Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Carbon dioxide posted:

How would you compare the swimming in this game to the other best swimming in any 3D game ever, Zora mode in Majora's mask?

The Zora swimming in MM is great for fun, but not so great for practicality. TY manages to nail both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The thing with Zora Link/Mikau is he's fast but not easy to actually control while he's swimming so it's not hard to accidentally slam your face into walls/obstacles as him. Generally unless you have a large expanse from point A to point B, you're better off just walking underwater.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The thing with Zora Link/Mikau is he's fast but not easy to actually control while he's swimming so it's not hard to accidentally slam your face into walls/obstacles as him. Generally unless you have a large expanse from point A to point B, you're better off just walking underwater.

Yes, this. They much improved the swimming in the 3DS remake, however.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I was vaguely annoyed that you referred to the leafy sea dragon as a 'her' when it's a Well Known FactTM that male seahorses look after their young, but when she talked again at the end of the sidequest it turns out it was a she and Krome made a basic biological error. :argh:

Enjoying this LP quite a bit, by the way.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

They much improved the swimming in the 3DS remake, however.

How so?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ungulateman posted:

I was vaguely annoyed that you referred to the leafy sea dragon as a 'her' when it's a Well Known FactTM that male seahorses look after their young, but when she talked again at the end of the sidequest it turns out it was a she and Krome made a basic biological error. :argh:

Maybe she adopted.

Generally just making movement easier. Also you can bob out of the water like Ecco the Dolphin.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ungulateman posted:

Technically male seahorses only look after the eggs, the young are completely independent after hatching like most other fish species. :science:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Generally just making movement easier. Also you can bob out of the water like Ecco the Dolphin.

That's was possible in the original.

What's new in MM HD that normally Zora Link swims like human Link, but slightly faster. Slower than the original Zora Link way, though. But because of that you don't slam your head into walls that often.

You go at the original Zora Link speed while using that electric shield thingie. But that uses magic, so you either need to use a bottle of Chateau Romani or you'll run out of that ability quite fast.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this episode, we explore the miracle of science with happy blasto energy. And also fight a giant pig or something.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bull's actually a feral pig, his name is likely in light of the fact that he charges around like a bull.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 3, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Bull's actually a feral pig, his name is likely in light of the fact that he charges around like a bull.

That makes a lot more sense, especially given the naming conventions for the rest of the boss stages. Oops.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I remember Bull kicking my rear end several times as a kid, because I was far too used to bosses that were easier to get around.

The elemental rangs are also an interesting thing, and I'd say a really good way to try and gate off story progression until you've done more collecting. Firstly is that the 'gates' are relatively simple, rather than say, self-contained tutorials, because how you use them is fairly obvious - and if not, it certainly can't be too hard to come across a new obstacle and think 'maybe I should try my new weapon on it'. Second though, is that for people who've not been as good as experienced players at finding the golden cogs, they ensure that your arsenal does expand and you get more powerful as the game progresses, rather than being stuck with the regular boomerangs for the rest of the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Astro Nut posted:

I remember Bull kicking my rear end several times as a kid, because I was far too used to bosses that were easier to get around.

The elemental rangs are also an interesting thing, and I'd say a really good way to try and gate off story progression until you've done more collecting. Firstly is that the 'gates' are relatively simple, rather than say, self-contained tutorials, because how you use them is fairly obvious - and if not, it certainly can't be too hard to come across a new obstacle and think 'maybe I should try my new weapon on it'. Second though, is that for people who've not been as good as experienced players at finding the golden cogs, they ensure that your arsenal does expand and you get more powerful as the game progresses, rather than being stuck with the regular boomerangs for the rest of the game.

I agree. The Techno Rangs are more for, well, technical players, and the elemental rangs are more traditional upgrades.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I only remember a handful of the Techno Rangs specifically because I focused on Thunder Eggs and only really grabbed Golden Cogs that were immediately noticeable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's was possible in the original.

What's new in MM HD that normally Zora Link swims like human Link, but slightly faster. Slower than the original Zora Link way, though. But because of that you don't slam your head into walls that often.

You go at the original Zora Link speed while using that electric shield thingie. But that uses magic, so you either need to use a bottle of Chateau Romani or you'll run out of that ability quite fast.

