Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
November 14, 201X

Today stands as a pretty typical day so far for the shop. A few of the regulars are seated about with a typical customer or two, scattered between the few tables that actually fit inside the shop as everyone huddles away from the cold.

Among them are a motorcyclist who stops by at erratic times and works as a delivery girl for a popular e-commerce website based in the area and always seems to wear her helmet, a young chinese girl who runs the local yoga studio and seems entirely too energetic for someone who teaches people to assume static poses all day long, and a freelance reporter who's been constantly snooping around here for the past two weeks thanks to that whole Headless Horseman debacle that you all clearly weren't involved in at all, and thus don't need to worry about the thousands of dollars in vandalism to the heads of various statues throughout the city that was caused by a strange man riding a gigantic horse and swinging around what witnesses say was an equally gigantic sword.

Of these people, you know that one of them is a dullahan who insists the tales got the whole death part wrong, one is a jiangshi who enjoys shopping too much to go around draining the life out of people, and one is just incredibly obnoxious and may as well be some kind of pixie for how much of a pain in the rear end she's been, but she's probably just a normal human. Even without the reporter, there's enough normal folk around that you probably don't want anything too suspicious coming out into the shop's lobby, lest you get yet another visit from that dull detective. He's just bad for business, y'know?

Also fairly typical is the giant demon who is now taking up most of the kitchen in the back, much to the chagrin of your also-demon baker Mary. Despite her usual cheerful attitude given her need to feed upon the happiness of mortals, she seems incredibly furious about the gatekeeper you accidentally pulled through what you've taken to calling the 'paranormal fishing hole', a summoning circle you've painted onto one of the walls of the break room. The gatekeeper himself seems to be enjoying the break from his usual duties and isn't quite content to turn around and head back into the hole, instead snatching a few of the cupcakes Mary had been working on and snarfing them down. Between bites of entire cupcakes and attempts to properly wiggle through the undersized doorway out of the partially broken break room, he starts rumbling about his new plans for the day.

"You know, I think I've heard talk about you guys now that I think about it. Bunch of weird human kids upsetting the balance, getting around the gates I'm supposed to be making sure don't get busted down. Nice place though, even if it is a little small. Tell you what, I needed my break anyways. I'll take it here, and you won't hear nothing about how I'm pretty sure you're breaking about half a dozen rules the big man put down about this kind of thing. Deal?"

Mary huffs and marches away with the rest of her cupcakes that weren't simultaneously pulverized and scorched by a big jerk's fist.

Nina, this is kind of your fault for digging into the fishing hole in the first place. What were you trying to pull out in the first place and why?

Nick, you know the gatekeepers are basically just some grunts, but they're important enough for grunts. What dirt do you have on this guy?

Max, you know well enough by now that reporter will jump on anything and everything remotely suspicious, which goes against your protocol to protect the coffee shop and keep it running. What's your damage control plan?

James, you were off checking on that supposed branch of the world tree you've been in a bidding war on and just walked into the back to find a giant demon composing what used to be the break room and shoving cupcakes into his face without any initial context. How does a Templar panic?

Everyone, what's the name of the coffee shop and the city? Bonus points for urban legends and other stuff we can play off of, even if we use someone else's name. Feel free to make up whatever details you like about both of them. This is the game where the main mechanic is letting you make stuff up, after all!

Go ahead and post your character sheet in your first post like usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
"Oh, so it's us breaking the rules, is it?" Nick smirked and took a bite of cupcake. One more missing couldn't hurt. "How about this, Dan--can I call you Dan?" The demon's name was much longer of course, but it was rude to use a demon's full name. Words of power and all that.

"You can take your break here and have your free cupcakes, but it has to be less than 10 minutes. Get out of here by then and your boss won't have to learn about the stash of mortal booze you have."

