

quote:

Name: Anton
Skin: Ghost
Look: Brooding, with piercing eyes
Origin: A confused death

Stats:

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Harm
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone,
you both get to ask a question of one
another’s characters. This can be
spoken by your character, or simply
asked player-to-player. The other person
must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self:

You become invisible. No one can
see you, feel you, or hear your
voice. You can still affct inanimate
objects, but this is your only avenue
of communication. You escape
your Darkest Self when someone
acknowledges your presence, and
demonstrates how much they want
you around.

Moves:

Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame
and trauma of your death onto your
current situation, roll with dark. On
a 10 up, give two people the blamed
condition. On a 7-9, give up to two
people the blamed condition, but for
each, choose one:
} You gain the delusional condition,
} You can’t speak during this scene,
} You suffr one harm,
} You start re-enacting the scene of
your death.

Creep
When you secretly witness someone
in their most intimate moments,
perhaps showering or sleeping, gain
a String on them.

Backstory:

Someone knows that you’re dead,
and how you died. They gain a String
on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s
bedroom while they were sleeping.
Take a String on them.

Strings:

Place: The diner, which attracts all types. Truckers, townies old and young, the spoiled rotten police force, everyone. It's open super late, too, so more often than not some characters will show up after last call at the bar, tell all sorts of crazy stories, hit on the witty waitresses.

Person: I have a special hatred for Dr. Hurst, child psychologist, school counselor, and quack. Tell them anything in confidence, and the whole school will have learned it from the top down by the end of the day. Someone should dig up some of their secrets. Someone like me.

Rumor: One night at the diner a pair of men in suits showed up and one actually got mad at a waitress for shutting them down. He said to the other that he was hungry for something sweet, and they left to go back to "Polly's," which isn't on any map. They paid in 2 dollar bills with different corners torn off, painstakingly stacked, and the manager himself came out from the back, picked it up and put it in an envelope. I think he's dirty, but the waitresses are so clean and nice that no one will listen to anything bad about the place. Maybe they need a dishwasher...

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca
The Queen

Let's get this straight out while we still at the beginning my dad's in tight with the mob, you the original Italian dudes guys in my family go all the way back to Capone's mob. Let's just say daddy was someone back in Chicago. We'd still be there now if that poo poo hadn't gone down and daddy had to get out of town fast. So we turned up here: Salvation, aka America's armpit,the town that committed suicide 50 years ago but still hasn't died. I think dad picked it because it's the last place any cop would look and the local boys in blue supposedly know which side their bread's buttered on. Still this deadbeat town is nothing like the windy city, but thanks to the money daddy showers on me and some of the tricks I picked up from his cronies I can run this school.

quote:

Name: Maria Ricca
Skin: Queen
Look: Domineering, Calculating eyes
Origin: Mafia Princess
Stats:

Hot: 1
Cold: 2
Volatile: 0
Dark: -1

Harm
[x] [x] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:
[] [] [] [] []

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone,
they gain the Condition
one of them.
While the Condition remains, they
count as part of your gang

Darkest Self:

They’ve failed you. This is all their
fault, and there’s no reason why you
should have to suffer the consequences
of their idiocy. You need to make an
example out of each of them, a cruel
and unwavering example. You escape
your Darkest Self when you relinquish
part of your power over to someone
more deserving, or when you destroy
an innocent person in order to prove
your might.

Moves:

The clique.

You’re at the head of the toughest,
coolest, most powerful clique around.
They count as a gang. Choose one of
the following strengths for your gang:

} they’re armed (with guns and real
dangerous stuff)

And Your Enemies Closer
When someone betrays you, gain a
String on them

Streaming

You have a telepathic connection with your gang
members. You can always hear their emotions and fears.
When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss
about it and add 1 to your roll.

Backstory:

Name three NPCs who are members
of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give
them a String on you, and take two
Strings on them.

Advances

-Take a Queen move (streaming)
-Take a Point of cold (+1 to +2 total)

Strings: on/on me

River 2/0
Zoe 0/3
Linda 3/0
Maggie 1/0
Amy 1/0
Jimmy 1/0
Mike 1/0

A Place posted:

There's this really massive and run-down city library built downtown by some dead rich guy back when this was a place people wanted to be. Place is practically deserted most of the time but it's a good place to hang with people and shoot the crap. Plus my dad would never show up there he is very definitely not the literary type.

A person posted:

Theodore is one of the guys who works at the library downtown. He's in his mid 50s but he must still work out because he has one hell of a set of muscles. Anyway one day while I was hanging around there I saw his shirt ride up and he has a sweet collection of prison tats on his back. Bet you there's some kind of story there.