They also gave him a tighter turning circle; the major issue with Zora Link swimming was the fairly limited turning circle which required you to drive Zora Link kind of like an underwater car if you wanted to not run into poo poo, in the remake his turning circle is noticeably smaller which makes maneuvering at speed much easier.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if there's going to be an underwater boss fight at some point. The water controls seem up to handling it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Have a post ensuring you that the LP is not dead, and I am in fact just a very disorganized and lethargic individual.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Krome Studios wears their design on their sleeve in this level.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Dennis is probably the closest thing this game has to the collect-a-thon convention of having to convince characters to give up their collectibles, mostly do to him being a supposed cheapskate as Maurie admitted before correcting himself. Yet even then we technically never ask for Thunder Eggs or any kind of reward in exchange for favors, he simply gives them to us out of gratitude.

Also since you mentioned the Ice-element Opals, I should mention that the red Opals/Thunder Eggs in the Bli Bli Station levels were Fire-element which was why we got the Flamerangs after beating Bull.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Dennis is probably the closest thing this game has to the collect-a-thon convention of having to convince characters to give up their collectibles, mostly do to him being a supposed cheapskate as Maurie admitted before correcting himself. Yet even then we technically never ask for Thunder Eggs or any kind of reward in exchange for favors, he simply gives them to us out of gratitude.

Also since you mentioned the Ice-element Opals, I should mention that the red Opals/Thunder Eggs in the Bli Bli Station levels were Fire-element which was why we got the Flamerangs after beating Bull.

Dennis is almost exactly the same as every other character in the game, when you get down to it, since we received thunder eggs from doing him favors, and he seems to give them to us out of his own generosity. (Though he makes a point to remind us that he is being oh-so generous.)

He also makes wonderful faces.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dennis is almost exactly the same as every other character in the game, when you get down to it, since we received thunder eggs from doing him favors, and he seems to give them to us out of his own generosity. (Though he makes a point to remind us that he is being oh-so generous.)

Which is why he's a subversion of the convention since Ty treats him no differently than he treats his friends and does what Dennis asks without asking for anything in return.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
It's back, holy crap! Was worried the LP was dead but it's good to see that isn't the case. I still have this game somewhere for the gamecube, and I remember it being fun, up until it got frustratingly hard after I beat it and wanted to collect everything. I gave up around the point where I was going back to grab the invisible boxes and getting the cogs n' such I missed in the process.

On the topic of the swimming from the Ship Rex video (which I just finished), I will agree that this game has some of the best 3D platformer swimming controls of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era, as far as Majora's mask goes, for the PS1/N64 era, the winner in that regard clearly goes to Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
On a small pop cultural note, Neddy here is likely a reference to Ned Kelly, an infamous (and highly divisive) outlaw who is remembered in no small part because he and his gang decked themselves out in their own self-made plate armour. It was, however, extremely front loaded, which worked for a while since the Australian police were trained mostly to deal with civilians and barely armed aboriginals, not goddamn medieval warfare (and in fact, plate armour got popular partly because of its resistance to bullets over say, chainmail).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

It's back, holy crap! Was worried the LP was dead but it's good to see that isn't the case. I still have this game somewhere for the gamecube, and I remember it being fun, up until it got frustratingly hard after I beat it and wanted to collect everything. I gave up around the point where I was going back to grab the invisible boxes and getting the cogs n' such I missed in the process.

On the topic of the swimming from the Ship Rex video (which I just finished), I will agree that this game has some of the best 3D platformer swimming controls of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era, as far as Majora's mask goes, for the PS1/N64 era, the winner in that regard clearly goes to Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. :colbert:

I don't remember much about Spyro 2, but I do remember that he swam well and there was a level where the enemies had flotation rings.

Astro Nut posted:

On a small pop cultural note, Neddy here is likely a reference to Ned Kelly, an infamous (and highly divisive) outlaw who is remembered in no small part because he and his gang decked themselves out in their own self-made plate armour. It was, however, extremely front loaded, which worked for a while since the Australian police were trained mostly to deal with civilians and barely armed aboriginals, not goddamn medieval warfare (and in fact, plate armour got popular partly because of its resistance to bullets over say, chainmail).

