Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I was certainly not expecting to see this thread pop up. I thought you guys were done LPing for a while.

As for the game: Vehicle building was sweet, but I want my modern Banjo platformer, god drat it Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I actually like Kazooie and Mumbo. Banjo's squareishness is hit or miss, but eh.

I'd heard at one point that the characters' dialogue was actually going to be voiced instead of using the typical sound effects from BK and BT. Call me crazy, but I'm curious to see how that would've turned out; it's not like this game could have possibly been MORE divisive. I bring it up because it struck me that Grunty's cackling after she booted the cat in that one cutscene sounded a lot more like actual voice acting than anything else in this game to my recollection.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh, on the topic of horrible fan creations, the weird fan art thread had a bunch of BK fan art in one post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3683299&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post438483756

Hey, it's not ALL horrible. That one of Kazooie with the massive pile of jiggies is amazing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Yeah, when I wrote it I didn't mean for it to come off so rude. I just reread it when you quoted it. Sorry, Dex. I'm an idiot more than a jerk.

I built an all-purpose exploration vehicle before, which was a car with folding wings and detachable floaters. It works really well.

I used a similar vehicle for most of the game. It was a self-imposed challenge as much as anything, because I could've used more purpose-built vehicles and had an easier time, but I liked seeing how much I could add to the thing and still have it be viable all-around.

And then when I beat the game, I spent about 20 minutes having Kazooie completely demolish it with the wrench-whack.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neurion posted:

Make the Shagohod.

drat, you beat me to it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Aww yeah, the folding wings.

Dex's trolley is starting to remind me of the one I wound up with by the end of the game. I think it had like six engines (including jets) and the folding wings, but it was so heavy due to maxing out its fuel (necessary because all those engines get about eight gallons to the mile) and ammo that it could actually still maneuver on the ground reasonably well.

That bit with the ejector seat in the previous video was loving hilarious, by the way. I had no idea you could do that.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Really, that just makes me glad I stole the game from my rear end in a top hat younger sister instead of paying money for it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, at least that thing acknowledged Kazooie has wings, which is more than you can say for N&B...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DeliciousCookie posted:

I've probably said this before, but the DLC to the game handles challenges far better in general. Each mission in the DLC has an optional Logs Choice and a Player Creation version. Letting you have both types of challenges as well as having more gimmicky stuff to do in them.

Wait, this game had DLC?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

Luckily that kinda blew over...by it turning out Mighty No 9 really isn't anything fantastic at all.

:(

There was sure a lot of hype around it, but when it comes right down to it, it was always going to be nothing more than a Mega Man game with a shiny new coat of paint. Nothing wrong with that if you like Mega Man, since Capcom certainly isn't going to make any more of them, but the level of heightened expectations that cropped up from it got ridiculously out of hand.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As for plot, Banjo-Tooie had considerably more than B-K. Still on the light side, but Grunty and her sisters at least did stuff while you progressed through the game (granted, most of it was toward the beginning to establish the stakes).

Thinking about it, the story of the series progressed from silly to dark humor rather quickly. In B-K, you were just trying to stop Grunty from turning herself into a hottie at Tootie's expense. The worst that happened was that Tootie got fat and needed some dental work. In B-T, Grunty starts off the game with a revenge-driven murder spree and things just continue from there. If you fail, Grunty kills everybody on the Isle O' Hags. The contrast has always amused me.

Dex and Vile: The Stop & Swop stuff in the XBLA versions of B-K/B-T actually was implemented as intended, basically. You collect the hidden eggs in those secret areas in B-K, which open up after you've started a B-T save file I think, and use them to acquire the original hidden stuff in B-T (such as the ice key which leads to Kazooie's dragon form, which on the N64 wound up in a hidden B-K gamepak in B-T, if I remember). The pointless garbage S&S stuff was hidden eggs in B-T that unlocked avatars and cosmetic vehicle parts in N&B.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 7, 2015

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And once you have everything in the first save slot, all the other save slots automatically have it, so you can only do it the one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You have to admit, blasting the poo poo out of Grunty with homing rockets was, if nothing else, cathartic as all get-out.

You've almost made me want to boot up the game so I can do it again. Blast the poo poo out of Grunty with homing rockets, that is. Also, maybe build a Kinetikos.

Edit: Also, laughed my rear end off at the last 20 seconds of the video. I didn't think you'd actually do it.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 13, 2015

• Locked thread