"Rumours" posted:

The gangs that run this town are a nasty bunch with no scruples coulda sworn I saw one of them dealing right outside the school gates. Not a care in the world. I mean come on what kind of lowlife deals to kids?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 1, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson

I have little memory of my real parents. Weird smells and odd symbols and not being allowed to go outside much. I'm told they were in some kind of cult. CPS took me away from them when I was six. No, the first clear memory I have is talking to Uncle Jack. He tells me my parents were great people, wise peope. That they were doing something wonderful, and were stopped by enemies who would now try to turn me against them. That he was sent to watch over me. To be sure I was safe from the enemies of my parents.

So I grew up with Uncle Jack. Living in the group homes, it was easy to believe him that noone was on my side except him. Nothing shocking, just... not a family. I was fostered a few time but... well... it never took. Uncle Jack and I took care of that. I even got put on meds for a while, because they found out I talked to him. So I've been keeping him a secret ever since. Not that it silenced Uncle Jack, it just made me feel like poo poo. So I spent a lot of time going form foster home to group home. Uncle Jack told me that when I became 18, he'd show me a big surprise.

And then, about two years ago the Newlands adopted me. Adption agencies themselves were pretty surprised. Didn't think much of it. Figured it'd just be a change of pace before things got bad. But... they didn't. Me and Uncle Jack tried. I was rude to them, I broke things, I stole from them... but they just...well, they punished me, but they always kept saying they loved me and prayed for me. Uncle Jack was getting angry, telling me to do... worse things. Things that... would probably work. But I don't want to do those.

Maybe I don't want it to be me and Uncle Jack anymore. Maybe these people can be my... new parents. Just thinking it makes uncle Jack tell me how much my mom and dad would weep, and how much they sacrificed for me. But I'm lonely. I'm tired of being lonely. Maybe not everyone is my enemy. So I'm... trying. I've gone to church with them, and I've made a friend in school. It's... it's great. Things I never had. But it's scary, I'm worried that at some point everyone's gonna show how they fooled me and were just pretending and Uncle Jack was right. I'm feeling guilty that I'm betraying my parents. But I'm going to take the chance. I just don't want to be alone anymore.

I just hope Uncle Jack won't do anything... bad.

pre:
    Name: Damien Thompson
    Look: hollow eyes
    Origin: possessed
    Skin: The Shadow
    Shadow Name: Uncle Jack
    Shadow Voice: fathomless voice

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2 

Moves:
 The Passenger
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime
someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. 
When you gaze into the abyss, it’s your Shadow who answers. 

Mine!
When you lash out physically against someone who has a string on you, roll
Dark instead of Volatile.

Whispers in the Dark
When someone with the Shadowed condition gazes into the abyss, you may
answer instead of the MC, and you may lie. This removes the Shadowed
condition from the gazer. This does not require the Shadowed condition if
gaze into the abyss is used to ask questions about you.

Darkest Self
 You’ve let what was outside in, and it isn’t interested in leaving. You have a
ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesn’t like
all the friends and foes you’ve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance
itself from all those connections, and it isn’t afraid to cross as many lines as it
takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if you’ve never 
selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you aren’t behind
the wheel, or when all your strings are gone. 

Sex Move
When you’re intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it,
mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well,
they take 1 harm.

History
    Someone is the first real friend you’ve made. Each of you take a string on
the other. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something you did and they know it. They take a string on you. 
This does not give them the Shadowed condition

Harm: ()()()()
    XP: ()()()()(Advance)

Conditions:
    Carry Forward:
A place in town: Salvation has a small skating park. It's pretty old, and whatever paint is on it has long since worn away, but a lot of kids come there. Surprisingly, they keep it in good shape, seeing after maintenance themselves. It's said that some parents actually put some money forth for it too, even in these hard times, because plenty of them skated on that place too.

Weird rumor: The mine that was the reason this town was here in the first place ran out decades ago, it's true. But they say that back in the 19th century, a prospector came into town claiming he'd found a new vein, and what a vein it was. Sadly, he got into an argument in the city and was shot, and nobody knows where it was. Probably nothing, I mean, with modern technology, they'd have found that vein, right?

A person: Brandon Phelps: Got held back a year, kind of a big strong guy, not really a bully, but definitely short tempered. Has a motorbike and is extremely protective of it. He's constantly flirting with expulsion from the school.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 30, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Third Questions
People don't do a lot of the things you think they should, but nearly everyone disrespects and disobeys their elders at highschool. What did you want to do when one class actually made your old substitute teacher cry, and what did you actually do?

Second Questions
River - The Fae
When you deal justice, do you give out lighter punishments for lighter crimes, or is the important part that they pay in some way, regardless of if they cheated on a test or repeatedly lied and stole? Have you ever felt guilty for the punishment you gave someone after the fact?

OOC Question: Are you interested in having River explore the Fae side of things (ie: Faerie courts, running into other fae beings, that sort of thing) Also, what aspect of the Fae skin are you most exciting about playing?

