Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4
Everybody: What does someone who isn't your friend at school say about you, behind your back or in front of it?

"Hah, oh Damien. Best keep your hands on your pockets. Kind of a loser. lovely grades, no friends and I heard he's got sticky fingers. He's adopted, and from what I've heard, he's been going through foster parents like tissue paper. Probably not worth it trying to get to know him. 50-50 odds he's expelled or moving out before the end of the year. Probably not all rightin the head too. I heard Mick heard him talking to himself in the loo. He's probably on something. Hah, maybe they should go through his locker at some point, he can join Chris, Andy and Mark."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4
Everybody: What does someone who isn't your friend at school say about you, behind your back or in front of it?
Anton Ramirez - The Ghost

"Are you "Ant" or are you "Can't," caught on when I got beat up without fighting back...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews, the Chosen

"I heard that her dad hits her like, all the time. She shows up to school sometimes looking like she was in a car accident or something. It's really sad the way she stands by him."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

Maria Ricca - The Queen

The new girl? from Chicago right? Can't say I know her that well, but my friend in class had a problem and she sorted it out for him with no fuss. Has what's her face following her around along with slim and fat she even turned them into decent guys.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

Matthew Ortiz, the Serpentine

Well that's... basically everybody. But they mostly just call me the weird kid with the rich parents. That's not a problem.

But sometimes I went to the games club, where we play all the usual nerd crap, right? Magic and all that stuff. I'm kind of an outsider there. And there was this guy, Mark, who was in the year above me, and who was meant to be really good. So I sat opposite this guy, all acne and sweat, and I beat him. He flipped the gently caress out. Sooo, I don't go to games club anymore. And Mark's the head nerd around here, so everyone thinks I cheated and I'm an rear end in a top hat.

I didn't cheat. He just wasn't very good. Should I have let him win? What did I do wrong?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Shogeton posted:

We are the narc-iest bunch of monster to ever have narced. You'd think people would stop putting weed in their lockers. Angels, dragons and queens just hate weed I guess.
Well, poo poo. I really need to start reading other peoples' submissions more carefully before selections.

Sorry.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

"Mara? Walking trailer park sterotype, man. The only reason that she isn't pregnant with her fourth kid right now is because she bats for the other team. Ugh."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

Adrian? What, the choir boy? Lucky you that he even talked to you, he doesn't usually deign to interact with us mere mortals. God, I want to throw a brick at his stupid smug face. Oh, and make sure you don't smoke or anything in front of him, he's a complete teacher's pet. It's no wonder he doesn't have any friends.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GodFish posted:

Third Question
Jean Dupont - The Deep OneSerpentine
What is life like for you at home? Your family must be a bit racist (or classist I suppose) if they won't even talk about your grandpa because he isn't their kind of person, but is it prejudice from safe superiority, or salted by humiliation?

My family's not racist. It's just... What you have to understand is that the Duponts have been in Salvation for a long time. A really long time. "There when the town was founded" long. I guess you could call us a pillar of the community. We have standards to live up to, and we hold other people to them. Dad's been saying this town's gone downhill since his days and that old money doesn't go as far as it did in the old days, but we still have standards. Grandpa just... didn't live up to them, I guess.

It does sound kind of racist when you say it like that, though.

OOC: Honestly, the main reason I took the Serpentine as my cover skin is so I could have a prearranged group of people that hate fish people without having to establish too much about deep ones at the start. It helps that it fits thematically with the Deep One pretty well.

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

"I'm not sure if we should invite Jean. I heard he's kind of, you know, fruity."

Also, if anyone decides to call Jean Jean-the-girl's-name, let's just agree to write it Jeanne so people can actually tell that it's being pronounced differently. Mentioning it here because it's kind of the obvious insult to go for, even if I couldn't figure out a way to work it into something people would say behind his back.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

Brandon, while practicing for a musical:

"Look man, I know I don't really know you that well and you didn't ask me for advice, but I wouldn't mess around as much with these girls. Yeah, you're hot and all and I can see how they throw themselves at you, but I know for a fact Katie is dating a football player and he'll mess you up if he finds out you two made out. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Can you show me how to do those last few steps?"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

"Emma...Emma...that's the weird emo chick who talks about fanfiction, right? I don't think she knows how to use makeup. Or write. Or act like a normal person. I hear she writes stories about other students doing it. Her family's pretty easy on the eye, though. The dad sort of reminds of that actor who was in Rocky Horror and then went to be in a lot of kid's stuff. Jim Carrey? And her brother looks okay, too."

