Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Christoff posted:

The Norelco ones are pretty much the best you can get. Just see how fancy you want to get and what options you want

I have this one which is nice because you can use it in the shower and wet/dry

Philips Norelco PT730/46 Shaver 3500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JITDVCI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_AbkIub1RS29V2

But if you don't mind stubble or a well kept beard and just want to maintain

Philips Norelco BG2040/34 Bodygroom 7100 (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037HP9OA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_edkIub0C005MD

I meant batteries as in AAs and such, but I lucked out and grabbed the last travel electric razor at the store. I'm probably due for a razor upgrade sometime soon though, so thanks for those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Another travel item question - does anyone have a battery-powered electric razor they're fond of? The cradle for my razor doesn't convert voltage and it doesn't make sense to buy a voltage converter for one item. At the same time, I haven't shaved with a manual razor in years and don't feeling like having a gashed-up face when meeting all of my fiancée's family as I struggle to remember how to do it properly. I think last time I went I had an old bikini trimmer I used but there has to be a better, guy-specific option, right?

Just buy some Schicks or something, they really aren't that bad. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying an electric razor you'll only use every once in a while.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Someone recommend a good dust-buster type hand held vacuum. I shed like a chewbacca and it makes my bathroom look disgusting.

colas has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Dec 11, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

colas posted:

Someone recommend a good dust-buster type hand held vacuum. I shed like a chewbacca and it makes my bathroom look disgusting.
I have this one:

Black & Decker Pivot Vac 18V Cordless Pivoting Hand Vac

Folds up relatively small, easy to clean, very powerful.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Best wireless PS4 headphones?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

Best wireless PS4 headphones?

the Playstation Gold headset by a mile

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

I have this one:

I have this one too and it's great. Works well on dog hair, so I assume it will work well for you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Last thread there was a "best travel luggage" manufacturer recommendation (I think it was TravelPr or something similar). Can anyone refresh my memory?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

1redflag posted:

Last thread there was a "best travel luggage" manufacturer recommendation (I think it was TravelPr or something similar). Can anyone refresh my memory?

travelpro

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I want to get my girlfriend a hand mixer for Christmas, any of you know of a quality one I can find online for ~$40-50?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sadly, you get what you pay for. Something to look for is to make sure the gears are metal, not plastic. Plastic ones break like crazy and as bad as it sounds, they really don't make them like they used to. My mom has broken a bunch over the years and keeps going back to an old reliable one she has from the 70's.You know the one, it's boxy, yellow-beige and the power cord looks dangerously too thin.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

M42 posted:

Need a rec for a type of mattress. My current one is an irredeemable piece of poo poo. It's a spring with a nonremovable pillowtop/memory foam thing. I'm light as a feather, but regardless it's collapsed around the area where my body rests, so it's like I'm sleeping in a giant bowl. I get back pain like half the nights of the week. Are spring+pillowtop mattresses prone to this? Would I be able to avoid it if I got, say, a latex one?

Can't recommend particular brands, but full memory foam mattresses are great and seem to hold up pretty well. You just gotta flip them around every time you change them to stop them from developing a big body-shaped indent. I've had one for a few years now and it hasn't developed one yet. It's also probably the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

M42 posted:

Need a rec for a type of mattress. My current one is an irredeemable piece of poo poo. It's a spring with a nonremovable pillowtop/memory foam thing. I'm light as a feather, but regardless it's collapsed around the area where my body rests, so it's like I'm sleeping in a giant bowl. I get back pain like half the nights of the week. Are spring+pillowtop mattresses prone to this? Would I be able to avoid it if I got, say, a latex one?

There was this goon referral chain for some supposedly good mattresses. I/m still thinking about it. Thread is kind of dead though

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663235

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
So I put up some blackout curtains in my bedroom this weekend, and I slept like a rock, but it was kinda hard to wake up in the morning. I know in previous incarnations of this thread someone has recommended an alarm clock that gradually lights up to simulate a sunrise, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a recommendation for something like http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3470-Wake-up-Light-White/dp/B003XN4RIC?

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012

naughty_penguin posted:

So I put up some blackout curtains in my bedroom this weekend, and I slept like a rock, but it was kinda hard to wake up in the morning. I know in previous incarnations of this thread someone has recommended an alarm clock that gradually lights up to simulate a sunrise, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a recommendation for something like http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3470-Wake-up-Light-White/dp/B003XN4RIC?

Sorry, no suggestions for an alarm clock, but I was wondering which blackout curtains you use? I've bought some from walmart in the past but they still let light through.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's sleep tracker devices that will wake you up when you're most "awake." Most are like watches. You set a time period, like 30 minutes, and it'll wake you up at your lightest REM phase or w/e

There's also an app that does it called sleep cycle which surprisingly works

I've also seen those pillows that slowly light up

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

naughty_penguin posted:

That is what I have and it works pretty well. Too bad my wife stole it.

