Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Khorne posted:

The north east's racism, ouside of really poor areas or genuine racists which exist everywhere, is more like an expectation of racial tension than it is hating a person/race for being a race. At least in MA that's what I have experienced, and it's usually diffused by one or both parties being friendly. When I spent time in arizona/florida/alabama, a bunch of people I met were just openly racist when not in public. Spouting ridiculous poo poo about how all of a certain race were this or that and should be this or that. It was ridiculous, and it's not something you hear up north at all even amongst people I'd consider racist up here.

If you think there's no racism in MA, try talking to a white person about Dorchester or the Orange Line. I guess "expectation of racial tension" is your way of referring to the common belief among Northerners that venturing into a predominantly-black neighborhood (or even a subway line passing through those neighborhoods) will probably get you murdered? In my experience, Northerners are pretty racist too, it's just that the way in which that racism manifests and is expressed happens in different ways for cultural and environmental reasons. In the south, the relatively high minority population means that people are more apt to be openly racist, whereas in the highly segregated north, "bad neighborhood" is the preferred code word for poo poo-talking minorities and social policies can often be targeted against those specific neighborhoods. Systematic racism (discrimination by cops, teachers, lawyers, judges, and potential employers) is equally prevalent loving everywhere, regardless of whether or not the practitioners are overtly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

How on Earth can you know this? Are you a mind reader?

Structural racism is a well-studied thing that happens everywhere in the US, not just in the South. I don't recall the huge disparity in prison populations being entirely a southern thing, for example; while the South is the only place that makes black prisoners literally pick cotton in the fields, the North is every bit as bad in disproportionately bad treatment of blacks and other minorities.

• Locked thread