Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

JordanKai posted:

"I've never touched a drop of marijuana in my life"

I had to go back to the video to see if that actually showed up, or you edited that.

The fact that it it actually popped up then is kind of amazing. (11:54 thereabouts for the tick over.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
it's a small detail, but the game disc in the log box have comments where the copyright information should be

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
By the way, Dex, you DO know you can use custom vehicles in the stages, even outside of missions, right? You don't have to use the basically useless trolley everywhere. I'm just asking because you seem to be avoiding using any flying machine in LOGBOX to save you a ton of frustration.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

Senerio posted:

By the way, Dex, you DO know you can use custom vehicles in the stages, even outside of missions, right? You don't have to use the basically useless trolley everywhere.

This is kinda what I was saying as well, although I was trying to be polite about it :v:

Here's a thought though:
This game is all about being creative and the physics can do such wacky stuff - how plausible would a "no trolleys allowed except in town/you must re-shape any trolleys forced on you" kind of rule be?

Would help mix things up both for Dex and the viewers.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

TwistedSynapse posted:

This is kinda what I was saying as well, although I was trying to be polite about it :v:

Here's a thought though:
This game is all about being creative and the physics can do such wacky stuff - how plausible would a "no trolleys allowed except in town/you must re-shape any trolleys forced on you" kind of rule be?

Would help mix things up both for Dex and the viewers.

Make things even more interesting. Before recording a level go to random.org and enter the number of jiggies you have for the top number and 5 for the bottom number and you have to build a vehicle for bopping around the level using exactly that number of parts

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Microsoft basically gutted Rare the moment they acquired them.

The rotting husk that we call Rare now has basically nothing in common with the people that made the original games and Microsoft will never let them off their Kinect shaped leash long enough to make anything actually good, let alone another Banjo-Kazooie game, until they decide to completely scrap the company for financial reasons. And even if they scrap the company and those employees go form a new company Microsoft will still own the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. :smith:

I'm tired of people parroting this line that RARE were ruined the moment Microsft took them over. To me there's been 2 stages, pre- and post-Kinect RARE.

Here's what RARE released under MS before Kinect in 2010:
  • 2003 - Grabbed By The Ghoulies (partly developed under Nintendo as a GC budget game, it wasn't quite intended as a major release)
  • 2005 - Conker: Live & Reloaded (very underrated I think, the swearing in the campaign was partly censored, but it had a revolutionary multiplayer campaign that was a mix of Battlefield, Tribes and Enemy Territory which really deserves a re-release)
  • 2005 - Perfect Dark Zero
  • 2005 - Kameo
  • 2006 - Viva Pinata
  • 2008 - Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • 2008 - Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
I think all of those games vary from good to great though flawed, but so were many of their N64 titles. To me, it's really since 2010 that things have truly gone downhill, where they've been stuck modelling trinkets for Xbox 360 Avatars and Kinect Sports.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TwistedSynapse posted:

Yeah, when I wrote it I didn't mean for it to come off so rude. I just reread it when you quoted it. Sorry, Dex. I'm an idiot more than a jerk.

I built an all-purpose exploration vehicle before, which was a car with folding wings and detachable floaters. It works really well.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Yeah, when I wrote it I didn't mean for it to come off so rude. I just reread it when you quoted it. Sorry, Dex. I'm an idiot more than a jerk.

I built an all-purpose exploration vehicle before, which was a car with folding wings and detachable floaters. It works really well.

I used a similar vehicle for most of the game. It was a self-imposed challenge as much as anything, because I could've used more purpose-built vehicles and had an easier time, but I liked seeing how much I could add to the thing and still have it be viable all-around.

And then when I beat the game, I spent about 20 minutes having Kazooie completely demolish it with the wrench-whack.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread, so I'll bring it up myself. There actually was a "real" Banjo Kazooie game in development early on after Microsoft's acquisition. I don't remember if I saw the screens in a magazine or on the internet, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. If I remembered what its little project code name was, I'd probably be able to find more, but for now that's all I can say.

