Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder if there's going to be a self-crippling ability named Goto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Yay you finally got Luna. So I've never heard the Transistor say "Get'm Luna!" like you claim to the Help() function. Only in the sandbox when she goes after the beach ball. It does say "Get'm girl!" though, so maybe it's the same Process? The Transistor naming the den resident Luna and Luna's name changing from Process to Luna right there in front of the player was the first time I noticed it did that every time. (IE: Process is Process until the Transistor names it.)

So it's cool that he does it! I must have skipped that. I didn't use Help() much.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 11, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, that's an interesting little something. Red's "get out of Traverson" comment is I think the first one she's just tossed out there without retyping.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Glazius posted:

Oh, that's an interesting little something. Red's "get out of Traverson" comment is I think the first one she's just tossed out there without retyping.

Yeah, I thought so too. I guess that it's a case where the first reaction is actually one appropriate to the situation from all angles: "hey, there's this disaster, everyone should get the gently caress out of Traverson!"

Also, I can't believe I managed to miss an update posted on, what, the 9th? Hope you've had a good holiday, Olive Branch. Look forward to seeing you in January!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The holiday's been great so far. I love government-mandated time off. :cool:

The next episode should go up sometime on January 5 or 6, as I had recorded raw footage for two episodes before traveling. All that's needed is to subtitle and process the video.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

We're back.

I'll update the OP with new biographies of subjects this week, as well as give you the "B-side" of Highrise.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh oh, that thing was awfully big :ohdear:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I really do like the names of the enemies in the games by this comapny - they're so... intuitive, but not simplistic.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Poor man in sword, must be horrible to be stuck in there, not sure if Red can even hear him. :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Poor man in sword, must be horrible to be stuck in there, not sure if Red can even hear him. :(

Red can clearly hear him. Don't you see her hugging the sword when she hums? :3:

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
I enjoyed the little extra detail that she put his old coat on the sword when they went to her apartment - pure :3:

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Red can clearly hear him. Don't you see her hugging the sword when she hums? :3:

Yeah but he doesn't know that, I don't think. He talks and Red hears but he has no confirmation. :(

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Double Plus Undead posted:

Yeah but he doesn't know that, I don't think. He talks and Red hears but he has no confirmation. :(

He does know. Minor spoilers At an upcoming terminal (should be in the next video, I think) Red uses the input field to have a conversation with him

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So what does OVC stand for?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Here's the next episode! All Subject data currently available to us in-game has been fully decrypted in the OP for your perusal.

omeg posted:

So what does OVC stand for?
I honestly don't know, and I don't think the game ever says what it is. Online Voting Computer, maybe?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Something something Cloudbank, I'd have thought.

That Clucker 2.0 trail for some reason really creeps me out. Like... the flesh-bulb from Don't Starve.

Ashalia.Lufiende
Sep 9, 2011
The way he sounded when he said "wooooo..." after that battle was just...sad and pathetic. :(

Tangent; I think Red didn't actually lose her voice. She probably still has it (which explains the humming, grunts, etc), but I think she lost her ability to speak. Linguistic. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Transistor is making me feel feelings. :( I hope he gets better soon. This is too sad.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ashalia.Lufiende posted:

The way he sounded when he said "wooooo..." after that battle was just...sad and pathetic. :(

Tangent; I think Red didn't actually lose her voice. She probably still has it (which explains the humming, grunts, etc), but I think she lost her ability to speak. Linguistic. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Well I would explain it differently; She's lost her voice but not her ability to vocalise.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That seems to be part of the idea behind the Transistor, and the functions thereof. They boil down people to their most defining trait which they then put into the system to 'benefit' everyone. Switch() is from Farrah Yon-Dale, who was a sky painter. Mask() is from an escape artist. Help() is from Sybil who probably genuinely believes that she was helping people.

