Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

my eyes already work fine stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
wish i coul get lasik to not see your posts

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Long term PRK is more painful but longer lasting and leaves no flap

But you could say people getting LASIK are... Shortsighted

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Long term PRK is more painful but longer lasting and leaves no flap

But you could say people getting LASIK are... Shortsighted

oh man

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hemophilia posted:

I've had glasses for so long (since 2 years old) that they've actually become a part of my body image and I've had multiple opportunities to get lasik or just contacts and i've turned them down because I metaphorically cannot see myself without glasses

6 months old here, but i got cataract surgery and apart from my retinas crunching my eyes into paste have fairly decent vision now compared to like 20/500 in one eye without glasses. still wear glasses though

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got LASIK at 21 after Iraq and I'm now 30, and had to get glasses again at 29. Some loving bullshit.

Granted, my prescription is REALLY weak and I don't always have to wear the glasses. But still.

I almost want my money back except getting it done is so fuckin' awesome I'd pay it again for another 8 years of no glasses.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Double post: I got the kind where they take a literal razor blade to your eye and cut the flap.

That is some fuckin' Dead Space 2 poo poo while you stare straight ahead while they take a BLADE TO THE FRONT OF YOUR EYE.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
LASIK better start coming with lifetime kenmore warranties

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

My last eye exam, 5 or 6 years ago they said LASIK would only lessen my prescription, and I'd still need glasses. I have pretty bad astigmatism. Has the technology emerged that will give me superman eyes yet?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
They have technology that maps the pores of your loving eyeballs and account for them giving you real night vision.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Binge posted:

My last eye exam, 5 or 6 years ago they said LASIK would only lessen my prescription, and I'd still need glasses. I have pretty bad astigmatism. Has the technology emerged that will give me superman eyes yet?

Don't talk to an optometrist. Actually go to the surgeon and talk to them.

One is an expert. The other has a business where they sell you glasses.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't talk to an optometrist. Actually go to the surgeon and talk to them.

One is an expert. The other has a business where they sell you glasses.

agreed. also if your back is hosed up go to a chiropractor, doctors are just scam artists. and you would not believe the poo poo I've dug up about vaccines

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Double post: I got the kind where they take a literal razor blade to your eye and cut the flap.

That is some fuckin' Dead Space 2 poo poo while you stare straight ahead while they take a BLADE TO THE FRONT OF YOUR EYE.

Get Lasik idiot!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPitqV4wWTM

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Mad Archivist posted:

agreed. also if your back is hosed up go to a chiropractor, doctors are just scam artists. and you would not believe the poo poo I've dug up about vaccines

STFU. You don't know what you are talking about.

There is a big difference between a SURGEON and a doctor.

This is nothing about quackery. The optometrists are not experts. The surgeons are. Don't get laser advice from an optometrist. They will almost never tell you it is a good idea. The surgeon will tell you what you can actually expect.

I had astigmatism in both eyes.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
I dont need lasik or glasses so rekt XDD

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Get Lasik idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMOYNFlaCY

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I had Wavefront LASIK 8 months ago. I had -7 contacts with an astigmatism in both eyes and had worn glasses for close to 20 years before I got it done. Like many people in this thread my optometrist told me I wasn't a good candidate but then I got a second opinion (from another optometrist) and got the pre-screening eyeball tests done, then got the tests repeated with a surgeon and they both said I was a good candidate for it so I got my eyeballs lasered and now I can see. My optometrist was correct in that I wasn't a candidate for LASIK about 10 years ago when she'd last read up on it but the technology is always improving and many optometrists don't keep up with it.

The only downside was the panicky OH poo poo FORGOT TO TAKE OUT MY CONTACTS feeling I'd get when I'd wake up in the middle of the night actually being able to see for the first month or so afterwards.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
just slice the anterior chamber\ flip, and zap the iris. shoot the core! please sedate me while u take a scalpel to my eye, acquaintance who wants my money!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I have squinty eyes, so when I take my glasses off, I look half asleep. Wearing glasses gives me more defiantion in my face - I don't look like myself not wearing them.

Also, I can feel them on my face when I'm no wearing them, its like some phantom pain type thing, I'm guessing that's normal.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I have way too many enemies down at the post office to risk going under while in the presence of a laser.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
laserbeam my butthole doc

make it hot!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wear glasses and I like them

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
You've made some fine points, my only excuse is I've gotten so used to having glasses I kinda forget lasik even exists.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

How much did you LASIK-goons' eyesight improve? I've heard that some people can get up to 20/10 vision.

E: Yeah, I was in the military and wanted to get it right before I got out. But the recovery is 3-4 months, and they wanted me to extend my contract for 3-4 months, and I said gently caress that. Supposedly they were going to require snipers to get it, even with 20/20 vision, for better accuracy/combat effectiveness.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 1, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

How much did you LASIK-goons' eyesight improve? I've heard that some people can get up to 20/10 vision.

Well it's fairly common procedure for people in the US military since the government will pay for the procedure and results are pretty good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I can't get Lasik Op but thanks for your concern.

I have Kerataconus in both eyes, really bad in the left eye so the eye doctors put an intac ring into my left cornea and soon they will be doing corneal cross-linking on both eyes to stop it progressing.
Then it's semi-rigid contacts or glasses for life.......

Still it's all been free thanks to the NHS

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't you get it, the optometrist wants to sell you glasses, the lasik surgeon wants to persuade you to have lasers shot into your eyeballs

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
How gay would it be if I got LASIK then non prescription glasses for when I wanted to feel fancy?? My nose has a bridge on the top that looks weird without glasses, like my face was designed to suit my lovely eyes

Also all my optometrists have always said I could get lasik and I'm a good candidate so suck on that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my glasses are pretty loving cool and i'm old and married already so, no, OP.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Lasik was the best $1200 bucks I ever spent. I got LASIK in 2001 and my eyes are still awesome. I don't remember what the numbers were but my vision became blurred at three feet out before. They corrected me all the way to 20/15 and I'm still at that level all this time later. Whatever degradation my eyes were going through back then completely halted.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have an appointment to get an exam by a LASIK place this weekend. Super excited about not having to buy and trash expensive glasses and safety glasses anymore. Hopefully they won't gently caress up.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

Why would you get inferior LASIK when you could get much superior PRK? Enjoy your detached eye flaps when you rub your eyes in your seniors.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Parallax Scroll posted:

my eyes already work fine stupid

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
* Being able to see my own feet in the shower (It sounds kinda weird, I know. But being able to see 100% of the time feels loving amazing)
* Being able to stand around outside in the freezing cold (Wisconsin winter) and then being able to go inside without my glasses fogging the gently caress out and rendering me blind for as long as it takes for them to warm up

Seriously.

On the other hand nobody is going near my eyes knives/lasers

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Doesn't LASIK gently caress up your close up vision so you need reading g lasses anyway? Why would I gently caress up my super sharp close up vision so I can read a loving traffic sign I could see fine with my normal glasses or use my contacts becuase I'm not a child.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 5, 2014

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My friend's dad had LASIK surgery about five years ago and it got so hosed up he's completely blind. Why would I do this to myself?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Methanar posted:

* Being able to see my own feet in the shower (It sounds kinda weird, I know. But being able to see 100% of the time feels loving amazing)
* Being able to stand around outside in the freezing cold (Wisconsin winter) and then being able to go inside without my glasses fogging the gently caress out and rendering me blind for as long as it takes for them to warm up

Seriously.

On the other hand nobody is going near my eyes knives/lasers

I have better than 20/20 vision and I can't see my own feet in the shower. I'm jealous.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Stoic Commie posted:

two week contacts are the hotness

lol if you don't use the day and night ones you just take out and change once a month. They breathe great and my vision has actually improved since I started wearing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

lol if you don't use the day and night ones you just take out and change once a month. They breathe great and my vision has actually improved since I started wearing them.

seriously, they own. there's no reason to keep wearing glasses unless youre a bitchlord who gets squeamish about putting something in your eye, lol.

• Locked thread