How are you planning on tracking down a fire-man that explodes buildings? Have you seen its fingerprints, possibly other explosions, anywhere else in town? And what did you do to these other monsters you've seen?

OOC Question: Looking at the moves you took, are you more interested in Anne dealing with the culprit of the explosion as her focus, or it being her background goal she works towards while she deals with a variety of other monsters? Or something else you have in mind.

How long have you been a vampire, and how do you feel about feeding? It looks like you form some kind of bond when you feed, so do you stick to one person at a time, and do you ever go for a snack, no strings attached?

OOC Question: What aspects of vampire myths do you find interesting or not for Emma? Entering buildings, churches, sunlight, siring, etc.

First Questions
Damien Thompson - The Shadow
Having a friend and guardian on call must be nice, especially one you can trust. Actually, can you trust Uncle Jack? What did he lie to you about, that you know of, and how did he defend himself?

Maria Ricca - The Queen
The school might be small stakes, but good training for real life, and the students take it seriously enough. Who was the king or queen of the school before you showed up, and where are they now?

Anton Ramirez - The Ghost
With everyone ignoring you completely, even going so far as to pass right through you, who did you desperately hope would still see you, but didn't, and who did desperately hope wouldn't, but still did?

Just ... a knife, is that really going to help? Your Father seems a bit washed out, just like Salvation. Surely somewhere like New York or DC would be a better place to gain power. Do you know how he plans on regaining the lost power and glory from here, or at least, why he insists on staying?

Mara Yates - The Ghoul
What do you remember about the man who killed you, and when you found someone you thought was him, what did you do? It wasn't, but that hardly matters.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

How are you planning on tracking down a fire-man that explodes buildings? Have you seen its fingerprints, possibly other explosions, anywhere else in town? And what did you do to these other monsters you've seen?

OOC Question: Looking at the moves you took, are you more interested in Anne dealing with the culprit of the explosion as her focus, or it being her background goal she works towards while she deals with a variety of other monsters? Or something else you have in mind.

"There hasn't been another explosion like that since the one that I saw. I spent a lot of time looking out for other fires and reading police reports in case something seemed familiar, but nothing stood out. Just meth labs and arson for insurance. I think...I might have been looking in the wrong direction. Instead of looking forward from the explosion maybe I should look back? If it's an old monster someone might have tried to fight it before."

"The other monsters...mostly I just watch them, try to figure out if they're actually hurting anyone. I can just sort of see them, know that they're different, once they do something, uh, wrong. Not like a crime but like, walking through walls or changing shape. There's more than you'd think, especially for a town like Salvation. I guess they figure that hiding out in a loser town makes them less obvious. I've only had two fights with them for real. The first time I was working a late shift in the diner with the manager Mia Jackson. We had just closed and I was cleaning up when this trailer-park skinhead came in, all meth scabs and cheap tattoos. He pulled a knife and yelled about this place being his territory now, and then I looked at him and he was a dead man who smelled like poison, his flesh splitting whenever he moved. So I hit him in the head with a frying pan until he fell over, took his knife away and stabbed him with it a bunch of times. He didn't bleed. He stayed down, but I don't know if he was dead for real. Mia made me go home, and she didn't speak about it again. The cops didn't show up either."

"The second one was worse. There had been a news report about a man following girls who were out jogging after dark near the railway tracks. I go jogging most days to stay in shape for the track team, so I figured I could change my route and check it out. If it's just some creep, I can call the police, right? If not I thought I'd figure something out. So stupid. Long story short, he saw me first, and clotheslined me as I came round a corner. Nearly broke my neck, knocked the wind out of me. Felt like he was made of stone or something. He starts this big speech about how 'people like you keep chasing me' and we should just leave him alone. I stood up, and he grabbed me and threw me through a window. Abandoned house, thank God. At this point I just ran for it, heading across the tracks towards town. I don't know why he chased me. I don't know why neither of us had noticed the train coming through. It sure as hell didn't notice him. I didn't stay to look for a body. I don't think Dad even saw that I was all cut and bruised."

"Fighting monsters sucks rear end"

OOC Answer: I'd prefer explosion man to be a long-term background threat, and deal with other poo poo for the most part.

Edit: Is the purpose of the "Hit the Books" move to only be used against one big enemy, or whoever is my enemy of the moment?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 28, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

GodFish posted:

Mara Yates - The Ghoul
What do you remember about the man who killed you, and when you found someone you thought was him, what did you do? It wasn't, but that hardly matters.

Aside from the smell? He was wearing one of those Overton Tool and Die uniform jackets. You know the place - lasted a long time, but it shut down ten or fifteen years ago. A lot of the folks who got fired from the lines there still haven't... recovered, so to speak. Green zip-ups made of cheap poly with the name of the company sewn next to the zipper. You still see them occasionally. He had a beard, too. Well, not really a beard, that implies he trimmed and groomed it - more just a profound lack of shaving.

Anyway, I staked out the alley at first, hoping that getting away with my not-murder had made him think it was a safe place. Didn't see any sign of him, though I did get this kind of weird feeling when the cashier got held up a few days in. More on that later - after a week, he was a no show, so I headed down to the trailer park. Call me out on stereotyping, but sure enough, there he was on a set of low trailer steps, with a lighter turning something in a makeshift light bulb pipe into smoke. When he went back inside to grab something, I followed him in.

He didn't recognize me, but I told myself at the time that he was too high or gave too little fucks to do so. I should have known better. But when I came upon him in the kitchen, he was so scared. And I could feel it. When I came up close, he threw a punch that felt like it was hitting someone else. I could feel the impact, but nothing else. No pain, no soreness. I knocked him around for a bit, and when he lost consciousness, I started tearing apart the trailer. I had to find that knife. He had to know exactly what it had been like. But I found nothing. By the time I was done, the pool of blood around his head assured me I wouldn't have to finish the job. Too bad - I had wanted to ask him some things about some old co-workers of his...

OOC: Also updated her family situation near the other app questions, since it's not something she'd discuss in the IC introduction.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Just ... a knife, is that really going to help? Your Father seems a bit washed out, just like Salvation. Surely somewhere like New York or DC would be a better place to gain power. Do you know how he plans on regaining the lost power and glory from here, or at least, why he insists on staying?

"I... I'm not sure I can tell you this. My dad tells me stuff, but not everything. I had to look up some stuff myself. And I can only kinda guess some of it.

My family are old. Like, really old. The way dad talks about it, I think we were around for either the Aztecs or the Mayans. And, uh, if you know anything about them and what they did with knives, well, it's not much of a stretch to imagine what that knife would be for, right? But my dad can't be doing that! They did sacrifices daily, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any rooms in the house for that kind of thing, hahaha. Like, I'd know, right? I'd know if my dad was crazy!

But sometimes dad goes on "trips" to other places, to meet the rest of the family. Aunts and cousins and things. We're all over the place, but we're not like what we used to be. So he goes upstate, or to New York, I have to look after myself for a bit when he's gone. Apparently decisions get made here, and my dad got chosen to do... something. I don't... want to...

Look, my dad's a good guy, okay? He works at the bank and he does long hours and he buys me stuff and he wants me to do well in school! He can't be crazy! I mean, I come home and he asks me how school was and it's not like he talks about trying to make the sun come up every day! He's just... weird! Okay?

Anyway, my family's coming down for Thanksgiving. Want to see how I'm doing. It'll be nice to see them again. Auntie Izzie always has a present for me from Europe or something."

OOC: Michael doesn't want to think his dad's a bad person. He still loves his dad, and has pretty normal interactions with him outside of the commands of his family. There's an obvious conspiracy in his family that he wants to ignore. Salvation was chosen either because it's out of the way and would draw less attention than in a big city like New York, or maybe because his dad's too crazy even for aztec snake people, and the family want him out of the way.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 28, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

GodFish posted:

How long have you been a vampire, and how do you feel about feeding? It looks like you form some kind of bond when you feed, so do you stick to one person at a time, and do you ever go for a snack, no strings attached?

OOC Question: What aspects of vampire myths do you find interesting or not for Emma? Entering buildings, churches, sunlight, siring, etc.

"Well the thing thing I got to explain about us is that we don't live indefinitely. We live a human lifespan, and when we die we get reincarnated on the spot. The cool thing is that we can never truly die. What sucks is that we can get old, and once you're a baby again, it's a lot easier to lock you in a vampire-proof cage. What I'm saying is I lost track of how many times I've been reborn. We keep records of this stuff to make it easier to resume our previous lives, but Dad doesn't want to show me my last life. I bet I was the one bossing him around."

"The feeding is pretty cool, and I want to do it more often, but it's hard to find people who are way too into hickeys, so I stick to one person usually. I lost my bond to the last person I fed on because I took out too much blood. Maybe I'll go after Kyle next."

(OOC Answer: Generally speaking, a lot of the vampire killing stuff that wouldn't normally kill a human being is lethal only in sufficient quatities. e.g. several hours in direct sunlight, holy water is poisonous if a large amount is consumed, etc. Can see reflection, but barely, like trying to see your reflection off of your computer screen. Unusually un-photogenic.)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

GodFish posted:

With everyone ignoring you completely, even going so far as to pass right through you, who did you desperately hope would still see you, but didn't, and who did desperately hope wouldn't, but still did?
Didn't take long to figure out that what I want has nothing to do with who can or can't see me... like always, it's about what other people want. Like, that shrink knocks on our door, I let them in, they walk right past me and call out for mom? Didn't want me around. The couple necking on a park bench, who take a little break to smile right at me, though? They want to be seen.

Sorry. You asked what I want, even though it doesn't matter.

I would think that my own mom would want me visible, but she doesn't. I get groceries and cook and clean, and she says, "thank you tony," to an empty room I've long since left. If I try to talk to her, she doesn't acknowledge me. I don't get it. She knows I'm there but it doesn't bother her that she can't see or hear me? Sometimes I get this thought that I need to stop taking care of her to get noticed, but I can't let her starve, or the house go to poo poo. She'd probably kill herself too.

I still have to run from cops and bullies and poo poo when they're on the hunt, at least until they get tired of chasing me. It's funny in a way, how sometimes I just turn a corner, stop to listen, hear their footsteps slow down, hear them say "he's gone," then I can just turn right around and follow them around. All that's missing is yakety sax, right?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
River - The Fae
When you deal justice, do you give out lighter punishments for lighter crimes, or is the important part that they pay in some way, regardless of if they cheated on a test or repeatedly lied and stole? Have you ever felt guilty for the punishment you gave someone after the fact?

OOC Question: Are you interested in having River explore the Fae side of things (ie: Faerie courts, running into other fae beings, that sort of thing) Also, what aspect of the Fae skin are you most exciting about playing?

"A promise is a promise. It doesn't matter what it was; if you give me your word and you break it, I will set things right. When I first realized I had the power, I'd just hurt people. It was quick and simple and made set the world right. Now, I try to make the punishment fit the crime, trying to make them ironic. You can almost see that more perfect world come through when the irony is just right.

"Do I feel guilty when I punish someone? Does gravity feel guilty when someone falls and breaks a leg? Sure, I can feel bad when someone I like gets hurt or has something go terribly wrong for them. But I don't feel guilty. This is just the nature of things. If you break a promise to me, you'll pay the price. It's nothing to feel guilty about...

"Ok, I do feel guilty sometimes, and sometimes I try to let broken promises go. But its so hard. They don't know what it's like when they do that to me, and they never stop at one. They keep doing it and it builds up till I can't stop myself and that's when it gets real bad."

OOC Answer: I'm definitely interested in exploring the fae side of things as the character develops. He doesn't currently identify himself as a Fae, but it would be great if he could discover what he really is and learn more about the fae world as a side plot. I would be interested in eventually getting the Beyond the Veil and Guide move, but only if it wouldn't be detrimental to the game.

What I like about the fae is the alternative rules that governs their behavior and trying to maintain your relationships despite that. Other people can temper their reactions to a broken promise by considering the circumstances and the nature of the promise. But to a fae it doesn't matter. It's still a broken promise. A normal, emphatic person could never really understand that or why the fae must always set things right.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

First Questions

Maria Ricca - The Queen
The school might be small stakes, but good training for real life, and the students take it seriously enough. Who was the king or queen of the school before you showed up, and where are they now?

That used to be Andy "The Duke" Thompson. He was the schools star quarterback and thought that made him the big guy on campus. I remember when we first moved here he tried hitting on me and I turned him down, him and his crew called me a "frigid Chicago bitch." So I got annoyed. Well what happened later was the school found out Andy had bags of weed in his locker and all hell broke lose, Andy swore they weren't his but who else could've put them there if not him? Did you know Andy's dad was a retired marine drill sergeant? he totally freaked and packed Andy off to some military academy somewhere hope that rear end in a top hat enjoys getting up at 5am with nothing to look at but other men. Me? I have no idea how they got there, I was in class all day and plenty of people can confirm it.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

GodFish posted:

Third Questions
People don't do a lot of the things you think they should, but nearly everyone disrespects and disobeys their elders at highschool. What did you want to do when one class actually made your old substitute teacher cry, and what did you actually do?

"I just wanted to make them stop. I tried to tell them to leave her alone, but they were all yelling so loud that only the guy next to me heard me and he just told me to shut up. It was awful. I tried to talk to her after class to tell her that I thought she was still a good teacher, but she was... well, she was still crying, and I think she just wanted to be left alone.

I don't think I like high school very much."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

GodFish posted:

Having a friend and guardian on call must be nice, especially one you can trust. Actually, can you trust Uncle Jack? What did he lie to you about, that you know of, and how did he defend himself?

I don't know if I'd have made it this far without Uncle Jack. Everyone always avoided me, so often, he was the only one I could talk to. He's the only link I have to my parents, and he feels I'm special and I'm not just... a troublesome issue. And he tells me things. Things that I later found out were true and I couldn't have known, so I know I'm not going nuts or something.

