Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Tirade posted:

Finally, a sports role model for kids that auspol can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Does Bolt usually worship Newman?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ABC rolling results:

Legislative Council: http://www.abc.net.au/news/vic-election-2014/results/legislative-council/

Lower House: http://www.abc.net.au/news/vic-election-2014/results/

Legislative Council looks like ALP having to figure a face-saving way to woo the Greens not to mention a bunch of micro-parties. But I know their results in the lower house depended on good Greens prefs also, so some pressure can be applied.

The lower house probably won't get finished for a few days and the LC will take longer.

Edit: for tragics, here's the detailed version:

http://tallyroom.vic.gov.au/vtr/tallyroomdistricts.html

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 1, 2014

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Bolt has aneurisms and shits words onto a page using mad libs style templates with right wing turds

i got banned fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 1, 2014

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

THE APARTHEID JUSTICE OF THE KOORI COURTS

Jesus christ, Bolt.

(Not that this is especially egregious by his standards, but since I usually avoid Bolt's poisonous nonsense, if I happen to read some, the awfulness of it can still hit me for six.)

kaguya
Apr 4, 2013

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

THE APARTHEID JUSTICE OF THE KOORI COURTS

Jesus christ, Bolt.

(Not that this is especially egregious by his standards, but since I usually avoid Bolt's poisonous nonsense, if I happen to read some, the awfulness of it can still hit me for six.)

That's the definition of willfully ignorant.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Interestingly the bottom left picture is actually from 2004 for the second reading of a bill to triple the cost of tuition fees for universities in the UK and according to that article the bottom right is actually from the years first sitting after the 2010 election

Honestly though QT is a complete joke here in Australia and doubly so in the HOR with Bronwyn Bishop and any absent parliamentarian is likely being far more productive doing literally anything else at this stage

kaguya
Apr 4, 2013

That's not even Australia, GAR-BAGE DICK.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

This is bullshit fyi

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/the-menace-of-memes-how-pictures-can-paint-a-thousand-lies/

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Tirade posted:

What's the latest on the Greens result in Vicpol? ABC has them ahead in Melbourne but are still predicting zero Greens seats in their overview?

Mark my loving words. This isn't done yet. There is so much dust still left to settle in the lower house, to say nothing of the upper house. I've been amazed at how the media has called all sort of really close seats like Melbourne.

Also, East West Link? Dead under Andrews? Believe it when you see it. We're not there yet.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The most offensive part is that he gets paid to write this poorly. The salty tears must have gotten in the way while proof reading.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Victorian Nationals Leader has stepped down (as leader).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kat Delacour posted:

The most offensive part is that he gets paid to write this poorly. The salty tears must have gotten in the way while proof reading.

I stopped reading once I got to this sentence since I knew it was no longer applicable to our universe:

quote:

Again, does all this sound familiar to the Abbott Government, which let Labor off the hook

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

ewe2 posted:

I must add something for the IRC that has been left out of the standard boilerplate, for people new to the IRC channel: in addition to the bot watching out for the gendered insults, the ops also watch out for them and a ban of a day for the worst words is now standard. Please also avoid offensive fake user@hosts, you will be banned until you change them if you want to participate. This became necessary after certain abuses.

You're a dick.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Did, uh, one of this thread's regulars get a special mention in one of Bolt's blog posts today ("Russell was right")?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Chiwie posted:

You're a dick.

IRC is Very Serious Business

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hawaiian_robot posted:

Did, uh, one of this thread's regulars get a special mention in one of Bolt's blog posts today ("Russell was right")?

They did. Holy poo poo.

:stare:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Smug Labor posted:

Spurred by four years of conservative State Government and the worst conservative Federal Government in living memory, the Victorian Greens Party primary vote surged by a whopping 0.02%. Clearly the Party of the future.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hawaiian_robot posted:

Who is it?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Amethyst posted:

Who is it?

Sorta not comfortable not connecting a forum name to someone's actual identity, especially when I don't know the person personally.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Fair enough. Well done, whoever you are!

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Who is it?

quote:

I’m a white, queer, disabled, middle class Italian-Australian woman
Take a guess.

:lol:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

What the bleeding eye gently caress?

This man is suffering some serious doublethink. Newman is going to be chewed up next year, there is far too much wrong with this to address it all.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm surprised he didn't look up how many hours she spends playing Steam games.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Lewis Report is out: http://www.communications.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/243786/ABC_and_SBS_efficiency_report_Redacted.pdf

Preview:

quote:

The study has identified five key areas that may lead to significant operational efficiencies or savings:
- Better resource allocation—efficiencies from better matching supply and demand in service delivery

Also, the best part of the IRC gendered slur bot isn't even that it blocks gendered slurs, it's that it actively keeps out the kind of people that are literally unable to control themselves and will kick up poo poo about not being able to use certain words. The meltdowns are spectacular.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm surprised he didn't look up how many hours she spends playing Steam games.

Pretty much the SASS doxx given to these guys http://www.menzieshouse.com.au/?page_id=4560

From their About US:

quote:

Non-Partisan and independent
Many of our team (and even our name) comes from what might be described as the Australian right however we are fiercly non-partisan and independent of any political party, union or corporation. We will applaud good policy wherever we see it and criticise bad policy wherever we see it.

Unless otherwise specified all content solely reflects the opinion of the author and not the editorial team, a political party, employer or any other organisation.

