Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Manuel Calavera posted:

Please do! I miss his voice. He was a good LPist

I think all of them are subtitle LPs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Great, now I got this game booted up again and trying more ways to screw with physics. Least I got a fully-completed file to play with.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

I think all of them are subtitle LPs...

The main LP videos were but he did a multiplayer group session with other goons from that thread as a bonus before the N&B LP died.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Chimera-gui posted:

The main LP videos were but he did a multiplayer group session with other goons from that thread as a bonus before the N&B LP died.

That was fun. I regret using my stealth boat for the boat race. It totally defeated the purpose of having a vehicle to race. I am looking forward to the rest of this LP, considering the currently plan of action seems to be 'break it in half'

I honestly did enjoy this game, but I had no illusions about wanting a third banjo game. I wanted this game for the vehicle building because that legitimately interested me.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Kinetikos.

This was the best goddamn thing back in the day. Someone recreated it and posted a decent quality video up on youtube, you can watch it here, spoilers for a later level, mission and parts of course if people care about that. The guy who uploaded it even explains how it works, which is nice.

Dex01, would love to see you remake it yourself when you eventually get to the point where it is possible just to experience the insanity behind the thing. :v:
Also if you don't want me talking about future stuff let me know and I'll edit my post.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Enzer posted:

This was the best goddamn thing back in the day. Someone recreated it and posted a decent quality video up on youtube, you can watch it here, spoilers for a later level, mission and parts of course if people care about that. The guy who uploaded it even explains how it works, which is nice.

Dex01, would love to see you remake it yourself when you eventually get to the point where it is possible just to experience the insanity behind the thing. :v:
Also if you don't want me talking about future stuff let me know and I'll edit my post.

:stare: I read the description and I still don't understand what the hell's going on here. This game has some very interesting physics though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Enzer posted:

This was the best goddamn thing back in the day. Someone recreated it and posted a decent quality video up on youtube, you can watch it here,

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Deleter posted:

I played the old Banjo Kazooie games and I like this one, but it's definitely not the same. As a minor note, Trophy Thomas looks like he came from a completely different game. He's just so bizzare and out of place. Even the NPCs in Showdown Town fit in better than he does.

Also the botched-together Havok physics is fantastic and I can't wait to see more abusee. :getin:

Trophy Thomas reminds me of Hunter from the Spyro series.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Vilemoon, don't feel bad for your waste-disposal policy of "throw everything in the ocean," Captain Planet's own policy is "throw everything into the sun."

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
This game deserves to be thrown in the ocean.

Dryzen posted:

liking this game is like saying you like jpop

trust me i know

Your avatar... God drat it Dryzen!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

tlarn posted:

Vilemoon, don't feel bad for your waste-disposal policy of "throw everything in the ocean," Captain Planet's own policy is "throw everything into the sun."

Well, it's not like he's 'Captain Sun'.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

tlarn posted:

Is that a problem?

- I think if you consider the entire Solar System to be waste, then throwing it into the Sun would only increase it's mass by roughly 1%, so we're talking about tiny quantities.
- It's not likely to have any effect on energy production rates (interestingly I think it may have more of an effect on larger mass stars, in which carbon is a catalyst to nuclear fusion),
- However the presence of additional metals (as astronomers call any element heavier than Helium) is likely to alter energy flow through the body.
- There isn't any native life [citation needed] to the be harmed,
- And we're not likely to ever want to live there (unlike, say, putting waste on the moon/mars).
- Some kinds of waste *may* be destroyed by the conditions within the Sun (I'm thinking Uranium - whilst normally external conditions don't affect half-lives of nuclear waste, if you're bombarding the nucleus with alpha particles, electrons, positrons and even neutrinos that's less likely to apply).

So all-in-all, Solar waste disposal (if you don't ever want to get the stuff back) is generally a reasonable idea!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Someone is going to suggest throwing this game into the sun at this point.

Kurtofan posted:

Trophy Thomas reminds me of Hunter from the Spyro series.

That's it! That fucker. No wonder I dislike them both. :v:

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

tlarn posted:

Lets be honest if we had a reliable and cheap way to throw poo poo into the sun that would be the go-to trash disposal for mankind.

Or Mercury, if we just feel like ocean dumping some more.

jivjov posted:

Don't want to steal the thunder of this LP, but if anyone is after Rooreeloo's old videos, I have them all on my HDD and could zip them and make a torrent or something.

Im not sure on how Dex feels about this, but im gonna say only post as far as we are in the game; no more. I dont want the thread to turn into chat about banjo land while we are fighting grunty. Or possibly upload it after the LP is finished? One of the two. I would wait for now while I try and get Dex's VOICE OF LAW though.

Vilemoon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 4, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Simsmagic posted:

:stare: I read the description and I still don't understand what the hell's going on here. This game has some very interesting physics though.

I can explain it in more detail later, I might be able to find the original physics diagrams explaining what the hell is going on. If not they can be recreated. But the Kinetikos uses about... 3 parts that Dex doesn't have access to yet, so that will have to wait.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know, I've found out what bothers me most about LOG, it's that he feels like a fanfiction self insert.

"So you see, Banjo and Kazooie are fat and grundy is just a head, so I LOG, LORD OF GAMES comes in to save them! I take them away to my new world filled with fast cars and fun, and not their old boring platforming. They can play with the new friend Trophy Tosser, and then Mumbo and Wumba can be married and then--"

Oh, on the topic of horrible fan creations, the weird fan art thread had a bunch of BK fan art in one post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3683299&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post438483756

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

jivjov posted:

Don't want to steal the thunder of this LP, but if anyone is after Rooreeloo's old videos, I have them all on my HDD and could zip them and make a torrent or something.

I don't mind a link to a torrent or zip of the old LP as long as people don't start talking about stuff that hasn't happened in our LP yet.

let's just try not to steer too far off the tracks :classiclol:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, I found those looking for that pic of Humba Wumba from Tooie.

Here's what I'm wondering about now, possibly as a result of the lingering weird-fanart trauma.

With the exception of the T-Rex which was teased in BK and the bumblebee which was re-included, perhaps for time, all of Wumba's transformations are machines. The little rock golem, the TNT, the van, the sub, the washer...

And now she sells cars.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want to make moving Jiggies from the dispenser to the bank easier: Park in front of the dispenser with the tray on top of the symbol and then dispense. They should all end up in the tray... Should.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SystemLogoff posted:

You know, I've found out what bothers me most about LOG, it's that he feels like a fanfiction self insert.

"So you see, Banjo and Kazooie are fat and grundy is just a head, so I LOG, LORD OF GAMES comes in to save them! I take them away to my new world filled with fast cars and fun, and not their old boring platforming. They can play with the new friend Trophy Tosser, and then Mumbo and Wumba can be married and then--"

Oh, on the topic of horrible fan creations, the weird fan art thread had a bunch of BK fan art in one post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3683299&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post438483756

To be fair, unless the game does that gimmick more than once, they were only married for the purposes of the Nutty Acres level maybe we'll get to see them in different roles later on?

I like that one youtube on how LOG is just Microsoft though, i can totally see them going "no don't make a platformer, gamers won't like it!" I'm honestly surprised they didn't go for an FPS since those seem like they have way more appeal than a driving game even if that driving game lets you make your own vehicles.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cernunnos posted:

If you want to make moving Jiggies from the dispenser to the bank easier: Park in front of the dispenser with the tray on top of the symbol and then dispense. They should all end up in the tray... Should.

They do... 85 times out of 100, which is really good for this game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Enzer posted:

That was a thing of beauty. The music was just perfect.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

Hey, it's not ALL horrible. That one of Kazooie with the massive pile of jiggies is amazing.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
That charm line :ughh:
Is this game trying to be ironic? It sure is condescending. :smug: We made a poo poo game and you are a sucker for playing it. :smug:
And Thomas sounds like he wants to throw up. And this glitch.

Seedy Wizard posted:

This game deserves to be thrown in the ocean.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This game feels more and more like Sonic 2006. The Havok physics on everything, the lifting mechanic, the unintuitive, annoying to traverse hub world, the sequence breaks that got past the radar far too easily, the complete disdain for the player, etc.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Ometeotl posted:

This game feels more and more like Sonic 2006. The Havok physics on everything, the lifting mechanic, the unintuitive, annoying to traverse hub world, the sequence breaks that got past the radar far too easily, the complete disdain for the player, etc.

