Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't think of any reason to post this other than to try and diminish the nature and impact of northern racism. I mean, otherwise what's the point? Both areas are extremely racist to such an extent that it's completely pointless to squabble over which is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ytlaya posted:

I can't think of any reason to post this other than to try and diminish the nature and impact of northern racism. I mean, otherwise what's the point? Both areas are extremely racist to such an extent that it's completely pointless to squabble over which is worse.

I dunno, I mean there's a great opportunity for a cross-cultural exchange here. Southerners learn how to set up neighborhood school districts and reroute planned highway projects to destroy black neighborhoods, and Rudy Giuliani gets to say on national tv with utmost sincerity that white police officers are the only thing keeping the savage blacks from murdering each other in fits of primal jungle rage. Really, it's a win-win all around.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

comes along bort posted:

I dunno, I mean there's a great opportunity for a cross-cultural exchange here. Southerners learn how to set up neighborhood school districts and reroute planned highway projects to destroy black neighborhoods, and Rudy Giuliani gets to say on national tv with utmost sincerity that white police officers are the only thing keeping the savage blacks from murdering each other in fits of primal jungle rage. Really, it's a win-win all around.

Oregonians can teach you how to open up boutique cupcake shops in traditional black neighborhoods until the black people have to move to Portland's lovely suburbs!

...at least that is the joke, but that is not what I really think.

I guess that is what I used to think, that things like gentrification were just another type of racism. Because, as a conscientious person raised in the Pacific Northwest, I kind of grew up with self-doubt as an important principle. But, as this thread would suggest, I am kind of breaking away from that: I just can't look at things like gentrification as racist in the way that Alabama putting "Anti-Sharia Law" in their constitution is racist, or Tom Cotton claiming that Mexican drug cartels are going to start working with ISIS.

Basically, I am tired of being overly "fair" and trying to pretend that these things are equivalent. The racism I saw in Oregon was usually from condescending and ignorance, and I just don't think it is the same as the attempt by southern politicians to outcrazy each other.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Someone like Ta-Nehisi Coates would argue that gentrification is part of the same racism which leads to Tom Cotton or Steve King or anti-Sharia laws, and that you can't separate the two kinds of acts to declare one worse than the other without removing all meaning from the term. And he'd be right.

In fact if you haven't, you should read his article on reparations, especially the section on property.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

glowing-fish posted:

Basically, I am tired of being overly "fair" and trying to pretend that these things are equivalent. The racism I saw in Oregon was usually from condescending and ignorance, and I just don't think it is the same as the attempt by southern politicians to outcrazy each other.
Yeah, a pointless and unenforceable anti-Sharia law is way worse than forcing black people out of their homes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

It looks like controlling for % of the population, more black people are killed outside of the South:

glowing-fish posted:

Oregonians can teach you how to open up boutique cupcake shops in traditional black neighborhoods until the black people have to move to Portland's lovely suburbs!

If we're going historical, they can also show you the merits of banning black people from the state entirely.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

comes along bort posted:

Someone like Ta-Nehisi Coates would argue that gentrification is part of the same racism which leads to Tom Cotton or Steve King or anti-Sharia laws, and that you can't separate the two kinds of acts to declare one worse than the other without removing all meaning from the term. And he'd be right.

In fact if you haven't, you should read his article on reparations, especially the section on property.

How is gentrification the same as racism? It is a couple steps removed from any specifically hateful or fearful act- an effect of such racism rather than a manifestation of it. It seems to me that at this point we need another, better word for the effects that racism has on society. That word as of now of course, is racism, but if opening a cupcake shop in a black neighborhood is racism then how are you ever gonna get people to take the problem seriously? It is true that fear based racism and systemic racism are intimately linked, but to deny any distinction between the two seems like a mistake born out of idealism. Ultimately, nothing will get better until white American moderates become more comfortable talking about race, and an overly broad conceptualization of racism which extends from lynchings to gentrification seems like a bad way to achieve this goal.

e: yes I've read the article

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2014

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

...at least that is the joke, but that is not what I really think.

I guess that is what I used to think, that things like gentrification were just another type of racism. Because, as a conscientious person raised in the Pacific Northwest, I kind of grew up with self-doubt as an important principle. But, as this thread would suggest, I am kind of breaking away from that: I just can't look at things like gentrification as racist in the way that Alabama putting "Anti-Sharia Law" in their constitution is racist, or Tom Cotton claiming that Mexican drug cartels are going to start working with ISIS.