Also Nuts & Bolts is the Metroid: Other M of BK. The writing is insulting (for different reasons of course) and the gameplay idea is good but doesn't belong to the series it's trying to be part of.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I could have sworn I heard somewhere it was outright stated that Nuts and Bolts was it's own thing, then someone upstairs walked by and caught a glimpse of an early prototype and said "hey just stick banjo and kazooie in there" or something like that

I played the demo a bunch, woulda bought it but I was playing other games at the time

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Cheez posted:

Also Nuts & Bolts is the Metroid: Other M of BK. The writing is insulting (for different reasons of course) and the gameplay idea is good but doesn't belong to the series it's trying to be part of.

Yeah, regardless of how the game came about in its final form, I think the actual game itself is pretty fun. I never played Banjo Kazooie much, so without too much attachment to the series prior I actually really enjoy this game. In hindsight, if it did what Viva Pinata did and started a new IP, it would have probably been even more successful. It wouldn't have the disconnect from its primary audience (Banjo Kazooie fans). Although who knows, maybe the primary audience by then was more like "children ages 10+" or some other, broader demographic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It is absolutely loving bizarre to hear the dudes talk so much poo poo about the game in the first video, then proceed to have next to nothing to complain about and pretty much being all back-handed compliments. Does it really get that much worse later on, because as is it just seems to be sour grapes to the extreme with all the people expecting MS of all publishers to release a pure platformer in this day and age on a console.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Does it really get that much worse later on
Yes it will.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Although who knows, maybe the primary audience by then was more like "children ages 10+" or some other, broader demographic.

Pretty much all mascot games apart from like Conker's Bad Fur Day are marketed to kids regardless of the brand's own age, the besr examples of this being Mario and Kirby.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Do you ever get to fight LOG? Because beating him up would be pretty satisfying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Monkey Man posted:

Do you ever get to fight LOG? Because beating him up would be pretty satisfying.

Considering he made Banjo and Kazooie fit and in shape again, he'd probably revert them to their fat selves before blowing them apart, he's the Lord of Games after all. :v:

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

It is absolutely loving bizarre to hear the dudes talk so much poo poo about the game in the first video, then proceed to have next to nothing to complain about and pretty much being all back-handed compliments. Does it really get that much worse later on, because as is it just seems to be sour grapes to the extreme with all the people expecting MS of all publishers to release a pure platformer in this day and age on a console.

Personally, I don't want to give the game any space because its just.. painful. Im TRYING SO HARD to see the good so anything it does well at all I call attention to and try to ignore the mediocre bad stuff- Im pretty sure people don't want video after video of just complaining about the same thing over and over. Backhanded complimenting is the best this game will ever get from me, as it doesn't deserve more than that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Yeah, right, expecting that is dumb.

Almost as dumb as MS even using an IP known to be a platformer and repurposing it into something entirely different.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I will say that as somebody who has never played this game or any other banjo kazooie games, or even rare games except for a couple of the old DKCs this game still looks terrible. The art direction, sound direction, character modeling, world design, is all fantastic, easily the best part from what I can see.

The gameplay on the otherhand looks so incredibly mind numblingly bad. Building vehicles seems like it would get old for me after half an hour and I'd be asking myself what else was there.

Though I really really really like the collectibles as physical objects things. It seems like it's a tad tedious hauling crates and jiggies around but I really don't count that toward the game because it's such a neat concept that is actually handled moderately well. Even if it's a little odd.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, who would ever expect the new Banjo-Kazooie game to be a platformer after a first trailer like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWLdO9GLWM

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Agent355 posted:

I will say that as somebody who has never played this game or any other banjo kazooie games, or even rare games except for a couple of the old DKCs this game still looks terrible. The art direction, sound direction, character modeling, world design, is all fantastic, easily the best part from what I can see.

The gameplay on the otherhand looks so incredibly mind numblingly bad. Building vehicles seems like it would get old for me after half an hour and I'd be asking myself what else was there.

Though I really really really like the collectibles as physical objects things. It seems like it's a tad tedious hauling crates and jiggies around but I really don't count that toward the game because it's such a neat concept that is actually handled moderately well. Even if it's a little odd.

I agree with all your points. This game is somewhat creative, but its design is just not appropriate for either the franchise or supporting the vehicles. Assembling a lego-block abomination of a chair with six jets and a two fuel tanks is fun and all, but the levels are just such boring wastelands that there's no reason to bother with it.

The game tries to carry itself on humor, but being self-depreciating only goes so far to make up for bad design.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 14, 2014

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
Yeah building a lego brick with wheels is boring, cause yeah that's just boring!

This game can do wacky wacky stuff like vehicles that gyrate into the sky without a motor (or more than one wheel!), lopsided lovecraftian vehicles that the physics engine shits its pants over and thinks are perpetually going downhill even when sitting still, or a favorite of mine, vehicles that can perform hopscotch and drive on walls and ceilings!

What's even better is, as far as I can see, Dex has the parts to make all of those joke vehicle I just mentioned.
As for messing with LOG, like I mentioned in a previous post Roo would, without fail, diss LOG by smashing his face with the trolley every time he had a reason to go near him and I loved it :allears:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TwistedSynapse posted:

Yeah building a lego brick with wheels is boring, cause yeah that's just boring!

This game can do wacky wacky stuff like vehicles that gyrate into the sky without a motor (or more than one wheel!), lopsided lovecraftian vehicles that the physics engine shits its pants over and thinks are perpetually going downhill even when sitting still, or a favorite of mine, vehicles that can perform hopscotch and drive on walls and ceilings!

What's even better is, as far as I can see, Dex has the parts to make all of those joke vehicle I just mentioned.
As for messing with LOG, like I mentioned in a previous post Roo would, without fail, diss LOG by smashing his face with the trolley every time he had a reason to go near him and I loved it :allears:

Sure, but what do you do with your wacky vehicles after you have them? Without anything else to support them in the level's design, driving around the same boring areas gets old even with a series of increasingly ridiculous contraptions. The game just doesn't support either platforming or vehicles that well.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Sure, but what do you do with your wacky vehicles after you have them? Without anything else to support them in the level's design, driving around the same boring areas gets old even with a series of increasingly ridiculous contraptions. The game just doesn't support either platforming or vehicles that well.

you play multiplayer

i havent played this game in years and i dont remember the platforming being bad, and i dont know how you can think the levels dont support vehicles well at all.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a multiplayer mode where you play Darts, with your car as the dart. If you use L.O.G.'s choice vehicle, it's a dart.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, right, expecting that is dumb.

Almost as dumb as MS even using an IP known to be a platformer and repurposing it into something entirely different.
I'm not really a platformer guy, excepting maybe Jak and Daxter and a bit of Gex the Gecko, but has there honestly been a pure platformer except for Rayman on a major non-Nintendo console? I guess that might just drive up expectation more but eh.

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah, who would ever expect the new Banjo-Kazooie game to be a platformer after a first trailer like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWLdO9GLWM
Haha, though looking back, it being full of fake-outs is pretty amusing, eh.

Vilemoon posted:

Personally, I don't want to give the game any space because its just.. painful. Im TRYING SO HARD to see the good so anything it does well at all I call attention to and try to ignore the mediocre bad stuff- Im pretty sure people don't want video after video of just complaining about the same thing over and over. Backhanded complimenting is the best this game will ever get from me, as it doesn't deserve more than that.
Understandable I guess, though I disagree that complaining and hate don't fit in LP. Some of the finest LPs on this subforum were works of hate, so long as you let that shine through in a funny way.

I dunno, I guess my thought is why bother if you don't feel strongly about it one way or another?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly if the games gimmick and appeal is building stupid vehicles in stupid physics engine and going nuts with them. As long as the game forcing you to use it's special snowflake vehicles is as common as people have indicated, it's probably deserving of that scorn. And that's before the bait and switch marketing stuff that generates most of the dislike people seem to have.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Huh, that's not nearly as bad as some of the people in this thread were making it sound.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 14, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly if the games gimmick and appeal is building stupid vehicles in stupid physics engine and going nuts with them. As long as the game forcing you to use it's special snowflake vehicles is as common as people have indicated, it's probably deserving of that scorn. And that's before the bait and switch marketing stuff that generates most of the dislike people seem to have.

If I remember right, it's about 1/15 or so missions that are required to be a LOG's choice mission. Those generally consist of Jinjo Taxis, and missions that could be trivialized with a pair of wings.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
Also ALL missions where LOG forces a vehicle on you, you can just slap a button and re-shape the vehicle in 10sec - usually there's even extra parts lying on the ground explicitly FOR you to do this!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This loving trailer :smithicide:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also remember Dex has abused some glitches to have vehicle parts he's really not supposed to just yet - usually you'd have to struggle through the Jinjo missions as best you could without heavy blocks or jet engines, and then go back for the trophy later.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
It's one thing to hate the game you're LPing so long as the commentary is fresh and engaging, and you enjoy hating on aspects of the game. But all I've seen from the first video is that you clearly don't want to take on this project. It's all just whinging and lamenting that this game is not what you want it to be and getting bothered by the their attempts at self-deprecating humor; it's not hate, just apathy. It's also the same swan song parroted multiple times each page, but I digress. Frankly, why are you bothering with this project, and why should I bother watching any of these videos?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Because he kicking the poo poo out of it by using glitches and making things that simply should not be built at this time. I like watching it is also doing a 100% LP.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

notoriousman posted:

It's one thing to hate the game you're LPing so long as the commentary is fresh and engaging, and you enjoy hating on aspects of the game. But all I've seen from the first video is that you clearly don't want to take on this project. It's all just whinging and lamenting that this game is not what you want it to be and getting bothered by the their attempts at self-deprecating humor; it's not hate, just apathy. It's also the same swan song parroted multiple times each page, but I digress. Frankly, why are you bothering with this project, and why should I bother watching any of these videos?

I agree. About ten minutes into the first video, you say "Excellent, the trolley's broken--don't have to play the game anymore!"

Unless you lost a bet or something, you never had to play the game in the first place. If you're going to play a game willingly, I'd much rather watch you play something you enjoy and legitimately have a good time with than see you suffer through something you obviously don't care for.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
guys i dont get it

can someone explain what jokes are to me

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are you trying to LP a bad game that you don't like? I am flabbergasted.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you trying to LP a bad game that you don't like? I am flabbergasted.

I know, who does that?? Who would do such a thing?! There is no humor to be found in suffering!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've never even seen or heard of such a thing countless times!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
How dare you break the legendary "only lp games you like and think are good" rule. I have reported you, good sirs, and you should expect your probations within the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I agree. About ten minutes into the first video, you say "Excellent, the trolley's broken--don't have to play the game anymore!"

Unless you lost a bet or something, you never had to play the game in the first place. If you're going to play a game willingly, I'd much rather watch you play something you enjoy and legitimately have a good time with than see you suffer through something you obviously don't care for.

We do care. That is the problem, honestly. This game is a burning red hot disappointment in our lives that its like a slap in the face. I understand the tone is extremely different from SM3DW, but we DO want to do this. Me and Dex LOVE Banjo so wholly that we feel it needs to be done, as sort of a resolution to our childhoods. Yes, we made jokes like "oh hey its broke dont have to play" but thats all it was. A joke. Jokes and humor is all very subjective!

There are a ton of pieces to this game that add cool stuff, but doesnt make it great. The gameplay is bland and the only real enjoyable part is creating vehicles, which is intuitive as hell. But all the other parts? Having to do challenges in order to get tokens and jiggies is one thing but when all of them are "go here, do small thing, you did it."

We are doing this as the final piece in the Banjo LP series because we love that bear and bird so god drat much we have to give it something. And that something is the sad, pathetic swan song that is "Nuts and Bolts."

I can understand that isnt everyone's ideal LP of this game. Thats alright! You can like the game. I wont think less of ya for it.

Vilemoon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2014

• Locked thread