Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Inflammatory posted:

okay, so third labyrinth first floor. i'm stuck.

i've found the clue saying art is after shop and geometry is after science. are there any other clues i should be looking for, and if so where are they?

If you keep messing up, Naoto would just give the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

It adds a sense that you really are exploring a mysterious labyrinth that nobody has been in before. You can make your own notes on it and it appeals to an old-school RPG mentality. Otherwise, yeah, I guess it's just sort of additional work.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

It's really not all that manual. If you turn on automap, all you have to add are icons (doors and shortcuts mostly). But anyway, it appeals to the Explorer type of gamer, and it's also a nod to nostalgia. And, too, there are puzzles later on that make the map pretty important rather than just a convenience, so if you do a better job mapping, you'll have an easier time with the puzzles.

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think that makes too much of a difference though, since most physical attackers should be in the front, and magic in the back

Like I can't just put Chie or Kanji in back

Sure, but Mitsuru, P3MC, Teddie, and possibly Koromaru could be put in the back and still be effective.

----

Anyway, I just got the best thing from a quest reward:

A non-consumable Goho-M! I mean, the game reminds you if you try to go into a labyrinth without one so it's not as bad as in EO, but now there's no chance I'll forget.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there really no reason to level additional parties? That's really disappointing. They have a neat "muster" feature that lets you pre-save party selections/formations and instantly swap between them, which would have been nice in EO3. You can even name the parties. Rolling with the "Shadow Ops" at the moment: Akihiko, Mitsuru, Aigis, Yukari.

Need to find two more wind users besides Yukari and Yosuke so I can create my ultimate team, "Gone Garu".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait Marie does things? I got the full team and I'm starting floor 2 of labyrinth 2 and she just kinda lays around in the velvet room and hasn't had any lines other then "I'm here."

Also I liked her in P4G and I hope my agony grows and the Velvet Room crew become playable too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's a DLC navigator along with Liz, Theo, and Marge. I believe they have their own unique skills too, so yeah she does stuff that's not that. She also shows up in cutscenes for shenanigans, of course.

Nanako is a DLC Navigator too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The worst velvet room is Margaret.

Elizabeth is the best.

Discuss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are the worst, Cake Attack.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

Elizabeth is the best.

Discuss.

what's there to discuss?

also marie manages streetpass stuff, which in the west means that you will never ever need to speak to her ever outside of the poem MY PATHOS IS SCREAMING events and requests.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Are all the FOEs as annoyingly bulky and weaknessless like the card soldiers? Though maybe killing one at level six didn't help it feeling like a giant meat sponge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cake Attack posted:

Elizabeth is the best.

Discuss.

Elizabeth keeps encouraging Theo to scalp me for all I'm worth so I'm kinda mad at her.

Also is Rise any good as a navigator? I had Fuuka and wow healing after every turn and emergency heals and all this is awesome! Got to Rise and her first skill just lets someone go first and boy that's nowhere near as good :effort:

Einwand posted:

Are all the FOEs as annoyingly bulky and weaknessless like the card soldiers? Though maybe killing one at level six didn't help it feeling like a giant meat sponge.

If it's anything like EO the first ones (card soldiers) are just meatsponge assholes while every other one is going to status debuff the gently caress out of you and destroy you in like 2 turns.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
^^rise's skills are more situational, yeah. her second skill reduces all skill costs for the turn to zero and her third one lets your whole party act before the enemy.

Einwand posted:

so far i've seen six different foes, and only two of them have had weaknesses.

and yeah you're supposed to wait until like level 10 to fight the card soldiers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Marie does streetpass stuff. But she doesn't actually exist unless you ask her stuff. Uh, yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry Cake Attack, I didn't mean it. We can discuss our waifus like civilized gentlemen, forgive me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

A man not willing to fight for the honor of his anime girlfriend is no man at all, imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My waifu is not even Marie.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

so far i've seen six different foes, and only two of them have had weaknesses.

Most of them have weaknesses (and nasty attacks), but they all have ginormous amounts of HP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Einwand posted:

FOEs are obstacles to avoid, not enemies to fight. You need to wait until much later before taking them on.

Who has the automap turned on? I don't since I like drawing my own maps, but the wall radar is handy.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i have an irresistible compulsion to get the map chests so i just walk on every space i can and let automap do the work.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Fetus posted:

FOEs are obstacles to avoid, not enemies to fight. You need to wait until much later before taking them on.

Having said that, they tend to drop materials that you can turn into some pretty kickass equipment, so beating them as soon as reasonably possible is worth doing.

quote:

Who has the automap turned on? I don't since I like drawing my own maps, but the wall radar is handy.

Same here. The default option of automapping off but wall guides on feels like a good compromise between convenience and the feeling of mapping out the dungeon yourself.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Card Soldiers are just annoying as hell because they have no weaknesses or anything so you have to sit there fishing for crits as you slog through their HP.

Hopefully later FOEs are less dumb.

e: second labyrinth SP DAMAGE FLOORS ATLUS YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

theshim fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 28, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is there any particular status effect that can help out with the first boss.

Like can I hit it with poison or something to make life easier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FOEs aren't fun to get around and I don't like the puzzles for dealing with them. It makes exploring more tedious. Though I've only seen the Card Soldiers.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Poison worked pretty well. When it stuck. Going to want to boost accuracy or drop their dodge to get it to hit. That and ma-skills helped a lot.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

She's not immune to either Poison or Curse and both help a lot. Zen has an ability that applies Curse, Poison you should have a couple options for.

Manatee Cannon posted:

FOEs aren't fun to get around and I don't like the puzzles for dealing with them. It makes exploring more tedious. Though I've only seen the Card Soldiers.

FOEs get way more interesting than the Card Soldiers. Hell, you don't even get introduced to aggressive FOEs until the 3rd labyrinth.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, Curse seems like a surprisingly good status effect so far, thanks to damage and HP values being a lot less lopsided between PCs and monsters compared to the Etrian Odyssey series proper.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That doesn't actually sound fun. It sounds annoying. I guess it's better than SMT4 Fiends or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This entire game makes me want to try EO less and less.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

This entire game makes me want to try EO less and less.

There's other reasons.

Okay, imagine most of the female class characters looked like Nowi in varying levels of good armor. For example The other times it's pretty decent.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

That doesn't actually sound fun. It sounds annoying. I guess it's better than SMT4 Fiends or something.

this may not be the game for you. not even trying to be a dick, dodging foes is a big part of these games.

like, in the second dungeon there are foes who only move when you make eye contact with them, and you need to figure out how to move groups of them in the right order to get past them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
EO is relentlessly difficult to the point of being unfun, and the battle system always felt clunky and slow. Has that been improved in this one?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The battle system is slow as poo poo even at fastest on battle animations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EO3 was probably the fastest the battle system has been. On the fastest settings you could blaze through turns within seconds if you held down A. This is much slower than any of the recent EO games.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Zurai posted:

Anyway, I just got the best thing from a quest reward:

A non-consumable Goho-M! I mean, the game reminds you if you try to go into a labyrinth without one so it's not as bad as in EO, but now there's no chance I'll forget.

Is this from the evil eye quest? Where do you actually find the fate seeker? The request says it's from Group Date Cafe, but Theo says it's from the Evil Spirit Club.

Also, are there any personas that give resist dark as their skill card? I keep losing 2+ party members to mamudoons, when everyone has dark pin :(

edit: Never mind, just ran into one on floor 4 of Evil Spirit Club.

b0lt fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a fusion chart for this one? I noticed a couple gaps in my compendium and am not sure how to fuse the Level 11 tower Persona, etc.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Streaming the second dungeon with the best team--the one with both a robot and a dog. http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Am I going to enjoy this game if I've been put off of the Etrian Odyssey games by their glacially slow pacing? I liked nearly everything about the games except how long it takes to progress.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
I kinda want to get this, but I only finished Persona 3. I did a few hours of 4, but now I don't have the means of playing it through anymore. I have read enough about the characters to know the gist of everyone's personality but I don't know much of anything about the plot or minor details. Will I be okay to play this, in contrast to something like Arena which is pretty much Persona 4.5?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Maleficent posted:

I kinda want to get this, but I only finished Persona 3. I did a few hours of 4, but now I don't have the means of playing it through anymore. I have read enough about the characters to know the gist of everyone's personality but I don't know much of anything about the plot or minor details. Will I be okay to play this, in contrast to something like Arena which is pretty much Persona 4.5?

They make some very specific references to what happens in Persona 4, including Golden. It's not unplayable, but I don't think you'd enjoy as much if you aren't familiar with P4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heavy neutrino posted:

Am I going to enjoy this game if I've been put off of the Etrian Odyssey games by their glacially slow pacing? I liked nearly everything about the games except how long it takes to progress.

There's a chance but it's still pretty goddamn slow. Whenever you choose attack the characters pop up on screen and do a small animation to strike the enemy (or use a skill) and you are still slowly making your way around a labyrinth. The only difference it has the charm of a Persona game in it.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

EO is relentlessly difficult to the point of being unfun, and the battle system always felt clunky and slow. Has that been improved in this one?

Not sure what you mean by clunky. It's a EO game in a Persona skin though so that should let you know all you need. It's seriously difficult and not for those who just want tactics to end at "fire is good on ice".

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 28, 2014

• Locked thread