It was just an office rumor, but other demons had noticed Dan and friends coming into work with hangover pretty frequently despite not being seen at any hell pubs the night before. After that it became common but whispered knowledge that Dan was the one to go to for "the goods." Nick didn't blame them; the beer in Hell was awful. And there was something about the extra-dimensional properties of mortal booze that got demons especially trashed.

Nick looked over as James walked in. He paused for a moment, opened his mouth, closed it again, and finally settled on just "Hmmm. Well."

quote:

Name: Nick Scratch
High Concept: Demon Lord Banished From Hell
He liked to think of himself as a Demon Lord, but he was really more of a middle manager. His repeated attempts to seize power from higher Demon Lords by pointing out his excellent work record to the Demon King got him banished to the mortal world for being an annoying kiss-rear end. With the last of his demonic powers of bureaucracy, he managed to fabricate records establishing himself as a legitimate citizen and get a job to support himself while he tries to find a way to regain his strength and return to Hell to get his revenge (by getting the other Demon Lords fired).

Trouble: Not So Human
Nick doesn't quite have the whole "human" thing down. Sometimes he forgets that he's just a lowly coffee shop worker and not the commander of a small army of demons, getting him in trouble when he talks down to other people. He sometimes slips up and refers to humans as "foolish mortals" or something like that, and he tends to miss social cues and things like empathy. Demons were easy to understand, but humans are just so complicated.

Other Aspects:
- I Will Conquer The World (Of Coffee)
He is still just as ambitious as a coffee shop worker as he was as a Demon Lord, and he gains great joy from simple things like being named Employee of the Week. Anyone who gets in his way should watch their back, though.

- Two More TBD

Approaches:

Careful: +1
Clever: +2
Flashy: +3
Forceful: +1
Quick: +0
Sneaky: +2

Stunts (3 of them)

Because I have Otherworldly Contacts, once per session I can contact a demon who has relevant skills or knowledge to the situation.

Stress: [][][]

Consequences

Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Refresh: 3

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Max
FP 3

Another day, just like the last and the one before that. Max liked that, the routine. Even the fracas in back didn't bother the golem too much, so long as it didn't interfere with his focus: a well-run front end. So when that reporter waltzed in and took up a window seat, Max frowned just a little bit. There were several things wrong here. One, that was a good seat, perfect for watching the world go by. Two, it had good wifi access. Three, it was obvious she was up to no good, sitting there with iPad all deployed for taking notes.

Max winced just a little at the sound of something knocking over in the back and the way the reporter's ears perked up. Well, time to do something about it. From a dozen places he pulled out sample cups, mixes, a carafe of freshly brewed hot chocolate and whipped cream. With one hand arranging and pouring he hid the other from view as he sprinkled into one cup the special ingredient: red pepper flakes.

Then with a smile he was out from the counter, balancing a tray laden with tiny cups of chocolately goodness. And one with something extra for a special troublesome someone.

"Free samples of our new hot cocoa blend! Would you like to try one?

Rolling to Cleverly Create Advantage: 4dF+2 3Extra Spicy Drink for using against the reporter.

quote:

Name: Max Mustermann
High Concept: Abandoned Golem
Max is an living, thinking being created from clay and obscure alchemical ingredients, inscribed with Words of Power to give him life. Soon after his awakening, Max's creator disappeared, leaving the newly "born" golem to walk the earth aimlessly. That is, until a well-meaning stranger uttered the words "You look like you could use a job. Come in tomorrow and I'll get you started." And so the life of Max, eternal part-time employee started.

Trouble: The Magus Customer Is Always Right
As a golem, Max was made to serve. As such he sometimes finds it a little difficult to refuse the requests and demands of his surrogate authority figure: customers.

Aspect: Just Doing My Job
Max has a very strong work ethic and the idea of abandoning a task or even leaving it half-done does not sit right at all. Give him something to do and he will 100% it to his best ability: something as simple as "take care of the trash" can start as emptying the trashcans then move to cleaning the parking lot, arranging for the dumpster to be emptied, etc. He sees nothing extraordinary about this and doesn't understand why sometimes people make a big deal.