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 3, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Re: Narc'iest bunch of Narcs- I guess we are! Woops. My guy is still at school but no one has any respect for him anymore. Military school for a pack of weed is a little extreme!

Behind the Angel's Back:

"She used to be a lot more fun before she drove her dad's car off a cliff."

"I heard she's been skipping gym because she doesn't want anyone to see all the surgery scars in the locker room."

"She was carrying a bible around yesterday and I think I saw a cross pendant. Didn't know she was one of those Jesus Freaks. Ugh."

"She's super nice... but um, really hard to argue with, you know? Thinks she's always right."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

GodFish posted:

Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo
Has being someone else ever been worse than being yourself? What was the absolute best moment you had in someone else's clothes?

OOC Question: You picked Close to the Sun, what aspect of flirting with the risk of being caught are you the most interested in?

I tried to mess around with someone's life once. That rear end in a top hat Rico, he's been giving me poo poo since last year. I don't even know what the gently caress why. He left poo poo in my locker, threw water from a bucket at me, shoved me outta the lunch line way too many times. I didn't have a reason to like him. And I had a good way to throw it all back at him.

He was tough. He had a lot of friends around him. I wanted to find something vulnerable about him that I could have exploited. So I went around as him for a while, hung out with his friends, went to his house, dealt with some of his poo poo. Then I learned some ugly things about him. On how he almost got busted for keeping drugs. How his dad usually comes at night with a belt, too much to drink, and a lot of pent-up anger from work. How he never stays at home because of that (her mom was really surprised to see "me" come in), and just lashes out at anything weaker than him. gently caress. Almost felt bad at him enough to call off the whole thing.

Then he came up to me once and tried to force me into doing some dangerous poo poo with him. He had a bat to make me compliant. And I told him that I was gonna bring up the hash that I knew he was keeping for a friend if he tried anything. He's leaving me alone for now. Ugh.

So uh, the best moment was probably the second time I went as my sister. Here, I planned things a bit more carefully. She needed to stay over her friend's place really late for a project, that gave me a window to go around the mall in that new dress of hers. So I did. Hung around, bought some tech magazines, checked out some new albums, even met up and had dinner with a friend. Well, Denny was a family friend of ours, but he was always a lot more chattier around Maggie. No different here. I didn't even know he worked in marketing until he brought it up!

What I noticed the most was how people kept looking at me. I drew attention just walking around. God, I felt so nervous that time. But uh, it also felt nice. I don't think I'd want this kind of attention all the time, I couldn't imagine Maggie wanting it either. But sometimes it's just nice to be... noticed, I guess. And have people see me in different ways that I could express now.

There's one thing I know for sure now. See, Maggie and I used to look alike when we were kids. We're a bit farther apart from each other now, but... I look at myself in the mirror as her. With the pink dress and shoes, glasses, and everything else. There's so many people I could be, but I can take a look at that and say, yeah, this is me. This is me.

OOC: I'd like to play up having to lie my way out of an awkward situation, even if it means burning whoever I'm passing as. And yeah, I'm pretty much open to the possibility of having to expose my powers to other people often. Jamie is a bit sloppy and a Cuckoo would stop being fun if they could avoid being caught forever. :P

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Third Question
Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo
Who were you with, and what were you doing the first time your magic failed in front of someone? And uh, what was the aftermath?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

GodFish posted:

Third Question
Linda Mills - The Wyrm
Someone has stubbornly resisted all your attempts to 'collect' them, what do you want from them, and why do you think they're refusing you?
Melody Sanders is, uh... well, she's pretty popular, and she's on all kinds of sports teams, and she knows a lot of, uh... her father is, you know...

Okay, I just kind of think she's cool, alright? Like, she'd be... fun to spend time with. Shut up. I can see you smirking at me. I'm allowed to just like someone, you know!

But, yeah. Nothing I'm doing is working here. I think maybe she just doesn't like me that much? I'm probably just not cool or outgoing enough. I guess I should probably just give it a rest before I embarrass myself anymore than I already have.

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

"How is she not dead from a caffeine overdose or something? What does she drink, like, fifteen cups of that stuff a day?"

