Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

I got a follow from this guy the other day. :nws: NSFW Flickr stream :nws:

Overprocessed images? Check!
Weird 'art' processing effects? Check!

I like that he has three or four overprocessed versions of almost every picture, just so you can pick the flavor that's right for you. That's called value for money!

Five bucks says :nws:this one:nws: is a "souvenir shot".

Fake edit: Don't take it; you'll lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: he took the criticism of his current photos ok, at least. There's hope!

Looking at his other posts it felt a little bit like the art school smile-and-nod-while-thinking-"but-that's-my-style" kind of "taking criticism", but maybe that's me.

He ran a (miserably failed) $20,000 Kickstarter $4,000 GoFundMe earlier to rent a suitcase full of top-shelf gear for a national parks trip, so I think I actually remember this guy (Kickstarter makes it pretty near impossible to find him again) because clearly that would give him his big break in his lovely greeting card photography business. He's just chasing a different magic pebble this time.

change my name posted:

Some of them are okay, but most are really desaturated or kind of boring (ironic since he has a paragraph long spiel about calibrating color profiles and getting film that produces vibrant colors)

His #1 critique of other photos is that the saturation is too high, which makes me wonder what the hell he wants to do with any film called "Velvia".

This said, everyone has different aesthetic preferences, and in his case "looks like poo poo" is probably not the insult most of us would take it for:

e: thanks Helen for the reminder - I must have confused him with some other "crowdfund my vacation" guy.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
"Do as I say..."

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's over saturated.

:itwaspoo:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

He's fixated on a weird vision of what he thinks a successful photographer should be and that apparently includes a retail storefront in a local mall. He's also at a super fundamentalist Christian university and posts about his scat fetish under his real name.

In all fairness, Thomas Kinkade was apparently into piss "ritual territory marking", and it worked out OK for him. It's all in the marketing.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

polyester concept posted:

He was also planning on going balls deep into a large format set up, both 4x5 and 8x10

His inaugural project would be the highest-resolution, most lovingly-rendered Bristol Stool Chart ever created.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm always weirdly fascinated by his photography posts, because it's like a Markov text generator from other, better posts. The words are familiar and most of them sound like posts by people who know what they're talking about, but they're completely disconnected from each other or any actual understanding.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

polyester concept posted:

It reminds me of this really small skinny guy I'd sometimes see at the gym who would slowly add 45 lb weights to the squat rack, one at a time, until there was probably over 500 lbs on there. He would pace around the rack between additions, psyching himself up, but would never actually lift anything.

The difference is that the skinny little dude at least got the exercise value of hefting the 45-lb plates onto the rack.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

President Beep posted:

He ordered a drat filter already. What more do you expect him to do???

He even picked out the shutter cables! There are so many to choose from, with so many subtly critical distinctions between them.

InternetJunky posted:

It's really interesting seeing how his mind works. It's like a robot that's trying to figure out photography.

If he had the budget, he'd be one of those Leica-fondlers groveling at the Shrine of Cartier-Bresson (while still doing landscape photography).

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 3, 2018

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

It sounds like he's bought lenses too. Which probably means that he's already in for a few grand and he still doesn't have an actual camera (or any idea of what to do with it when he does).

I think he could be in for just under a kilobuck on the low end, but who are we kidding? He's maxed out his Paypal Credit for final-generation APO lenses and he's hiding them under his bed so his parents can't crush his dreams by making him send them back again.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Kenny Logins posted:

Do you like Ansel Adams? I've been a big Group f/64 fan ever since the release of their 1932 exhibition. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was in 1932 where Ansel Adams' presence became more apparent. I think their manifesto was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on purity. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding exhibitions. Christy, take off your robe. See the brilliant ensemble shooting of Van Dyke, Adams and Weston. You can practically see every nuance of every subject. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of exposure craftsmanship, the sheer clarity, this exhibition hit a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the image in Half Dome, Apple Orchard, Yosemite. In this photograph, Ansel Adams addresses the problems of icy trees. Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico is the most moving photograph of the 1940s, about the moon, and villages. The exposure is extremely uplifting. Their compositions are as pure and clear as anything I've seen in photography. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your rear end in a top hat. Ansel Adams' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially shots like El Capitan, Winter, Sunrise and Moon and Half Dome. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Ansel Adams works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo photographer, and I stress the word photographer. This is Aperture, a great, great magazine, a personal favorite.