Aspect: TBD

Aspect: TBD

Approaches:

Careful +3
Clever +2
Flashy +1
Forceful +2
Quick +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts
Do you work here? Thanks to his extensive work history and a certain je ne sais quoi, once per session Max can pass as an employee of a retail or food service business.

Stress:[][][]

Consequences

Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nina

Nina sat in the corner, meekly hiding her face behind her laptop as the demon made itself at home. "S-Sorry..." It had kinda been her fault the guy was even here in the first place. She thought that the fishing hole would be a good place to try to get in contact with the fabled Lakefair Monster, a cryptid from the town of Lakefair's earlier days. She had figured that it was a demon of some sort and thought it would give her some material for the Grimoire Obscurum. Maybe as a familiar or something. She hoped the coven mothers didn't hear about this.

Oh goddesses, it's James. As he walked in, she innocently looked away as if she didn't even notice the demon in the middle of the room.

Waffleman_ posted:

Nina Young

High Concept: Bewitching Hipster

Trouble: Out Of Touch. But Ironically.

Aspect: Jill of All Trades

Aspect: Licenseless Rider

Aspect: The Grimoire Obscurum

Approaches:

Careful: +2
Clever: +3
Flashy: +1
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +0

Stunts:

There's A Spell For That: Because Nina knows a lot of obscure spells, once per session, she can spend a Fate point find just the right spell to fix a tough situation.

Stress: OOO

Consequences:

Refresh: 3/3

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Backroom/Kitchen

As Nick shoves a cupcake in his mouth he feels a burning sensation on the back of his neck as Mary peeks back around the corner and glares at him. She marches back in and takes the remaining cupcake pan away with her, visibly seething as her hair briefly lights on fire. Dan finishes his fistful of red velvet off and looks down at Nick, a smug look on his face.

"What're you on about, rules say at least half an hour, no working. Ah whatever, ten minutes is enough anyways, I'll make that deal. Probably right next to about three of those shops here anyways with how much you kids go drinking. I'll just get on through here..."

Dan manages to get his other arm out through the break room door, sweeping one of the empty pans off the butcher's block countertop in the kitchen. He doesn't seem to care much about the noise as he continues trying to pull himself through the undersized gap in search of booze.

Nina, hiding behind her laptop to escape this disaster, realizes something about the ritual files she had pulled up. Katy, as nice of a girl as can be and the coven's librarian, had sent Nina an upside down scan of the astral map she'd asked for. Not only did the hole fall into the wrong place, it was nearly on the complete opposite end of hell. Whoops.

Cafe, Lobby

When Max finishes up his samples tray, Mary comes marching out from the kitchen with a cupcake pan in hand and an uncharacteristically sullen look on her face. She clatters the pan on the counter and mumbles 'more samples' before looking back around the corner to the kitchen.

With mistake cupcakes also in tow, Max brings the samples platter around towards the reporter, though the jiangshi girl snatches one of the cups as she passes by, as expected. Upon being delivered cocoa in the midst of frantic tweeting on her tablet, the reporter gives Max a half-there nod and mumbles something along the lines of 'yeah samples, totes'. Given the mints, business cards, and various fliers from nearby stores she has scattered around her it seems as if she has a sort of penchant for grabbing free stuff. She doesn't seem to be interested in drinking it, but she quickly accepts the cocoa and sets it precariously close to the edge of the table as she returns to jabbing at her tablet. One of the business cards seems to stand out in her collection, mostly because it has a picture of her smug mug on it and reads "Melissa Sureton, Voice of the Streets". It seems about as obnoxious and colorful as her attitude.