I can emphasize with you from a NW standpoint of self-doubt. As a straight guy working for an LGBT organization I've found myself having to justify my support for a cause I don't directly relate to.

How I have chosen to deal with these sorts of situations is to refer to things in class conscious ways. I can make arguments about racial inequality till the cows come home, but as straight white man those arguments will fall flat, and the most I can do is throw my support 100% behind those are making the arguments from the proper backgrounds and experiences. I can bolster a minorities argument with my own from a different angle but cannot make that argument myself. IMO politics is a blood sport fueled by self interest, and if your position can't in some way be framed in self-interest you will get nowhere with the more ruthless/racist/sexist/masochist brokers of power. It's why SJW(skeletons) from upper-middle class backgrounds on the interwebs gives everyone such a bad taste in their mouth. They argue from a viewpoint they don't exist in which weakens the case of those arguing from true experience, self-interest.

Because I'm poor and come from a working class background I can relate these circumstances to others around me. What I can do is show how decisions made at higher levels of government/corporate policy can affect the poor, which disproportionately falls along racial lines.

In the NW I would argue the problem is more class base than race based, but again this is how I've chosen to define my arguments as I can come from a point of strength on my own experiences.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Everyone is racist but for most of its political history the South has been ruled by a collection of egregious comic book villains and that's what is unique.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

How is gentrification the same as racism? It is a couple steps removed from any specifically hateful or fearful act- an effect of such racism rather than a manifestation of it.

Gentrification is rooted in racist ideals from the mid-20th century that are finally maturing. Gentrification itself isn't explicitly racist but it has a deeply racist legacy. Gentrification in America is the grandchild of White Flight and the great-grandchild of Redlining. If those hadn't happened, there wouldn't be large sections of concentrated black poverty in American cities to exploit.

glowing-fish posted:

The first time in my life I ever went three whole days without seeing a black person was in Portland, Oregon.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 28, 2014

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, we get the picture that North was Free, South was Slave, but it was not at all like that. Aside from the border states, it must be remembered that most of the Northern states only began abolishing slavery in the late 1700s/early 1800s. New York state only abolished it in 1828 for instance, with a grace period of indentured servitude.. New Jersey ended it in 1804, but only for children born to slaves, not the slaves themselves, so there may very well have been a few old slaves there when war broke out.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, we get the picture that North was Free, South was Slave, but it was not at all like that. Aside from the border states, it must be remembered that most of the Northern states only began abolishing slavery in the late 1700s/early 1800s. New York state only abolished it in 1828 for instance, with a grace period of indentured servitude.. New Jersey ended it in 1804, but only for children born to slaves, not the slaves themselves, so there may very well have been a few old slaves there when war broke out.

That may seem like an important distinction to you, and it might be a more compelling fact if the civil war never happened and the other states just sort of gave up slavery a little later. But in this universe, some of the states started a war that killed thousands upon thousands of Americans because they didn't want to end slavery, and the other ones did not do that. So yes it was at all like that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

If we're going historical, they can also show you the merits of banning black people from the state entirely.

Also, being the birthplace of the 1920s pyramid-scheme KKK iteration.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Modern Day Hercules posted:

That may seem like an important distinction to you, and it might be a more compelling fact if the civil war never happened and the other states just sort of gave up slavery a little later. But in this universe, some of the states started a war that killed thousands upon thousands of Americans because they didn't want to end slavery, and the other ones did not do that. So yes it was at all like that.

Right. South bad. North good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Miltank posted:

How is gentrification the same as racism? It is a couple steps removed from any specifically hateful or fearful act- an effect of such racism rather than a manifestation of it.

But it is a manifestation of the same systemic inequality that leads to more violent acts. It can't exist without that inequality.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Gentrification is rooted in racist ideals from the mid-20th century that are finally maturing. Gentrification itself isn't explicitly racist but it has a deeply racist legacy. Gentrification in America is the grandchild of White Flight and the great-grandchild of Redlining. If those hadn't happened, there wouldn't be large sections of concentrated black poverty in American cities to exploit.

Exactly. The big point is it's still a removal of black agency.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 28, 2014

DayReaver
May 6, 2007
Guy Debord is the only one who gets my name
Racism exists in different forms in different regions of the country. There's a quip I heard a while back that rings really true with me, having lived in both the most conservative (deep South) and liberal (NorCal) parts of the country. It goes something along the lines of, 'the south hates the black community but loves the black man, while the north loves the black community but hates the black man.'