Many of our team (and even our name) comes from what might be described as the Australian right however we are fiercly non-partisan and independent of any political party, union or corporation. We will applaud good policy wherever we see it and criticise bad policy wherever we see it.

Unless otherwise specified all content solely reflects the opinion of the author and not the editorial team, a political party, employer or any other organisation.

So much Dunning-Kruger today.

kaguya
Apr 4, 2013

Is the term "JOY-BOY" filtered? I think you are inadvertently denying people a right which is 100% theirs; sexual identity.

Is your comfort more important than Australians inalienable rights? (As a queer myself)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I successfully used the term boypussy yesterday so I suspect not

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

Abbott also insisted “the budget emergency started to abate the instant the government was elected to deal with it”.

Hmm, it's almost as if 'the budget emergency' was entirely make-believe.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:catstare: at Menzies house, and Andrew Bolt today.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Someone buy Andrew Bolt an account so he can read the AusPol threads, I don't think his precious little heart would be able to handle it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Some highlights from the Lewis Report:

Centralising operations in Sydney:

quote:

the ABC could abolish State and Territory Directors and absorb their functions within other positions in ABC management. The ABC could achieve modest efficiencies if it centralised its switchboard operations to Sydney and (for evening operations) Perth.

On classic FM being cut:

quote:

It is understood that the ABC is considering a reduction in the number of live recordings on Classic
FM to 370 in financial year 2014-15. Should the ABC reduce the number of live recordings to 370,
a potential saving of up to $1 million may be achieved from savings in broadcast rights and artist
fees and a reduction of 20% in FTEs associated with live music concert recordings. Given the low
average weekly audience of Classic FM, this reduction in numbers could assist in lowering the cost
per listener.

Some of the working behind this stuff is totally hilarious/nuts. As an example, they take the budget of the SBS (~294m) and number of finance FTE positions (24.2) and compare it to the ABC (~923m) and 80.1m, and discover that if the ABC had the same rate of finance/FTE as the SBS, they'd need 4 fewer less FTEs. Hence, one saving is to make 4 FTEs redundant. Anybody with a modicum of intelligence would realise that some organisations have different levels of budgetary difficulty than others and budget management is not a linear scale, but apparently this is not considered.

This same idea has been applied to virtually every department - ie. IT services, which the ABC (according to that metric) has 41 FTEs too many. This, of course, completely ignores that the ABC operate their own datacenters and IT infrastructure above and beyond SBS that require maintenance and operational staff.

Pretty much every item that was on that list leaked a few days ago was made based on this set of assumptions, meaning that virtually all the numbers are totally meaningless. It is, therefore, entirely understandable why Scott made the decisions that he did.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Spurred by four years of conservative State Government and the worst conservative Federal Government in living memory, the Victorian Greens Party primary vote surged by a whopping 0.02%. Clearly the Party of the future.

And the cute thing is ALP needed Greens prefs to get there. They'll have a cry about that later when we stop doing it or maybe sooner if we won't play their game in the LC.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

loving QUIT ALREADY YOU DIPSHIT

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

The gently caress is any of this poo poo. Truly, he writes from another universe.

edit: the Guardian QT live blog is great right now.

quote:

A Dorothy Dixer for the prime minister.

Q: My question is to the prime minister. Will the prime minister outline to the house actions the government has taken in 2014 to strengthen the economy and deliver real benefits for families and small businesses in my electorate?

Tony Abbott:

I do thank the member for Barton for his question. This has been a year of delivery of the Australian people.

(Theatrical laughter from folks opposite.)

It has.

W-we delivered tons of stuff, you guys :negative:

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 1, 2014

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tony Abbott posted:

“I accept what we are doing with the ABC is at odds with what I said immediately prior to the election but things have moved on, circumstances are different. Going into that election, the then government was telling us the deficit for that year would be $18bn, it turned out to be $48 billion. I think sensible governments are not only entitled but, indeed, expected to change when the circumstances change.”

He's also backed down on defence force allowance changes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Choice quotes from Tony Abbott today.

quote:

In what amounted to an admission of jitters within government ranks and a pep talk for the Coalition’s fresh start next year, Mr Abbott:
• Acknowledged voters’ discontent, but said they would better appreciate his policies “over time”;
• Argued that voters know “where the government’s heart is” and would re-elect it in 2016;
Compared his first year to the “diabolical position” of newly elected Prime Minister John Howard in 1996, and pointed to the Howard victory in 1998;
• Said his reference to “barnacles” last week was intended to foreshadow plans to get policies through the Senate, not to abandon them.
Last week, Mr Abbott took two days to agree that he had, on election eve, promised there would be no funding cuts to the ABC and SBS, having just announced some $300 million in cuts to the broadcaster.
Today he pleaded that there had been a change of circumstances, and denied it was a broken promise.
“Things have moved on. Circumstances are different,” he told reporters.
“Going to that election, the then government was telling us the deficit for that year would be $18 billion. It turned out to be $48 billion.
“I think sensible governments are not only entitled to, but are expected to change when circumstances change.”

So a complete reversal of everything he said while Gillard was in power, and his big hope now is to replicate an election where the Coalition actually lost the popular vote.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

He's hosed, and he knows he's hosed. Expect cabinet-level leaks pretty soon.

Incidentally, Warren Truss is ill and thinking of retiring very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Brick's also unwell and is laid up in hospital.

• Locked thread