Max returns the samples to the counter after having the dullahan pass on them with her still uneaten sandwich on the table (she buys them often enough, but you've just never seen her have anything but a full or empty plate). Settling back behind the counter he notices the cup the jiangshi girl is holding, nearly empty. Turns out she snatched the pepper cup, but she hasn't really reacted to it. Another clatter erupts from back in the kitchen that attracts some head turning, Melissa included, but Mary simply gives Max a dour look and a sigh from the other side of the counter as she places cupcakes into the display.

Melissa ties, but you still get a boost that I'll name Free Samples. Anyone can invoke this once for free to mess with the reporter, but unlike a success it won't stick around.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 30, 2014

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

James is standing there gawping at the demon before him for a few moments, before the Templar training kicks in. All those years at the Academy weren't for naught. His body drops into a ready pose, even as his brain still statics out. As he watches the demon try to crawl into the portal, he manages to gasp out, "What in the hell is going on here!?" He stammers a bit, "I-I-I mean holy poo poo, you guys always bite off more than you than you can chew." He rises out of the stance, and starts trying to remember if he still has any Demon-B-Gone spray in the shop.

FewtureMD posted:

Name: James Worthington IV

High Concept: Old Money Artifact Archivist-

Trouble: Used-to-be-Rich Kid of Instagram-
Other Aspects:

Little Shop of Wonders:

Templar-in-Training:

Approaches:

Careful: +2
Clever: +3
Flashy: +1
Quick: +0
Sneaky: +2

Stunts
Lens of Truth: Since I own the Lens of Truth, I get a +2 to Cleverly examine areas for paranormal clues

Stress: [][][]

Consequences

Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

"What are you talking about, James? Nothing is wrong and nobody got anything wrong and everything's fine, hehehe!"

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick

"Hey, hey, hey!" Nick turns away from James and back to Dan, picking up the pan and pointing it at him for emphasis. "You're already in the break room; that's where the breaks happen. So just... stay in there. Mortals always seem to have cameras on them these days; you don't want your ugly mug all over the news, do you?"

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Max
FP 3

"Speaking of which-" Max interjects, "A 'Melissa Sureton,' reporter for "Voice of the Streets' is out front, taking advantage of our hospitality." As he speaks, Max glances back to the customers, evaluating. More pepper next time for the jiangshi? Perhaps. But that was something to deal with later. Bigger problems right now.

"I attempted to...deter her but no luck so far." He shrugs. "She's still here, with a table full of freebies from the whole street it looks like. And she's looking this way. But in better news, people seem to like the cupcakes. Is that a new recipe? Goes well with the cocoa, maybe I should order more just in case..."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Backroom/Kitchen

Dan looks behind him through the small gap left between his arm and the doorframe.

"Break room, psh, yeah. Thought puns were still outlawed this year, kid. I've got some booze to get and I'll be right back out before I die of your nagging, regardless of if you wanna take my deal or not."

With a grunt, Dan pops free of the break room and stumbles down the hallway, passing by the door out to lobby and fumbling out towards the trash room. From out in front of the counter Mary and the jiangshi girl stare at the spectacle and lean in to try to get a better look. The resounding crash and rubbernecking girls gets Melissa to start fumbling with her tablet's stand, trying to get it to collapse so she can go figure out what's happening while throwing out assumptions as to what it could be, from a stray dog or bird getting in to a car crashing through the wall. A few of the other customers are also trying to figure out what's going on and start gossiping among themselves about rumors they've heard about the cafe.

Dan doesn't seem particularly scared by Nick, mostly because he's about three times Nick's size and maybe suspects Nick's just an imp. The commotion he's making is attracting attention fast, but there's still time for some damage control given nobody who actually saw Dan is anybody to be worried about seeing a giant demon fall into a bag full of coffee filters. What do?

Active boosts include Free Samples in the Lobby zone.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 1, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Max
FP 3

"Excuse me-" Max reached past the crowd in the kitchen, sweeping the rest of the sample cupcakes onto his plate. Then with a quick about-face and a grin on his broad face, he was headed for the front door with a spring on his step, calling out to passerby (and to the reporter as well).