Southerners might bitch about affirmative action and make thinly veiled (if veiled at all) racist remarks, but I actually think a southerner is probably much more likely to treat a black person as just another person in one on one encounters. I've heard in places like Chicago white people are basically mortified of interactions with black people, and I can say from experience living in a mixed neighborhood in California that there's some minor interaction between the white and black communities, but they're still very isolated from each other, despite living amongst each other. If you're a young black professional and you want to have a career and middle class lifestyle with the least amount of prejudicial barriers, in my mind you move to D.C. or Atlanta, not the Northeast or West Coast.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BlueBlazer posted:

In the NW I would argue the problem is more class base than race based, but again this is how I've chosen to define my arguments as I can come from a point of strength on my own experiences.

In general, if an issue like this is class based rather than race based, it's only because there's not a lot of that particular minority in the area.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The reasons for the higher rates in segregation in housing in the North as opposed to the South has more to do with the way poor minorities moved into the north after WWII. In the south segregation developed naturally from the old slave and sharecropper systems. There were always black people in these places mixed in with whites. Black vs. White neighborhoods didn't develop all at once but slowly over time. This creates a much more confusing checkerboard of segregation in the south.

Enabled by higher wages and drawn by hopes that northerners would treat them better, a lot of black people tried to move north after WWII. But because of deficiencies in US mortgage laws they were unable to get proper mortgages in the nicer areas where they wanted to buy houses. Instead they had to take predatory loans from sleazy loan companies, whose extremely inequitable terms forced black families into increasing amounts of debt. Ultimately this led to them being unable to pay these debts without resorting to working extreme extra hours or taking other jobs. Consequently their homes fell into disrepair, and their children were often without supervision. At this point the loan companies moved back in and offered to buy the white peoples homes. Most refused, but a few accepted. So the predatory loan companies repeated this process bringing in more black families, and offering to buy out white ones. But when they came back to the white families they told them their property had devalued and offered them less. So the whites sold out afraid their property would soon be worthless. Soon whole neighborhoods were black and in debt. And they began expanding block by block. The white people didn't understand any of this. All they saw was black people move in, property values go down, they are forced to sellout for less then half of the properties value. But until US mortgage laws were modified in the 70's these segregated neighborhoods were the only place poor black people could find housing in Northern cities. By that point it had become obvious to the black community that the north wasn't some magical solution to racism, so the migration had slowed.

The North and South are both racist. There is a subtle racism of assumptions and apathy that is present both North and South. This is the "bad neighborhood' crowd or the "black on black crime" crowd's domain. Also the criminal justice system is broken regardless of whether you are north or south of the Mason/Dixon line. The main difference between North and South is in the ways overt racism shows up outside of those contexts. It tends to be based more on individual attitudes and actions in the North, while in the South it tends to be ingrained within a larger cultural consensus. In the North you get the loudmouth who thinks black people are lazy and loves the word friend of the family and doesn't get why everyone thinks it's inappropriate. In the South you get segregated proms. A better way of putting it might be that Northerners treat blacks like foreigners who are 'invading,' while Southerners treat them more like second-class citizens whom they have become resigned to living besides. These are broad generalizations of course. You see all of these things to some degree in all areas.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

caleramaen posted:

But because of deficiencies in US mortgage laws they were unable to get proper mortgages in the nicer areas where they wanted to buy houses.

i dunno if you can call something a deficiency when it's deliberately engineered into the system

caleramaen posted:

Instead they had to take predatory loans from sleazy loan companies, whose extremely inequitable terms forced black families into increasing amounts of debt. Ultimately this led to them being unable to pay these debts without resorting to working extreme extra hours or taking other jobs. Consequently their homes fell into disrepair, and their children were often without supervision. At this point the loan companies moved back in and offered to buy the white peoples homes. Most refused, but a few accepted. So the predatory loan companies repeated this process bringing in more black families, and offering to buy out white ones. But when they came back to the white families they told them their property had devalued and offered them less. So the whites sold out afraid their property would soon be worthless. Soon whole neighborhoods were black and in debt. And they began expanding block by block. The white people didn't understand any of this. All they saw was black people move in, property values go down, they are forced to sellout for less then half of the properties value. But until US mortgage laws were modified in the 70's these segregated neighborhoods were the only place poor black people could find housing in Northern cities. By that point it had become obvious to the black community that the north wasn't some magical solution to racism, so the migration had slowed.

i am confused as hell by this and i've written many words about FHLA

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 29, 2014

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I would say the difference is active malice vs passive apathy.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

glowing-fish posted:

Because, as a conscientious person raised in the Pacific Northwest

how many asians died building railroads round your parts and had their grandchildren sent to internment camps

Seriously how does a thread about racism completely ignore anything besides blacks v whites.

