Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

i actually joined a conservative group that is dedicated to fighting back against the liberal dominance of discourse on campus (because they have really good food). it is literally just a bunch of white people hand wringing about how no one agrees with their lovely ideas. if there was actual systemic oppression of conservative ideology, then good, gently caress these people

ive seen actual people in their twenties wearing BOWTIES.

What do they have for food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

Universities are solidly left-wing zones.

This is true, but when I was in college (early mid-2000s) the only public speakers who were ever on the lawn were 1) ranting and raving baptists screaming that you're going to hell and 2) anti-abortion activists. We never had war protestors, people demanding public healthcare, or people demanding better rights for immigrants. The public speakers were always far-right conservative nutjobs. And having spoken to graduates from other colleges since then, apparently my experience was not unique; these crazy baptist preachers and abortion protestors go all around the country specifically to talk to college students. And these are public state schools in liberal cities, not private Christian colleges where you might expect more right-wing views.

So while the attitudes of many of my peers were definitely liberal, some days (like when I was being presented with images of a bunch of miscarriages with the words "ABORTION IS MURDER" in bold) it sure didn't feel like I was in a left-wing zone.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

This is true, but when I was in college (early mid-2000s) the only public speakers who were ever on the lawn were 1) ranting and raving baptists screaming that you're going to hell and 2) anti-abortion activists. We never had war protestors, people demanding public healthcare, or people demanding better rights for immigrants. The public speakers were always far-right conservative nutjobs. And having spoken to graduates from other colleges since then, apparently my experience was not unique; these crazy baptist preachers and abortion protestors go all around the country specifically to talk to college students.

So while the attitudes of many of my peers were definitely liberal, some days (like when I was being presented with images of a bunch of miscarriages with the words "ABORTION IS MURDER" in bold) it sure didn't feel like I was in a left-wing zone.

I remember those people. They were heckled and ridiculed as hateful freaks, and had absolutely no visible support from anyone.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What do they have for food?

catering from the more expensive and meat filled local restaurants typically, as well as chick fil a (because of course). most of the other organizations have chain pizza or stale thai food. the difference is staggering.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So basically they're complaining that nobody shares their lovely views while eating expensive catering that no other college group can get because mommy and daddy aren't rich? This is literally the most college Republican thing possible.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So basically they're complaining that nobody shares their lovely views while eating expensive catering that no other college group can get because mommy and daddy aren't rich? This is literally the most college Republican thing possible.

Who's complaining? The only complaining I see here is a bunch of lefties complaining that conservatives are permitted a voice on campus because, like, free speech.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Conservatives have a voice on campus. The "problem" is that no one wants to listen to their lovely, half-baked ideas.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

420DD Butts posted:

Conservatives have a voice on campus. The "problem" is that no one wants to listen to their lovely, half-baked ideas.

That's not a problem. In a free marketplace of ideas, lovely ones won't gain any traction. Nothing to fear from them.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

TheImmigrant posted:

That's not a problem. In a free marketplace of ideas, lovely ones won't gain any traction. Nothing to fear from them.

Then that's great, because that is just about every college campus. The reason you don't see conservative speakers galore is generally because either the university (and thus student body and alumni) must invite them, or specific student groups or professors/departments willing to foot the bill. It turns out that these groups generally don't care to pay for/accommodate high-profile conservative speakers, quelle surprise.

I mean, we can talk about social pressures all you want but it is very rare that a conservative person is going to forcibly have their views silenced. This just reminds me of a creationist biologist complaining when his colleagues rightfully regard him as a crackpot.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
stop disagreeing with me and let me voice my opinions completely unopposed forever you closedminded cowards

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The only real first hand exposure I have to liberal suppression of free discourse was when my coo-coo radical college invited David Horowitz to debate the college president. He threw a fit onstage after a professor questioned him too pointedly during the Q&A session, something to the effect of "when you were a leftist you railed against right wing bias on campus, now that you're a conservative you rail against left wing bias. Are you sure you don't just have a persecution complex?".