That's pretty insane and I feel like a more learned person for reading that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

I don't remember much about Spyro 2, but I do remember that he swam well and there was a level where the enemies had flotation rings.

The level you're thinking of is Sunny Beach, one of my favorite levels in Ripto's Rage aesthetically. Admittedly though, I liked a lot of levels in Ripto's Rage and in fact it was my favorite game of the original trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Year of the Dragon both for what it tried to do gameplay-wise with the four additional playable characters (though I wasn't fond of Agent 9's level/segments since I was never really into Shooters) and for the brilliant marketing move of releasing it during the actual year of the Dragon. It's just that Ripto's Rage really fixed many of issues I had with the first Spyro the Dragon game, namely the gliding mechanics (though this did create an exploit that YotD thankfully fixed) as well as how power-ups like Superflame which got considerably better thanks to the introduction of spitting in Ripto's Rage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The level you're thinking of is Sunny Beach, one of my favorite levels in Ripto's Rage aesthetically. Admittedly though, I liked a lot of levels in Ripto's Rage and in fact it was my favorite game of the original trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Year of the Dragon both for what it tried to do gameplay-wise with the four additional playable characters (though I wasn't fond of Agent 9's level/segments since I was never really into Shooters) and for the brilliant marketing move of releasing it during the actual year of the Dragon. It's just that Ripto's Rage really fixed many of issues I had with the first Spyro the Dragon game, namely the gliding mechanics (though this did create an exploit that YotD thankfully fixed) as well as how power-ups like Superflame which got considerably better thanks to the introduction of spitting in Ripto's Rage.

So how do you feel about Enter The Dragonfly?

Also, what exploit?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

So how do you feel about Enter The Dragonfly?

I like the idea but it definitely should not have been released until it was actually ready to be released as it was painfully clear how incomplete it was.

quote:

Also, what exploit?

Just A Friend made a Let's Play & Break showing off the glitches, the big one being the ability to use a combination of jump, charge, and glide (with hover if necessary) to basically sequence break in certain levels. He did one for Year of the Dragon as well though as mentioned before, Insomniac fixed the aforementioned jump-charge-glide exploit.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I like the idea but it definitely should not have been released until it was actually ready to be released as it was painfully clear how incomplete it was.

Just A Friend made a Let's Play & Break showing off the glitches, the big one being the ability to use a combination of jump, charge, and glide (with hover if necessary) to basically sequence break in certain levels. He did one for Year of the Dragon as well though as mentioned before, Insomniac fixed the aforementioned jump-charge-glide exploit.

I can't get over the final image the player is treated with, directly from the two (now-dead, as the game was an utter failure) developers, forced to release a game before its time:

Will be watching that LP.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 30, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's pretty insane and I feel like a more learned person for reading that.

'k'n'oath!

loving oath, mate! (A strong, empathic affirmative)

An Aussie also told me to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb6f367ZIag

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 30, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

'k'n'oath!

loving oath, mate! (A strong, empathic affirmative)

An Aussie also told me to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb6f367ZIag

I had thought that maybe the song would have a bit of self-awareness or meta humor, but no, it was played completely straight.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

I had thought that maybe the song would have a bit of self-awareness or meta humor, but no, it was played completely straight.

'k'n Aussies, mate. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just thought I'd mention, "the black stump" is not just a thing in this game. "Beyond the black stump" means "out in the middle of nowhere" (although there is no actual black stump - or at least no specific one).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Just thought I'd mention, "the black stump" is not just a thing in this game. "Beyond the black stump" means "out in the middle of nowhere" (although there is no actual black stump - or at least no specific one).

I had actually thought so myself, but didn't look it up. Goddamn, I need to start searching the meaning behind every sentence.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

I can't get over the final image the player is treated with, directly from the two (now-dead, as the game was an utter failure) developers, forced to release a game before its time:

While JustAFriend was doing Year of the Dragon, they also did something called "Bad Spyro Theater" where they play a few levels from some of the bad spyro games, I think Enter the Dragonfly has like three parts and it's pretty horrifying to see the jump in quality between Ripto's Rage + YotD to Enter the Dragonfly.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

While JustAFriend was doing Year of the Dragon, they also did something called "Bad Spyro Theater" where they play a few levels from some of the bad spyro games, I think Enter the Dragonfly has like three parts and it's pretty horrifying to see the jump in quality between Ripto's Rage + YotD to Enter the Dragonfly.