JeffersonClay posted:

Racism in American history you might be discounting:

1) Treatment of native peoples.
2) Immigration policy.
3) The German American Bund.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Yea, the title itself is a bad question.

Racism is a problem. Full stop.
Racism is a problem in the Southern US. Full stop.
Racism is a problem in America. Full stop.

There is no where an 'or' should go between any of those statements.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

i dunno if you can call something a deficiency when it's deliberately engineered into the system
I agree, but I know virtually nothing about the mechanics of the FHLA, so I decided on "polite understatement" as the tone of my generalization.

i am confused as hell by this and i've written many words about FHLA

Yeah it's drat confusing, and I tried finding the book it was based on before I posted, but no such luck. I read it a few years ago after author came and spoke at my school. I can't even remember the name now. It basically describes a vicious cycle between predatory lenders who give economically crippling loans to black families with one hand, and buy up houses belonging to neighboring whites with the other. The key component of the loans was that if the lendee missed even a single payment they would lose the house and any money they had previously paid. And since the same company now owned the houses they could keep doing this over and over again. So to pay the loans and their very high interest rates many black families had to work multiple jobs. They had no time to do things like mow the lawn or do basic home maintenance. This fed into pre-existing white stereotypes of black people being lazy and motivated more whites in the neighborhood into selling to those same lenders who were now offering less money. And threatening to pay less the next time they came around. These neighborhoods became the nuclei around which the massive black ghettos would grow in the north.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The book I read about it was called A Consumers' Republic. What you said was pretty much spot on.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Gentrification is a class-driven issue. The tying of race to class through economic discrimination makes it seem like a race-driven issue but the practice of driving up property values by the gentry to expropriate/drive out the poor predates the racial era; that was how rural landlords drove peasants from the land in order to convert feudal agriculture to fall under the capitalist-industrial mode of production. It also had the effect of forcing people to no longer be able to work the land and have to sell their labor in cities.

Recently, cities like London or Rio de Janero have used sports tournaments like the world cup or the olympics as an excuse to renovate and force out citizens from poorer areas that are seen as a blight on their precious image on TV cameras and tourist postcards. Though the newham london area being one of the Least White areas in britain and the favelas being 68.4% mixed race or black vs a 47.7% mixed race or black composition of all of Rio de Janero does beg the question of what motivates it nowadays: are poors the undesireables or are wrongblooded folks the undesireables in politicians' eyes?

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 29, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Khorne posted:

The north east's racism, ouside of really poor areas or genuine racists which exist everywhere, is more like an expectation of racial tension than it is hating a person/race for being a race. At least in MA that's what I have experienced, and it's usually diffused by one or both parties being friendly. When I spent time in arizona/florida/alabama, a bunch of people I met were just openly racist when not in public. Spouting ridiculous poo poo about how all of a certain race were this or that and should be this or that. It was ridiculous, and it's not something you hear up north at all even amongst people I'd consider racist up here.

If you think there's no racism in MA, try talking to a white person about Dorchester or the Orange Line. I guess "expectation of racial tension" is your way of referring to the common belief among Northerners that venturing into a predominantly-black neighborhood (or even a subway line passing through those neighborhoods) will probably get you murdered? In my experience, Northerners are pretty racist too, it's just that the way in which that racism manifests and is expressed happens in different ways for cultural and environmental reasons. In the south, the relatively high minority population means that people are more apt to be openly racist, whereas in the highly segregated north, "bad neighborhood" is the preferred code word for poo poo-talking minorities and social policies can often be targeted against those specific neighborhoods. Systematic racism (discrimination by cops, teachers, lawyers, judges, and potential employers) is equally prevalent loving everywhere, regardless of whether or not the practitioners are overtly racist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

caleramaen posted:

Yeah it's drat confusing, and I tried finding the book it was based on before I posted, but no such luck.