:drat:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

It's called Portrait Professional, right? You turn the dials all the way up, that's the most professional!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
To extend the man about as much fairness as I'm willing to give, the President's desk has got to be, in the normal course of affairs, a nightmare of opsec considerations and possible classified information. Better to clear it off completely for the photo-op unless you want to risk this kind of thing.

Or you could shoot it from a low angle, like this:

but that seems beyond the current photographer.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

girl pants posted:

Plus, there's zero chance he'd fall into the HDR hole because he hates oversaturation!

Maybe if he works hard he will become the prophet of the LDR movement.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

Yes. He's never seen actual architecture, so he thinks that some faux-classical brick and concrete column in a parking lot is going to be a good subject for 72" metal prints that sell for thousands of dollars each.

A decent picture of an iconic campus building can do a modest but healthy business in cheap posters and space-filler for diploma frames, but...

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm just surprised that he keeps gushing about Velvia (and Fuji slide film in general) when he has such an extreme allergy to saturation.
He has seen Velvia, right? Even if he hasn't, he has to know what it's famous for.

( Who am I kidding? He just heard the world Velvia spoken with enthusiasm somewhere, and that's good enough for him. )

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

change my name posted:

"How come this Sugimoto guy can't loving focus his camera correctly!"

"Eggleston is crap. Too saturated."
"Moriyama needs to buy a camera with better high-ISO. It's so pixelated."

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2018

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

torgeaux posted:

The fact that it's only black and white, and only 12 mp, well, why? Why?

Yes, everyone knows 18 would have been the minimum there.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Folks like our buddy on reddit are his target market. He will reconsider and steal some cash from his parents to fund his fetish.

But with only 12 megapickles he won't be able to make 40x60 prints that sell for thousands of dollars!

also his fetish is poo poo, not cameras

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

GrandpaPants posted:

One of the winners of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award got disqualified for using a photoshopped taxidermied anteater.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/apr/27/winning-anteater-photo-disqualified-judges-agree-stuffed-marcio-cabral

The first time I saw this, I read "stuffed" as "plush", and thought anyone who could win a wildlife photography award with one of these deserved it, regardless of the spirit of the event.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hello Spaceman posted:

Now I know why I keep doubting myself and not doing paid photography gigs: because how I could I possibly match the fantastic work from Roland Rick Photography?

https://www.facebook.com/205718536534271/posts/548401642265957/

Look at that tasteful, selectively-colored red dot. Truly this is the face and the work of a photographer without peer.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

xzzy posted:

This guy is currently getting poo poo on by the internet for a series of wedding photos, but what what really drew me in is the lovely job he does processing his lame pictures.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2016/07/17/traveling-scared-to-death-and-thats-ok-interview-with-john-milton/

Of course Eric Kim gives a canned, uncritical advertiview.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

xzzy posted:

Never heard of Eric Kim, is he another Ken?

Not quite, but close. More than anything I feel like he's a watered-down Thorsten Overgaard knockoff who would love to swing the luxury-brand partnerships but can't quite make it happen.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Zero One posted:

I had to post them here after he commented that the only way to make his photos look good was to over HDR them.

The Afremov print hanging on the wall fits perfectly.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

That's some... unfortunate selective color.
Red would have been worse, I admit.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Wild EEPROM posted:

It’s like the weirdest loss edit

She did move past and heal, I guess.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Doggles posted:

When your autofocus selects the wrong subject, but you still gotta post something.

President Trump Arrives in El Centro, CA by The White House, on Flickr

EL BROMANCE posted:

Autofocus doing exactly what it should do in that photo. The back of someones head would be even more preferable, mind.

With a better (read: not-hamstrung) photographer and depth of field that was wide enough that DJT were not an indiscriminate yellow-and-orange blob, this could be a pretty decent if unremarkable metacomment about how the United States in general and the Presidency in particular are bigger and more significant than the specific people who happen to borrow the office for a while.

Instead we got this.

( "Instead we got this." could be the tagline for the whole administration, I admit. )

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Thom12255 posted:

Sharpness is overrated a bourgeois concept.

C'mon! It was right there!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Wafflecopper posted:

That's actually satire right, it's got to be

xzzy posted:

Satire asking for real money for hipster bullshit.

Best part is how much of a chore he makes it to actually find any gallery of his work.

I've said this before, but Eric Kim is basically a low-rent Thorsten Overgaard. His photography is incidental, a means rather than an end, and the "Pick Adidas over Nike, Android over iPhone, underground over hip-hop, Chevy over Ford" posting isn't side-fluff; it's the entire point of the exercise. The great takeaway lesson of Eric Kim's existence is that it's about the sizzle, not the steak. It's about ego-stroking and finding some way to "differentiate" yourself and signal it as loudly as you can, because that means attention and attention means money. It's not about something so mundane as pictures; it's about the lifestyle. You only need to take photos so far as they can justify you posing and talking like a photographer, so you can "make $200K/year from photography".

It's this:

Soulex posted:

Is the key to being successful sounding pretentious?
because if you can sound pretentious in just the right way, the answer is "yes".

He's not as obsessive about expensive gear as KRock or Thorsten or Steve Huff, but that feels like it's mostly because that gets in the way of buying more deluxe accessories (especially the "Haptic Industries" ones featured on his site, conveniently made by his wife's company in Vietnam but priced like German-made Oberwerths with better attention to details) and books (especially books by Eric Kim). The margins are much better on these than on something so pedestrian as referral links, anyways. If you want to push your lifestyle a little bit and give you something to talk about, you can take some classes (especially by Eric Kim), travel (especially to workshops by Eric Kim), or hang up some avant-garde photography in your home (by Eric Kim, naturally), but these are expensive at $1000+ so he understands if you can't quite swing them.

( I understand, in all due fairness, that Eric Kim is actually a really friendly and enthusiastic guy in person, but his web persona is 100% about the Photographer LARP. )

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 2, 2019

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

pwn posted:

Should have bought a TLR brownstone imo

A Korean family beat him to it.

They actually operate it as a cafe, but still.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Reddit Poop Guy is living his dreams!

I checked in on him out of pandemic boredom, and last month he bought an Intrepid 8x10. He says he'll be learning on Portra 160 5x7, so I assume he's using a reducing back to save money at first... except that Portra 160 is out of production on 5x7. Maybe he bought some dead stock from somewhere. I have no idea how this seemed like a good idea.

He has never shot a single frame of film before in his life.

He also still lives with his parents, having yet to find a steady day job.

This can only end well.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 16, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

bellows lugosi posted:

if he's the guy who bought it i'm going to poo poo my pants.

Mail him the pants afterwards, as a bonus.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Megabound posted:

At some point someone asked him to put shackles on. The person asking this and the dude decided this was fine. "Now get on your knees in front of the white lady".

Jesus.

There has to be a kink involved somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Print File says their sleeves have passed the PAT (Photographic Activity Test), and I trust that standard.

This hasn't always been the case, though, and I suspect that their old ones are the problem. The older ones (mid-90s and before) were made of a lower-density polyethylene and are "not recommended" for archival purposes (note that this book was published in 1993).

His rant about "acid free plastic is light-weight and clouded" is nonsense though. Some acid-free plastic looks like that. Some doesn't. Some plastic that looks like that is in fact very bad for storage.