Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Love Banjo, love this game, of course I want Banjo-Threeie but it didn't stop me enjoying the hell out of this game.

For a while when you begin the game you think "what's the point of these big empty worlds where I just race or carry things from point A to point B" but when you realise how much depth the vehicle creation brings, the game suddenly blooms into something magical.

I really do miss the platforming though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This game felt like... certain elements of the development team knew what was going wrong, but were powerless to stop it. Most likely the ones with control over parts of the dialogue.

I mean, just look at that opening. It begins with our heroes and antagonist, both horribly out of shape, getting ready to fight... and then suddenly L.O.G. shows up and declares "No, we're playing my game now."

There's a line which really sums it up later, when you actually meet Trophy Thomas. Either Banjo or Kazooie says something to the effect of "Do you remember when game characters were supposed to be charming?"

It's not making fun of something terrible, if you still go ahead and do the terrible thing! It just tells us that you knew better, but did it anyway.

Oh, and they made the Native American character sell you junk at the side of the road.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The game feels very slow to me. Where is the conflict? In the first game Banjo's sister is kidnapped and in the second one Gruntilda is back and wreaking havoc. But in this game? Why should I care about L.O.G.? Also no one mentioned how lifeless the characters "speak". In the old games it wasn't just a grunt.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Elfface posted:

Oh, and they made the Native American character sell you junk at the side of the road.

Rare is a British company - if this is an American cliché/slur/stereotype it doesn't mean anything to us.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

AstroWhale posted:

The game feels very slow to me. Where is the conflict? In the first game Banjo's sister is kidnapped and in the second one Gruntilda is back and wreaking havoc. But in this game? Why should I care about L.O.G.? Also no one mentioned how lifeless the characters "speak". In the old games it wasn't just a grunt.

These are a couple of great reasons why this game just doesn't feel like a true Banjo installment. There was a great underlying feeling of urgency in those games. Here though, what's the threat exactly? That Gruntilda will win? Aaaaaand...? I know that a good part of why this game is how it is was to help appeal to the kiddies, but toning it down that much takes away a lot.

The lack of constant grunts really kills me. It feels so weird when they just do the one little voice clip and then are silent for the rest of the dialogue.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NeoAnjou posted:

Rare is a British company - if this is an American cliché/slur/stereotype it doesn't mean anything to us.

Oh no please don't turn this into a "Maybe YOU are the racists ones" like the slave Tetris guy. Or the Deponia guy. Or the...

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
As a Brit, I have no clue what is wrong with Mumbo selling stuff on the side of the street. If he was a Pakistani/Indian then yes we may see something is wrong with it.

Any that human girl creeps me out as she is so out of place from the rest of the game. Who is she?

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

Whilst recording this weeks episode, I ran into a loading screen hint that absolutely has to be seen to be believed

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 2: Nutty Acres Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

It all makes sense now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dex01 posted:

Update!

Whilst recording this weeks episode, I ran into a loading screen hint that absolutely has to be seen to be believed

Hey, maybe if enough of you buy it, you'll get a real Banjo game! :haw:

...:smith:

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 3, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Not that it mattered, but if I remember right, next to the L.O.G. Tractor is a second engine. They tend to have extra materials that are REALLY USEFUL in L.O.G.'s Choice Challenges.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Well I'd put this game in the top 5 games that I played on the 360 so this particular LP may make me too Internet Sad to stick with it, but godspeed none the less. Would be good to have a finished LP of it on the archive.

I didn't play either of the first two games, so had no notions about what a proper BK sequel should be, but taken on it's own merits I found this game endlessly charming and I even liked the humour (LOG included). I just saw it as sending up games in general in a fairly affectionate manner and was quite refreshing when so many other games take themselves too seriously.

As an aside, the user submitted designs video from Rooreeloo's LP is still one of the finest things to come out of this forum and so if anyone has a link to it I'd be most grateful.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 3, 2014

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Dex01 posted:

Update!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 2: Nutty Acres Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

If you park the trolley next to the jig-o-vend machines (on top of the world emblem is the sweet spot as I recall), you don't have to pick all the jiggies up individually. It's a real time saver, but the stack does get a bit unmanageable if you like to blaze through all the available the acts before turning in the jiggies like I do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Fwoderwick posted:

As an aside, the user submitted designs video from Rooreeloo's LP is still one of the finest things to come out of this forum and so if anyone has a link to it I'd be most grateful.

Sadly, the videos were all on Viddler, and he never finished it so it was never Archived. :(

E: and now I feel dumb for bringing up the flying mechanic.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 3, 2014

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Senerio posted:

Sadly, the videos were all on Viddler, and he never finished it so it was never Archived. :(

Ah yeah, I vaguely recall reading that before. This must be what it felt like when the Great Library of Alexandria was destroyed. :(

Well, I hope this thread can relive it's glory at some point and hopefully the guy that did the amazing physics craziness swings by again.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Those Lego cows are cute.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
If you're having trouble with your wheel grip, try increasing your downforce. Stacking on more weight helps, but you can also (spoiled for an Advanced Technique which really ought to be seen to be believed) use your highly-illegal jet or no-longer-highly-illegal propellers to accomplish the same thing without adding to your inertia--which has the nice side effect of allowing you to drive on any surface. You should be able to make some pretty agile vehicles early on with some experimentation.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Fwoderwick posted:

Ah yeah, I vaguely recall reading that before. This must be what it felt like when the Great Library of Alexandria was destroyed. :(

Well, I hope this thread can relive it's glory at some point and hopefully the guy that did the amazing physics craziness swings by again.

I'm not the original designer, but I do have that design saved on my save file. If he doesn't come back, I'll go record some footage of it in action.