no i get the concept the sequence of words is confusing

in the 1950's roughly, white real estate agents would simultaneously sell properties to black families while brokering the sale of homes between white families and black families. all you had to do was sell one house to a black family. don't worry, everyone on the block would notice. it was in your interest for them to notice.

once a single black family moved in, you could convince all the other white people that the days of sodom were here, there goes the neighborhood, might as well sell to me now. so you got a bunch of houses for cheap, because everyone on the block was selling. you'd turn around and sell these houses to black families, at a markup, using said predatory lenders because if you weren't a WASP you legally couldn't get a good mortgage thanks FHLA

like you can track neighborhoods flipping from predominantly white to predominantly black in the span of 5 years

caleramaen posted:

So to pay the loans and their very high interest rates many black families had to work multiple jobs.

this has more to do with the fact that white people weren't just fleeing the cities as part of suburbanization, jobs were also moving to the suburbs. you can think of the years 1945-1990 as the years in america where white people were busy looting everything good about american cities and building little bullshit disneyland cities in the suburbs

Rodatose posted:

Recently, cities like London or Rio de Janero

wanna point out that cities which weren't subject to automobility pressure in the mid 20th century have completely different methods and processes of gentrification, even though the outcome is exactly the same

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Also re: antebellum racism, it's important to note that while everywhere was racist Northerners really weren't down with literally owning black people like the South and part of big issue was Southerners exerting their political power to be able to enforce their institution in northern territories, even to the point of turning non-slave states into enforces of rounding up blacks to bring back to the South as slaves. I think using our modern lens of "what's racist" really kind of dilutes the dynamics at play of the time.

U.S. Grant gives a pretty good summary of what the "moderate position" of the North was at the time of the buildup to Civil War I think:

quote:

THE CAUSE of the great War of the Rebellion against the United Status will have to be attributed to slavery. For some years before the war began it was a trite saying among some politicians that “A state half slave and half free cannot exist.” All must become slave or all free, or the state will go down. I took no part myself in any such view of the case at the time, but since the war is over, reviewing the whole question, I have come to the conclusion that the saying is quite true.

Slavery was an institution that required unusual guarantees for its security wherever it existed; and in a country like ours where the larger portion of it was free territory inhabited by an intelligent and well-to-do population, the people would naturally have but little sympathy with demands upon them for its protection. Hence the people of the South were dependent upon keeping control of the general government to secure the perpetuation of their favorite restitution. They were enabled to maintain this control long after the States where slavery existed had ceased to have the controlling power, through the assistance they received from odd men here and there throughout the Northern States. They saw their power waning, and this led them to encroach upon the prerogatives and independence of the Northern States by enacting such laws as the Fugitive Slave Law. By this law every Northern man was obliged, when properly summoned, to turn out and help apprehend the runaway slave of a Southern man. Northern marshals became slave-catchers, and Northern courts had to contribute to the support and protection of the institution.
This was a degradation which the North would not permit any longer than until they could get the power to expunge such laws from the statute books. Prior to the time of these encroachments the great majority of the people of the North had no particular quarrel with slavery, so long as they were not forced to have it themselves. But they were not willing to play the role of police for the South in the protection of this particular institution.

http://www.bartleby.com/1011/101.html

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

wanna point out that cities which weren't subject to automobility pressure in the mid 20th century have completely different methods and processes of gentrification, even though the outcome is exactly the same

agreed. I shoulda said that that was a recent example of one way it goes down, not The Way, sorry for unclearness

Another recent example: a repost (from some thread about how now first ring suburbs are being abandoned with civil services going into disrepair from lack of funding as wealthier folks move back into cities to gentrify them) about gentrification of east harlem:

[post]My point was more that East Harlem being gentrified so it's becoming increasingly unaffordable to old locals yet new yuppies can afford the raising prices in harlem so the makeup of the place is changing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/realestate/harlem-back-after-a-short-nap.html

quote:

During the same period, the median price in Central Harlem — the area from Morningside Avenue to the west and Fifth Avenue to the east, and from 110th Street north to 125th Street — jumped by nearly 18 percent, to $536,635. In East Harlem, from 97th Street to 125th Street east of Fifth Avenue, the median price increased by nearly 5 percent, to $440,000, in 2011.

This compares with an increase of just over 1 percent for all of Manhattan, according to Streeteasy data.