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Free speech isn't simply a legal thing, like 'the government can't ban you from saying something'. It's a general principle that in a free and open society people should be allowed to express ideas that others (a majority, in fact) might find distasteful or wrong. And being allowed goes beyond the absence of government-supported censorship, it requires creating an environment where people can communicate without being ostracized, maligned, or worse. The first approach is a 'negative rights' approach, the second approach is more of a 'positive rights' approach. Saying 'well no one's forbidding you from saying your lovely views' is no different than saying 'no one's forbidding poor people from getting a job'.

It strikes me as really idiotic and narrow-minded for people who lean left to defend these attitudes, since it's often leftists and people with left-leaning ideas who fall prey to these boycotts and protests and orchestrated campaigns, since left-leaning ideas are more outside the mainstream in America than right-leaning ideas.

I only knew about FIRE from an earlier case, and based on that one I'm not sure why everyone immediately jumped to thinking they're a conservative front. The case in question is when FIRE was defending Dan Savage, who spoke at a University of Chicago event. He was accused by a student of hate speech because he used the word 'tranny' in the context of discussing the word itself.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 28, 2014

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rollofthedice posted:

I read the preface to a book entitled Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory. It talked about how 'holocaust revisionist' (read: denialist) ads would be vilified and yet remain up due to newspaper editors feeling it to be a case of free speech. The author, Mrs. Lipstadt, also remarked on how she refuses to engage in debate with holocaust revisionists, as she believes that the last thing such a topic warrants is more attention drawn to it. To her, more exposure means more legitimacy is implied.

I wish more people held Mrs. Lipstadt's views, and not just on holocaust deniers.

Holocaust denial can be a touchy subject. In some places it's illegal and it's defined as ANY questioning of the government version of events. Even the smallest change to any part of the government narrative makes you criminally liable.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

oh no how will outspoken newspaper editor dan savage overcome his vast petition writing and crying while room-leaving opposition

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Free speech isn't simply a legal thing, like 'the government can't ban you from saying something'. It's a general principle that in a free and open society people should be allowed to express ideas that others (a majority, in fact) might find distasteful or wrong. And being allowed goes beyond the absence of government-supported censorship, it requires creating an environment where people can communicate without being ostracized, maligned, or worse. The first approach is a 'negative rights' approach, the second approach is more of a 'positive rights' approach. Saying 'well no one's forbidding you from saying your lovely views' is no different than saying 'no one's forbidding poor people from getting a job'.

It strikes me as really idiotic and narrow-minded for people who lean left to defend these attitudes, since it's often leftists and people with left-leaning ideas who fall prey to these boycotts and protests and orchestrated campaigns, since left-leaning ideas are more outside the mainstream in America than right-leaning ideas.

I only knew about FIRE from an earlier case, and based on that one I'm not sure why everyone immediately jumped to thinking they're a conservative front. The case in question is when FIRE was defending Dan Savage, who spoke at a University of Chicago event. He was accused by a student of hate speech because he used the word 'tranny' in the context of discussing the word itself.

In the context of university campuses, people can express their ideas freely in whatever courtyard/quadrangle, open patch of grass/cement they want. I would know, I see them every semester ranting about the gays, atheism, and whatever else they're on about. Only very rarely do I see people engage with them, and even rarer than that do I see people actively shout at them. The idea that just because they have ideas they have to be given an auditorium and a non-hostile audience to express them is ridiculous. If they want to pay for it? Fine, but I think you'll have a hard time convincing people whose entire ideology is to use talk circuits as graft to pay tens of thousands of dollars to rent out a university facility/staff.

No one is or should be required to pay to have these people use campus resources, which seems to be the entire problem with the "censorship" crowd.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh no how will outspoken newspaper editor dan savage overcome his vast petition writing and crying while room-leaving opposition

I think Dan's plan has something to do with cancer and murder.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ddraig posted:

Do Americans just not know what the 1st Amendment is or something? I'm a dirty limey bastard but even I know the first amendment applies to government attempts to censor free speech only.

