Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

thetzar posted:

Ok, yeah, the name was poorly chosen and the angles aren't exact. But are we supposed to be making GBS threads on this work? Because I don't want to poo poo on this work. I dig it.

There's some bad work in there, like putting an iphone on a table with the current weather on the screen and taking a picture of it. Why bother?

But there is some curious stuff in there too. I guess they all can't be zingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's some bad work in there, like putting an iphone on a table with the current weather on the screen and taking a picture of it. Why bother?

Why bother do anything at all?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

But there is some curious stuff in there too. I guess they all can't be zingers.

Nah that stuff is good.

I think the Shore stuff is uninteresting, it seems like she's only reading the nostalgia in his photos (and responding to appreciation of his photos through the nostalgic lens) and forgetting that it was his color and composition that made his work interesting at the time. She's showing that you can take the "same" photo now (so why bother, obviously?) but still can't manage to make it look half as good.

Obviously she's not going for complete imitation (why bother?) but I feel her commentary is lacking.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It really feels like she completely misses any points that make Shore's work good or interesting. It feels like a some kind of weird art photographer clickbait. Some of her other stuff is good and cool but the entire site and most of her projects seem rushed or at least not well represented online.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Geektox posted:

Haha the negative comments from 3 years ago are from goons too I'm pretty sure, isn't the second of those McMadcow?

From last page, but yeah it's me. I don't even remember where I saw it three years ago! :psyduck:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I guess I'm the poo poo logo in the dead center, direct flash, white wall that mysteriously throws off the exposure and general lack of giving a gently caress about what you're pretending to do :arghsmilie:

e: at least she's an "amateur photographer" on her profile so I shouldn't care too much.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I usually always check out the photos of people who favorite or comment on my own, and I found this guy who's almost 60 and according to his profile, has been a photographer since 1970. He lists all the cameras he's owned over the years including some pretty valuable film and digital ones. I go to look at his photostream and every single one is just the most bland "I was here" snapshot you can imagine. Not a single creative fiber in the guy's body. I don't understand how you can maintain a hobby for so many years, yet never evolve beyond the most basic low effort stuff.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

BANME.sh posted:

I usually always check out the photos of people who favorite or comment on my own, and I found this guy who's almost 60 and according to his profile, has been a photographer since 1970. He lists all the cameras he's owned over the years including some pretty valuable film and digital ones. I go to look at his photostream and every single one is just the most bland "I was here" snapshot you can imagine. Not a single creative fiber in the guy's body. I don't understand how you can maintain a hobby for so many years, yet never evolve beyond the most basic low effort stuff.

He seems to favorite bland and effortless photos as well, perhaps that is his style.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also loves buses and out of focus wildlife.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
The rest of his profile sounds like Ulillillia or something...so much information that just doesn't matter.

quote:

Note: all photos are full-frame for the camera in use (always tagged...) UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED. (I often crop, but always indicate when I do so, unless the picture is an old (pre-2008) scan... when I might have forgotten whether the .jpg on my computer is, or is not, a crop...) When I'm shooting with a vibration reduction lens (Nikon: VR, Sigma: OS) the feature is turned OFF unless stated otherwise. Note that no shots from the F4s will have Vibration Reduction active - The Nikon F4 simply doesn't know about VR...

Re: Geotags - I try to always geotag the location of the subject. The only exception to this is when I'm photographing something large and far away (like a sunset, sunrise, cloud formation...) when my geotag will be where I was standing (sitting, etc...) when the shutter went off. Exceptions will be noted. I do not geotag photos taken in my house/studio, or when the subject of the photo has requested privacy in this respect...

When I post in a caption the line a bus or other transit vehicle is working, I mean the line the vehicle was working on the day that the picture captioned was taken: the transit line(s) may have changed since the picture was taken! I try to indicate when such a change has happened, if I know of the change...

For the vast majority of my pictures of road vehicles, I am one of the following:
(in descending order of picture numbers)
1) Taking the picture from the sidewalk as a pedestrian,
2) Taking the picture from a stopped vehicle,
3) Taking the picture from the median as a pedestrian,
4) Taking the picture from a vehicle where I am a passenger ,
or
5) otherwise not endangering traffic, pedestrians, myself, or anyone else! (overheads, bridges, etc...) This last is for most of my "parking slobs" pictures, where I'm taking the picture from one side of the parking aisle, of the other side.

For rail vehicles, I am almost always standing by the tracks in a safe location, or in a train station...

Also note: when I cross a time zone line, I don't reset my camera's clock, or date: I have crossed the international Date Line a couple'o times, and didn't re-set the camera (which does correct for Daylight Savings Time...) either time. The camera is always on American Pacific Time, either PDT or PST... (there's also an Aussie Pacific time zone...) Take this into account when looking at the EXIF info from my cameras... The camera clocks aren't really all that accurate, either - I check them about once a year, and the D610 (at least) is fast by almost 3 minutes a year...