“We have a flower shop, a cute cafe down the street and a ton of hip new restaurants that have opened,” said Melody Rollins Downes, who with her husband, Quintano Downes, recently spent $1.95 million on a renovated brownstone on West 120th Street, a few doors down from Ms. Aguirre and Mr. Feazell. Before the building was renovated, “it was a crack house and the basement level was a gambling spot,” she said. “But now, this whole block has been transformed and there is really a great vibe up here.”

Norman Horowitz, an executive vice president of Halstead Property who has sold several hundred properties over the last decade in Harlem, said, “Harlem was gentrifying before the recession, then there was a pause, and now the trend is picking up again.”

quote:

Census data maps show significant drops in the African-American population in traditional strongholds like Harlem and Central Brooklyn from 2000 to 2010. And between 2010 and 2011, the median housing prices in central Harlem jumped by over 18 percent, The New York Times reported.

http://thesource.com/2014/02/22/gentrification-from-an-east-harlem-perspective/

quote:

Building owners usually stop artists from having art studios, so some buildings have beautiful art and murals on them. The tragedy of an artist is to make a neighborhood so beautiful that they themselves cannot live there. Neighborhood notoriety affects existing businesses in the area as well. Small businesses have no protection. For example, on one commercial strip in East Harlem, five businesses got kicked out in the span of 30 days. The landlord wanted more rent and made it hard on them and that’s an endemic problem. East Harlem is full of culture and there is also Central Harlem and the whole Harlem Renaissance that people created. You may have their pictures in a café, but the residents no longer live there. The people outside the neighborhood are benefiting from gentrification.

http://thegrio.com/2013/12/16/harlem-race-and-gentrification-black-gentrifiers-reflect-on-their-role-in-the-changing-harlem-landscape/2/

quote:

Yes, Harlem is becoming more chic and culturally stimulating due to an array of influences powered by monied African-Americans. Yet, restaurants and related entertainments there are still a very big business — and surprisingly political in their operation. “Forty-four percent of the businesses that are part of Harlem Park to Park are in the food and drink industry,” said Hendricks.

and this whole article is a parade of first world yuppie complaints

quote:

Many neighbors agree that their genteel enclave of brownstones in the heart of Harlem does need a shop where they can pick up, say, a good cabernet for a dinner party.

But the liquor store seeking to open on Lenox Avenue near 119th Street is decidedly not what they have in mind.

With its roll-down steel gate, its bulletproof plexiglass to guard against robbers and drunken vagrants, and its flamboyant red-and-yellow sign, the store is a throwback to the old crime-ridden, ramshackle Harlem, some neighbors say, not the reborn Harlem they have been advancing during the past decade.

“We want to be Park Slope with charming little stores and become a destination for people,” said Ruthann Richert, a 25-year resident who is treasurer of a local group, the Mount Morris Park Community Improvement Association. “A store like that is going to attract the people hanging out, drinking wine, so if you’re looking to buy a $30 bottle of wine, you’re not going to go in there.”

Laurent Delly, a Haitian-born engineer and real estate agent who is the association’s vice president, was especially unhappy with the sign.

“I wouldn’t use the word ghetto, but I would say it’s garish,” he said.

The association has gotten the city’s Department of Buildings to stop construction work at the liquor store, mostly because the owner did not get permission from the Landmarks Preservation Commission to change the appearance of the building, in what is designated the Mount Morris Park Historic District.

Berihu Mesfin, the owner of the liquor store, said his landlord had authorized the sign, which he said was similar to that of a beauty parlor that had been in the same space. He also said he had been advised to get plexiglass barriers for security. He said he was willing to make some changes to placate neighbors, but noted that he had already spent $3,500 on signage. “It’s expensive,” he said. “I have to talk to management.”

The advent of the liquor store has crystallized the tensions that flow from a neighborhood in metamorphosis. Almost every brownstone that in the 1980s was abandoned or city-owned is now fetching a price of $3 million, with individual condominiums going for $1 million. Residents include the poet Maya Angelou and the documentary filmmaker Albert Maysles.

Cafes, cheerful flower and toy shops, and fine restaurants like Settepani, where former President Bill Clinton had a birthday party, are taking over once-forlorn spaces. Crime in the 28th Precinct, which includes the area, has dropped by 70 percent in less than two decades, with 6 murders in 2010, compared with 41 in 1990. The ambience is Bloomsbury-like, calm and demure.