"Free samples! One of a kind cupcakes, not of this world!"

He'd figure out the next step later, once he got Ms. Sureton out of earshot of the kitchen. Just needed to buy some time for now.

Let's keep this rolling. Flashily Overcome Obstacle: 4dF+1 3, the obstacle in this case being a nosy reporter hanging around the cafe? Going to invoke Free Samples for a total of +5 I think?

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick

Nick rubs the back of his neck as he watches the mess unfold. "Well, I tried." He waved a hand in front of the witch's face before she went completely into denial. "Hey, Nina, could you do something to make our guest more, uh, comfortable?" Seeing the demon rummage through the trash, he adds, "Like turn him into a cat or something; that's a thing witches can do, right? Won't matter if anyone sees him then."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

Nina snaps out of her denial as Nick addresses her. "Huh? Oh! I could do something like that. But cats are way too mainstream. I have a spell that could turn him into a platypus, though!"

She stands up, making her way in front of Dan, pulling her wand out from her pocket. "This might sting a bit, Dan. Duckbill Beaverius!" With that incantation, she waves her wand in Dan's direction and prays the spell works.

Cleverly overcoming the obstacle of a big ol' demon.
Waffleman, --//+2 = 0
Ffff.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

James
"What."

James' jaw has hit the ground after hearing Nina mispronounce the final syllables of the spell. Ancient Sumerian has a tricky relationship with glottal stops. He dives behind the nearest overturned table to avoid the misfire.

8:35 PM <skybot> GhostOfXmasFewture: 1 (4df=+, -, 0, +), invoking Templar-in-Training to recognize how badly things can go with spells, and how quickly one needs to find cover, for a 3 overall.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Lobby

Max hefts up the tray of cupcakes Mary had been filing the case from and starts quelling the crowd with free overpriced cupcakes. Melissa is among them, managing to knock the cupcake she takes into her hot chocolate sample. She still seems distracted, but more by the steaming cocoa and cupcake icing all over her pants than the clattering in the kitchen, and everyone else in the lobby switches their attention to the same.

The yipes and shuffling around from the reporter easily cover up the scuffle in the back, which now includes a brief spark of magic lighting up the hallway and the sound of a faint but distorted meow. Nobody pays it much mind though, if they even noticed it.

Cafe, Supply Room/Trash Room

Everyone knows the incantation is one of the most important parts of casting magic, but then so is a clear mind, and Nick's suggestion hangs in the air for just long enough to ruin that. The polymorphing spell works, but when everyone looks down or peeks out from behind a newly formed wreck of paper bags they see something possibly more disturbing than a giant guardian of hell. What remains of Dan appears to be the front half of a black cat and the back half of a platypus, which suddenly emits a meow that rumbles the room just as much as Dan's voice did.

The newly formed chimera looks between the three standing around it before locking eyes with Nick. It crouches down for a moment and then launches itself at Nick's face, claws out and spurred back feet waggling around aimlessly.

Max takes Melissa out of the scene handily, I'll leave it up to ThreeStep to describe how he gets her out of the scene proper. I'm going to let Nina's spell get rid of the giant demon problem, but now you have a fairly small, very pissed chimera problem on your hands, or on Nick's face depending on how you want to look at it.

Fewture, I'm not entirely sure what you were going for with your roll, but if you were trying to Create and Advantage you'll have a standard success. Make sure you keep track of your fate points too since that's a standard invoke.

Nick, you've got a horrible cat-thing flying at your face, what do you do? (probably defend)

Nina, oh god what did you do. No really, what did you do? Feel free to tell us more about the polymorph.

Also Dan's old weakness of being huge doesn't work so much anymore :v:

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 6, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Max
FP 3

Max had been a survivor of four different Black Fridays in three years (long story). A mad rush for sugary baked goods didn't phase him. The golem weathered the rush, making sure to reserve some for the reporter, hoping to lure her from her seat and...?