I feel as though Enter the Dragonfly would've been a really solid game with more time. The music/level themes, for example, were pure Spyro. The level design though, was... non-existent.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

I feel as though Enter the Dragonfly would've been a really solid game with more time. The music/level themes, for example, were pure Spyro. The level design though, was... non-existent.

Pretty much, it really suffered from the rushed release schedule. It should serve as an example that delaying a game's release isn't necessarily a bad thing.

They're good LPs and I'd highly recommend them whenever you have the time. Also, I didn't remember until after my previous post but two additional improvements were how lives were handled and how saving was handled.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Pretty much, it really suffered from the rushed release schedule. It should serve as an example that delaying a game's release isn't necessarily a bad thing.

They're good LPs and I'd highly recommend them whenever you have the time. Also, I didn't remember until after my previous post but two additional improvements were how lives were handled and how saving was handled.

I feel that many things would serve as an example that delaying a game's release is not a bad thing, such as 3DO's entire gameography.

How were lives and saving different?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Yeah, all in all, they had some aspects of the game down, but didn't have the time to finish it, which is a shame, because it could have been a decent game. The main problem is, they have a completely different... feel to the game, if that makes sense. The opening cutscenes and whatnot seem like some saturday morning cartoon crap with poorly rendered 3D models, and the tone of things doesn't really fit with the rest of the spyro games. It also would have helped if the game actually ran correctly on the PS2, if I remember correctly, the PS2 version had MASSIVE stability issues, and there were huge spikes in framerate, where things would run smoothly for like ten seconds and then drop to like 12-15 FPS for no discernible reason on the overworld. I honestly think it would have been better to just let Spyro be one of the best 3D platformers on the PS1 and not try to make more games. But hey, Skylanders! :smith:

Saving turned to an autosave format after you enter and exit every level, lives were made much easier to get and game overs were basically a non-issue outside of a few sections, but even then it just restarts you at the beginning of the level you're in, can't remember if it saves the progress you've made in the level, but I'm pretty sure it does.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 30, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Yeah, all in all, they had some aspects of the game down, but didn't have the time to finish it, which is a shame, because it could have been a decent game. The main problem is, they have a completely different... feel to the game, if that makes sense. The opening cutscenes and whatnot seem like some saturday morning cartoon crap with poorly rendered 3D models, and the tone of things doesn't really fit with the rest of the spyro games. It also would have helped if the game actually ran correctly on the PS2, if I remember correctly, the PS2 version had MASSIVE stability issues, and there were huge spikes in framerate, where things would run smoothly for like ten seconds and then drop to like 12-15 FPS for no discernible reason on the overworld. I honestly think it would have been better to just let Spyro be one of the best 3D platformers on the PS1 and not try to make more games. But hey, Skylanders! :smith:

Saving turned to an autosave format after you enter and exit every level, lives were made much easier to get and game overs were basically a non-issue outside of a few sections, but even then it just restarts you at the beginning of the level you're in, can't remember if it saves the progress you've made in the level, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I think those framerate issues were more common in the Gamecube version.

I actually do think Skylanders is fun, as well as Disney Infinity, while we're at it, but the fact that both contain areas with literal paywalls that only contain trailers for other figures is a bit of a low blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

How were lives and saving different?

In the first Spyro game, you got lives by either finding chests containing statues or killing previously killed enemies to get enough orb things to give an extra life. Ripto's Rage changed that to feeding Sparx a blue butterfly which you'd get every ten fodder you killed which was easier since fodder are basically everywhere and respawn quickly.

For saving, you had to use a pedestal which also acted as a checkpoint in the first Spyro and level transitions didn't auto-save so you could easily forget to save and lose your progress. In Ripto's Rage, the pedestals were replaced by Zoe who'd automatically save your progress while acting as a checkpoint and the game auto-saved during level transitions.

These changes along with the previously mentioned ones were kept in Year of the Dragon as well as Enter the Dragonfly though as mentioned before, the exploit Just A Friend used for sequence breaking was removed.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread