Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spamming Jaunt between Turn() usage is, in my experience, a really viable strategy in at least the first playthrough.

Especially when your Jaunt has charm effects on anyone you Jaunt through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Spamming Jaunt between Turn() usage is, in my experience, a really viable strategy in at least the first playthrough.

Yeah, this was pretty much my entire strategy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, right, yeah, I completely forgot. Jaunt is always useable outside of Turn(), complete with upgrades. Very handy. Jaunt is also quite useful within Turn() since it lets you get around a bit more efficiently than just running (plus also maybe being an attack).

Options upon options upon options.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i definitely agree. it shows that she isn't exactly trained in things like that and even if anyone was i doubt they'd be able to swing it around like crazy. supergiant is pretty good at putting in little touches like that, and it helps the overall presentation.

Can't see the video at work, so I don't know if this has been shown: at the press of a button, the sword shoots up 2 meters into the air. Red jumps after it, grabs it and brings it down, doing a little pirouette and landing with a graceful twirl. Red could be wielding that poo poo like Guts.

It's a very nice animation, but also grating as hell as two seconds before Red was dragging the sword as if it weighted a ton. On the other hand, it's there just to be adorable, as far as I know :3:

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Bought it, reviewed it, basically, I wish there were more enemies and opportunities to really fight. It needs the dream stages from Bastion. It can also be really monotonous in a fight-save-move to next fight kinda manner.

You're also hit with a ton of exposition and backstory very early on. It dumps so much at you, and the only voice you get is that of the Transistor. I feel that's a problem with those Supergiant game settings: it's all huge and there's so much to take in but it's always filtered through a single narrator/character. I can't immerse in a one person universe.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I really wanted to love this game like i did with Bastion but i just couldn't get into the controls at all. Bastion felt pretty simple for the most part but Transistor felt awkward to me, not necessarily complicated just awkward. I will admit that the soundtrack is worth it just like Bastion though and it's probably the best part of the game for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did you try the alternate controls that make it more like Diablo? (Pushing a button uses an ability instead of switching to it.) I thought that was a huge improvement over the default controls.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 1, 2014

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Late night update!

Originally this was meant to be twice as long, but I figured I'd keep the videos short and sweet to keep the pace going quickly.

Proper Subject data will be uploaded later today (or tomorrow, if need be) in the OP. I've been spending time making sure the biographies and mugshots look good.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
So would now be a good time to suggest combos?

Spark() with Breach() makes for a quick, long range spread shot. Poor damage in Turn(), but great against Weeds and Bad Cells. You can strike from far enough that you can seriously hold back on the Turn().
Breach() with Mask() seems better than Crash() with Mask(). Backstab acts as a damage multiplier, so the greater the base damage, the better. Crash() also makes the enemy jump, so chaining Crashes can induce a mistake in Turn() planification.

What does OVC stand for anyhow?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wait, the new functions we get access to are the digital souls of murdered people? Bleak.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This game has Dark Souls ghosts? I don't remember ever seeing one. :psyduck:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Ghostwoods posted:

Wait, the new functions we get access to are the digital souls of murdered people? Bleak.

Yes.

Another interesting thing which I'd like to point out is that the Process you encounter are just called Process until the Transistor names them. Weeds were identified only as Process until the Transistor said, "Springing up like Weeds." Then, they became known as Weeds. This is true for every Process in the game.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I been wanting to play this game and almost bought it the last time it was on the Steam sale but I didn't had the money to spent on games on the time, so far it looks nice.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jenner posted:

... the Process you encounter are just called Process until the Transistor names them. Weeds were identified only as Process until the Transistor said, "Springing up like Weeds." Then, they became known as Weeds. This is true for every Process in the game.

Huh. I had that totally arse-backwards, then. Nice touch!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This quote from a review pretty much sums up my view of the game:

quote:

...it's hard to fault passion like this, even when it blinds creators to the flaws of their work...

I love the passion and the aesthetic of everything in this game but there are some painful things about the design of some of its elements. I really should finish this on my own someday, maybe without all the difficulty modifiers I keep adding.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I love the passion and the aesthetic of everything in this game but there are some painful things about the design of some of its elements. I really should finish this on my own someday, maybe without all the difficulty modifiers I keep adding.

Yeah, don't use any of the limiters that buff the enemies (and especially their cells) until you have a solid build.
I agree with that review, at some points I think the developers forgot about the game part of their video game.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Finally got the temporary biographies finished, and they're sitting happy on the OP. Other subject "mugshots" (and the Process's) are also done in preparation for when we get them.

EDIT: Click on the mugshots for a link to the biographies if you missed it on the videos.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 3, 2014

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I don't know if I'd enjoy playing this but man I am enjoying watching it at the very least. The art in this game is drat amazing.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Another update!

:question: Post-video thread vote: What shall we name our new best buddy, the battle dog?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dog's name should be Felix.

That, or Diggity.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 4, 2014

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I think it's only fair to call the dog Sybil, given that we got the function from her.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Let's keep it within the theme, shall we? Call him Philco.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Call him Woofles, the gentleman hound.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Olive Branch posted:

What shall we name our new best buddy, the battle dog?

Yeah, "the battle dog" sounds just fine. :downs:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Megabite?
Depugger?
See Sharp?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dinictus posted:

I think it's only fair to call the dog Sybil, given that we got the function from her.
This.

Also it's probably just me but several of the concepts revolving around digital transmutations of the mind remind me of The Quantum Thief.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd call it Terra, to go with our other dog.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Dinictus posted:

Yeah, I like this as well. It feels almost sweet, in a tragic way.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Sillyman posted:

Yeah, "the battle dog" sounds just fine. :downs:

Agreed, Battle Dog is a fine name.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah, I like this as well. It feels almost sweet, in a tragic way.

Thirding this. Sybil, please.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Dog Shaped Robot Buddy if room permits

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

The Protagonist posted:

if room permits

I don't quite remember, but I feel like we don't actually name the dog, so presumably the 'room' is entirely up to the LP-er - you could make the name take several lines and it'd be entirely reliant on the LP-er feeling like using such a ridiculous name without vetoing it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Name him Zulf.

Or if you like puns, Ruffs.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ My vote is definitely for Ruffs

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Or if you like puns, Ruffs.

:golfclap:

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I'm a fan of Sybil myself.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

aerion111 posted:

I don't quite remember, but I feel like we don't actually name the dog, so presumably the 'room' is entirely up to the LP-er - you could make the name take several lines and it'd be entirely reliant on the LP-er feeling like using such a ridiculous name without vetoing it.
Yes, this. The game never gives the Help() dog a name, so this is really more for subtitle referencing.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I'd call it Terra

Seconding this option, It's a good name for such a solid little buddy!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Olive Branch posted:

Another update!

:question: Post-video thread vote: What shall we name our new best buddy, the battle dog?

Hey OP! You missed a comment from the Transistor in the Corruption in the far left side of the Empty Set. You can inspect near the white pillars. You should chat that up and edit it in.

Here is a link to Transistor's Original Soundtrack.
Here is a link to Transistor's EXTENDED soundtrack.

I recommend you all listen to and purchase these. They are very good.
:siren:Warning some of the songs and song names might be spoilers.:siren:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Voting Sybil. Hopefully this post is low enough not to be a spoiler.

• Locked thread