But he told me about Michael and Sara, my... foster parents, he told me they were only being nice to me because they were being paid to. Because the enemies of my parents wanted to keep an eye on me, because they were afraid of me. But... you know how I stole form them sometimes? At some point I broke into Michael's desk and thought I'd steal things there. But they're not getting any money for me. In fact, they're... doing pretty badly on money in general. Mostly because... well, I stole things, and I caused some damage and... Michael works for the local fire department and Sara is a part-time kindergarten teacher. It's not.. huge money.

I got angry at Uncle Jack, but he told me he just wanted to keep me from getting hurt. That I'm risking my whole life and the destiny there is for me if I let them get to me. That these people love only what they think I am, but that they'll turn against me once I... will show my true self. He sounded calm, a little sad even, but so sure of himself. Sometimes I still wonder if he's right.

But no. I've got to at least give this a try. I know that Uncle Jack means the best for me. I really do, but he doesn't know everything, right?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Due to internet trouble, the next set of questions will be out tomorrow when I'm not phone-posting.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang, the Cuckoo

I don't have any special place in my family. I'm not the youngest, since that goes to my sister Suzie, born just a few years after me. And I'm not even the oldest, because that goes to my other sister, Maggie. She just happened to come out a few minutes after I did. And she never stops reminding me that.

We're twins, but I've never seen anyone look at me and Maggie the same way. She's got the looks, the charisma, and the popularity. She has the cheer squad around her finger and a steady boyfriend. Me, I'm the guy people only remember whenever their computer catches a virus or they got math to solve. I can speak up on my own, I have things I want to share, but I'm not the one people listen to. Ask anyone, it's her they know about. It's always Maggie.

And I'm like, I don't hate her for it. It's not her loving fault and maybe I'm just bummed because I'm a little jealous? I don't know. All I'm sure of is that she's got so many things I don't. And I'm pretty sure I should deserve some of those things too. I just wish we were more the same, you know? Like real twins? Only I get to be pretty too and popular and... gently caress... I thought I was over this.

Sure, I thought about that sorta thing a lot, but I thought it was because I wanted to be like my sister and not just... I was in her closet while she was out, alright? I just wanted to try something on, and... I wondered if it would look good on me too. And it did. Just... not in the way I thought. I looked at myself in the mirror, with her cheerleader outfit, and no way that I shrunk to her size and with her face in a blink. I didn't loving believe it.

And it wasn't just her, I found out. I tried other people's clothes. Never without asking. I walked on that guy's shoes. And saw with that goth's eyes. And kissed with their lips. And everything in between. I... really liked it, even though I'm still wondering what the gently caress is going on with me.

Maggie is still looking for those blouses, her favorite jeans, and those cute pair of boots. She doesn't even think about asking me. I wouldn't have the heart to answer, either.

quote:

Look/Origin
eclectic, tempting eyes, middle child

Stats
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves
Feathers
Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below. On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
• The magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
• The magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.
While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. Physical Conditions still stick to you. Anyone who takes Feathers also gets Shredding the Looking Glass.

Shredding the Looking Glass
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
• tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
• or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

Close To The Sun
When someone suspects that you're not who you appear to be, mark experience.

A Little Bird Told Me
When you blab vicious lies about someone behind their back, roll with cold. On a 10 up, give them a Condition. • On a 7-9, give them a Condition, but some people don't believe you, so gain the Condition liar.

Outfits
TBA

Other app things when it isn't 2AM. :ohdear:

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 24, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Dear Diary

Hey, Diary.

The nurses said I should keep a journal in case I have trouble remembering things. They’re worried that I have brain damage. Most people who spend six weeks in a coma do. But I remember what happened. I remember the brake pedal not working and the car going through the guard rail into the ravine. The crunch of metal and shattered safety glass. Breathing, just breathing, for a long time. I focused on that. Counting heartbeats, counting breaths. Waiting for them to stop.

Everyone keeps telling me that it’s a miracle that I’m alive. The funny thing is they’re right. My guardian angel, Remiel, was watching over me that night. He interceded on my behalf.

Interceded… I don’t think I even knew what that meant before. There’s a lot of things I didn’t know.

They say you can hear people, feel their touch, when you’re in a coma. I didn’t. Not until Remiel took my hand. He pressed his over my heart and my forehead. I could feel how warm he was. I thought he was coming to take me away.

He didn’t. I woke up that morning. Remiel used his Grace to save me, to heal me. He wasn’t supposed to do that. An angel’s Grace is more than just power, it’s what they’re made of. By giving it to me, Remiel changed me. Made himself part of me.

I’m not missing memories. I’ve got too many.

I’m still Zoe Haven. That’s what I keep telling myself. But everything looks different now. I feel like I’m experiencing everything for the first time, because the part of me that’s Remiel IS experiencing it for the first time. It’s not like I’m possessed, or he’s talking to me. He’s just… part of me now. I can feel the weight of his responsibilities. His sadness. What I am now isn’t what I was supposed to be. This wasn’t God’s Plan.