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.

Christoff posted:

There's sleep tracker devices that will wake you up when you're most "awake." Most are like watches. You set a time period, like 30 minutes, and it'll wake you up at your lightest REM phase or w/e

There's also an app that does it called sleep cycle which surprisingly works

I've also seen those pillows that slowly light up

Sleep cycle worked amazingly well when i still had my iPod before it got stolen. They dont seem to have as good an equivalent for android though, unless anyone here knows of one.

In addition to that, I work a job that requires me to walk/stand about 8 to 9 hours a day on concrete flooring, and i average about 3 miles a day (previosly mentioned android had a built in pedometer i didnt know about, go figure). My feet do something called pronating (sp?) Which causes my ankles to roll outwards when i walk. Im in horrific pain once i get off work and its making me hobble like an old woman. I had a pair of Nu Balances with a roll bar inside, but theyre torn to hell now. Any suggestions?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

M42 posted:

There are pros and cons to both. Memory foam, for instance, tends to hold heat a lot more than coil.

I don't know where you live, but if you live on the US east coast see if there is an Original Mattress Factory around you. They make all their mattresses and they are high quality and a lot cheaper than big named brands. Only coil mind you.: http://www.originalmattress.com/

I just got a new one from them when I moved and I love it. I slept on a twin at my parent's house and it held up great for eight years with flipping occasionally. My parent's king has held up similarly well.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Nekodoshi posted:

Sleep cycle worked amazingly well when i still had my iPod before it got stolen. They dont seem to have as good an equivalent for android though, unless anyone here knows of one.

In addition to that, I work a job that requires me to walk/stand about 8 to 9 hours a day on concrete flooring, and i average about 3 miles a day (previosly mentioned android had a built in pedometer i didnt know about, go figure). My feet do something called pronating (sp?) Which causes my ankles to roll outwards when i walk. Im in horrific pain once i get off work and its making me hobble like an old woman. I had a pair of Nu Balances with a roll bar inside, but theyre torn to hell now. Any suggestions?

Sleep As Android will wake you up at a light point. You can also track your sleep cycle and other neat things if you pay the $3 or so for the full version.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

naughty_penguin posted:

I work nights and have blackout curtains so I can sleep during the day. I have to use earplugs since it's Manhattan, which means I can't really rely on sound to wake me up (though I do still use my phone as a backup). The main alarm I use is this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EX7LNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm pretty sure it's for deaf people. It has a super loud alarm that I have turned off, and just use the vibrating puck you stick under your mattress. It's so much less unpleasant than the alarm clock sound, and gets me up just as well if not better. Check that poo poo out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm a 4 alarm kind of guy and I turn my alarm off in my sleep. and that one looks pretty good. Good reviews. Vibrating function seems like a nice feature. Quick question. If you use the vibrating thing and sound can you have them at different intervals? Like have the sound as a backup if the vibrating doesn't wake you?

Thanks for the post!

The sleep tracking poo poo doesn't really work well if you have someone else in the bed :/ maybe the watch ones do

-edit there's also this one which is pretty much the same but has flashing lights

Sonic Boom SBB500ss Sonic Bomb Loud Plus Vibrating Alarm Clock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pcQJub1WX1BJD

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need a travel backpack that should double as my carry-on as well as a daypack I can use when I'm at the destination. It doesn't need to be particularly big, but it should be able to hold a laptop (12"), kindle, notepad, and water bottle with a bit of room to spare.

My budget is ideally under £50 ($80). Comfort and durability are priorities since I expect I'll be wearing it for hours on end while walking around. I like the look of the Mammut Xeron at the moment.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

I have this one:

Thanks, been after something like this for my car. Cheers!

TUTRLE FIJURBLER
Jan 20, 2009

"Even the best of shellfish have a dark side."
\
:backtowork:
Hello product recommendation thread!

Christmas is coming and I'm looking for a good quality, very bright flashlight that's not going to break the bank to get for my mom when she walks the dogs at night. My first choice when doing preliminary research was the tiny monster (tm11 2000lumen) which when all was said and done came to around $200.

Now, I'm not sure if that about the average price for what would be considered a "good" flashlight would be and what makes a good flashlight in the first place. I'm ok with spending some money because the people that drive the road at night are goddamn idiots and are constantly doing 25 over the speed limit so the brighter the better.

On the other hand, my dad wants to spend something like $60 for something but I don't think it would be that much of an upgrade from what we have now (Milwaukee work light 12v).

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What about a lantern? I got one of these for my dad and his dogs he loves it

Gama Sonic Rechargeable Emergency LED Lantern and Work Light #DL-713LS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057LZHAA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_tXYJub0AC183S

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TUTRLE FIJURBLER posted:

Christmas is coming and I'm looking for a good quality, very bright flashlight that's not going to break the bank to get for my mom when she walks the dogs at night.