"I know some people say she's kind of nice, but, uh... you ever pick up like, a weird, scary vibe from her? Like she's basically just thinking about how much she could get for your kidneys on the black market or whatever?"

"Have you ever had to work on a project with that Linda chick? HUGE control freak. Where'd her parents get her from, North Korea?"
(I'm Chinese, you loving racist)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

GodFish posted:

Third Question
Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo
Who were you with, and what were you doing the first time your magic failed in front of someone? And uh, what was the aftermath?

Look, I wasn't trying to gently caress around with Nina or anything. Not in a bad way... not in what you might be thinking. She's my best friend and I figure if I can fool her as someone else, I can fool anyone. It's something I needed to do. So I dressed up as our classmate, Aileen, a nerdy girl with a nervous tic. I wanted to ask for help with homework and see how far I could go with that.

Didn't take long for her to see through me. Like, I guess she could just see something wrong with the act. Maybe I didn't play up Aileen enough. Maybe I had too much of my own habits come out in my act. It could have been both. Whatever the case, she saw a crack in my magic, I guess. If she had gotten her hands on it, she would torn my clothes apart. And in the middle of the hallway.

I had to come clean. I told her everything, I didn't have a choice! After the shock died down (I had to show her again how it worked), Nina got really upset at what I tried to do. Tried to tell her that I wouldn't have done it if I couldn't trust her with this. Which was true, mind you. That calmed her down a bit. I don't think she really trusts me yet, but she at least promised to keep quiet.

I heard that she's gotten a little paranoid with other people, though. Especially when I'm not around. I'm not sure what to say about that.

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4

"Oh, that guy. Uh, Maggie's brother, right? I guess he's nice? I don't know anything about him, though."

"I bet he's the reason why our class is missing clothes. You know I saw him walk out of the girl's locker room? loving perv."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Alright, you all made doing picks really hard, seven was as high as I was willing to go for my first time running it. If you didn't make it in, please don't feel bad, I wanted to take everybody :smith:

The Cast:
1. Anne Andrews - The Chosen, thatbastardken
2. River - The Fae, walruscat
3. Maria Ricca - The Queen, Ferrosol
4. Matthew Oritz - The Serpentine, The Deleter
5. Zoe Haven - The Angel, mistaya
6. Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo, TurninTrix
7. Linda Mills - The Wyrm, Gazetteer

Everybody who got in, now is the time to start working out your backstory strings with each other, please post at least the final versions of your string sheets here, and keep track of them during gameplay either from the string post or from your character sheet.

Also, I have some more questions for you all

Group Discussion Questions
Where is Salvation located?
What industry supported the local economy before it backed out, dried out or ran out?
What is the school mascot and colors?
What grade are you all in?
What time of the school year is it?

Then if everyone could provide where you live (house, apartment, mansion, etc) and the state of your family (who lives with you, who lives elsewhere and who doesn't live at all) and finally let me know if I missed any rumors or locations established in your posts.

Rumors:
- mass grave in hill, former mine, haunted by miners
- residents of the commune are a cult
- local gangs are extra bad, deal right outside school
- killer in the park, killed two kids in the lake
- kid missing in mcdonald's, has a 'secret' menu.
- animals have gone missing across town, latest being a mastiff

Locations:
- The School
- The Old Plant (shut down for a few years, site of explosion and mysterious flame thing. good makeout spot)
- Diner (owned by Mia Jackson, Anne works there part time?)
- Railway (frequent spot of runners. Still active?)
- The Echo (dive bar in bad part of town, doesn't card)
- The Commune (commune located on an old far at the edge of town, possibly a cult)
- The Library (giant building from the better days of the town, rarely used)
- Army Surplus Store (guns, knives, you name it. Easy access for kids)
- The Park (has a lake, potential location of a killer)
- Drive in Theater (shows double features, old films. popular date spot for teens)
- McDonald's (seedy, may have a secret menu and missing kids)
- Morgan's House of Teas (British tea shop, great variety, may sell stranger goods)

NPCs
Students
- Matt Collins (Anne's old best friend, blames her father for the explosion, got into a fight with Anne)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Slim" Michael O'Reilly (Maria's gang, proud Irish heritage, good at sneaking)
- "Fat Jimmy" James Johnson (Maria's gang, big, clumsy, accidentally hurts people, puppydogs Maria)
- Amy Johnson (Maria's gang, James' twin, smart, popular, actually friends with Maria)
- August (tall thin and pale, new age druidy type, likes myths, smiled at Matthew once!)
- Tammy Slaughter (shy, good at school bad at life, likes Brad. Linda helped her out)
- Brad (douchey hipster type. Possibly fated to that life by name)
- Chris Hatcher (narced on by Linda for 'stealing' one of her tea sets. Expelled, possibly in jail?)
- Melody Sanders (popular, pretty, smart, athletic, has it all, immune to Linda's charms?)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Rico (rear end in a top hat, bully. Abusive father, rarely goes home. Bullied Jamie until threatened with narcing)
- Aileen (nerdy girl, nervous tick)
- Mike (former foster brother of River, stole money and broke both legs)
- Nina (Jamie's best friend, saw through his disguise, paranoid of being tricked)
- Cody (threw a big party)
- Natalie (creeped on by Mark, gave Zoe her phone dangle for help)
- Mark (creeped/spread rumors about Natalie, got narced by someone (Zoe))
- Mark (head nerd, flipped out when Matthew 'cheated' to win their game, possibly the same Mark)
- Andy Thompson (former Duke of the school, narced and sent to military school by Maria)

Teachers/Staff
- Mr. Hollingsworth (Bio/Chem teacher, young, nice, looks alone and sad. Runs big school events)
- Miss Angela Dunlop (Librarian, a witch? wears horrible pink cardigan)
- Ms. Grey (School Councilor, talks British, has a PHD and is way too good for the job)
- Mr. Hill (Custodian, Mr. Andrews only friend left, cool guy, used to be in the marines)

Family
- Mr. Andrews (Anne's father, former workers rights advocate, injured in explosion, dead inside)
- Ms. Andrews (Anne's mother, left town, invites Anne to live with her once in awhile)
- Mrs. Jayne Smith (River's foster mother, perfect housewife)
- Mr. John Smith (River's foster father, businessman, travels a lot)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Little Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's older brother, wants to go to college and get a good job)
- "Big Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's father, big man in the Chicago mob, had to leave fast, wants his son to - - follow his footsteps and have the perfect daughter)
- Bella Ricca (Maria's mother, didn't transition well, on the road to alcoholism)
- Hugo Ortiz (Matthew's Grandfather, head of the family. Mega-rich, has plans for Matthew, wants him to do - well)
- Charles Ortiz (Matthew's father, goes on about glory days, rich, works at bank)
- Aunt Izzie (Matthew's aunt, brings gifts when she visits)
- Aunt Josie (Zoe's aunt, has a dog)
- Daniel Haven (Zoe's father, works overtime, drinks at home, Very Disappointed)
- Mrs. Haven (died of medical condition, probably cancer)
- Mr. Chang (Jamie's father)
- Mrs. Chang (Jamie's mother)
- Grandpa Chang (Jamie's grandfather)
- Grandma Chang (Jamie's grandmother)
- Uncle Chang (Jamie's uncle, lives elsewhere, visits on holidays)
- Aunt Chang (Jamie's aunt, lives in an apartment in Salvation)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Susie Chang (Jamie's younger sister)
- Ms. Mills (Linda's mother, Lawyer, embarrassingly happily married)
- Mr. Mills (Linda's father, Accountant, embarrassingly happily married)
- Gary Mills (Linda's younger brother, ten)

Others
- Mia Jackson (runs a diner Anne does part time work at, witnessed a monster attack)
- Theodore (works at the library, 50, works out. Has a bunch of prison tattoos)
- Mrs. Groverstein (mother of "the terrible tots")
- The Visitor (From Heaven, possibly the one in charge of the Zoe Haven/Remiel case)
- George Stacks (businessman and loan shark, owns large part of low income real estate, ties to org crime?)
- Mr. Morgan (British, owns Morgan's House of Teas, possibly deals other substances)
- Denny (family friend of the Changs, works in marketing, friendlier around Maggie)
- Mr. Thompson (Andy "The Duke" Thompson's father, retired military, sent son to army school after narced)

Homes
- The Changs (Large, middle class home has seen better days, in a nice part of town, houses seven)
- The Andrews (Slightly run down two story house in a could be worse part of town)
- The Smiths (Nice house big enough for five, two cars)
- The Havens (Trailer on small plot. Nice, but second hand)
- The Oritzs (Large house in affluent neighborhood)
- The Riccas (Little house in the suburbs)
- The Mills (Comfortable two story house with typical upper-middle class amenities)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 6, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a
String on each.

Michael O'Reilly "AKA Slim"
His family have been kicking round Salvation for years and if the name doesn't give you a clue they're very proud of their Irish heritage. Urban legend has it that Mike's dad was big in NORAID back in the 80s. Mike used to be a bit of a tearaway when he was a kid always eager to get into places where he shouldn't be not usually to steal anything just for the challenge of getting away with it. Since he started hanging around with Maria she's found more constructive uses for his talents been a good influence on him and his bad reputation has calmed down a little to the relief of his parents.

James "Jimmy" Johnson "AKA Fat"
There's one in every school. You know the big kid not malicious or anything who tries to fit in. He's just clumsy ya know, the toys he tried to play with got broken, the games in the playground got a little rough. He never really meant to hurt anyone it's just he's a little awkward and finds it hard to express himself. Since Maria cleaned up a few issues for him in the summer he follows her around with puppydog like devotion.

Amy Johnson
James's twin sister. While James got twice the brawn of a normal kid his age Amy got twice the brains. She floats through school getting good grades without ever seeming to have to work at it. She's popular with everyone despite not being a member of any of the cliques and even the teachers don't have a bad word to say about her. She's also probably Maria's only genuine friend as she was one of the few to give her the time of day when Andy turned her name to mud and no one wanted to associate with the "Chicago girl." Maria would sort out her problems for free if she had any....

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you,
and take two Strings on them.

going with Linda if that's ok with Gazetteer. If not I can edit it out.

"I don't like that Mills' chick. I've seen the way she eyes up everyone in the school as if we're all her playthings to be pushed this way and that. This school is my turf and if she wants to take it from me she's gonna have the fight of her life. Let's get started boys and girls."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

This one was tricky because Anne isn't a seasoned monster slayer with a support network, she's just getting started. Opted for the two who I thought would be most likely to have offered some kind of help

The day after I first fought a monster I was pretty freaked out. Partly because of the violence, the thought that I might have killed someone. Partly because of how much I enjoyed it. So when I had a spare moment I went to church. It felt a little weird, my family aren't really religious and I don't know what I though would happen - some cliche confessional scene with a wise old priest? We're not even Catholic. Anyway, the door was open and I went and sat down, just thinking about what had happened, when this girl came over and sat next to me. I didn't spill my guts or anything, but we talked for a while about...feelings, and doubts. She was a really good listener, and if I had to talk about my problems I think I could trust her.

Gain one string on Zoe Haven

I shouldn't get along with Ortiz. Dad practically spits whenever he hears the name, and his family have been bossing this town around (or trying to, anyway) for about as long as Salvation's been here. He's kind of an awkward nerd. But when I had my second fight and I was trying to attend school the next day looking like a crash test dummy he had a first aid kit in his locker, and he helped me get cleaned up. He didn't ask questions, or look at me with sad eyes like I'm some kind of victim. I think on some level he understands having to deal with this pressure to do things that people won't understand.

Gain one string on Matthew Ortiz

quote:

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

This one is all for you.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Okay, so I know it sounds creepy, but I've been watching Anne Andrews. Just, you know... she seems so confident all the time, so I wanted to see how she does it, so maybe I could be more confident too. Also, I heard there were rumors about her dad, and she always comes in bruised or with a Band-Aid on. So maybe I sympathise a little. I helped her clean up one time, when she'd been ina fight. Pays to have a first aid kit handy, you know? She's... attractive, as well. God, I hope she hasn't figured me out. If it gets out I'm creeping on someone, I'm even more in the poo poo than I already am.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

I guess my granddad, Hugo Ortiz, is the one everyone listens to. He runs a bank or something - he's super rich. I don't see him very often, just on holidays and stuff, but when I do, he's always going on about the plans he's got for me, saying I'll be important one day. He wants me to do well in my studies, too. Maybe he wants me to take his place or something? That'd be cool.

Matthew currently lives in a fairly large house in the more affluent area of town, with his dad, Charles Ortiz. The rest of his family are not living in Salvation, but pop in from time to time - it's a pretty large family, so it'd be better to only list who's who when they come up.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 4, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

What industry supported the local economy before it backed out, dried out or ran out?

Then if everyone could provide where you live (house, apartment, mansion, etc) and the state of your family (who lives with you, who lives elsewhere and who doesn't live at all) and finally let me know if I missed any rumors or locations established in your posts.

I think that Salvation is somewhere in the Rust Belt, maybe West Virginia? (I'm not from the U.S. but a quick look at Wikipedia makes it feel right.) The local industries used to be mining and manufacturing, but the mines ran out or got too dangerous to work, and the factories either shut down or blew up. The school mascot should be something that starts with an S: Serpent? Colors would probably be red or green, like the apple. I don't know how the U.S. grade system works but...the second last one? It should be the beginning of the school year.

Anne lives with her Dad in a slightly run down two story house a not-too-lovely part of town. Her Mom has moved away, and they talk mostly on the phone or by email. No other relatives live in the town itself, although there's a non-zero chance that some crazy grand-uncle or other lives in a shack out in the boonies.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Family-wise, Zoe has her dad, Daniel Haven. Her mom died recently (last 3-4 years) of something medical, likely cancer. Extended family is estranged or missing, other than her grandparents on her mother's side who send her x-mas and birthday gifts. They live in a single-wide trailer on a piece of property near the edge of town. It's nicer inside than you'd expect, but everything's a little second-hand looking.

Strings posted:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Maria has everything. It's like there's a special little light that shines just on her. Ugh. I know I'm not supposed to get jealous of other people, but I wish she wasn't so perfect and everyone didn't love her so much and she didn't have to rub it in everyone's face all the time!

There's a boy in my class named River. He's just so SERIOUS about everything he says and does, like it's all for keeps. Consequences matter to him like they don't to other people. He'd fit right in up in heaven, I can see the way he judges people.

OOC: Zoe's vision of heaven is a little different than other people's, hope this is ok. I'm fine with Anne's string.

Zoe's Strings: posted:

Zoe >> Maria (2)
Maria >> Zoe (1)
River >> Zoe (1)

Anne >> Zoe (1)
Zoe >> River (1)
Linda >> Zoe (1)

I'm ok with a rust belt town, mining and mountains have a lot of good potential monster-stuff. I'd like it to be a couple months into the school-year (so maybe October/November) to keep Zoe's BG consistent (she missed a few weeks of school due to the accident.)

11th grade is Junior year (it goes Freshman->Sophmore->Junior->Senior, 9th-12th grades, for US high school.) I think Junior makes the most sense too.

Red/Green is a little too Christmas-y, Red/White or Green/Yellow would be good. If we're this far north we should probably go with a Garter Snake as a mascot if we want to follow the snake motif. (Garter snakes are non-venomous and pretty cool snakes.) Would go really well with Green/Yellow as colors.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 5, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh, neat.

I should really give everyone's sheets a read before I jump in on strings, but here are my own if anyone is interested.

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfitsand you each get a String on one another.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I took the chart from another game courtesy of TurninTrix and updated it for this game with the strings posted so far and my soon to be posted strings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15ABxKLh2HvGEJqtWADu8IOCDXyZzAMMPy3f9g4m4EpE/edit?usp=sharing

It should be editable for anyone from this link. If I made a mistake, feel free to correct it.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

quote:

Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”

Treasure
- Anne: She saw me the other day. Really saw me. Or close to it. While I was talking to Tammy in the lunchroom, over a cup of the awful no name orange pekoe that the cafeteria serves. I'm not used to other people being able to see the ebb and flow of... power, I guess you'd say. The strings you tug on to get people to do what you want, and the favours you need to do in order to get them. But... just as I was handing Tammy her disposable cup of alleged tea, I saw Anne stiffen, and start looking around. I'm not sure if Anne actually can see them the way I can, but she certainly felt something. And that's interesting. I want it.

- Maria: Maria sees what I am too, I think. Just in a different way. I think she's noticed me... acquiring things. People. I know I've noticed her doing the same, especially since she's a lot more... open about it. I've seen her giving me some pretty hard looks when we pass in the hall -- she might have me pegged as some kind rival. I'd disagree, though. There's no reason for us to like, fight over people. We could share. As soon as she realises who really runs things in the end. (as you might have guessed, I'm pretty okay with having the "you think someone is a threat" strings)

- River: River's pretty popular with the girls. ... don't look at me like that. Of course I've noticed him, but I'm not just some bubbleheaded teenage girl falling all over the first pretty boy to come along. He'd be useful is all. And he's... interesting, I guess. There's something a little bit captivating about him. I'd like to really figure out what's going on with him.

^ You three each get a string on me.

Currency
- Jamie
- Matthew
- Zoe

^ I take a string on you three, and you need to describe "something off-putting" I have said to you at some point.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

Then if everyone could provide where you live (house, apartment, mansion, etc) and the state of your family (who lives with you, who lives elsewhere and who doesn't live at all)

I'd second a vote for Rust belt.

I'd say Salvations industry should be steel making and coal mining.

School mascot I have no idea but school colours should be gray and blue.

not sure of the exact grade but we should be about 16-17

I'd say the time of year should be mid to late octoberish everyone kinda knows everyone and there's been time for all the events in out back-stories to shake out.

Maria's family life

Maria lives in a little house in the suburbs with her father Anthony "Big Tony" Ricca her mother Isabella Ricca and her older 18 year old brother Anthony JR "Little Tony" Ricca. Maria idolises her dad which tends to leave her blind to his flaws Maria's mom Bella to everyone but her own parents and her husband didn't handle the transition from Chicago well and finds Salvation a boring dump which she handles by hitting the bottle, she's not an alcoholic yet but will be if she keeps it up. Tony Jr is being groomed to take over the family business but to be quite frank he has his sights higher than mid ranking gang leader and would rather go to college and get a job where the real money is in a bank. This leads to a certain amount of tension in the house but they know they have to keep it on the down low so the cops don't start digging.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 4, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

River Backstory posted:

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

You've captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

River is pretty outgoing and open with how he feels about people. Pretty much anyone who’s been around him for a while knows something personal about him.

Everyone takes a string from River.

“I’ve noticed Jamie around a lot lately. You know, Maggie’s twin. He showed up to a couple plays over the summer, I caught him watching me at The Echo at that show a couple weeks ago and he’s even showed up to a couple of my dress rehearsals. I think I found my first real fan.”

River takes two strings from Jamie.

Group Discussion Questions posted:

I like the idea of a Salvation in West Virginia or Kentucky.
Coal country basically.
I also like a Green/Yellow Garter Snake for the school colors and mascot.
Prefer Junior grade and the beginning of the fall semester. Maybe a few weeks into school.

Family posted:

River has been living with foster families in the Salvation area since the Sophomore year of high school. He moved in with the Smiths over the Summer. Mrs. Jayne Smith is a housewife and a great one at that. She keeps a perfect house is a great cook and she always drops the kids off at school and picks them up from their after school activities. Mr. John Smith is a businessman and travels a lot. River doesn’t know much about what he does for a living, all he knows is that it pays for the Smiths’ modest house, his Buick and the family Camry and there’s never any fights over money like every other home River has lived in.

Their oldest is Rob, a senior. He’s a great student, is on the swim team and never seems to get into any trouble. Their daughter, Jennifer, is a Sophomore and she’s a bit of a hipster, but she does all her homework and doesn’t ever get in trouble either.

It’s pretty much the perfect American family. River doesn’t really know what to make of them. It just seems too good to be true and he expects everything to fall apart around him soon like it always does.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gazetteer posted:

Currency
- Jamie
- Matthew
- Zoe

^ I take a string on you three, and you need to describe "something off-putting" I have said to you at some point.

"So, uh... I think Linda might know what I am. She always scared me a bit - she always seemed really intense, like she had to micromanage everything all the time. And I'm not sure how she isn't dead from tea overdose. But one time, she passed me in the hall, and her head snapped around like some kind of predatory bird to look at me. Like, gently caress, it was some wildlife documentary poo poo. National Geographic gone crazy. I got startled, and she just smiled at me and said, "Don't be so chicken, Ortiz." Then she went off to her class.

"I mean, I might just be being paranoid, right? I haven't shifted in forever. She can't possibly know... right?"

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 5, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

GodFish posted:

I am likewise cool with rust belt and coal/steel stuff. We've got enough evil scary reptiles that I'm cool with garter snake mascot and green/yellow school colours. I'd been assuming we're at least like, 16, 17. I'm good with any time of year.