The first night after I woke up in the hospital, I had a Visitor. Capital V, from Capital G-o-d. I couldn’t really see him, just a glow out of the corner of my eyes. He told me that I had to make up for Remiel’s sin. I had to be a good person and earn my wings, or when I die…

Well, everyone knows what happens to angels who break the rules.

The hospital bills cost more than sending me to college would have, and it’s not like we had the money to do that. Dad works overtime so much that I barely ever see him anymore, and on the weekends he drinks and melts into the TV. We used to do stuff together, hang out. He’s the only family I have. I think he knows there’s something wrong- or at least different- about me. I try to help out around the house and do the shopping so he doesn’t have to. He still trusts me to do that much, even if he won’t let me drive his car.

I missed a couple months of school because of the accident, so I'm playing catchup and the teachers keep threatening to hold me back a year. I feel like my life can’t even start until I get out of high school so I’ve been working my rear end off. At least I still get to skip gym class.

I guess that’s all I can think of for now Diary. Talk to you later.

-Zoe

quote:

Name: Zoe Haven, The Angel
Look: Tentative, Bright Eyes
Origin: Path to Redemption

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: 1
Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0

Harm:
O O O O

Conditions:

Experience:
O O O O O

Strings:
Zoe >> Maria (2)

River >> Zoe (1)
Zoe >> River (1)

Anne >> Zoe (1)
Zoe >> Anne (1)

Linda >> Zoe (1)

Zoe >> Matt (1)

NPCS:
Mrs. Salvador >> Zoe (1)

Moves:
Cast from Heaven-You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Halo- When you turn someone on roll with Forgiveness.

Gaze Into Heaven-When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. • On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. • On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

First Advance: Angel Move- Smiting

Sex Move:
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose on Earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self:
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and independence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Backstory:
The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

City Creation:

Person: "Mr. Hollingsworth is the Biology and Chemisty teacher and the guy who always ends up in charge of school events like the Homecoming floats. He's really into science. We get the best demonstrations. Fire, ice cream, balloons, dry ice, you name it. He's young for a teacher, and he's really nice. But sometimes when he's by himself, like at lunch? He looks really sad. I wonder why?"

Place: "There's an old Drive In movie theater that's still showing movies on the edge of town. I used to go see scary movies with my Dad there, but we haven't gone in a while. They usually play double features for the same price as a normal movie ticket! Sometimes they show older movies too. A lot of the Seniors go there to make out."

Rumor: "The McDonald's by the school is kind of run down and gross, and a kid disappeared from the play area when his mom was in the bathroom once. I don't think the police ever found him, he just ended up on a milk carton. The creepiest part is that I've heard that place has a 'secret menu' if you go after dark. What the hell would they put on a secret menu at McDonald's, expired McRibs?"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 13, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Third Questions
River - The Fae
Have you ever broken a promise? If you have, what happened, and if you haven't, what do you think would happen if you did?

What is life like for you at school, and how has it changed since the incident?

You can use Hit the Books for any enemy of the moment, yeah

You've caught someone's eye at school that you aren't interested in, what have you been doing to intentionally lead them on?

Second Questions
What happened when you tried to find your real parents? Did Uncle Jack help you or try to stop you?

OOC Question: I've never seen the Shadow in play before, what kinds of things are you looking for?

Maria Ricca - The Queen
A good Queen has to do more than smite her enemies though, how have you improved the school since you arrived, aside from gracing it with your presence, I mean?

OOC Question: Considering the move "And Your Enemies Closer" are you more interest in betrayal from people trying to usurp your position at the head of the gang, or trying to destroy the gang as a whole, or something else?

It sounds like life(?) sucks for you even more than it did before, but what are some positives you've managed to squeeze out of it?

OOC Question: What aspects of the Ghost are you most interested in exploring?

Despite your Father's wishes, you've made friend at school. Tell me about her.

OOC Question: What sort of requests do you think would be the most interesting for Matthew to try and carry out, in general?

Mara Yates - The Ghoul
After you came back, things changed a bit. What cornerstone of your old life have you left behind while you address your new needs?

OOC Question: What aspect of the Ghoul are you most interested to explore?

First Questions
Zoe Haven - The Angel
How are you planning on getting back (Remiel back?) into heaven? What do you have to do to be forgiven?

Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo
Do you have a favorite 'outfit' to wear? Or do you prefer playing it fast and loose with who you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Jean Dupont, the Deep One Serpentine

I’ve been having some weird dreams lately. Well, one weird dream. I’ve just had it four times now. I’m standing on the bottom of the ocean. Not drowning or swimming or anything, just standing there. My grandpa on my mother’s side was there too. He was talking to me, but I couldn’t understand a word of what he was saying. Eventually he just pointed in another direction, and when I tried to see what he was pointing at I… Well, I woke up. Weird, huh?

