Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Reigns was one first place vote from winning, and had more first place votes overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Daniel Bryan posted:

Reigns was one first place vote from winning, and had more first place votes overall.
Yeah but gently caress Kane

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i (purposely) left reigns entirely off my ballot. i singlehandedly saved roman reigns. will accept payment in merch

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was pretty surprised to see ROH/NJPW's Toronto PPV get nominated for Best Show and not the NYC one. I was at the Toronto one and I still thought NYC was better.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was pretty surprised to see ROH/NJPW's Toronto PPV get nominated for Best Show and not the NYC one. I was at the Toronto one and I still thought NYC was better.

Yeah, that was one of the most puzzling albeit minor results to me as well.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

most overrated/underrated really needs to be changed to pushed because thats how it's always used

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Agreed. Only thing I can think of is... maybe a lot of people got mixed up on which one was which?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Bunch of Canadians voted for "their" show, probably

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a common internet thing where people who go to a specific live event (music/sports) immediately think they witnessed the best show ever because "I WAS THERE, MAN!".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

There's a common internet thing where people who go to a specific live event (music/sports) immediately think they witnessed the best show ever because "I WAS THERE, MAN!".

So where were the NYC fans in the voting?

I'm not saying that Stephen Harper stacked the Observer Awards, but the pieces fit.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

So where were the NYC fans in the voting?

They're not stupid

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm so proud that WON readers voted my first live event as the worst wrestling show in the world in 2014.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm so proud that WON readers voted my first live event as the worst wrestling show in the world in 2014.

It wasn't even that terrible of a show, too. What's the last time WWE really had an absolute disaster of a show on the level of like, KOTR 95 (or pick a 99-00 WCW PPV, I guess)?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It wasn't even that terrible of a show, too. What's the last time WWE really had an absolute disaster of a show on the level of like, KOTR 95 (or pick a 99-00 WCW PPV, I guess)?

December to Dismember 2006

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

battleground 2013 was pretty loving rotten

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It was easily the worst show I saw all year aside from 99% of raws.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder if Daniel Bryan is sadly looking at all his Best Technical Wrestler trophies lined up on his shelf, a single tear rolling down his cheek thinking about what could have been.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

triplexpac posted:

I wonder if Daniel Bryan is sadly looking at all his Best Technical Wrestler trophies lined up on his shelf, a single tear rolling down his cheek thinking about what could have been.

Do they even get anything for winning the Observer awards? Knowing Dave, I assume they get a xeroxed certificate in plaintext.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

dsriggs posted:

Do they even get anything for winning the Observer awards? Knowing Dave, I assume they get a xeroxed certificate in plaintext.

Dot Matrix banners.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Someone photoshop that AJ Styles picture, except replace the main text with Wrestling Observer Most Outstanding Wrestler.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Cardboard Box posted:

most overrated/underrated really needs to be changed to pushed because thats how it's always used

Pretty much. No one is "overrating" Kane, it's pretty much acknowledged that he's at the end of his career and sucks. But he is definitely being used too much for that role. Kane should not be a WWE championship challenger or anywhere near the main event of a PPV these days.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
oh man did anyone check tnamecca yet

edit: oh it's not a forum? i guess theyre not likely to report on it then...

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Spermgod posted:

Amazingly, the awards haven't even been brought up over there. A lot of general Dave hate, though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

Tato posted:

Pretty much. No one is "overrating" Kane, it's pretty much acknowledged that he's at the end of his career and sucks. But he is definitely being used too much for that role. Kane should not be a WWE championship challenger or anywhere near the main event of a PPV these days.

The official definition is basically most over and under pushed anyway.

Big Dave posted:

14. MOST OVERRATED - The wrestler who gets the biggest push, despite lacking ring ability or charisma. Last year's top three were Randy Orton, Ryback and HHH.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - The wrestler with the most ability, who, for whatever reason, doesn't get a push commensurate with their ability. This should be based on this past year, and not a business reputation earned in prior years. Last year's top three were Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler and Tomohiro Ishii.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The confusion comes about because people don't realise it means how the promoters/bookers rate them, not the audience/readers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was surprised Royal Rumble was the third worst show of the year. I didn't think it was that bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was surprised Royal Rumble was the third worst show of the year. I didn't think it was that bad.

I th-DANIEL BRYAN!-ink it migh-DANIEL BRYAN!-t have had less to- DANIEL BRYAN!- do with the show-DANIEL BRYAN!- than with the-DANIEL BRYAN!- booking.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Spermgod posted:

They should be delighted that impact has risen from the depths of worst weekly show. Proof that TNA is on the rise once more!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaz-L posted:

I th-DANIEL BRYAN!-ink it migh-DANIEL BRYAN!-t have had less to- DANIEL BRYAN!- do with the show-DANIEL BRYAN!- than with the-DANIEL BRYAN!- booking.

TBH Bryan/Wyatt was really the only great match. Cena/Orton wasn't bad in-ring but the fans absolutely killed it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

TBH Bryan/Wyatt was really the only great match. Cena/Orton wasn't bad in-ring but the fans absolutely killed it.

I'll say that the fans were the only thing saving that match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cena-Orton and the Rumble were both fine, they just were NOT what the crowd wanted to see that night.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Bryan/Wyatt was a fringe MotY candidate and Roman made a big step forward at the Rumble. It was very flawed, but did a few things really well.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

81sidewinder posted:

Bryan/Wyatt was a fringe MotY candidate and Roman made a big step forward at the Rumble. It was very flawed, but did a few things really well.

the crowd would have completely lost their mind if Roman had won last year, it's the only plausible thing that would have saved the show to them. wrestling is a fickle beast

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Nerokerubina posted:

the crowd would have completely lost their mind if Not Batista had won last year, it's the only plausible thing that would have saved the show to them. wrestling is a fickle beast

because it really could've been almost anybody in that last 2, tbh

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

dsriggs posted:

because it really could've been almost anybody in that last 2, tbh

it is super revisionist history to not acknowledge how over Roman was this time last year with internet dorks and casual fans alike. he won the observer's most improved. people were legitimately suggesting he should break the streak.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Shield in general was super-over and breaking them up is probably one of the worst booking decisions WWE's made in the last decade.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Nerokerubina posted:

it is super revisionist history to not acknowledge how over Roman was this time last year with internet dorks and casual fans alike. he won the observer's most improved. people were legitimately suggesting he should break the streak.

It's not much worse than pretending the crowd in the building gave a poo poo about Roman & his eliminations until they realised that either him or Batista would be in the main event of Wrestlemania & chose a side.

The Shield was over as gently caress, yes. That night, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Great White Hope posted:

The Shield in general was super-over and breaking them up is probably one of the worst booking decisions WWE's made in the last decade.

I think it might have worked if they hadn't bungled the Rollins/Ambrose feud so badly at the end. I mean, assuming (and that's a big assumption) Reigns works out in the end, they break up a tag team and get a top heel, top babyface, and a near-top face/tweener. That's exactly what you want to get out of breaking up a tag team, it's just that Reigns' push has been terrible and they stuck Ambrose in an awful feud that hurt his heat.

• Locked thread