Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah lightweight alloy is extremely light, you're paying for the weight rather than the protection, though it is quite decent protection, metal armor wins out as it will deflect a lot more shots as well as being cheaper.

Alloy is good if you need it for something, such as making ships with a very off-center center of mass, or if you're making planes, or if you want low maintenence fortresses and are prepared to pay the upfront cost, but for small boats, they will tend to float on the water rather than in the water, which is already a problem with wood.

Possibly the biggest reason to keep your boat in the water is because it gives you more space to put propellors on the back. Though it also increases your drag so the benefit isn't as huge as you'd like. Still, you want to keep your props in the water quite firmly otherwise the ship will flail around as its engines cut out due to surfacing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That'd hilarious in its own right, though. I made a boat with propellers and several ion drives. In rough waters it skips from wave to wave. It's lovely. Also a bitch to control.

I'm still working on a way to make a decent helicopter. I've gotten several from the workshop but they're all either massive and unfeasible to use in campaign, or pieces of poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the game gives much of a bugger about airframe torque so you could probably just stack rotors on top of each other until it works.

Or, possibly, put your rotor in the middle of the craft, use light blocks to make a rotor ring sheath around the craft, then armor the outside, then put rams on the outside of the armor.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Thanks for the advice about the armor, its a proper little warship now. :yarr:

The price is crazy, here's the hull made out of alloy.

Here's the outer layer taken off and replaced with metal, that's with all the weapons and stuff too.

Edit: Oh yeah, how do I time accelerate? I saw a hint saying I can press + and - but all that seems to do is go from 1x to slower.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 4, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have yet to mess with light blocks at all. Can you put a spin block on a spin block? Can you stack blades 2x1 or do they need to be 3x1? Hmmm. I need to look into that later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my knowledge you cannot put spinners on your spinners (and cannot spin while you spin) but, as you also probably don't need an antitorque, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You could always put a spinner on the top and bottom and then light block your way into counter-rotating rotors if you want to.

Light blocks don't impact things, so you can build them straight through other blocks, one would assume.

Oh and time acceleration is done on the map screen, you hit the 'pull all' button to pull all ships from play, then run the game in accelerated, but not physically simulated time. The game takes your max speed achieved in any given craft and uses it as the basis for that craft's max speed when in pulled mode, it should also work out your resourcing rates too from out of play platforms.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I never tried to assault a location with a sky fortress until recently. It's amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I never tried to assault a location with a sky fortress until recently. It's amazing.

They're pretty excellent in terms of firepower and durability, and obviously very easy to build, downside is they're slow as balls so you need some patience. Or you can build the design and then spawn it in, and build it up quickly with a repair ship in the field, that works too.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

They're pretty excellent in terms of firepower and durability, and obviously very easy to build, downside is they're slow as balls so you need some patience. Or you can build the design and then spawn it in, and build it up quickly with a repair ship in the field, that works too.

I have a flying castle made of metal and stone. The four corner each have large triple-barreled turrets (I'm sad gauge blocks have a max size) and the central spire/control tower has a slowly rotating four-way laser of death. And by slowly rotating I mean I have four separate lasers in a turret on a spinner block. The lasers face four different directions and slowly rotate clockwise.

I'm experimenting with putting shields on spinner blocks to see if that will increase the deflect chance.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have a flying castle made of metal and stone. The four corner each have large triple-barreled turrets (I'm sad gauge blocks have a max size) and the central spire/control tower has a slowly rotating four-way laser of death. And by slowly rotating I mean I have four separate lasers in a turret on a spinner block. The lasers face four different directions and slowly rotate clockwise.

I'm experimenting with putting shields on spinner blocks to see if that will increase the deflect chance.

Are you sure on gun size? One the pre-built sky ships has guns that could fire subway trains, and I am fairly sure I made them even bigger when I was messing with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my knowledge you have a maximum of 20 gauge increases per gun. It's pretty big, but it is finite.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It took me a few hours, but I finally made a bomber that will actually strafe targets and drop the bombs more or less on target. Watching the thing zoom about dropping exploding death on things is too much fun.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
At least earlier builds had a maximum of 20 gauge per gun, not sure if that number is still accurate but I doubt the Dev dropped the limit completly. But thanks for reminding me that this game exists, I totaly forgot about it.

Have to fire it up and get my submersible Sea-Hetzer up to date

made it months ago, still using the old art assetts. And while I think flying fortresses, planes and space-ships are all fancy the wave-riding/diving/etc is what I enjoy most about this game.... besides blowing stuff up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Carcer posted:

It took me a few hours, but I finally made a bomber that will actually strafe targets and drop the bombs more or less on target. Watching the thing zoom about dropping exploding death on things is too much fun.

How did you get to work? I have a mine-layer but it always drops after it flies over.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You need to use the missile controller to set up a "cone" in front of the bomber. Check the extra constraints box and you can set it up pretty well so you can have it drop the bombs/mines on target. My only remaining problem is that the stupid thing flies too low and I don't know how to set it fly higher.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I can't seem to get the Naval AI set up right. All my damm ships immediately home in on an enemy and proceed to get as close as they can. Never mind that they get too close to fire. That they do this even on default settings is frustrating

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remember children, if you spend 3 hours working on a glorious metal behemoth of a ship, save your work before doing something experimental. Like accidentally loading a battleship into a battleship.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

I made a missile cruiser, I'm starting to learn the ropes on launchers. I can't seem to get reliable hits with laser guiding, so I just switched to heatseeker cruise missile turrets. I'm in the process of coming up with an ASROC torpedo/missile and some SAMs.

I tried to make a laser turret but I have no idea what I'm doing. I see all these different sized lenses, and some that can aim. I made a slightly deadly pen laser turret instead.

This is a laser turret off a battleship I downloaded, and it has focusing optics wider than the tiny pen sized ones. Mind it has the rest of the battleship powering the laser but hey.

Then this... thing descended from the sky and destroyed the missile cruiser I made and a few salvaged wooden ships.

I don't like that thing, it turned back and headed back to its HQ after it ate my ships.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remember that VLS systems suck right now. I have tried to make them reliable, in a ton of different ways, but they all suck. Unless they are against aircraft, then they are just OK.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Remember that VLS systems suck right now. I have tried to make them reliable, in a ton of different ways, but they all suck. Unless they are against aircraft, then they are just OK.

Laser designated VLS missile work fine against boats as long as you have fins, do not have Target Position Prediction Guidance, the target is with in your powered envelope, and not under 100m or so away.

Augmented Proportional Navigation Guidance might also mess things up so don't use that either.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 10, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Huh, you're right. I took off the targeting systems and now they work great. You can use an IR tracker and Camera with a Beam Rider for terminal tracking. Great for shooting down those bastard fast flyers.

I've started constructing my mining bases as structures instead of fortresses. Just the resource gatherers above the waterline and everything else down near the bottom for protection. So far it's worked out pretty well.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

So I've been working my way up ship sizes, but took a break from trying out hulls to make a big rear end battleship main gun. Now I have a challenge to build something around 3 or 4 of these things.

Any battleship turret worth its salt should have ears.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
When I get home I'll have to show off the main gun on my battleship. I need to rework the whole ship, though. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Even if it DOES have 120 cannon on it. It's bulky, topheavy, and doesn't blend well together. The submarine I made, however, is kicking all kinds of rear end. Turns out a powerful enough laser can totally work underwater.

How does one get to space? I can't get the AI to fly that high.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

When I get home I'll have to show off the main gun on my battleship. I need to rework the whole ship, though. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Even if it DOES have 120 cannon on it. It's bulky, topheavy, and doesn't blend well together. The submarine I made, however, is kicking all kinds of rear end. Turns out a powerful enough laser can totally work underwater.

How does one get to space? I can't get the AI to fly that high.

Right now there's no space AI so unless you want to trick your AI into flying up endlessly you'll have to do the piloting yourself.

You'll want to use ion engines since those are the only type of propulsion that works in space. I guess you could get there with enough jet engines, but you'd be stuck if you actually left gravity since they'd never turn back on.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was trying to design a massive orbital space laser, I just couldn't get the Space part right

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I was trying to design a massive orbital space laser, I just couldn't get the Space part right

Well, I don't know what the problem you're having is.

Just add a ton of ion engines, also put ion engines on the front of your ship centered on the mass for pitch control, do the same on the sides for rudder control, and also have some to the sides and away from the center of mass for roll control. You may have to change the settings (q key) for the roll control engines.

Press go and point spacecraft up. Ion engines work underwater too.

Alternatively just sail to space like this guy: http://youtu.be/LawvchU31eA

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A true pioneer.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
is there some trick to making a sailboat? All of mine just seem to go in whatever direction the wind is blowing

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

deratomicdog posted:

is there some trick to making a sailboat? All of mine just seem to go in whatever direction the wind is blowing

Isn't... isn't that what a sailboat does? I've only made a handful and they've all sucked so I stopped trying.

Ok gentlemen (ladies?) put your heads together for this problem. I currently seems to have too much lift for my bomber, Big Bertha. She is still a work in progress but she is coming along quite nicely. I even figured out how to get her to do a bombing run rather than just drop them all at the same time.

Here's an early prototype dropping a partial wingload of bombs/mines

Bombs falling from the heavens, like anvils of death

A more finalized Big Bertha, still a Work in Progress

The source of what I may believe be my lift problem. I'm using double wings and all seemed to be fine at first but since I added a custom jet engine for more oopmh (she's as slow as her samesake) unless she's actively engaged in combat she just wants to fly into space. No amount of maximum altitude has helped.

This is kind of what she looks like now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deratomicdog posted:

You might need to add some vertical hydrofoils or rudders to the bottom of the hull to help it figure out how to prefer moving forwards over moving sideways, you also need to know how to tack across the wind to sail in other directions than with the wind.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright fixed it. Too much thrust applied from the lower rear was causing the tail to try and go downwards.

If you want to take a look at Big Bertha I went ahead and published her on the workshop. steam name is the same as user name.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Figured out how to make helicopters last night on my laptop. Can't test it in a fight until I get the desktop up and running but it raises and lowers and turns like a helicopter. The whole thing is angled slightly forward to give the illusion of axle tilt when in motion.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Messed around with Orbital Lasers last night.

They can be pretty awesome.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 13, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I know its out of style to bitch about table breaking, but please timg those.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I love this game but im bad a making ships. I build a ship that looks like a good size, but then I build a decent turret , only have room for one and its huge compared to the rest of the boat. Guess ill have to start up scaling my ironclads.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Woops. Didn't mean to break tables.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Agean90 posted:

I love this game but im bad a making ships. I build a ship that looks like a good size, but then I build a decent turret , only have room for one and its huge compared to the rest of the boat. Guess ill have to start up scaling my ironclads.

I had this problem as well, the trick is to use a bridge of connector blocks to move as many of the cannon blocks into your hull as you can.

http://fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1379

Has pictures about what I am talking about.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Woops. Didn't mean to break tables.

Thank you

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How did I never think to do that? Yeesh. I only just realized that I could build guns vertically in order to create large metal shields out of them.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Anyone still playing this besides myself? I really need some eyes on a design to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I have not fired it up in a while, but I will help if I can.

• Locked thread