EDIT: Of course, that point is not nearly close to now, so I'll let it sit until we run into that challenge.

Ozdhaka fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 3, 2014

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.
To note: we are going to run a contest later on once we have more progress! Prepare YOUR ENGINES AND GET READY TO BUILD.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

liking this game is like saying you like jpop

trust me i know

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Showdown Town may not be the most intuitive hub area, but it sure does have some nice atmosphere at night. Reminds me of Sly 2 in the best ways. :3:

The music is really nice at night too, but I suppose that's true of most of the music in this game anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dryzen posted:

liking this game is like saying you like jpop

trust me i know

What about Jrock.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

What about Jrock.

There is nothing and will never be anything wrong with Jrock

Actually seeing this game again just makes me sad for banjo poor bear

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is my first exposure to the game and I can at least say that thus far it has been really good at setting up a nice atmosphere.

I also enjoyed the humor of taking the piss out of everything with all the dialogue, though that seems to be a minority opinion.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Supeerme posted:

As a Brit, I have no clue what is wrong with Mumbo selling stuff on the side of the street. If he was a Pakistani/Indian then yes we may see something is wrong with it.

Any that human girl creeps me out as she is so out of place from the rest of the game. Who is she?

That's Humba Wumba. The Native American shaman from Banjo Tooie, who took over the transformations when Mumbo became playable. Most of her characterisation was 'Insists she is a better shaman than Mumbo', probably because she could actually do the T-Rex spell that was only teased in the first.

She's had a bit of a Cortana-makeover, or at least made less cartoony. I mean, most of the others are recognisably the same characters at least...

Anyway, I'm a Brit myself, but I thought being poor and selling things like that was a racist native American Stereotype... I could be wrong though.

I think I'm seeing a distinct pattern in the opinions here, too. If this was the first Banjo game you played, it was fun and unconventional, with some jokes about video games. Generally positive.

If you have played a previous Banjo game, it's such a radical departure, with jokes making fun of parts you remember fondly, that it taints the experience. Gnerally negative.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
At least the game's engine made physics and destructible set pieces possible which makes ramming into everything all the more satisfying.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Elfface posted:

Anyway, I'm a Brit myself, but I thought being poor and selling things like that was a racist native American Stereotype... I could be wrong though.

No, yeah, that's about right. Also, she probably looks different because the old character design was sort of racist too.

Among other reasons.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think one of my favourite parts of this game is the Jinjos. They mostly have hilarious things to say. Especially the one who likes going on "bear chatrooms" :laugh:

Elfface posted:

I think I'm seeing a distinct pattern in the opinions here, too. If this was the first Banjo game you played, it was fun and unconventional, with some jokes about video games. Generally positive.

If you have played a previous Banjo game, it's such a radical departure, with jokes making fun of parts you remember fondly, that it taints the experience. Gnerally negative.

Nope.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I played the old Banjo Kazooie games and I like this one, but it's definitely not the same. As a minor note, Trophy Thomas looks like he came from a completely different game. He's just so bizzare and out of place. Even the NPCs in Showdown Town fit in better than he does.

Also the botched-together Havok physics is fantastic and I can't wait to see more abusee. :getin:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

The Deleter posted:

Also the botched-together Havok physics is fantastic and I can't wait to see more abusee. :getin:

I honesty think Rare wanted the Jiggies be physical objects because they wanted physics shenanigans. LOG even says thst the Tamper Switches aren't supposed to exist in the first place.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Deleter posted:

If the weird physics engine doesn't let you use the rocket jets they just found to improvise a hovercraft I will be very sad.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

If the weird physics engine doesn't let you use the rocket jets they just found to improvise a hovercraft I will be very sad.

People have improvised making mecha with using the jets to apply enough force to get the legs to swing. Obviously they're slow and terrible but man they're great to watch.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I really can't understand why this was a Banjo Kazooie game. I get that it was probably for the brand recognition but instead of bringing people in it just seems to isolate everybody. If you didn't play Banjo Kazooie or Tooie well heres a plot and a bunch of decade-old jokes and references for you to not get. If you did play Kazooie and Tooie well we removed the parts you liked and we're gonna mock you for having liked it.

Also Trophy Thomas straight up has Stinkoman hair.

Not gonna lie though, this game does look pretty fun. Just should've been its own IP.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This post from the Weird Fanart thread is rather fitting for this thread, especially the last picture (not the linked one.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fwoderwick posted:

I have that video (and that video only, so don't bother asking about the rest of the LP), I'll post it when appropriate.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Fwoderwick posted:

Related to this; amongst those designs were ones without wheels, just springs and things and would truly shatter the physics and fly around faster than the game could render them. I can't for the life of me remember the name given to them and my Google-fu is weak.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I really wish that Nintendo had the rights to Banjo-Kazooie back. Even if they never made another BK game again, they'd make great Smash Bros. characters.

horriblePencilist posted:

I wish I could find it, but there's this really good interview with an (ex?)-employee of Rare describing the development of the game and how Microsoft hosed them over. It's a prime example of the publisher ruining the devs' lifes.

I really want to see this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Don't want to steal the thunder of this LP, but if anyone is after Rooreeloo's old videos, I have them all on my HDD and could zip them and make a torrent or something.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

Don't want to steal the thunder of this LP, but if anyone is after Rooreeloo's old videos, I have them all on my HDD and could zip them and make a torrent or something.

Please do! I miss his voice. He was a good LPist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

cofaigh posted:

Related to this; amongst those designs were ones without wheels, just springs and things and would truly shatter the physics and fly around faster than the game could render them. I can't for the life of me remember the name given to them and my Google-fu is weak.

The really really impressive one was the Kinetikos, that's all I can really remember.

• Locked thread