I've had a LED Lenser 880028 for four years now. Uses 3 AAAs and has a very bright beam. You used to be able to buy them from Lowe's and Home Depot but then Coast stopped selling them under license. Very good flashlight for under $40.

e: for that matter pretty much anything in their lineup is great from a quality and price standpoint until you get into niche market equipment like diving flashlights and absurdly overkill poo poo like this.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Dec 15, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

I need a travel backpack that should double as my carry-on as well as a daypack I can use when I'm at the destination. It doesn't need to be particularly big, but it should be able to hold a laptop (12"), kindle, notepad, and water bottle with a bit of room to spare.
The best travel backpack that I have ever owned is the Osprey Porter line. I own a 45 (46). It's perfect for carryon because it fits exactly within carryon spec to maximize space, has padded sides (!!), hideaway straps to prevent catching on other bags in a cargo compartment of a plane or bus, and isn't over-compartmentalized which adds to the weight and detracts from usefulness.

The straps let it be converted into a messenger-bag type deal and it also has a carrying handle on the side. The two side-straps provide compression and there aren't any additional unnecessary buckles or whatever to catch on stuff. I also really like the fact that you can lay it flat and unzip it all the way down and flop open the lid so it's basically just a little travel suitcase :3:

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Dec 15, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bhodi posted:

The best travel backpack that I have ever owned is the Osprey Porter line. I own a 45 (46). It's perfect for carryon because it fits exactly within carryon spec to maximize space, has padded sides (!!), hideaway straps to prevent catching on other bags in a cargo compartment of a plane or bus, and isn't over-compartmentalized which adds to the weight and detracts from usefulness.

The straps let it be converted into a messenger-bag type deal and it also has a carrying handle on the side. The two side-straps provide compression and there aren't any additional unnecessary buckles or whatever to catch on stuff. I also really like the fact that you can lay it flat and unzip it all the way down and flop open the lid so it's basically just a little travel suitcase :3:
That sounds good, thanks. It might be a bit too large for my purposes, but it looks like Osprey have some smaller bags as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just got these and gotta share. (Battery powered candles)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1BSAOA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They rule and the remote is rad. Shutoff timer and can set to them to flicker. Despite the description they use 3 AAAs. So stock up on some rechargeables. Some reviews say AAs but who knows.

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Dec 16, 2014

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Sorry, no suggestions for an alarm clock, but I was wondering which blackout curtains you use? I've bought some from walmart in the past but they still let light through.

Just some cheapo brown one from Big Lots. My bedroom window faces South so I don't get a whole ton of light. I honestly couldn't believe it made that much of a difference.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
For flashlights I have been super happy with all the Fenix Light stuff I have owned. For dog walking I do think a headlamp is a better option though.

For bags, I have whatever Osprey model is the smallest one with a waist belt and it is a near prefect day pack and is very comfortable even when loaded down with fishing gear.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bhodi posted:

bunnielab posted:

For bags, I have whatever Osprey model is the smallest one with a waist belt and it is a near prefect day pack and is very comfortable even when loaded down with fishing gear.

Ended up getting an Osprey Farpoint 40 since the brand came up here twice and seemed to be an ever-present on lists of best backpacks. Seems sturdy and smartly put together, although getting into the main compartment could be hindered by the compression straps. Reckon it'll last me a long time though.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I don't have a landline and I'm wondering if you guys might have something you use as a backup in case of emergency like radio or emergency alert of some sort. Isn't it possible to still use 911 even if you're not paying for a landline?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

colas posted:

Isn't it possible to still use 911 even if you're not paying for a landline?

If you aren't paying for a land line your house/apartment (whatever) typically isn't connected at the pole or ped.

Do you have poor/no cell coverage at home?

Geoj has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Dec 17, 2014

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Geoj posted:

Do you have poor/no cell coverage at home?

I do have coverage, I'm just curious.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You should be able to get the most basic of basic POTS for pretty cheap, but you'll only be able to call numbers in like a four or so block radius around your house. It would be enough to have your residence hooked up and call 911. Probably be somewhere between $10-15/month.

Assuming you have broadband at home you could get some kind of VOIP service for about the same and have it be infinitely more useful. I have Vonage's lowest package, for $16/month (taxes & fees bring it up to $18 & change) I get 500 minutes of outbound and unlimited inbound in the continental US & Canada.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Ok, thanks.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

I think you're thinking of cell phones being able to call 911 even if you don't have service. I used my old beater circa 2003 cell phone twice to call 911 when I didn't have another phone. I keep it in the car and if it's turned off it keeps a charge for ~5 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Bippie Mishap posted:

I think you're thinking of cell phones being able to call 911 even if you don't have service. I used my old beater circa 2003 cell phone twice to call 911 when I didn't have another phone. I keep it in the car and if it's turned off it keeps a charge for ~5 months.

That's a good idea.