Red's was apparently an unwitting instigator and provocateur. As her singing caused the first riot in years. Somehow the Camarata wanted to utilize that in some way and they extracted her ability into Crash(). And somehow since the Transistor and the Process are able to reduce everyone to data, that's more of a literal CAN_SPEAK=NULL while leaving everything else intact.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fedule posted:

I want to talk about the Sybil fight.

As I have previously stated, I consider Transistor to be a pretty great game. This judgement is, however, somewhat of a disappointment compared with what I thought about the game immediately after the Sybil fight. After the two already pretty great vocal themes we've already heard, we now have a boss fight set to this haunting, slightly offputting, antagonistic yet also somewhat tragic song about the person you're fighting, and as the Process takes its toll on her it becomes more and more distorted. It's the musical concept from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance bought around into a classier setting, an application that's affecting instead of just sort of really cool. The fight itself isn't really anything special mechanics wise but it's still rather impressive how much narrative they managed to cram into it considering how little lead-in we get to Sybil as a character.

I really hoped the rest of the game's big fights would do that too, what with Red being a singer and all. Alas.

When I reached the Sybil fight my expectations went through the roof "Yeah METAL GEAR BOSS SQUAD". Music wise there's another song that demands comparison MGS but that won't be for some time.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I have the next two episodes of the LP currently processing. I've also given the video list in the OP a small makeover as the plan for short, digestible videos isn't quite going to fit the entire game in only 14 or so episodes. This week's update will be a two-for-one because the first half of the playing session was all Sandbox Tests and I know some of you may be more interested in the exploration and story rather than brute fighting.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Much appreciated! I enjoyed the sandbox modes for being little things much like the dreams in Bastion, but I'm very curious about people's reaction to the story, especially as we move into more of the meat of it in future updates.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

I have the next two episodes of the LP currently processing. I've also given the video list in the OP a small makeover as the plan for short, digestible videos isn't quite going to fit the entire game in only 14 or so episodes. This week's update will be a two-for-one because the first half of the playing session was all Sandbox Tests and I know some of you may be more interested in the exploration and story rather than brute fighting.
Looks like you have some broken tags? (You might have already noticed them, but just in case!)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

blankd posted:

Looks like you have some broken tags? (You might have already noticed them, but just in case!)
They're broken on purpose for now, mostly so when the videos are uploaded on YouTube and linked via Polsy I can slap on the URLs and call it a day.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
A couple of small things I've noticed, and I'm wondering if they're significant:

Our Significant Other always talks in a whisper, like he's afraid to raise his voice. Even before he got sick, for lack of a better term, he was quiet.

When Red hums, she doesn't hum the music like I was expecting. She hums an accompaniment to it. Can she hear the theme music, or is that purely a stylistic choice?

Either way, great LP! I'm always happy to see more subtitled LPs out there, especially of games that deserve it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Videos are ready! Episode 8's beginning is part of the story (as well as mulling on the hammock) but is otherwise all Sandbox stuff.

Episode 9 picks up from exiting the Sandbox in this area.

Subject and Limiter data in the OP will be updated sometime later.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 17, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Wow, that was awesome. I really liked that little conversation. Its a really cute moment. I must say, the music in this game makes everything seem chill as hell, funny given that everything is going to hell in a hand basket. It also makes combat pretty funny, here's all these things trying to kill you, and there's the music, making me wanna close my eyes and rest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That terminal chat was heartwarming. :3:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
And this is where I stopped playing, because the Spine was a bitch to fight and I was down to just one function by the time I beat it. Just not in the mood to pick it up again right now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's really not a very good fight. Just a lot of running back and forth while chipping down an enormous HP bar.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
looks to me like you could easily cheese the boss with a lot of Load() spam and Mask()/Jaunt().
Crash() would also lower its defense, making that even easier to accomplish.

Have I mentioned I enjoy this game's aesthetic a lot? :allears:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Aww, it was just the Spine? Here I was thinking the reason there was nobody else in the Transistor was because they slowly got absorbed by it, and we were going to have to do something to fix that. It's sort of lame that it was just "Oh, a Process did it"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, for why Sword-Guy was having such difficulty, when your system has a huge process requiring a lot of resources, what's going to happen to any others?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Aww, it was just the Spine? Here I was thinking the reason there was nobody else in the Transistor was because they slowly got absorbed by it, and we were going to have to do something to fix that. It's sort of lame that it was just "Oh, a Process did it"
The role the Transistor plays regarding the Process is actually a big mystery that gets solved little by little as the game continues. I have no idea if the presence of the Spine itself causes resource distortion or if its literal job is to counter the Transistor, but we can share theories as more info about the Transistor comes to light!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 19, 2015

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This area is possibly my favorite. Lots of little world building moments, your "guide" is out of commission, and possibly my favorite moment. Red's not a damsel in distress, she's got murder in her eyes and will break yours if you get in her way. It's beautiful that little moment between them both on the terminal.

I'll agree that the Spine fight is not very fun, but I feel that the little journey you take after you defeat it is an artistic feast for the eyes. Plus, "Old Friends" is my favorite song in the game. There's a reason I have the trailer saved on my YouTube page.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I could listen to that song for hours. The moment I've heard it at the start of the game I knew it will be something special.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
My supreme defensive combo in this game was Spark() + Jaunt() & Switch(). It's a spammable, double-pulse ranged AoE that charms. You can keep a dozen enemies at bay and fighting among themselves easily. After I found it, I didn't even need to Jaunt or Mask anymore - if anything so much as looked at me, I made it go away.

Kill things in Turn() with whatever combo you desire, then spam away while recovering. It carried me through the game twice over with near constant max limiter usage.

Ashalia.Lufiende
Sep 9, 2011

Kurieg posted:

That seems to be part of the idea behind the Transistor, and the functions thereof. They boil down people to their most defining trait which they then put into the system to 'benefit' everyone. Switch() is from Farrah Yon-Dale, who was a sky painter. Mask() is from an escape artist. Help() is from Sybil who probably genuinely believes that she was helping people.

I have a feeling that they also seem to be targeting people who are...well, extraordinary in what they do. Perhaps extraordinary to the point that it was no longer normal, or something.

Reminded me of a certain short story I read a while ago (I can't remember the title or the author); it was about a world where nobody was special and everyone was like everyone else. If anyone was just a little different (in the story, they talked about a ballerina who danced better than her other dancers), they would attach something on them to make them function less than they were (in her case, it was something metal contraptions of some sort) and more normal like everyone else.

Going back to the game, this kinda makes the name 'Camerata' very ironic. I checked out its name and I got this:

quote:

The Florentine Camerata, also known as the Camerata de' Bardi, was a group of humanists, musicians, poets and intellectuals in late Renaissance Florence who gathered under the patronage of Count Giovanni de' Bardi to discuss and guide trends in the arts, especially music and drama

...or maybe I'm just thinking too much on this. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Ashalia.Lufiende posted:

I have a feeling that they also seem to be targeting people who are...well, extraordinary in what they do. Perhaps extraordinary to the point that it was no longer normal, or something.

Reminded me of a certain short story I read a while ago (I can't remember the title or the author); it was about a world where nobody was special and everyone was like everyone else. If anyone was just a little different (in the story, they talked about a ballerina who danced better than her other dancers), they would attach something on them to make them function less than they were (in her case, it was something metal contraptions of some sort) and more normal like everyone else.

Going back to the game, this kinda makes the name 'Camerata' very ironic. I checked out its name and I got this:

...or maybe I'm just thinking too much on this. :shrug:

Judging by the descriptions of the functions, it seems to me that the Camerata isn't trying to eliminate the extraordinary people, but rather trying to... aquire them, for the lack of better word, with the only exceptions being those who were close to catching on to them. Also, note that they're not actually targetting the most famous personalities, generally prefering either up-and-coming or already retired ones. Which makes this situation all the more weird, because I don't think even multiple best-known personalities outright disappearing would have made half the ruckus this whole "Process" business is making. They either lost control, or at the very least Red escaping forced their hand much earlier than they would have liked to.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread