Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

horriblePencilist posted:

It's really common for Kirby games to depart from its original formula and do something completely different, like Mass Attack or Epic Yarn. Actually, now that I think about it, the last conventional Kirby game on a console before the most recent entry, Return to Dreamland on the Wii, was Crystal Shards on the N64.
Between that were only handhelds and a racing game, similar to Banjo.

Yeah but Kirby games also come out far more often than the time gap between Tooie and this.

There's also the understanding that even if this Kirby game is different, there will be a more regular one around at some point. Whereas if you didn't like the idea of this and didn't buy it, they took it as you hating absolutely everything to do with Banjo and put the franchise on deep freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Microsoft basically gutted Rare the moment they acquired them.

The rotting husk that we call Rare now has basically nothing in common with the people that made the original games and Microsoft will never let them off their Kinect shaped leash long enough to make anything actually good, let alone another Banjo-Kazooie game, until they decide to completely scrap the company for financial reasons. And even if they scrap the company and those employees go form a new company Microsoft will still own the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. :smith:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I suppose the next best thing is to wait for a game by a different company that manages to have the same kind of "spirit" or at least "feeling" that the Banjo-Kazooie series had. Although virtually nobody seems to want to make any more 3D collectathons these days.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
You know what's scary is after you learn Rare was only bought by Microsoft because they thought it owned Donkey Kong, imagine if this game had actually been a Donkey Kong game instead and it still had all these dumb lovely mechanics but instead of metal boxes everything was made from Barrels...and that was the only cute redeeming thing about it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

TCat posted:

You know what's scary is after you learn Rare was only bought by Microsoft because they thought it owned Donkey Kong

Is that seriously the reason (or one of at least) they bought Rare? Cause that seems really dumb on their part.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

All Frogs posted:

Is that seriously the reason (or one of at least) they bought Rare? Cause that seems really dumb on their part.

It is at least one of the reasons.
Also, you say that like Microsoft doesn't do dumb poo poo all the time.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Zuzie posted:

I suppose the next best thing is to wait for a game by a different company that manages to have the same kind of "spirit" or at least "feeling" that the Banjo-Kazooie series had. Although virtually nobody seems to want to make any more 3D collectathons these days.
Best pipe-dream scenario would be Nintendo buys back the Banjo Kazooie rights from Microsoft and hands it off to Retro Studios. The Donkey Kong Country Returns games from Retro were better than the original DKCs.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Surely thats the reason why they brought back Duck hunt in the new smash bros, right? :tinfoil:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zuzie posted:

Man, I can't wait for the decade to roll around where popular culture is finally nostalgic for the things from MY youth. :colbert: At least there's A Hat In Time to look forward to.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

TCat posted:

It is at least one of the reasons.
Also, you say that like Microsoft doesn't do dumb poo poo all the time.

It's more like I don't want to believe a company can be that dumb, but yeah...that's really dumb.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

All Frogs posted:

One random Microsoft exec mistakenly thought Rare owned DKC, according to Chris Seavor, that's about the extent of it. Microsoft as a company weren't that dumb.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One random Microsoft exec mistakenly thought Rare owned DKC, according to Chris Seavor, that's about the extent of it. Microsoft as a company weren't that dumb.

Ah, that makes way more sense.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Vilemoon posted:

See, thats the thing though. It IS a Banjo game. They made it, marketed it and sold it AS a banjo game. They were BANKING on Banjo nostalgia to sell the drat thing.

Seriously, go back and watch the original trailer for this game and see how nostalgic they tried to make it. It's not like the vehicles were front and center the entire time.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zuzie posted:

A year or two ago I backed a Kickstarter that basically advertised itself as "we miss Banjo-Kazooie and want to make a game like it and therefore we have decided to play on all of you agreeing with us so you'll give us money in the hopes that we're sincere about that". They even managed to get Grant Kirkhope to do some music for it.

Judging by their website they're still working on it but I'll be damned if I could tell you when they expect to be finished.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pixeltendo posted:

Surely thats the reason why they brought back Duck hunt in the new smash bros, right? :tinfoil:

Hunto-Duckooie by retro studios.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Hunto-Duckooie by retro studios.

I would buy the crap out of that game.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Oh man, this game.

You know, when it was announced years and years ago, I was pretty disappointed when it dropped that it wasn't going to be a traditional B&K game, but rather a weird racing/vehicle builder/creativity hybrid. I basically forgot about it until I saw it for 1 dollar or something ludicrous in a store in 2010 or so and thought "why not, and if it's a poo poo game, it's only 1 dollar right?"

Holy poo poo I had so much fun with it. Once I had accepted that it wasn't going to be like B&K except for the characters and jiggies, I was completely engrossed. It's one of the games I have played the most on the 360. Even though the vehicle designer had pretty big limitations (no LittleBigPlanet shenanigans like programming were possible, for instance) it still had complexity enough to allow for some very creative constructions. It even had the added bonus of being simple enough to understand for 8 year olds (like my little brother at the time) and idiots (like me), allowing for a lot of fun to be had in competing to build the dumbest thing that could still work and let you win jiggies.

I can understand the hate for the blocky art style, but to me it felt appropriate and added to the atmosphere of the intentional video game/theatre set/whatever style they had going in each level. The sound design and music really sold the world as whimsical, vibrant (and insufferably British, with the sarcasm).

The game had a thread in Games where goons would post screens of their creations. Some of them were quite impressive, someone with archives might be able to dig it up and see for themselves, if the image hosts aren't long dead.

All this to say that I'll be following this LP with interest and look forward to all the stupid bullshit the OP will no doubt be showcasing.

E: as for the tragic history of Rare following its acquisition by Microsoft, you can hear some of it right from the horse's mouth on this (sadly defunct) LP by some of the designers of Conker's Bad Fur Day: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFP9r6vJL2qCCERMBP_ZWUEV0vaSL4rHf

(Sorry if it's already been linked!)

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 7, 2014

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

murphyslaw posted:

The game had a thread in Games where goons would post screens of their creations. Some of them were quite impressive, someone with archives might be able to dig it up and see for themselves, if the image hosts aren't long dead.

I recall a huge passenger jet that someone posted a video of flying around the last level. I think it was the fact it was an hilariously disproportionate in size to the level itself that caused it to stick in my memory.

I've got to spend some time on youtube looking at other peoples creations, there's some amazing looking stuff out there I see.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

We beat Grunty for the first time, get our hands on the elusive High Grip Wheels™ and take our first look at Logbox720

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 3: Nutty Acres Act 3 & Logbox720 Act 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 11, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Dex01 posted:

Update!

{Edit} I'm a doofus and forgot something important I'm fixing it now

Was it the voices? The video? The color blue?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I didn't see anything missing, when I watched it. So I'm guessing it's something that is spliced in somewhere. And if it's a color, I'd say it would be red.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Hey, I know I'm kind of late to the party AND on the wrong thread, but I just wanted you to add another Wii U sale due to your old SM3DW thread. Loved that one. Also love this one, keep up the good work!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pyroi posted:

Was it the voices? The video? The color blue?

loving blue. Always acting so high and mighty "Oh look at me, I'm a primary color!" gently caress you, blue.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
I've fixed it now you can watch the update here:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 3: Nutty Acres Act 3 & Logbox720 Act 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly though, who uses chatrooms these days when you have Scruff, Growlr, etc....

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Dex01 posted:

I've fixed it now you can watch the update here:

What did you fix? I don't really want to watch the entire episode all over again, just to try and find out what was missing the first time. There's only so much Nuts & Bolts a person can take. :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Kgummy posted:

What did you fix? I don't really want to watch the entire episode all over again, just to try and find out what was missing the first time. There's only so much Nuts & Bolts a person can take. :v:

He didn't do any autoducking because he's smart.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm surprised you didn't use the spring for the Jinjo launching thing.

I always make a plane-Taxi for that Logbox mission so I can just ignore basically all the enemies.

Nutty Acres Act 4 is not the end of Nutty Acres.

Those 2 doors around the Bank with huge jiggy requirements to open are Acts 5 and 6.

I like this game enough as a vehicle-builder/racer thing but it's not really a Banjo game to me but I wouldn't be showing it any mercy.

Now I'm off to start this game up fresh and see how many crates I can pile up in front of Mumbo right at the start. :shepicide:

E: Oh hey, this insert in the game box has Character summaries.

Jolly Dodger posted:

He used to be called Roger, and while he's still jolly, he's now dodgy: selling black-market Jiggies to anyone who can afford his prices.
So there's that.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 11, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love Logbox 720, because it's a great level. It's fun because it's a Vertically-Oriented level. I built a plane and flew all around it.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
I always did enjoy seeing the wacky stuff this game's physics engine can do - Rooreeloo's LP was a favorite of mine due to him making a new bizarre, often INSANE vehicle every single challenge/act/zone/on a whim.

Here's to hoping you show off what the vehicle creation stuff is really capable of as this goes on (like those flying parts you've had since the very first update :v:)

It also honestly makes me sad every time you calmly drive up to an NPC, especially Grunty - you can speed at them and hop out and the trolley just smashes them to paste with them usually making little-to-no effort to dodge i forget if this pisses the cops off later

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Jinjo's book is in fact the Wotnot Book from Kameo: Elements of Power.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Chimera-gui posted:

The Jinjo's book is in fact the Wotnot Book from Kameo: Elements of Power.

Well, you know what they say, "Waste not, Wotnot!" :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neurion posted:

Well, you know what they say, "Waste not, Wotnot!" :v:

You mean like how Conker's in project spark?

:smithicide:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"I've never touched a drop of marijuana in my life"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I for one would be thrilled to hear you talk about Viva Pinata, Vile.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

JordanKai posted:

"I've never touched a drop of marijuana in my life"

:golfclap: Subtle

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

I for one would be thrilled to hear you talk about Viva Pinata, Vile.

Agreed, Viva Piñata is one of those games I'd like to see an LP for that's never really brought up in forum much.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, Nuts & Bolts. I enjoyed this game for what it was, but it really was the death knell for the collect-a-thon platformer.

I'm still super bummed that we're never going to get Banjo-Threeie.

e: I mean, you made a good game, Rare, and that's cool, but can we go back to what you promised us decades ago?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, Nuts & Bolts. I enjoyed this game for what it was, but it really was the death knell for the collect-a-thon platformer.

I'm still super bummed that we're never going to get Banjo-Threeie.

e: I mean, you made a good game, Rare, and that's cool, but can we go back to what you promised us decades ago?

But they did implement stop n swop in the xbla releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It just occurred to me that this would have been the perfect game adaption for The Lego Movie.

Rare was ahead of their time, I guess?

• Locked thread