Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ashalia.Lufiende posted:

Reminded me of a certain short story I read a while ago (I can't remember the title or the author); it was about a world where nobody was special and everyone was like everyone else. If anyone was just a little different (in the story, they talked about a ballerina who danced better than her other dancers), they would attach something on them to make them function less than they were (in her case, it was something metal contraptions of some sort) and more normal like everyone else.

Frisky Dingo posted:

X-tacle #1: So...who's read Flowers for Algernon?
Nearl: Ken!
X-tacle #2: Oooh, about the kid with all the chains, and the goggles, and at the end he gets killed with a shotgun?
Xtacles #2, #3, #4: Boosh
X-tacle #1: That's Harrison Bergeron.
Xtacles #2, #3, #4: Hollywood Squares!
X-tacle #1: That's Tom Bergeron.
X-tacle #2: Brother of Menelaus!
X-tacle #1: drat it, that's Agamemnon!

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashalia.Lufiende
Sep 9, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

Harrison Bergeron.

YES! That's the one! Thank you!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Aumanor posted:

I don't think even multiple best-known personalities outright disappearing would have made half the ruckus this whole "Process" business is making. They either lost control, or at the very least Red escaping forced their hand much earlier than they would have liked to.

The Process are running rampant and destroying the city, as reported in the OVCs.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Finally got around to beating the game. It was... okay. I love the music and the art style and the voicework, but the gameplay and plot didn't work for me.

Oh well, I'll still get plenty of fun from this LP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I wouldn't mind if you got rid of the cheerleader limiter once you unlock more function slots so you can show off more combinations at once.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Kurieg posted:

I wouldn't mind if you got rid of the cheerleader limiter once you unlock more function slots so you can show off more combinations at once.
That's what's on my mind. I'm not using Limiters so much for the challenge or to show off, but rather because I want to get as much XP as possible to get more Functions and Limiters to decrypt them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are limiters really that useful for this? Each one is only giving you 2 or 3% at best. I suppose if you go hog wild and slot every limiter it will make a difference in the amount of XP you get, but so far it seems that they are only putting you 1 fight ahead, if anything.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean it's your call really. If a limiter is significantly hindering you then don't feel obligated to keep it activated beyond the point you need to in order to get the data on it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Limiters don't really benefit you, they're just for making the game fun on later playthroughs. Playing with every limiter on makes it a whole new game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think that up until now the Camerata were targeting people who could plausibly be absent. A master illusionist, a hard-headed reporter, a speed-junkie driver, a cop three days from retirement, a gallery owner who blew up at critics at the opening.

I don't think Red fits that profile, though. Maybe it's the start of phase 2?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

I think that up until now the Camerata were targeting people who could plausibly be absent. A master illusionist, a hard-headed reporter, a speed-junkie driver, a cop three days from retirement, a gallery owner who blew up at critics at the opening.

I don't think Red fits that profile, though. Maybe it's the start of phase 2?

Red was the one person Sybil couldn't get close to, and this vexed her enough for her to disregard the normal precautions.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I would have another video up this past weekend, but like a real idiot I accidentally deleted the raw footage of the next episodes alongside the raw footage of the previous ones. Because the game autosaves its progress, I had to restart from the beginning of the game. I beat the Spine this time using plenty of explosive firepower, and saved the game at the access point with the same loadout I left with on episode 9.

I'll try to have a video up sometime this week, and another on the weekend!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

No pressure. I wish all games provided the player with multiple save points, there really is no point restricting you with just one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

omeg posted:

No pressure. I wish all games provided the player with multiple save points, there really is no point restricting you with just one.
I mean, unless it's explicitly a roguelike. Which Transistor isn't.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

We've got a two-for-one update, as promised! The OP is all caught up to the episodes' progress, so if you want to read more about the Subjects or the Process, do head over there after watching the videos.

Note that A-side has a relatively long Sandbox segment. If you want to skip it, watch until 4:40 (post-hammock mulling), then jump to 21:04.

Edit: The videos have been uploaded recently, so if you want the HD versions, just hang tight until YouTube finishes the HD processing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Even though we got a heavy dose of plot in this update, I'm more surprised to find out that the Process are really starting to grow some teeth. These updated versions are starting to get really nasty.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Spoilers because this is right after the update: Ashter killed himself 30 minutes after Grant and 17 minutes before you get to him, which means that most of his responses to Red through the consoles are personal. I can only assume Grant had already killed himself before Red had even started ascending Bracket Towers, thought. Consider all those communications keeping that in mind, him responding to Red that whole time as the most important man in the world to him cooled on the floor having killed himself mere minutes earlier. He was remarkably strong, stronger than Grant.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
And here's where poo poo hits the fan, before it becomes turned into a white cube that tries to kill you. I believe those were smaller versions of The Spine jumping around at the beginning of the flight sequence, which raised my eyebrow the first time I went thought it.

Also, I love how the battle summary screen labels our boss battle for this part: Cowards indeed, who left a mess and then left without cleaning it up. But why? I'm still a little confused on that part, even with all the exposition at the end of the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm a little confused as to the why as well. I get the feeling that Royce didn't tell the others what would happen. Combined with Sybil's little white lie everything blew up in their faces.