But what residents call the second Harlem Renaissance has made the neighborhood less congenial for poorer residents who may want a cheap liquor store, a bodega that accepts food stamps or a place to cash welfare checks.

“I don’t see a problem with liquor,” said Rooster Pickering, a 65-year-old unemployed construction worker who was idling with three other men on a stoop next to the liquor store. “The smaller people, they’re trying to push them out.”

One woman who lives in a brownstone and who asked not to be identified said she worried that the campaign against the liquor store might take on an “elitist tone.”

Yet others argue that they have won the right to push for a more decorous neighborhood, having been pioneers when much of the area was in tatters and plagued by crack cocaine and violence.

“I feel I’ve earned my stripes,” said Leah Abraham, an Ethiopian immigrant who opened Settepani with her husband, Nino Settepani, 10 years ago and moved into a Harlem brownstone five years ago. “I was held up at gunpoint twice. I strongly believe I’m doing good in the community. Everybody wants the best.”

[picture] Leah Abraham, a restaurateur, is one of the store's critics.

The struggle sometimes has a racial and class edge because gentrification has attracted an influx of white and black professionals and an outflow of poorer blacks. The historic district stretches over 16 blocks from West 118th Street to 124th Street, roughly taking in the west side of Lenox Avenue almost to Fifth Avenue. Its collection of Gilded Age town houses and Romanesque Revival churches is regarded as among the city’s grandest. (The park itself was renamed Marcus Garvey Park in 1973 after the Jamaica-born black nationalist leader.)

When Ms. Richert moved to Harlem in 1987, many of the buildings were boarded up, and she remembers kicking crack vials aside while walking with her two children.

All that changed with increasing investments and the steady stream of newcomers glad to pick up handsome brownstones for $250,000. The invigorated Mount Morris Park neighborhood became a draw for sightseeing buses and movie locations. With its wide sidewalks, Lenox Avenue, also known as Malcolm X Boulevard, was once again thought of as “our Champs-Elysée,” Mr. Delly said.

Lenox Avenue still has ragged grocery stores, but members of the association view the liquor store as a brash newcomer that must obey the new unwritten rules.

“It’s not the business we disagree with, it’s the aesthetics,” Ms. Richert said.

Ms. Abraham said the liquor store owner thought he was doing good in opening the store.

“I don’t begrudge him that,” she said. “But he didn’t study the neighborhood. You could get away with this 20 years ago. You can’t today.”
quick edit: the last bit about 'the aesthetics' reminds me of the line about how "Gentrifiers focus on aesthetics, not people. Because people, to them, are aesthetics."[/post]

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Unsurprisingly, a nation founded on the corpses of natives and the backs of african slaves might struggle with racism even after 200 years have passed. The North/South dichotomy is overblown. It also paints an incomplete picture of discrimination against minority groups that are not black.

Concentration camps built to contain Japanese Americans in World War II, for instance, were a travesty. They were also motivated by irrational racial concerns instead of homeland security, because the FBI at the time, who had made a point of observing the JA community since the turn of the century, swore up and down that they were not a threat. The Japanese government considered them "unreliable". But I guess we couldn't afford a concentration camp gap and lose to the Nazis,so here we are.

Or, for a more contemporary example, discrimination against the Arab American community after 9/11 was quite severe (and is still a sizable problem.) Prejudice against latinos and other immigrants is rampant in California, which is not typically considered a southern state. The doctrine of white supremacy is coded into the law of the land, and while a lot of it has been grandfathered in, the harsh resistance to removing it is a good indication that we still have a lot of work to do if we want to create society where everyone is actually equally protected under the law. So do many other countries, of course, but the question was about America.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dazzling Addar posted:

Unsurprisingly, a nation founded on the corpses of natives and the backs of african slaves might struggle with racism even after 200 years have passed. The North/South dichotomy is overblown. It also paints an incomplete picture of discrimination against minority groups that are not black.

Concentration camps built to contain Japanese Americans in World War II, for instance, were a travesty. They were also motivated by irrational racial concerns instead of homeland security, because the FBI at the time, who had made a point of observing the JA community since the turn of the century, swore up and down that they were not a threat. The Japanese government considered them "unreliable". But I guess we couldn't afford a concentration camp gap and lose to the Nazis,so here we are.

