Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

hey idiot you're objectively wrong

guess why

people make things all the time and most of them are just terrible. but it takes a lot of work to make something, even if you aren't any good at it, or the thing is conceptually flawed. more, really. so in your dream world without irony guess what happens? they just get thrown into the garbage bin. billions of dollars of time and money that could have been spent productively, gone. the best outcome one can hope for is to be an lesson in what not to do. doomed to never be enjoyed or appreciated by anyone.

see what you're missing is, there's a fundamental truth in a honestly terrible work that can be more compelling than a slickly produced soulless lie, but without the lens of irony, carefully honed, you can't spot it. without being able to immerse yourself in the work, to appreciate the majesty of a trainwreck, to 'laugh with it, at it', you are missing out the goodness of the vast majority of the human creative output, and consequently missing unspeakable messages and fundamental truths that make you actually alive and not just existent.

I barely understood this post but it is my favorite one of the day for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Holy moly that's a red text :eyepop:

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

drat, didn't know Tautologicus was a crazy.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Me either

The lesson is, never post outside gbs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Harime Nui posted:

People are nice to me because they expect me to be nice back. It's moral blackmail, terrorism by any other name.

actually i'm nice to people cause I enjoy it as a hobby you loving pice of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

Irony is suffocating, creatively and emotionally.

and?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RideTheSpiral posted:

i prefer to be ionic. like a column

I prefer to be ionic like a bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't post with this title...its huge and a little tragic for whoever bought it. A big tragic banner. Makin me spend 5 bucks

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

I can't post with this title...its huge and a little tragic for whoever bought it. A big tragic banner. Makin me spend 5 bucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
howd yall get garbage dick

is everyone ok :ohdear:

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

Irony is suffocating, creatively and emotionally.

are you the reincarnation of david foster wallace perchance?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Irony and sarcasm are both gay and bad, respectively. "Hurr, I'm going to say something that, get this, isn't true!! ROFLMAO!!!" Yeah so funny I forgot to laugh.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

something i should probably tell you guys about this thread is that it was posted ironically. thats the level of the game im playing here...

peace

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i was just gonna ask you about that op

edit: great thread, thanks for posting it

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

something i should probably tell you guys about this thread is that it was posted ironically. thats the level of the game im playing here...

peace

holy poo poo this is meta as gently caress you are the reincarnation of david foster wallace

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

chaosbreather posted:

hey idiot you're objectively wrong

guess why

people make things all the time and most of them are just terrible. but it takes a lot of work to make something, even if you aren't any good at it, or the thing is conceptually flawed. more, really. so in your dream world without irony guess what happens? they just get thrown into the garbage bin. billions of dollars of time and money that could have been spent productively, gone. the best outcome one can hope for is to be an lesson in what not to do. doomed to never be enjoyed or appreciated by anyone.

see what you're missing is, there's a fundamental truth in a honestly terrible work that can be more compelling than a slickly produced soulless lie, but without the lens of irony, carefully honed, you can't spot it. without being able to immerse yourself in the work, to appreciate the majesty of a trainwreck, to 'laugh with it, at it', you are missing out the goodness of the vast majority of the human creative output, and consequently missing unspeakable messages and fundamental truths that make you actually alive and not just existent.
So you like Mystery Science Theater 3000, huh?

I'm glad for you.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
its the antithesis to patronizing melodrama. in a sense, it works as a counterbalance, and allows interactions to be kept real wrt persons, and their place

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im creating somethin called sincere irony where u express ur genuine ppinion but do it in a veil of irony and sarcasm what do u think

ex: boy i sure think police are the worst... lmao... i totally think there clowns

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

ilikedirt posted:

im creating somethin called sincere irony where u express ur genuine ppinion but do it in a veil of irony and sarcasm what do u think

ex: boy i sure think police are the worst... lmao... i totally think there clowns

lol i hate women. jk but really

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Izumi Konata posted:

its the antithesis to patronizing melodrama. in a sense, it works as a counterbalance, and allows interactions to be kept real wrt persons, and their place

Patronizing melodrama is exactly how A/T, D&D, and old GBS read, spot on

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
It's like 10000 spoons.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

BASF posted:

It's like 10000 spoons.

that's too many spoons imo

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
irony is basically an immune system response to demagoguery, i guess

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
One of you fucks define irony and get it right

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

your friends

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Denied ambivalence

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Have a heart. Allow yourself to feel again. Unshackle the constricting layers of irony that the internet has imposed upon your psyche. Don't hide from your emotion. Play Galatea. Watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Make sure you have tissues on hand.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Earnest takes a poo poo on sincerity's face and she loves it

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Please don't hide from your emotions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5tgVx5E5x8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Collier_Township_shooting

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Poetic irony, situational irony, karmic irony, chocolate irony or kind of iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

When I do it

• Locked thread