GodFish posted:

The Mills, taking advantage of their dual professional incomes and general money smarts, live quite comfortably in a two story house complete with a garage, three bathrooms and all the amenities expected of an upper middle class American family who managed not to lose their shirts during the recession. Which is a little bit noteworthy, given the general state of Salvation. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are a somewhat embarrassingly happy couple -- they have a date night every Friday, and own a variety of matching "his and hers" novelty items, much to the quiet horror of Linda and Gary. Linda's home life is mostly good, but Linda's strange behavior lately is finally beginning to raise a few alarm bells with her otherwise clueless parents.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'm editing in Home and NPC information into the OP as it comes.

Looks like the general consensus so far is Junior year, green and yellow for the Garter Snakes (ra! ra! ra!) of Salvation, WV, former mining town.

For the time of year I think so far we have
Whenever: 1
Beginning of the year/early september: 2
Late October: 2

In the meantime, why not fill out this seating chart with your desired seat! Maria, please indicate where your gang members are sitting as well.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Okay, I'll break the tie, then. Late October.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_i8OlEMnPA

West Virginia is in the same mountain range as Kentucky, right?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So yeah, Linda Mills is one of those... I dunno, I wouldn't call her popular, not like Maria is, but she's... hmm, people listen to her. She's got influence. Holds herself above everything and everybody. The first week I was back I was still on crutches, so I was kind of an obstacle she had to walk around in the hallway, I'm sure I heard her say something like "Was it really an accident?" while she pushed her glasses up her nose.

Seriously! If I was gonna kill myself that wouldn't be how I'd do it, you dumb...

I think I lose Karma points for even thinking about Linda. :(

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfits and you each get a String on one another.

So... Anne, the girl who sits next to me in homeroom. She always seems a little out of sorts, looking as if she's picked a fight with the whole school. Not quite, it turns out, but close enough. I found out the hard way that she's even more paranoid than Nina. She caught me skulking inside somewhere I thought was quiet and isolated and coming out as someone else. She started asking a lot of pointed questions since that time; at me, my sister, and other students in school. And I guess I could have found another way to throw her off the trail, but looking at those scars, I figure I'd rather not have her an as enemy.

At least Anne took to my secret better than Nina did, even if there was the shock. It turned out she was also after... other weird people like me. Like, the bad ones. The kind that might have caused the accident in her dad's old job. drat. I really couldn't help with that. But at least I got her to promise not to tell anyone about my whole deal. I just have to cover for her sometimes whenever she needs to follow up some clue on her explosion monster. Which means I get to borrow her clothes. It's not a bad deal.

Gazetteer posted:

TurninTrix posted:

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

Linda's one of those people. You know, the kind that puts everyone on a neat, tidy hierarchy. Some people are just more valuable than others to her. And how does she know this? I swear, she could just see it. Just by staring at you with those cold eyes, as if she's looking into your soul. I guess I don't measure up to it. Like, the only reason she even gives me the time of day is because she's friends with Maggie.

Like, the last time I hung out with those two, Maggie stepped out for a bit, and you know what Linda said to me? She sized me and Maggie up and said it was "Hard to believe you're her brother sometimes."

Maggie likes Linda a lot, and that's the only reason why I don't mess with Linda too much. I don't want to cause my sister stress. That doesn't mean I can't mess with the other people Linda likes, though. And all that said, she really shouldn't have left that cute dress and those glasses just laying around while she was in the gym showers.

GodFish posted:

It's a large, middle-class home in the nice side of town, though clearly it has seen better days. Jamie's grandparents did well for themselves before the economy collapsed, and the house is their sole remaining possession. Three generations of Changs currently reside inside, including: Jamie's father, mother, and grandparents, as well Jamie's two sisters Susie and Maggie. He has an uncle who lives in another city but visits on holidays, and an aunt that lives in an apartment somewhere in town with her own family.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 5, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
That should be it for starting strings I think, so now lets move on to highlights!

Using the following list, you each pick a stat for someone else to highlight and gain experience when they roll with.
Matthew highlight for Anne
Zoe highlight for Maria
River highlight for Jamie
Maria highlight for Linda
Jamie highlight for River
Linda highlight for Matthew
Anne highlight for Zoe

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I wanna see River get all Hot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

It's going to be easier for Zoe to seek Forgiveness than to ask permission.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I want to see if Anne can get Hot or not.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I want to see whether Linda is as Cold and unfeeling as other dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Maria needs to get Volatile.

• Locked thread