The difference is that for Nuts and Bolts it felt like SOMEONE gave a drat and made sure the game was at least functional.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ometeotl posted:

I dunno, I have yet to see a death from banjo randomly flying straight through the ground...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that, however disappointing and obnoxious this game is, it's MUCH better and less buggy than Sonic 2006.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that, however disappointing and obnoxious this game is, it's MUCH better and less buggy than Sonic 2006.

this games actually really fun tbh

e: if you go into this game not expecting a sequel to the original banjo games and already know its all about making dickmobiles capable of going up walls you'll have a good time

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 6, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This game really is a lot of fun.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Honestly, I have an easy time rationalizing every bad thing in the game. Trophy Thomas looks awful, but if you imagine him being LOGs nephew or something who insisted on being in the game it makes perfect sense. The physics are really glitchy and LOGs choice sucks because LOG is really messy and doesn't pay close attention to the things he creates. The hub is expansive and looks good a first, but it's often unintuitive and has sequence-breaking glitches, just like big games like Watchdogs. Having an avatar for AAA gaming procedures really makes for some fun world building.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah but "We introduced severely un-fun elements as a satire of the gaming industry :spergin:" is probably the worst thing you can do with a game. Because you *know* they're bad and being ironic about it doesn't make them better. Especially if it isn't a bait and switch and 15 seconds later banjo goes "gently caress this" and breaks the rules and does whatever he wants.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I have no major problems for what this game sets out to do in gameplay (minus everything being timed), but as the swan song to the Banjo Kazooie series, it makes me sad.

I mean, looking at what Mario did with Galaxy makes me sad we'll never see Banjo Threey with that much charm.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Roobanguy posted:

this games actually really fun tbh

e: if you go into this game not expecting a sequel to the original banjo games and already know its all about making dickmobiles capable of going up walls you'll have a good time

See, thats the thing though. It IS a Banjo game. They made it, marketed it and sold it AS a banjo game. They were BANKING on Banjo nostalgia to sell the drat thing.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
It's really common for Kirby games to depart from its original formula and do something completely different, like Mass Attack or Epic Yarn. Actually, now that I think about it, the last conventional Kirby game on a console before the most recent entry, Return to Dreamland on the Wii, was Crystal Shards on the N64.
Between that were only handhelds and a racing game, similar to Banjo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Triple Deluxe didn't exactly reinvent the wheel either, though it's a solid good game.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Kurtofan posted:

Triple Deluxe didn't exactly reinvent the wheel either, though it's a solid good game.

Yeah, but it's a handheld title as well. If you're counting handheld titles, there's Nightmare in dreamland, amazing mirror, ultra star and Squeak Squad.
After crystal shards there's been a drought of classic Kirby games for home consoles, though it's not really comparable with banjo since departures in Kirby are more accepted and other than a smaller screen, the handheld games are just as good as their console counterparts. Even Squeak Squad, dammit.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah you really can't compare the two, one series gets a new game every year or two, and the other hadn't had a major entry in almost a decade. if there'd been a few more banjo-kazooie games since tooie, no one would've batted an eye at nuts and bolts.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, in Kirby's case, the racers were obviously spinoffs, and something Kirby had done while still releasing traditional games. Meanwhile, the ones with different mechanics were still 2D platformers.

Like... if the next Banjo game let you switch between Banjo, Kazooie and Tooty, with different moves depending on how they were partnered up, but still a 3D platformer, that would have been trying something new.

N&B feels like a completely different game that at some point was decided to be a Banjo game and, like Dinosaur Planet becoming Starfox Adventures, it only suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Here's an interesting factoid: Rare has been toying with the car concept for a long time, even before they got bought by Microsoft. Aside from the kart racers they made in the n64 era, they made a prototype called "Banjo Kazoomie", in which the player would be able to build their own cars just like in nuts and bolts, except it would have been strictly a kart racer. I don't want to say much else beyond that because I'm not sure if Dex wants to talk about this stuff in a future video, but all I can say for now is that Rare's development of games is usually pretty interesting and nuts and bolts is no exception.

• Locked thread