I’m not even sure why I was dreaming of Grandpa in the first place. It’s not like I’ve ever met him. I don’t think Mom’s ever really met him either. I think he left town when she was still pretty young, but I can’t be sure. No one really wants to talk about him around here. I’ve tried asking about him at the last family get-together, but everyone just tells me I don’t want to know about “his people” and leaves it at that. He must have been a real bad guy, if everyone hates mentioning him that much…

I’m sorry, I’m just rambling now. I mean, it’s just a few bad dreams, it’s not something worth worrying about. I just need to buckle down and get my head screwed on straight again and everything can go back to normal. It’s fine.

quote:

Look: Scared, deep eyes
Origin: Like Grandpa

Stats
Hot -1
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark +2

Moves
Masquerade: You have a True Nature - that of a Deep One. If someone learns your True Nature in your presence gain 1XP. A PC who knows gains 1 to all rolls against you, while an NPC that learns may immediately make a hard move and gains a string against you.

When you take a season advance you may End the Masquerade and replace Masquerade with any advance. You may trade both Sex Move and Darkest Self with your cover skin. After you Ended the Masquerade the first time you meet:
-Any PC who knew your True Nature, you can thank them and give them 1 XP and 1 forward or not.
-Any NPC that knew you but not your True Nature may immediately make a hard move.

Passing: Choose one move from another skin. The skin this move belonged to becomes your Cover Skin.
-Patience Is A Virtue: When you bite your tongue and don’t respond to adversity, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one: gain a String on them; they gain the Condition snake food. On a 7-9 they gain the Condition snake food.

Unnatural Desires: Whenever you roll to Turn Someone On, roll with dark.

Backstory
You revealed your True Nature to someone. They gain two strings on you.
You are terrified of someone finding out. They gain two strings on you.
You are used to secrets and lies. Gain one string on everyone.

Sex Move
If you haven’t done so, reveal your True Nature to that person. If they accept you, give them a string and they choose one condition you get to remove. If you disgust them, give them two strings and take 1 forward to moving against them.

Darkest Self
Do they know? Your True Nature and the thought of keeping it secret consumes you. You need to find out who knows, and to make sure they won’t tell. And do anything to make sure the secret won’t get out - or if it does make sure they look anywhere but at you. The concept of protesting too much does not occur to you. You escape your darkest self when you think no one knows or when someone who knows offers you acceptance.

A Person posted:

Harry is a real di-I’m sorry, ‘Officer Dupont’ is a real dick. He was a dick when I was a kid, he’s a dick now. I know I shouldn’t talk that about a police officer, and I know I shouldn’t talk that way about my brother, but he’s a dick. I mean, he made fun of me when he was 16 and I was 8, he makes fun of me when he’s 24 and I’m 16, he’ll probably make fun of me when he’s 88 and I’m 80. It’d be fine if I could avoid him, but he keeps showing up at school for those DARE presentations and safety announcements and I can’t just not talk to him and… I’m probably talking this up too much. Don’t worry about it, it’s nothing I can’t deal with.

A Place posted:

Silver Lake? Oh, that place is great. It’s named after the mines that used to be out that way, but if the sun hits it just right it it just looks amazing. Most people just sneak out there to get drunk and party where people can’t see them, but I always liked swimming out there. Just dive down deep and see how long I could stay down there. I lasted longer than anyone else who tried, I’ll tell you that much…

Oh, uh, I haven’t really gone out there lately. I just haven’t felt like swimming, you know?

A… Thing? posted:

So, you know how that fishing tourney got cancelled for the first time in like forty years last week? They said that there just aren’t enough fish to catch down there, but my uncle Ike’s one of the judges and he says that they caught something, but it sure as hell wasn’t a fish.

Some OOC notes:
One, before anyone asks, I already cleared this skin with Godfish. They’re not sure about some of the moves, but I’m not planning on taking them so it should balance out in the end.
Two, this skin was made by neonchameleon, which means the designer could be looking at this post I figured I should credit them, since they post around here and all.

The third note is specifically for The Deleter: If I ever edge a bit too far into Serpentine territory, just tell me and I’ll dial it back. You’re the kid from a toxic family (who is also a snake-person) here, I’m just a deeply closeted guy that’s trying to make people think he’s just a kid from a toxic family. I think we’ll be fine, since it looks like we’re focusing on different parts of the skin and I’m only kind of a Serpentine in the first place. but it’s still worth thinking about. (Also, if we both get in we need to figure out how to handle both of us possibly applying snake food and all the other thematic stuff that comes with two people tapping into the same pool of moves, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 30, 2014

• Locked thread