The mess was unexpected but he could work with that. With a handy rag and a smile he was sopping up cocoa splatters and crumbs, making sure to stay between her and the kitchen still.

"Sorry about the mess. If you want to make sure the stains come out, there's a great dry cleaner down the block on Meyer Street. Tell them Max sent you there. Just, well-" and he lowered his voice just a little, "-don't stare too much at the haunted painting they have." Then with another grin and apology he was back to the counter.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick

Nick lets out a small yelp and holds out his arms in an attempt to catch the leaping Catypus (Platycat?) and hold it away from his face.

Holding off the Catypus (Forceful): 4dF+1 2 (I'm guessing this is against whatever Dan's attack roll would be)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

Nina makes a short squealing noise and immediately goes back to her laptop. "I didn't do nothing! I know nothing! I see nothing! Sorry, Nick!"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Lobby

Melissa looks more than a bit embarrassed at suddenly being the center of attention for all the wrong reasons. She gathers a few of her things back with her tablet, mumbles a thank you to Max and ducks out of the Helluva at a near-sprint, going down the wrong street three times before finally getting away from the cafe's view.

Cafe, Supply Room/Trash Room

Nick attempts to peel the platycat off of his face, but it has its claws hooked in deep and it's a bit difficult to be rough with something that's flinging around severely venomous spikes on its back legs. While the sight is kind of amusing, as Mary chimes in having come to find out what that magic she noticed was, the polymorphed demon probably doesn't intend to stop gouging at Nick's face any time soon. Nina notices that the fishing hole is still open in the break room since it was a bit hard to close it after Dan got stuck, and it should lead right back to where Dan came from.

Dan proceeds to wreck Nick's face with a 4 which means a result of 2, which you can take as either a stress box or a mild consequence. I think initiative is lame even when it isn't causing PbP problems so I'm going to just let people act as they will. Melissa's been horribly shamed and is out of the picture already, so you've only got the chimera to deal with. What do you all do?

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick
I'll take the Stress, so I'm now [][X][]

Nick has had enough. A gatekeeper is basically just a customs agent and he thinks he can scratch up Nick's face? He needs to be put in his place. Nick's eyes start to glow and flicker with the flames of Hell and horns sprout from his forehead as his whole face takes on a much less pleasant appearance.

"Now listen here," He says, staring into the platycat's admittedly adorable face, "This is extremely poor workplace behavior. You say you're going to tell someone about our meddling in supernatural affairs, yet you're the one who nearly let a whole cafe of mortals see you. Now, we can stuff you in a box and throw you back through the hole, or you can go through yourself. What is it going to be?" Nick flares the fire in his eyes for extra emphasis, hoping the surprise of meeting a demon superior will cow him into obedience.

Intimidating Dan (Flashy + Invoking Demon Lord): 4dF+5 4
2 FP left

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Supply/Trash Room

Once he's been peeled off Nick's face and held at arm's length, the Dan chimera is left with little more than to swat aimlessly at Nick's face in an attempt to re-attach to it. While he keeps this up through most of Nick's chiding, he seems to stop at some point around 'supernatural affairs'. He doesn't seem scared, angry, offput, or anything really. He just stares back at Nick with his dumb, wide-eyed cat stare. Mary takes the opportunity to walk over and pat it on the head, to which the chimera just tilts its head.

"Think you maybe overloaded his tiny little cat brain. I'd feel sorry for him he totally deserved it for all those cupcakes."

Mary stops herself short of actually clenching a fist, shrugs, and peeks back down the hallway to check on how the customers are doing.

Thinking back I probably should have just created an advantage to cling Dan to Nick's face instead of attacking so that I'd have a good reason to keep him stuck to your face, whoops! Learning! You pretty well wrecked Dan since I don't want to do something lame and say you can't do a thing, hopefully I did it in a pretty good way.

You've got a confused cat/platypus chimera that's actually a gatekeeper of hell who has a simple but important job guarding an entrance to hell that's been open for like, half an hour now. It doesn't seem entirely interested in mauling Nick's face anymore. What do you do with it?

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick

Yeah, I realized after I posted that it would have made more sense to have to get him off my face before pulling out the full stops, my bad. :ohdear: It turned out funny, though, so I'm fine with it.

Nick stood up, brushing himself off with one hand and holding the chimera by the back of the neck with the other, trying to retain as much dignity as one could given the situation. He shook his face a bit and it started to revert back to his usual hipster self. He felt a little weird as he realized that he thought of his human face as his "normal" one.

"Well then, I'd say his break his over." He looked at the portal and then back at the catypus, before asking Nina, "This, uh, isn't permanent, is it? A gatekeeper getting replaced with something even more terrifying might attract... further unwanted attention."

"And where did James go? Last I saw he dived behind a counter. Probably plotting something nefarious back there."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

"Well, it shouldn't be since I botched the spell. Also, the, uh....fishing hole is still open. We should probably close it."

Nina closes her laptop and walks over to the break room.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

James

James pops up from the downed table, mustering what little dignity he can. "I was not plotting anything 'nefarious', you paranoid megalomaniac," his fingers actually forming air quotes around 'nefarious' as he says it,"I just have enough sense to duck and cover when a spell misfires!" He then turns to the yowling ball of fur suspended from Nick's hand, "But I guess it did backfire adorably", he coos. "Can't we keep him like this? I could use a fluffy pet to give my shop that mysterious air the weekend antiquers crave so much. Plus, it's not a bad idea to keep a big strong demon in our proverbial back pocket" James reaches out and takes the catypus into his arms, ignoring the yowls of protest and keeping the back end away from his body. "Too cute! :3:"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cafe, Back Area

While the chimera still appears to be dazed, it reaches its paws up and latches its claws into James' face when he takes the beast out of Nick's hands. It doesn't seem to be out of demonic malice, this just seems to be a cat being a cat. While this is painful, the chimera is sluggish enough that it doesn't really do much more than this.

Nina walks back to check out the fishing hole, which seems to have spun slightly out of alignment just due to the passage of time, but it should be an easy enough adjustment to make. Nothing else seems to have jumped through either, though it's kind of hard to tell given the distractions.

Either are valid options, though Nina probably notices the polymorph isn't waning off like it normally would. Feel free to decide this devil chimera's fate and we'll ship off to the next scene.

Also, super sorry about how late this was. I've been extremely sick for the past few days and I'm still not feeling all that well, but I'm coherent enough to think of a post and type it up now at least! This posting gap won't be the norm from me, it's just unfortunate that your posts lined up with right when I started feeling like a garbage can. Apologies!

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Nick

"Don't be stu-- Hmm. That actually might not be such a bad idea. Given his reputation, it will probably be assumed he decided to stay here or got himself exorcised. Either way, nobody's really going to miss him." He watches the cat latch itself onto James' face. "And he seems to like you. Very well, let's get this hole closed so I can get back to my actual job before Max steals it from me."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Guess we're about ready to get to the next scene, I'll give people a day to do any last actions before wrapping it up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

"This should be easy enough to fix!" Nina moves the hole back into alignment and notices that the others have decided to keep the catypus.

"Happiness! The coven's gonna be so pleased!"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hi i can't really blame the holidays for this but i will anyways

Cafe, Break Room

Mostly removed from James' face, the platycat looks on as Nina re-aligns the fishing hole and closes it, effectively condemning Dan to Earth. You're not sure if the chimera is having an existential moment or just can't parse this with its cat brain, but it seems somehow disturbed. Oh well! The day ends with a new pet (?) for James and one of Hell's major hardpoints completely unguarded for however long it takes for someone to notice and reassign a guard. It'll probably only result in yet another flood of imps stomping through the streets. Probably. Everyone to be concerned about is none the wiser about any of this, and isn't that what really matters?

Consider this a minor milestone. Feel free to do what that entails as well as fill in a new stunt and your aspects if you've got good ideas for them now.

Also have a new aspect that totally won't ruin the world in some way, Open, The Gates of Hell.

December 21, 201X

While Lakeview's no stranger to snow, it's coastal enough to avoid most of the really bad stuff. So it's a little out of place when a completely unforcasted blizzard shuts down all traffic and leaves several feet of snow for anyone insane enough to trudge through it, with no sign of really letting up. As Nina browses around weather reports, it seems the blizzard is pretty precisely centered on Lakeview. Most signs point towards being innocent, but a few kids had been bugging members of the Coven volunteering around the city whether or not there'd be snow for Christmas. Hasn't been any activity pointing towards one of the sisters attempting to summon snow, though, given that usually ends up creating abominable snowmen and the like.

The cafe is entirely empty save for the gang and one girl Max recognizes, but that might just be because he's worked nearly every entry-level position in the city. Her odd hats make her recognizable, but when you're a minor lycanthrope it tends to be easier to live with people staring at your cartoon-inspired hat than try to explain away your actual wolf ears. She'd trudged through the snow specifically to get to the cafe, but it wasn't too much of a secret among the stranger kind in the city that this was a sort of gathering spot for them, even if she hasn't been by much at all according to Max's memory. Still, she probably didn't come out here just for the triple spice latte, no matter how much Nick insists it's just that good.

She introduces herself as Kasshu, saying she'd come because she'd been out in the morning when the blizzard hit. Similar to some area gossip Nina had seen around the internet, Kasshu describes the blizzard as having come at the blink of an eye, immediately storming down despite a clear sky the second before. Given the weather reports showing the blizzard in a pretty specific area, she concludes that it's probably associated with a cursed object or something similar, though she's not terribly sure why it would activate suddenly rather than follow its path the entire way. She seems pretty worried about it, but isn't sure if there's anything she can do to help out.

Nina, isn't it the solstice? The coming of winter is often associated with the holidays and snow among most people around here, but what else does the winter bring with it?

Max, Kasshu seems pretty disappointed, but she's probably got more than she's letting on even if she isn't meaning to hide anything. What can you do to help this customer find what they're looking for? (She did buy one of the expensive lattes, after all)

Nick, Hell tends to mirror Earth across the astral lens. If Lakeview's piled up with snow, what's been stopping you from getting a hold of your 'business associate' all morning long to figure out what your stocking prices should be looking like?

James, you're pretty sure something in the antique shop's worth something for stopping snow, even if it's maybe not so cut out for stopping a whole blizzard. What've you got?

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2015

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

"I'm not so sure about you guys, but I'm deffo over this blizzard!" James takes a moment to sip his chai latte, taking care not to get any on his scarf. "I think I have some sort of heat-emitting orb in the basement vault somewhere, and I think I can jury rig a long range snow shoveler of some sort." He grins at the group. "Who wants to go on an adventure?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nina

"Well, it wasn't me! Summoning a blizzard of this size is beyond my ability! It must have been one of the coven mothers giving the kids a white Christmas."

Speaking of the coven, she probably should be with them right now. The solstice was an important time for witches. It signified death and rebirth, being the shortest day and the longest night. The entire coven should be gathered for a ritual to bless the town for the upcoming year.

But those are so boring and mainstream so she never went to them. Always said she got stuck in the snow.

If the snow's such a problem, maybe you should just stay here overnight!

She could hear Mother Maggie nagging her already.

"Hey, uh, guys. You see any of the coven around, I was never here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
And Lakeview succumbs to the storm of the century, making everyone's lives terribly inconvenient for a couple days.

I totally don't have the heart or plans to keep this going, so instead of having it just hang here let's just call it dead. Sorry if this is a bummer! Maybe I'll try something similar again in the future, I liked the setting but I just didn't prepare for it very well.

• Locked thread