Any random Joe can tell you repeatedly to shut the gently caress up and could follow you around with the world's greatest sound system and constantly drown out all your speech for the rest of your life and he wouldn't be violating your right to free speech.
To make a fetish of legalities and thereby protect the machinery of oppression: This is a twelfth type of liberalism.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

420DD Butts posted:

The idea that just because they have ideas they have to be given an auditorium and a non-hostile audience to express them is ridiculous.

'Don't need to be given a non-hostile audience' is a really odd way of removing agency from the concept of going to other people's talks and preventing them from speaking.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Free speech isn't simply a legal thing, like 'the government can't ban you from saying something'. It's a general principle that in a free and open society people should be allowed to express ideas that others (a majority, in fact) might find distasteful or wrong. And being allowed goes beyond the absence of government-supported censorship, it requires creating an environment where people can communicate without being ostracized, maligned, or worse.

Is people ostracizing or maligning NAMBLA or the American Nazi Party a violation of free speech? Because that's what you're saying here. Also by saying "you can't/shouldn't" malign this group" is an implicit violation of the maligner's free speech as you've defined it here.

TheImmigrant posted:

In a free marketplace of ideas, lovely ones won't gain any traction. Nothing to fear from them.

Haha, yeah, no one would run off to join a mass-murdering gang in Iraq to be used as cannon fodder, or believe the Queen of England is a shape-shifting alien lizard. Those lovely ideas would never gain traction!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

'Don't need to be given a non-hostile audience' is a really odd way of removing agency from the concept of going to other people's talks and preventing them from speaking.

Not really.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pedro De Heredia posted:

If the university is paying money to invite a speaker against the wishes of the campus at-large then I see no problem with it. The students are the ones paying tuition. If it's a private event hosted by a group then the hecklers will almost certainly be removed.

Though, I honestly haven't experienced this epidemic of dozens of people going to talks just to shut them down for no apparent reason so I'm not sure why this is even an issue.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sharkie posted:

Is people ostracizing or maligning NAMBLA or the American Nazi Party a violation of free speech? Because that's what you're saying here. Also by saying "you can't/shouldn't" malign this group" is an implicit violation of the maligner's free speech as you've defined it here.

There is a difference between criticizing speech and banning it. There are different levels of consequence to speech. There needs to be consequence to speech but not to the extent that it acts as a huge deterrent to communicating your ideas.

With NAMBLA or something like that, we know it's bad and we know it probably will remain bad. But in general, we don't know a priori which ideas are good and should be defended and which ideas are bad and should be destroyed, and that changes all the time. Most of the things people vigorously defend today are the things that are going to get them ostracized by their grandchildren.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

420DD Butts posted:

If the university is paying money to invite a speaker against the wishes of the campus at-large then I see no problem with it.

Neither do I, but I don't think this is very common. Most speakers aren't so divisive that they're going to generate such a negative reaction from a large, diverse student body.

In any case, that would basically be a problem between the university and the students, since the problem isn't the speaker's ideas, but that the university doesn't care about the students' opinions. So why go be hostile to the speaker?

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 29, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharkie posted:

Haha, yeah, no one would run off to join a mass-murdering gang in Iraq to be used as cannon fodder, or believe the Queen of England is a shape-shifting alien lizard. Those lovely ideas would never gain traction!
Are you talking about ISIS or the US Army there? I actually remember a campus group that was taking the attitude of the former with regards to hollering at people talking to recruiters.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There is a difference between criticizing speech and banning it. There are different levels of consequence to speech. There needs to be consequence to speech but not to the extent that it acts as a huge deterrent to communicating your ideas.

As for NAMBLA or whatever, it's always easy to bring the most negative examples possible. With NAMBLA or something like that, we know it's bad and we know it probably will remain bad. But we don't know a priori which ideas are good and should be defended and which ideas are bad and should be destroyed, and that changes all the time. A lot of speech we know consider good is stuff that sixty, seventy years ago would have been considered deranged and downright criminal. And many of these really aggressive arguments against types of speech are between groups with similar politics, instead of some left-right debate.