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

xzzy posted:

Also loves buses and out of focus wildlife.
I quite like his out of focus skunks, though he does his best to remove their charm by detailing the failures of his process in the description.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

quote:

Also note: when I cross a time zone line, I don't reset my camera's clock, or date: I have crossed the international Date Line a couple'o times, and didn't re-set the camera (which does correct for Daylight Savings Time...) either time.

Looks like we've got ourselves a Johnny Badass :clint:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I love this guy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"This shot is slightly blurred by camera motion - but you try to get a 400mm shot at 1/40th second!"

You know there's a fix for that, bud.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when the photographs of buses don't include what line they were working when the photograph was taken.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i'm the inexplicable geotagging strategy of (presumably manually) moving the tag to the location of the subject except in the case of sunsets and cloud formations (c'mon bro, geotag the sun and the clouds!)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I tried photographing a sunset but could not find the GPS coordinates of the Sun

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Time heals everything. Everything but love. How I got in to Leicas

Love. Hate. Love. Hate. And love again.
When I left home under a cloud at the age of 16 my father gave me a fast fifty Takumar and a book of Ernst Haas' work.

"Here, you'll need these," he said. For a couple of years I kept body and soul together with that fifty and a Sun tele on a pistol grip fronting two Spotmatics. Just barely.

A meager body and a sliver-thin soul fell in love with a metallurgical engineer. I was burning steel - she showed me how to push a bead with a Redi-Arc and put it back together. We made out in the back of the truck I was repairing. It took two years to figure out she was an alligator in cat's clothing. Two years of blood and snot after that I finally left her.

"I liked you better when you were weak," she said.

I turned what was left toward the door and was about to close it behind me when she said, "Wait, I want you to have something." For some reason I stopped. Tired. An empty face with an unknown route to an unknown station. Numb. The fool with no name stopped.

She came out of our, no, her, bedroom with her M4 and a 50 two-0.
"Do something with this," she said and closed the door for me.

I hated it. How do you frame with a thing like this? I shot transparencies not black and white. No goddamn easel. Depth of field? Where's the preview.....? Oh.
But I loved it. Small. Quiet. Light. Light years sharper. A visual fetish.

And the smell of her every time I put my eye to the finder.

But I hated it. How do you load film? Are you serious? I got over it.

Like the alligator I kept coming back. Still shot reflex because it made sense. Gave up on black and white and nearly the M4. Got a 28 for it. Kept shooting slides.... By this time I was doing 90 percent of my work with a pair of F4s bodies. And a pair of M6s. Same 50. Same 35. Mostly Kodachrome.

Then I went digital.

Reflex in digital was easy. Canon and Nikon killing it. Superb. Moved through the Ds and then worked with a guy who had a Fuji S3. Remembered that. Called it the "Skin Job." He got it. The M4 and M6 were parked and what the hell was I gonna do for a quiet gentle camera when a D3 was a gravel truck leaking hydraulic at a Strauss ball. Auditioned Sonys and Lumixs and whatever else with the tiny perfect lenses. No, no, no.

Ironically great cameras in RAW or black and white but their JPGs kinda blew in color. I like JPGs.

And then I gave up. Looked at the Ms sitting on a bookshelf. Shot twenty-something rolls of Velvia one day. Sent it to NCPS. Hated the film. Kept coming back to those cameras. Didn't have a film after Kodachrome went. Astia. Provia.... No, no. no..... Ektachrome... no...no. No.

The big C got the engineer - her dad let me know. No parent should have to bury a child. Thirty years since I'd seen him and there we were at her service. He cried. I was numb. Again. We drank to remember. I pulled the M4 and the fifty out of my jacket and put it in the casket, just below the overlay where no one would see it. Said something stupid.

The next morning I listed the M6 and rented an M8. Then an M9. No, no, no....

The alligator was worm food. Dreams of an M4 haunted me and every once in a while one crossed my path. But there isn't any Kodachrome anymore so I would roll over and kick a sheet off. Maybe throw on some music until I could sleep again.

Most of my work is done with a D3.

But my always camera when I'm just me, tired of being strong, tired of turning a numb face to the world, is a little X100. Skin Job's little brother. A may-as-well-be 35mm FOV with a finder that lets me see what's actually going on in a non-reflex, quiet, gentle camera.

Sometimes, when I put my eye to the finder, I can still hear the vicious sweep of a reptile's tail but it's faint. Faint, yet still there in the distance of time that healed nearly all.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

feigning interest posted:

Time heals everything. Everything but love. How I got in to Leicas

Love. Hate. Love. Hate. And love again.
When I left home under a cloud at the age of 16 my father gave me a fast fifty Takumar and a book of Ernst Haas' work.

"Here, you'll need these," he said. For a couple of years I kept body and soul together with that fifty and a Sun tele on a pistol grip fronting two Spotmatics. Just barely.

A meager body and a sliver-thin soul fell in love with a metallurgical engineer. I was burning steel - she showed me how to push a bead with a Redi-Arc and put it back together. We made out in the back of the truck I was repairing. It took two years to figure out she was an alligator in cat's clothing. Two years of blood and snot after that I finally left her.

"I liked you better when you were weak," she said.

I turned what was left toward the door and was about to close it behind me when she said, "Wait, I want you to have something." For some reason I stopped. Tired. An empty face with an unknown route to an unknown station. Numb. The fool with no name stopped.

She came out of our, no, her, bedroom with her M4 and a 50 two-0.
"Do something with this," she said and closed the door for me.

I hated it. How do you frame with a thing like this? I shot transparencies not black and white. No goddamn easel. Depth of field? Where's the preview.....? Oh.
But I loved it. Small. Quiet. Light. Light years sharper. A visual fetish.

And the smell of her every time I put my eye to the finder.

But I hated it. How do you load film? Are you serious? I got over it.

Like the alligator I kept coming back. Still shot reflex because it made sense. Gave up on black and white and nearly the M4. Got a 28 for it. Kept shooting slides.... By this time I was doing 90 percent of my work with a pair of F4s bodies. And a pair of M6s. Same 50. Same 35. Mostly Kodachrome.

Then I went digital.

Reflex in digital was easy. Canon and Nikon killing it. Superb. Moved through the Ds and then worked with a guy who had a Fuji S3. Remembered that. Called it the "Skin Job." He got it. The M4 and M6 were parked and what the hell was I gonna do for a quiet gentle camera when a D3 was a gravel truck leaking hydraulic at a Strauss ball. Auditioned Sonys and Lumixs and whatever else with the tiny perfect lenses. No, no, no.

Ironically great cameras in RAW or black and white but their JPGs kinda blew in color. I like JPGs.

And then I gave up. Looked at the Ms sitting on a bookshelf. Shot twenty-something rolls of Velvia one day. Sent it to NCPS. Hated the film. Kept coming back to those cameras. Didn't have a film after Kodachrome went. Astia. Provia.... No, no. no..... Ektachrome... no...no. No.

The big C got the engineer - her dad let me know. No parent should have to bury a child. Thirty years since I'd seen him and there we were at her service. He cried. I was numb. Again. We drank to remember. I pulled the M4 and the fifty out of my jacket and put it in the casket, just below the overlay where no one would see it. Said something stupid.

The next morning I listed the M6 and rented an M8. Then an M9. No, no, no....

The alligator was worm food. Dreams of an M4 haunted me and every once in a while one crossed my path. But there isn't any Kodachrome anymore so I would roll over and kick a sheet off. Maybe throw on some music until I could sleep again.

Most of my work is done with a D3.

But my always camera when I'm just me, tired of being strong, tired of turning a numb face to the world, is a little X100. Skin Job's little brother. A may-as-well-be 35mm FOV with a finder that lets me see what's actually going on in a non-reflex, quiet, gentle camera.

Sometimes, when I put my eye to the finder, I can still hear the vicious sweep of a reptile's tail but it's faint. Faint, yet still there in the distance of time that healed nearly all.

same

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Fallen so deep down the HDR hole he will never get out.

PS. I'm the drugs in the bottom right.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

Fallen so deep down the HDR hole he will never get out.

PS. I'm the drugs in the bottom right.

this poo poo is boss

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

akadajet posted:

this poo poo is boss

:frogout:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Oh... Hello bill barber ... I didn't see you come in

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Someone needs to change their username to Bill Barber and use that as their av.

I'm looking at you, SoundMonkey.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

do it soundmonkey

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

crap nerd posted:

do it soundmonkey

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

crap nerd posted:

do it soundmonkey

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I can feel the acceleration already

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Nice feeling of acceleration here, Suzanne

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

614 by Bill Barber, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Nice feeling of acceleration here, Suzanne

missed opportunity on the custom title, 4/5

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
what kinda photographer has :10bux: to throwaway on a joke

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Geektox posted:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Geektox posted:

Que soundmonkey kramering into the thread to tell the story of how I accidentally called him out on a missed snype that he didn't miss and then I changed my name to make it look like he did anyway

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Mr. Barber in the street thread

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Amazing.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

nice humor acceleration friends!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mido posted:

nice humor acceleration friends!