Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A few days before my dad died in August, I got the call I'd been dreading from my mother. She told me it was time to come home for my dad's last days. I live in California, and they live in Alabama. I packed up my PS4, super slim PS3 and PS Vita—alas, my desktop PC was too big—and made the journey.

I'd never experienced a death this close to me before, and I had no idea how to handle it. But it was a safe bet that "handling it" was going to involve playing some games, and so I was going to make sure I had as many as possible at my disposal.

There's no right or wrong way to grieve, people say. "Everyone has to grieve in their own way!" they yell into our abyss of sadness. Most of the people who tried to impart that bit of popular wisdom didn't know how I was planning to grieve.

Contrary to what I was told, there absolutely is a wrong way to grieve. I could have disappeared down some bottles of liquor. My dad's mother took her grief out on my mom; I'm pretty sure that counts as a "wrong way to grieve," considering it made everybody else somehow feel even shittier than we already did.

My official grieving process began before my dad died. I spent three-and-a-half days in the hospice before he passed, but after he stopped being coherent. We sat with him, held his hand, talked to him, but he seemed more like a broken automaton than a human being most of the time.

There isn't much to do in a hospice, of course, and we happened to be at a hospice in a small town in rural Alabama. There weren't many places nearby, like a movie theater, that might have given me a reason to leave that death hospital for a brief respite. Instead, I sipped on whiskey —enough to untangle my nerves a bit but not enough to get smashed—wrapped myself in a blanket in a pretty OK recliner, and played Danganronpa 2 on my Vita.

Danganronpa 2 is a visual novel. It doesn't require a ton of overt energy to play, which was ideal. Its story and themes were strangely appropriate for what was happening in my life. It's a game about death and despair, as a bunch of high school kids are trapped on a tropical island, and if any of them wants to leave they must kill one of their friends and then pin it on another student.

Danganronpa 2's subtitle is "Goodbye Despair." It's story is about holding onto hope through dark times. Our hero character is struggling to have faith that he and his friends will be able to persevere and survive through it all, as they fall one by one around him—this was obviously something I could relate to and draw strength from as I, severely depressed as I am on a good day, sat in that chair waiting for my dad to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
videogames help me say bye to my loved ones too op

*puts on headphones*
*plays it loud*

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

There's a death in every case in phoenix wright ace attorney, too, maybe you should try that game out i guess

didnt really read the OP but he likes storygames where people die so thats another good one

also telltale's walking dead is pretty tight

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
not gonna lie, OP, i cried a single manly tear when reading your story. your father would be proud of your gamerscore if he was still around today. stay strong,, and game on. :patriot:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Danganronpa 2's subtitle is "Goodbye Despair." It's story is about holding onto hope through dark times. Our hero character is struggling to have faith that he and his friends will be able to persevere and survive through it all

Especially the character with the big anime boobies, right OP?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fellis posted:

Especially the character with the big anime boobies, right OP?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mine was final fantasy 6 (general leo is basically a surrogate father figure[

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
wait is this another SA subforum where we have to pretend to hate big anime boobies?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Simoom posted:

wait is this another SA subforum where we have to pretend to hate big anime boobies?

if you don't hate anime tits then you are Part Of The Problem

the pedophile problem

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

the pedophile problem

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
friend of the family.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

the pedophile problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

“We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”
— Kenji Miyazawa

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
by scowling every time i see Tifa Lockheart's breasts and making sure everybody sees, i ward off my innate urges to touch kids

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

A few days before my dad died in August, I got the call I'd been dreading from my mother. She told me it was time to come home for my dad's last days. I live in California, and they live in Alabama. I packed up my PS4, super slim PS3 and PS Vita—alas, my desktop PC was too big—and made the journey.

I'd never experienced a death this close to me before, and I had no idea how to handle it. But it was a safe bet that "handling it" was going to involve playing some games, and so I was going to make sure I had as many as possible at my disposal.

There's no right or wrong way to grieve, people say. "Everyone has to grieve in their own way!" they yell into our abyss of sadness. Most of the people who tried to impart that bit of popular wisdom didn't know how I was planning to grieve.

Contrary to what I was told, there absolutely is a wrong way to grieve. I could have disappeared down some bottles of liquor. My dad's mother took her grief out on my mom; I'm pretty sure that counts as a "wrong way to grieve," considering it made everybody else somehow feel even shittier than we already did.

My official grieving process began before my dad died. I spent three-and-a-half days in the hospice before he passed, but after he stopped being coherent. We sat with him, held his hand, talked to him, but he seemed more like a broken automaton than a human being most of the time.

There isn't much to do in a hospice, of course, and we happened to be at a hospice in a small town in rural Alabama. There weren't many places nearby, like a movie theater, that might have given me a reason to leave that death hospital for a brief respite. Instead, I sipped on whiskey —enough to untangle my nerves a bit but not enough to get smashed—wrapped myself in a blanket in a pretty OK recliner, and played Danganronpa 2 on my Vita.

Danganronpa 2 is a visual novel. It doesn't require a ton of overt energy to play, which was ideal. Its story and themes were strangely appropriate for what was happening in my life. It's a game about death and despair, as a bunch of high school kids are trapped on a tropical island, and if any of them wants to leave they must kill one of their friends and then pin it on another student.

Danganronpa 2's subtitle is "Goodbye Despair." It's story is about holding onto hope through dark times. Our hero character is struggling to have faith that he and his friends will be able to persevere and survive through it all, as they fall one by one around him—this was obviously something I could relate to and draw strength from as I, severely depressed as I am on a good day, sat in that chair waiting for my dad to die.

Sorry about your dad, dude.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

lol dead bitch!!!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

The White Dragon posted:

the pedophile problem

Agreed.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If there's one thing pedophiles love, it's big breasts on fully grown women.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

that legit got me in my feels

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

hmm.. sounds like tis guy didnt actually play animal crossing... im conflicted in my feelings

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
animal crossing was p cool on the GameCube

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

p coo, p chill hth.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Simoom posted:

by scowling every time i see Tifa Lockheart's breasts and making sure everybody sees, i ward off my innate urges to touch kids

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how's that new leaf?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Simoom posted:

nah tifa lockheart is fine, i would even go so far as to say waifu fine. i said anime titties not nintendo titties, get with the program

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

nah tifa lockheart is fine, i would even go so far as to say waifu fine. i said anime titties not nintendo titties, get with the program

You're an anti-gaming retard.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

It is WRONG to play Dead or Alive, pedophile scum.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver Striker posted:

You're an anti-gaming retard.

well is there a gang tag for this or what

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

well is there a gang tag for this or what

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Lol.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The White Dragon posted:

:downsbravo:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Stay strong in these trying times

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
soon...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Stay strong in these trying times

faye wong and shes frying limes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I hate to be "that guy," especially in the face of your tragedy, but visual novels are hardly video games.

• Locked thread