Or, for a more contemporary example, discrimination against the Arab American community after 9/11 was quite severe (and is still a sizable problem.) Prejudice against latinos and other immigrants is rampant in California, which is not typically considered a southern state. The doctrine of white supremacy is coded into the law of the land, and while a lot of it has been grandfathered in, the harsh resistance to removing it is a good indication that we still have a lot of work to do if we want to create society where everyone is actually equally protected under the law. So do many other countries, of course, but the question was about America.

Keep in mind that while California, and other south western states, have mixed histories during the Civil War, their acquisition after the war with Mexico was largely viewed as an expansion of the slave power in the South. Like, we conquered a country and walked away with half its territory largely for the perceived benefit of slave holders (though it didn't end up panning out that way and partly led to the Civil War)

Edit: saying north/south divide is overblown is lazy, oversimplification of history. "Overblown" divide doesn't lead to something like the american civil war

Double edit: like its incredible someone can just handwave away north/south divides than bring up Mexican War conquests as an example and not pause in thought of doing so

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berke Negri posted:

Keep in mind that while California, and other south western states, have mixed histories during the Civil War, their acquisition after the war with Mexico was largely viewed as an expansion of the slave power in the South. Like, we conquered a country and walked away with half its territory largely for the perceived benefit of slave holders (though it didn't end up panning out that way and partly led to the Civil War)

Yeah, so for two years California technically was a Southern state territory. Then it wasn't. Whoops.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Rodatose posted:

Gentrification is a class-driven issue. The tying of race to class through economic discrimination makes it seem like a race-driven issue but the practice of driving up property values by the gentry to expropriate/drive out the poor predates the racial era; that was how rural landlords drove peasants from the land in order to convert feudal agriculture to fall under the capitalist-industrial mode of production. It also had the effect of forcing people to no longer be able to work the land and have to sell their labor in cities.

Right. The gentrification process is topically race-blind. However, there is a fairly tight correlation between race and and socioeconomic status in the US, and any discussing of class issues necessarily must consider race as well. It's for this reason that race-based affirmative action is a blunt and unnecessarily objectionable too to use, when economic affirmative action would accomplish the desired end of racial integration without constitutionally-problematic racial discrimination.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Dazzling Addar posted:

Then why is it that the United States is much more advanced in race relations than European nations? At least in the US, open expressions of racism lead to social leprosy in most circles, and the legislature and judiciary recognize integration as a goal. Compare this to French or Spanish attitudes toward Maghrebins, or British attitudes toward (South) Asians, or German attitudes toward Turks, and the US comes out looking absolutely enlightened. Don't even get me started on the open, blatant racism of developed countries like Japan or South Korea.

The US has a long way to go on racial issues. At the same time, there are no nations on the planet that are more progressive on race than the US and Canada.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

Right. The gentrification process is topically race-blind. However, there is a fairly tight correlation between race and and socioeconomic status in the US, and any discussing of class issues necessarily must consider race as well. It's for this reason that race-based affirmative action is a blunt and unnecessarily objectionable too to use, when economic affirmative action would accomplish the desired end of racial integration without constitutionally-problematic racial discrimination.

Your second sentence actually contradicts your third there.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Your second sentence actually contradicts your third there.

Conclusory statements are unpersuasive without detailing the why.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The major difference is that Southern Racism got backed up institutionally. Northern Racism just prevented blacks/latinos from getting good jobs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Korak posted:

The major difference is that Southern Racism got backed up institutionally. Northern Racism just prevented blacks/latinos from getting good jobs.

What do you think "institutionally" means?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

Conclusory statements are unpersuasive without detailing the why.

Yes, I agree. That's why this statement:

quote:

It's for this reason that race-based affirmative action is a blunt and unnecessarily objectionable too to use, when economic affirmative action would accomplish the desired end of racial integration without constitutionally-problematic racial discrimination.

Is entirely unpersuasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Berk Berkly posted:

Yea, the title itself is a bad question.

Racism is a problem. Full stop.
Racism is a problem in the Southern US. Full stop.
Racism is a problem in America. Full stop.

There is no where an 'or' should go between any of those statements.

Though how you deal with each situation would be different. In the Northeast you have to find a way to reintegrate communities post White-flight. Some of that is being taken care of as Gen X and Y move back into the cities but then we run into the gentrification problem.

In the South, you have to overhaul the political culture that uses blacks as scapegoats to the problem and I am not sure how you do that.

• Locked thread