Sorry, but your ideas aren't very well-formed, at least not as expressed here. I agree that there is a difference between criticizing speech and banning it. But you also say that:

quote:

Free speech isn't simply a legal thing... It's a general principle that in a free and open society people should be allowed to express ideas that others (a majority, in fact) might find distasteful or wrong. And being allowed goes beyond the absence of government-supported censorship, it requires creating an environment where people can communicate without being ostracized, maligned

So while you say that there can and should be consequences to speech, you think that the consequences should be limited so that they should not act as a "huge deterrent" to speech. First of all, what do you mean by "huge deterrent," and how is it different from a non-huge deterrent? Do you mean that you should be allowed to criticize speech as long as it does not lead to ostracizing or maligning? Why shouldn't you be allowed to malign something like NAMBLA, or "Lizard people rule the world" (to be clear, I don't think these ideas are equally bad)? Is calling it crazy bullshit maligning it?

Also, you still haven't resolved the inherent contradiction of saying we need to create an environment where people can communicate, but that communication which is a "huge deterrent," or "maligns," someone else's speech, should be stopped, which by your terms is a violation of free speech. It comes across as you wanting free speech, unless it's too critical or harsh, in which case it's unsupportable by society.

Your second paragraph is just a restatement of the marketplace of ideas. Any conceivable thought might be acceptable at some hypothetical future time; you're using this to say we shouldn't too harshly condemn - through speech, not government action - ideas that seem harmful or reprehensible.

Nessus posted:

Are you talking about ISIS or the US Army there? I actually remember a campus group that was taking the attitude of the former with regards to hollering at people talking to recruiters.

I meant ISIS, but I appreciate the humor of the ambiguity :v:

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 29, 2014

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkie posted:

When you look at the numbers (a few hundred, tops), I'd say that no, ISIS has not gained traction in the West.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Conservatives should shut the gently caress up there that's my exchanging ideas in a free marketplace

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheImmigrant posted:

When you look at the numbers (a few hundred, tops), I'd say that no, ISIS has not gained traction in the West.

I'm going to assume you're not ignorant and instead are just trying to nitpick for whatever reason. I'm sure you're aware of any number of lovely ideas that have gained traction in the United States. The Klan had millions of members in the 20s...the fact that this declined doesn't controvert the idea that it did, in fact, gain traction. Segregation was a lovely idea. Prohibition was a failure. That's off the top of my head in 20th century America. The Dutch Tulip Bubble was a lovely idea. Mao advocating for the slaughter of sparrows leading to massive locust plagues was a lovely idea. And so on. To claim that lovely ideas do not gain traction is to ignore all of human history.

edit: I suppose one could define "lovely idea" as an idea that doesn't gain traction, but then that's a tautology.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ernie Muppari posted:

Did you ever notice how Dan Savage became William F. Buckley? I didn't notice until just now

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkie posted:

I'm going to assume you're not ignorant and instead are just trying to nitpick for whatever reason. I'm sure you're aware of any number of lovely ideas that have gained traction in the United States. The Klan had millions of members in the 20s...the fact that this declined doesn't controvert the idea that it did, in fact, gain traction. Segregation was a lovely idea. Prohibition was a failure. That's off the top of my head in 20th century America. The Dutch Tulip Bubble was a lovely idea. Mao advocating for the slaughter of sparrows leading to massive locust plagues was a lovely idea. And so on. To claim that lovely ideas do not gain traction is to ignore all of human history.

What do you suggest? That we (those of us who Think Correctly, at least) appoint someone to determine what are lovely Ideas, and prohibit their expression? Sunlight truly is the best disinfectant.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheImmigrant posted:

What do you suggest? That we (those of us who Think Correctly, at least) appoint someone to determine what are lovely Ideas, and prohibit their expression? Sunlight truly is the best disinfectant.

I'm suggesting that

TheImmigrant posted:

...In a free marketplace of ideas, lovely ones won't gain any traction. Nothing to fear from them.

is wrong.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

It kinda depends. Some lovely ideas should be attacked via explanations of why they're lovely. Other lovely ideas are actually based on lovely premises, and you can't really argue against them.

The expression 'sunlight is the best disinfectant' is a really fatuously trite phrase, which is obvious if you think about it for five seconds. Some ideas thrive in the 'sunlight', like racism. Racism is not, at heart, a secret bias on the part of individuals, it is a societal-wide phenomenon. It is not just a collection of individual racist acts. Having racism expressed in public and just 'debated' rather than attacked or shamed does, indeed, encourage more racism, and allow racists equal standing. People who espouse racist ideas should be attacked on the basis of being loving awful people and horrible unethical; it's not that racism is illogical. We're not Vulcans. That's not how human society, nor argument, operates.

Historically, very lovely ideas have gained tons of traction, repeatedly, to the extent that you saying it seems to be declaring a lack of any knowledge of human history. lovely ideas, whether you're talking ethical, practical, or philosophical, have caught on frequently, often precisely because they're lovely. Ayn Rand, for example, and her crude paleo-philosophy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
nazis were popular, for a time

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

TheImmigrant posted:

Strange that you say that on this thread, where the sneering has already begun.

Universities are very tolerant places when it comes to superficial things like skin color or piercings or sexual orientation, so long as everyone has similar ideas.

If one of those "ideas" is that the very concept of sexual orientation isn't legitimate, which is something social conservatives often believe, how exactly do you expect liberals to address that view?" People in general don't tend to take too kindly to "your very existence is wrong/illegitimate" as an argument. I have no issue with people expressing these views but I think it's absurd to expect certain views that basically boil down to attacks against certain minority groups to be treated with kind and polite opposition.

EDIT: A more succinct way if saying what I just posted is that "you must tolerate my intolerance" is a fallacy. The concept of tolerance by definition requires intolerance of intolerant views.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 29, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

look if you disagree with me then just shut up and silently disagree while i continue talking

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

420DD Butts posted:

The problem is that in some cases, extremists will physically block entrances or pull fire alarms to stop sanctioned talks from happening, and not a finger is lifted to stop them (and god help you if you do anything to ensure that your activity proceeds as planned)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

on the left posted:

The problem is that in some cases, extremists will physically block entrances or pull fire alarms to stop sanctioned talks from happening, and not a finger is lifted to stop them (and god help you if you do anything to ensure that your activity proceeds as planned)

all the time im erious

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

on the left posted:

This is a common thing and not at all in the fever dreams of 'persecuted' conservatives.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Actually, something not too dissimilar happened just last week in the UK which has a bearing on the issue of students' - or activist groups who claim to speak for them - current enthusiasm for the censorship of wrongthink. The author was attending a debate on abortion at Oxford University (for the pro-choice position, which should make him sufficiently Correct for D&D to tolerate) and the event was cancelled because of threats of "disruption" because the speakers both had the wrong chromosomes.

quote:

This is what those censorious Cambridgers meant when they kept saying they have the ‘right to be comfortable’. They weren’t talking about the freedom to lay down on a chaise longue — they meant the right never to be challenged by disturbing ideas or mind-battered by offensiveness. At precisely the time they should be leaping brain-first into the rough and tumble of grown-up, testy discussion, students are cushioning themselves from anything that has the whiff of controversy. We’re witnessing the victory of political correctness by stealth. As the annoying ‘PC gone mad!’ brigade banged on and on about extreme instances of PC — schools banning ‘Baa Baa, Black Sheep’, etc. — nobody seems to have noticed that the key tenets of PC, from the desire to destroy offensive lingo to the urge to re-educate apparently corrupted minds, have been swallowed whole by a new generation. This is a disaster, for it means our universities are becoming breeding grounds of dogmatism. As John Stuart Mill said, if we don’t allow our opinion to be ‘fully, frequently, and fearlessly discussed’, then that opinion will be ‘held as a dead dogma, not a living truth’.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ernie Muppari posted:

look if you disagree with me then just shut up and silently disagree while i continue talking

Unironically was taught this in public education. Anyone giving a speech about something you disagree with, you weren't allowed to interrupt, debate or even discuss afterwards.

• Locked thread