Also I didn't realize that you could Get Asher's trace before you find his remnant. Does he show as Integrated on the function screen now, or is he still Recorded?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I'm a little confused as to the why as well. I get the feeling that Royce didn't tell the others what would happen. Combined with Sybil's little white lie everything blew up in their faces.

Also I didn't realize that you could Get Asher's trace before you find his remnant. Does he show as Integrated on the function screen now, or is he still Recorded?
While we haven't discovered more Function data right now, I think the reason is that Grant, as the head of the Camerata, felt personally responsible for what happened to Cloudbank. The loss of the Transistor, combined with the ensuing fallout of having the entire city fall victim to this faceless deconstructing horror, made him desperate and completely hopeless, so he chose to take his own life rather than be Processed like Sybil was.. As for the trace, Asher's still Recorded rather than Integrated, because his Function had already been safely stored in the Transistor when the Camerata still had control of it. Adding his trace to the Transistor didn't unlock anything new, so it was kept as-is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Veyrall posted:

Even though we got a heavy dose of plot in this update, I'm more surprised to find out that the Process are really starting to grow some teeth. These updated versions are starting to get really nasty.
The one thing I'd say the game really nails gameplay-wise is giving enemies new toys at the same rate you get yours.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One thing you didn't show off was that if you keep going back and forth with the last launcher, the Transistor gets angry at you.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

One thing you didn't show off was that if you keep going back and forth with the last launcher, the Transistor gets angry at you.
I actually didn't know that was a thing. I'll record it for bonus material.

EDIT: Done. Kind of a cute angry, though. :3:

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 1, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I do like how in all the pictures of the Camerata, and the way they're talked about; the impression is given that Grant will be the big bad. But it's just a red herring.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Samovar posted:

I do like how in all the pictures of the Camerata, and the way they're talked about; the impression is given that Grant will be the big bad. But it's just a red herring.
He could have been the Big Bad of another game, one where the the Process are kept under the Camarata's control and Grant wields the Transistor. It seems he had quite the magnetic personality, and was the driver of the creation of the Camarata in the first place. But this is not that game. Grant completely fell apart when he lost the Transistor, and the Camarata crumbled around him.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

He could have been the Big Bad of another game, one where the the Process are kept under the Camarata's control and Grant wields the Transistor. It seems he had quite the magnetic personality, and was the driver of the creation of the Camarata in the first place. But this is not that game. Grant completely fell apart when he lost the Transistor, and the Camarata crumbled around him.

It does seem to be an exercise in the folly of hubris. Like Icarus, he found he could fly, and went so high that he crashed hard. I did like that little moment of realization though when I walked in. "Grant needs me" indeed.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Everyone seems to know how the Transistor works but us...

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just accidentally stumbled onto this thread, and caught up.

I really love that this game rewards changing up your play-style and reorganizing your functions. Since the enemies learn your moves, trying something new throws them off quite a bit. If you get stuck, one of the best strategies is to do a full swap-out on your function setup and try something entirely new.

As for the complaints about out-of-turn() action, there's plenty of options as the game goes along. My final load-out (used almost exclusively in New Game++) was entirely out-of-turn() abilities and only used turn() to boss-clear. It was pretty B-A. Maybe, once the LP is done, I'll share my favorite builds.

In other news, I was at an anime con this last weekend and saw an awesome Red cosplayer. She actually built an impressive life-sized Transistor prop. I'll see if I can remember to post the photo up.

I am pretty psyched to read everyone's' further musings on the plot and gameplay.
<3 Transistor.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here is a very relevant Fun Fact: Transistor is currently free on PS+ in EU and NA. EU store has already updated, presumably NA has too but I don't know. In any case if you have a PS4 there is now zero excuse to not own Transistor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any way to download the videos, ideally to an iPad? I've got some flights coming up and I'd love to catch up.

Pento McGreno
May 4, 2004

Cheese.

Subjunctive posted:

Is there any way to download the videos, ideally to an iPad? I've got some flights coming up and I'd love to catch up.

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

This'll add a download button to YouTube pages. Download the videos to your computer, copy to your iPad.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Sadly, I haven't made the videos available for downloading, mostly because I pay through the nose for Internet service and I wasn't aware anyone even wanted to download the videos! I'd go with Pento McGreno's github suggestion.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's also this https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6060860?hl=en but I've never really tried it out myself.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I kinda wonder how much, in terms of data, was lost in the archive.

Because 1.6*10^13 files has got to be a lot even if they're just text files about the citizens.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A short update this week!

The Get() Function and its appropriate subject data will be uploaded to the OP later. The Priority Limiter is already uploaded though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's here that the Process get really unnerving.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm not sure if it's because I missed it my first time through, or just didn't notice it... but that one OVC terminal is really perturbing.

Author: At Risk. Author: Being Processed. Author: Deceased. All in a matter of seconds, all without your input. All in reference to the newslady we've been getting OVC updates from the entire game. And most of the rest of Cloudbank's populace.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Transistor just hit me like a brick. Is this an allegorical story? I would write a lot of words but I don't want to do that before the end, nor do I want to while other people may want to figure it out for themselves or whatnot, or am I just finding meaning in nothing?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I like that you keep Crash() on all the time. It only seems right for Red to keep her own ability equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Crash() brings quite a lot of bang for its cost to any combination of abilities, so even if you don't pick it as a primary ability, it is always worth to at least slot it in as an augment or passive (or when recursing: both)

• Locked thread