Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He must have been all like "Wtf? That poo poo cray!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

never thought about that op, lol good point!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oh my god look at this incredible treasure trove of 3000 year old mold spores that im breathing in. oh, oh... gently caress poo poo im gunna die of mysterious tumors in a year

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
probably freaked out man

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

oh my god look at this incredible treasure trove of 3000 year old mold spores that im breathing in. oh, oh... gently caress poo poo im gunna die of mysterious tumors in a year

And then they blamed it on a curse lol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
they used to grind up mummies and put the powder in drinks and stuff to cure poo poo.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they used to grind up mummies and put the powder in drinks and stuff to cure poo poo.

Also used that poo poo for kindling. Enjoy your afterlife of being used to cook a hotdog, shithead.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*spills a bunch of cocaine & tobacco all over the loving place* aw dang, hope this doesnt make people think these dudes had contact with central america

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mummies also got used to make brown paint

yeah u kno what this dirt im painting could use??? some fukken ancient relics smashed up into it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I bet he was all "sweet, check out the ancient sex doll" and unzipped his pants

hth

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Excelzior posted:

I bet he was all "sweet, check out the ancient sex doll" and unzipped his pants

hth

herodotus claims that priests let the corpses ripen for a few days to prevent the embalmers from doing exactly that

mind u its herodotus saying this

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

herodotus claims that priests let the corpses ripen for a few days to prevent the embalmers from doing exactly that

mind u its herodotus saying this

times were different back then, when the Pharaoh took your wife as his sex slave you made do with what you had

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
herodotus is like the fat guy in shaun of the dead who tells everyone that dogs cant look up, because he heard it from this other guy and surely he wouldnt lie

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

herodotus is like the fat guy in shaun of the dead who tells everyone that dogs cant look up, because he heard it from this other guy and surely he wouldnt lie

so he owns is what you are trying to say

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
whoa im scared STIFF (pops a woody)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Mad Archivist posted:

so he owns is what you are trying to say

unironically

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

you irl posted:

whoa im scared STIFF (pops a woody)

Would this count as an Oedipus Complex?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
most egyptian tombs got robbed before the paint was dry so he was probably thinking "bet ol' thutmose wishes he'd paid me in something other than beer now"

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Volume posted:

Would this count as an Oedipus Complex?

LOL I get it.

This guy. This guy right here.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Oppa gangnam style.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Well they didn't have English back then so he probably didn't think anything. Probably just did the food grunt at his wives and children.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the first mummy was discovered by english people in the early 1900's

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
nah the peasants in the region had been grinding them up as fertilizer and kindling for thousands of years

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
egypt used to use mummies as fuel for steam trains

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
wow hating on herodotus real classy guys

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Can you imagine OP? Can you actually imagine it?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

Can you imagine OP? Can you actually imagine it?

I can't, that's why I need GBS's help

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Volume posted:

I thought the first mummy was discovered by english people in the early 1900's

Every time a new dynasty came to power they would break into old tombs, steal all the masonry they could use in their own tombs, and throw the mummies into a cache in a cheap temple.

So the first dude who dug up a mummy probably talked with the mummified dude about his chest pains like a week before.

Also the mummies used as fertilizers and paint were animals, not people - because late Egyptian religion receded to worship of animal idols, and many temples and monasteries bred falcons and other religiously significant creatures just to have them mummified and sold to pilgrims by the thousand. So in a way they were no more valuable than postcards.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I just thought about this one, how loving crazy was the first person to ever ride a horse

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Ancient peoples were chucked into bogs all the time. So the first person was probably dredging the sacrifice swamp searching for 'good bones' found a preserved corpse and thought the fairies were back and coming to steal his fattest virgin.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

John Denver Hoxha posted:

I just thought about this one, how loving crazy was the first person to ever ride a horse

or the first weird motherfucker to eat an egg or drink cow's milk

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

those discoveries probably came by watching animals tho, it's not like udders were sitting there completely unused for thousands of years before a human started yanking on them

riding a horse now that's just hosed up!!!

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

you irl posted:

riding a horse now that's just hosed up!!!

Those Kazakhs are just plain crazy folks.
At least it wasn't the chinese.
They'd have just done it weird.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

mamma mia!

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

holy poo poo...i never considered the herodotus factor before, in regards to mummies

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

"man, abbot and costello are gonna have a field day with this"

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
The dude probably thought that it was a blunt and tried to smoke it!???????????

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
This is a very Eurocentric thread, OP. Hopefully you'll give more thought to other peoples' perspectives before starting another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A misanthrope posted:

• Locked thread